Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Baka-nin posted:

Huh, I keep seeing that blank face wearing a black cap thumbnail in my recommends all the time. I guess I'll give this a watch and see where it goes. The last time I saw a guy "review the reviewers" though wasn't pretty. Quite bitter and I think the guy went up to Spoony's house when he was still in the middle of his breakdown.* Just noticed that Australian fellow, in the footage, what did he do on the site again?

* Well that's just from memory, can't even recall the guys name, just a choppy guy with a beard.

That Aussie Guy? From what I remember he was a early hire on TGWTG and his content wasn't... great, at all. After the first anniversary event, a couple of other producers mentioned he was kinda a pushy dickhead, then something happened and he was fired. I can't recall if whatever it was ever went public, but the dude went on a LordKat style "Obsessively bitch about TGWTG, try to occasionally harass producers" thing before just dropping off the face of the earth.

Also, what was the name of the first guy who tried that Reviewing the Reviewers shtick? I remember he was a major trainwreck with a chip off his shoulder as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

There was also a blog that obsessively catalogued everything Brad Jones did and insulted him for it. And a wiki that had pictures of all the reviewers' feet, but I feel like that's probably part of a bigger trend that's disgusting in a different way.

cosmically_cosmic
Dec 26, 2015

Jack Gladney posted:

There was also a blog that obsessively catalogued everything Brad Jones did and insulted him for it. And a wiki that had pictures of all the reviewers' feet, but I feel like that's probably part of a bigger trend that's disgusting in a different way.

The Brad Jones one is specifically weird. Maybe it was that bi-polar guy who got kicked off the crew all along? I mean apparantly he had a history of weird aggressive behaviour and like mild schizophrenia or some poo poo. It just seems so weird for someone to pick Brad Jones of all internet reviewers to hate.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

SteelMentor posted:

Also, what was the name of the first guy who tried that Reviewing the Reviewers shtick? I remember he was a major trainwreck with a chip off his shoulder as well.

Aliseri? I think that was his name. Had a face that looked like it wept olive oil.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

SteelMentor posted:

That Aussie Guy? From what I remember he was a early hire on TGWTG and his content wasn't... great, at all. After the first anniversary event, a couple of other producers mentioned he was kinda a pushy dickhead, then something happened and he was fired. I can't recall if whatever it was ever went public, but the dude went on a LordKat style "Obsessively bitch about TGWTG, try to occasionally harass producers" thing before just dropping off the face of the earth.

Asalieri?

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Mischalaniouse posted:

I've never heard of this person, but this video suddenly popped up in my suggested videos (thanks YouTube, you know just what I like :rolleyes:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Srp-pPmCjc8

Apparently he's going to talk about each TGWTG person one by one, and judging from what he says at the end of this video and judging by the other videos on his channel, it doesn't sound like it will be favorable.

Judging by his other videos and the kinds of people commenting on them, he also seems like kind of a piece of poo poo, but like I said, never heard of him before.

Don't know anything about this guy and looking at the titles of his other videos makes me raise an eyebrow but this TGWTG video alone is on point. Metokur is even sympathetic to Doug Walker, so I'll continue watch this series.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

SteelMentor posted:

Ah yes, I see they were really hitting out the park with the name creativity even back then. What even was his content?

Arcsquad12 posted:

Aliseri? I think that was his name. Had a face that looked like it wept olive oil.

Yes thats the name or something close enough to it. Thinking back I'm not sure if he did go to Spoony's house but some of his "fans" definitely did.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

cosmically_cosmic posted:

The Brad Jones one is specifically weird. Maybe it was that bi-polar guy who got kicked off the crew all along? I mean apparantly he had a history of weird aggressive behaviour and like mild schizophrenia or some poo poo. It just seems so weird for someone to pick Brad Jones of all internet reviewers to hate.

It had a lot of antisemetic stuff about Spoony if that's who you mean. It's still up--the last post is from about a year ago and about Violet dumping Brad. But who knows, Maybe Spoony hates himself too.

cosmically_cosmic
Dec 26, 2015

Jack Gladney posted:

It had a lot of antisemetic stuff about Spoony if that's who you mean. It's still up--the last post is from about a year ago and about Violet dumping Brad. But who knows, Maybe Spoony hates himself too.

No, I meant the guy who used to be in the Midnight Screenings reviews then slept with Brads girlfriend and she was like 'I love both of you lets have a three-way marriage' and then they all fell out.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

cosmically_cosmic posted:

No, I meant the guy who used to be in the Midnight Screenings reviews then slept with Brads girlfriend and she was like 'I love both of you lets have a three-way marriage' and then they all fell out.

Was that "Angry" Jake?

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

Hungry for responsibility. Horny for teamwork.

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP
The last I heard about Asalieri, he was caught sending threatening voice messages to a former collaborator, and hung outside his house in his car. Then he hooked himself up to the alt-right train, doing videos hating on Anita Sarkeesian. Now he's... apparently doing game reviews? I don't really want to watch any of his videos, so I just checked his channel.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

bessantj posted:

Was that "Angry" Jake?

It sure was.

FoldableHuman
Mar 26, 2017

Mischalaniouse posted:

I've never heard of this person, but this video suddenly popped up in my suggested videos (thanks YouTube, you know just what I like :rolleyes:)

Apparently he's going to talk about each TGWTG person one by one, and judging from what he says at the end of this video and judging by the other videos on his channel, it doesn't sound like it will be favorable.

