Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Most of the comics in question are commenting on political and ideological subjects, how does that not fit the political cartoons thread?

I guess I consider a "political cartoon" to be one that (often) discusses actual current events, not just political themes.

That said, Zelda is pretty cool and way better than anything else posted in this thread so I'm not actually gonna complain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Someone please let Branco know how much Reagan got paid for his first speech after leaving office in 1989.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

loquacius posted:

When you're the Senator from Vermont, you need a place in DC and a place in Vermont.

Why?

loquacius posted:

The retirement home was bought with money his wife inherited.

Why not donate it all to charity? Why not donate it to employees who lost their jobs when she – again – bankrupted a college?

My hairshirts are not selective. Wear 'em or don't.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

because you need to spend long stretches of time in both places :confused:

can you verify for me that most congresspeople do not do that, because it seems extremely straightfoward to me

quote:

Why not donate it all to charity? Why not donate it to employees who lost their jobs when she – again – bankrupted a college?

My hairshirts are not selective.

Dude, buying a lakehouse in rural Vermont with inheritance money is not the same thing as accepting that house's value in payment from powerful financial interests for a single speech when you're already a multimillionaire, and stop trying to shittalk his wife please, Christ

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Fulchrum posted:

It's amazing how this evidence of the abandonment of working class politics never has a loving thing to do with actual goddamn policy, it is always some bullshit purity scandal.

hillary gleefully declaring that coal jobs will disappear

hillary yelling that single-payer healthcare will never happen

hillary refusing to support $15 minimum wage and half-heartedly pushing for 12 after people gave her poo poo over it

the democrats have absolutely abandoned labor and the only reason they get to claim otherwise is because the other guys are worse

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Tut tut, he can only be failed!

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Trevor Noah is a weak attempt to keep the Daily Show going after Jon Stewart left, and Democrats defending Obama giving $400,000 Wall Street speeches demonstrate that they've learned nothing from the 2016 election. Bernie would have won, hail Satan.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

erm, Malcolm X didn't have a long, skinny face

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Brother Entropy posted:

hillary refusing to support $15 minimum wage and half-heartedly pushing for 12 after people gave her poo poo over it

the democrats have absolutely abandoned labor and the only reason they get to claim otherwise is because the other guys are worse

Because Damnit, Hillary should have said she'd bring back those worthless, outmoded jobs that will destroy the earth, lied to people and told them something she knew first hand would not succeed, and pushed a system that doesn't differentiate economies of different parts of the countries so ever cost of living needs to be set against what works for New York. That would show she cares for the working class, lying to them, treating them like children, then treating them like they are all the same - it's a trifecta of things they love.

Fulchrum fucked around with this message at 20:58 on May 1, 2017

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

There's just something about Obama compared to other presidents that make people think he shouldn't be getting paid.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

D.N. Nation posted:

erm, Malcolm X didn't have a long, skinny face
It's more Denzel Washington playing Malcolm X.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Obama getting pid too much should be a pro-taxes democrat talking point. "We agree that this man and people like him make too much on useless poo poo, make them pay for your roads and cancer instead."

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Fulchrum posted:

Because Damnit, Hillary should have said she'd bring back those worthless, outmoded jobs that will destroy the earth, lied to people and told them something she knew first hand would not succeed, and pushed a system that doesn't differentiate economies of different parts of the countries so ever cost of living needs to be set against what works for New York. That would show she cares for the working class, lying to them, treating them like children, then treating them like they are all the same - it's a trifecta of things they love.

'these things you think will help are actually all bad' isn't a great motivator if it doesn't also come with 'but here's what will help instead'

donald trump somehow managed to understand that better than the modern democratic party

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

D.N. Nation posted:

Tut tut, he can only be failed!

ok so

you are responding to criticism of a politician you like by talking poo poo about the wife of a politician you don't like

and this is your response to me calling you out on deflection

:ironicat:

(for the record I like Obama too, as records of my years of posts ITT will support, I just think he shouldn't have taken this payday and it's a legit thing to criticize him on)

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Brother Entropy posted:

'these things you think will help are actually all bad' isn't a great motivator if it doesn't also come with 'but here's what will help instead'

donald trump somehow managed to understand that better than the modern democratic party

Oh, you mean like, say, pushing modern green energy jobs in place of coal jobs on these towns, expanding and improving Obamacare to improve services, and ensuring that blue states with a higher cost of living did adjust their minimum wage to fit their localised economies better?

You know, the things that she said directly after each of these massive, unforgettable betrayals of the working class. Amazing how they seem to just magically slip your mind.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

loquacius posted:

talking poo poo about the wife of a politician you don't like

shhhh i voted for bernie

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

SSNeoman posted:

Which us government program does this apply too again? Medicare? National Park regulation? School programs?

Road maintenance, clearly, which is why Trump is right to try to funnel a trillion dollars into toll roads.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

D.N. Nation posted:

shhhh i voted for bernie

ok stop deflecting obama criticism onto his wife then plz TIA

I'd really not like to relitigate the primary in here, so how you voted isn't really my concern. My only point is that criticizing the paid speech is legit if you're not a Republican using it as a concern troll

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

loquacius posted:

ok stop deflecting obama criticism onto his wife then plz TIA

And I'd ask that in the future you differentiate between starting an argument and responding to one. I was doing the latter.

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type

nice

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Fulchrum posted:

Oh, you mean like, say, pushing modern green energy jobs in place of coal jobs on these towns, expanding and improving Obamacare to improve services, and ensuring that blue states with a higher cost of living did adjust their minimum wage to fit their localised economies better?

You know, the things that she said directly after each of these massive, unforgettable betrayals of the working class. Amazing how they seem to just magically slip your mind.

her campaign had very little interest in pushing these kinds of policies in her ads over just going 'trump bad' in a million different ways and poo poo like the public/private policy and a lot of labor being burned on nafta previously meant that those who did hear it didn't have faith that hillary was a trusthworthy politician whose policies would actually help them

the democrats have abandoned labor and their anemic federal/state presence isn't going away until they realize that

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Just tell voters that Trump's tax cuts will benefit Obama and watch their heads explode.

D.N. Nation posted:

shhhh i voted for bernie

I voted for Bernie in the primaries too, but I didn't hold some blood-grudge when he lost the nomination.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Brother Entropy posted:

Coal jobs will disappear, dude. It's an obsolete industry. I don't think Hillary was particularly "gleeful" when she said that, but if she was, it was because coal mining is a lovely, dangerous job that directly increases the likelihood that life on Earth dies out in the next millennium. Saying that coal jobs will disappear doesn't make you cruel, it makes you smart and optimistic. To put it another way - you're trying to make this out as Hillary's "let them eat cake" moment. But wouldn't it have been much worse if she'd said "let them mine coal"?

Hillary Clinton practically introduced America to the idea of single-payer healthcare. You're misinterpreting her saying "Republicans won't let us get away with implementing single-payer healthcare" as her actually criticizing the concept somehow, which is some patently disingenuous bullshit.

The minimum wage is nice but the idea that our society should only have a safety net for people who work is pretty fuckin' neoliberal, my man.

The only labor who don't still support the Democrats are terrible people, who I'm not entirely convinced work at all. Who the hell would hire a non-rich Trump supporter?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
But it's very important to note that Clinton "yelled" or "gleefully declared" things because we need people to know she's a bitch, you see.

Hey guys remember that thing we desperately wanted to be a scandal? Well here it is again, 100 days after any possibility of it still being relevant. We really need to keep Clinton in the spotlight. It's very important.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

D.N. Nation posted:

And I'd ask that in the future you differentiate between starting an argument and responding to one. I was doing the latter.

D.N. Nation posted:

Bernie wasn't forthright in releasing his taxes and his wife bankrupted a college. And "very little wealth" is only contextual; Sanders currently has three more houses than I do, I believe.

You weren't the first one to utter the dread name of Sanders, but you're the one who brought up the lakehouse and his wife, and you did this in response to an argument over Obama's paid speech to Wall Street

I don't really see what I could have misinterpreted about this or why any of it is relevant. It is a deflection.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

21 Muns posted:

Coal jobs will disappear, dude. It's an obsolete industry. I don't think Hillary was particularly "gleeful" when she said that, but if she was, it was because coal mining is a lovely, dangerous job that directly increases the likelihood that life on Earth dies out in the next millennium.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhKA1uX2UmI

Seems pretty happy to me.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

^^^ ahaha i forgot the exact question she was asked, what a terrible soundbite

Vib Rib posted:

But it's very important to note that Clinton "yelled" or "gleefully declared" things because we need people to know she's a bitch, you see.

please don't imply i'm a misogynist because i think hilary clinton ran a bad campaign, it's very rude and diminishes actual misogyny

Brother Entropy fucked around with this message at 21:29 on May 1, 2017

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Brother Entropy posted:

her campaign had very little interest in pushing these kinds of policies in her ads over just going 'trump bad' in a million different ways and poo poo like the public/private policy and a lot of labor being burned on nafta previously meant that those who did hear it didn't have faith that hillary was a trusthworthy politician whose policies would actually help them

the democrats have abandoned labor and their anemic federal/state presence isn't going away until they realize that

See? Abso-loving-lutely nothing to do with policy, and instead just talking about bullshit "scandals". And it is so ingrained in you, that you will say it over and over again no matter how bullshit its proven to be.

Are you going to even try to address that? No, instead you're going to be continually falling for Republican tu quoque arguments slavishly, and continually just agreeing with them , saying "The Dems are exactly as bad".

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

loquacius posted:

You weren't the first one to utter the dread name of Sanders, but you're the one who brought up the lakehouse and his wife, and you did this in response to an argument over Obama's paid speech to Wall Street

I don't really see what I could have misinterpreted about this or why any of it is relevant. It is a deflection.

Your complaint is noted for the record.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Brother Entropy posted:

^^^ ahaha i forgot the exact question she was asked, what a terrible soundbite

please don't imply i'm a misogynist because i think hilary clinton ran a bad campaign, it's very rude and diminishes actual misogyny

You mean like calling Trump a racist is actually the real racism since its applying the word racist to a guy who is totally not a racist?

Sure, no way you could ever have any faults, right?

Fulchrum fucked around with this message at 21:36 on May 1, 2017

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Fulchrum posted:

See? Abso-loving-lutely nothing to do with policy, and instead just talking about bullshit "scandals".

i'm just following hillary's lead

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Fulchrum posted:

You mean like calling Trump a racist is actually the real racism since its applying the word racist to a guy who is totally not a racist?

deak you are trying to put an impressive amount of words into my mouth

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
pls do not refight the dem primary for the umpteenzillionth time

or at least if somebody can find a bunch of politoons about it instead

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Brother Entropy posted:

i'm just following hillary's lead

You got that response from Conway, right?

Brother Entropy posted:

deak you are trying to put an impressive amount of words into my mouth

Right, there's a world of difference between "I'm not a misogynist, calling me a misogynist just makes real misogyny worse" and "I'm not a racist, calling me a racist just makes real racism worse". For examples, one of them is said by you.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Fulchrum posted:

Right, there's a world of difference between "I'm not a misogynist, calling me a misogynist just makes real misogyny worse" and "I'm not a racist, calling me a racist just makes real racism worse". For examples, one of them is said by you.

deak are you really calling me a misogynist because i said hilary made some mistakes

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Please do not engage Fulchrum; it only encourages him

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Brother Entropy posted:

deak are you really calling me a misogynist because i said hilary made some mistakes

"Are you really calling Trump a racist because he said that some Mexicans are criminals?"

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

loquacius posted:

Please do not engage Fulchrum; it only encourages him

As opposed to you, who can quite easily stay out of a discussion that they're not wanted in. How'd you respond to someone saying anything against your precious Bernie?

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Brother Entropy posted:

a lot of labor being burned on nafta previously

Labor didn't even get mildly warmed from NAFTA and other trade agreements, let alone burned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
It's bizarre how willing the left is to buy in 100% to "them foreigners took our jerbs!" as an excuse, while completely ignoring automation.

• Locked thread