Judging by his other videos and the kinds of people commenting on them, he also seems like kind of a piece of poo poo, but like I said, never heard of him before.

Given that "Related Channels" are Carl of Swindon and Bearing I think it's pretty safe to write the dude off.

Also he's openly re-posting pro-fascist memes on his Facebook, so there's that.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

When they pretend they're actually the drawing in the thumbnail that's when you can guess that they're scum. That one has a 100% success rate for me so far.

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Mischalaniouse posted:

Ooh, MisterMetokur jumping on the "reviewing reviewers" train. Is it 2010 again?

Haven't really watched his videos, but I recall seeing some of his tweets around. Very much an anti-SJW type, so I expect a bit of piss and vinegar on that when and if he covers people like Lindsay or Todd.

And yeah, the Spoony thing was fans outside his house. Thanks ED!

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Mischalaniouse posted:

I believe this guy used to be the Internet Aristocrat, whom if I remember right was sort of a proto sargon.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

That video itself wasn't too bad, but looking at the related suggestions to his channel and the crowd in the comments, oohboy.
You don't even have to be left leaning or progressive (or both) to see that that is not a balanced crowd.

FoldableHuman
Mar 26, 2017

WHY BONER NOW posted:

I believe this guy used to be the Internet Aristocrat, whom if I remember right was sort of a proto sargon.

Oh, right, Jim. He's the rear end in a top hat who made the "Five Guys" video that GG rallied around/sprung from.

Yeah, I well and truly don't care how salient a point he makes about Doug, I hope he gets a nasty zit on his ballsack that refuses to go away.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

There's a book coming out in June about the gamergate crowd by political scientist Angela Nagle called Kill All Normies. I'm quite looking forward to it. She's written pretty good articles about them for the Baffler and Jacobin.

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

MAY YOUR HALLOWEEN BE AS STUPID AS MY LIFE IS

Baka-nin posted:

Yes thats the name or something close enough to it. Thinking back I'm not sure if he did go to Spoony's house but some of his "fans" definitely did.

I can't find it now, but I know during the whole Lupa/JO/chained in the basement thing, Asalieri and RazorFist made a super creepy video inviting him out for a beer. All while saying poo poo like "Beer doesn't get offended at harmless jokes." Even said Spoony's tweets were okay because of a Tuskegee expierments joke at one of the Comedy Central roasts.

fake edit - Apparently RazorFist works for Vince Russo now.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Jim Sterling offers business advice for Nintendo to make up for being assholes.
Noah Caldwell-Gervais compares Mass Effect Andromeda to the Trilogy.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Yeah...Nintendo ending the NES Classic is probably the first time I ever truly went "What the gently caress Nintendo". What other company does that kind of thing?

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

BigRed0427 posted:

Yeah...Nintendo ending the NES Classic is probably the first time I ever truly went "What the gently caress Nintendo". What other company does that kind of thing?

It wouldn't surprise me if Nintendo tried to pull some Capcom-style shooting themselves in the foot. From the sounds of things their upper-management suffers from the same demographic problems.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

The bigger question to me is what sort of company expects people to drop big bucks on non-expandable, limited game availability 'sd card soldered to an emulator' boxes.

I mean aside from SNK with the Neo Geo X. Or, hell, any one of a number of companies who've made things that Ashens has reviewed if we're going there.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

SteelMentor posted:

It wouldn't surprise me if Nintendo tried to pull some Capcom-style shooting themselves in the foot. From the sounds of things their upper-management suffers from the same demographic problems.

Yeah, that's the key thing to remember, no matter how bright and colourful and plasticy childlike Nintendo tries to present itself as, the people at the helm are a collective of Old Japanese Businessmen. That is why Nintendo keeps doing tone-deaf, out of touch things that make people like Jim loving Sterling, Son piss blood at a high psi level: it's a company run by Old Japanese Businessmen.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Polygon wrote about Hbomb's DS2. For better or for worse, he's gonna get a huge influx of "gamers" coming to his channel.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

(Gamers are loving terrible)

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

nine-gear crow posted:

Yeah, that's the key thing to remember, no matter how bright and colourful and plasticy childlike Nintendo tries to present itself as, the people at the helm are a collective of Old Japanese Businessmen. That is why Nintendo keeps doing tone-deaf, out of touch things that make people like Jim loving Sterling, Son piss blood at a high psi level: it's a company run by Old Japanese Businessmen.

Spot on. It's loving baffling to see a company turn down profit, but they are so conservative and set in their ways it's insane. It's also a weird look for an industry that is constantly innovating.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

It's the same thing that was the downfall for Sega back in the day. Nintendo has been very lucky.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

ZeeBoi posted:

Polygon wrote about Hbomb's DS2. For better or for worse, he's gonna get a huge influx of "gamers" coming to his channel.

He will help them grow up.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.
I'm going to make a video series where all I do is review my previous video.

I'll start a Patreon with goals like

- $500 / video: will do a React video to each review.
- $1000 / video: will also do a Response video for each Review.
- $5000 / video: will have screencaps of reviews printed out on random items from Cafe Press, and do unboxing videos of my review videos.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Speaking of Patreon, Spoony is at $739.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Jack Gladney posted:

He will help them grow up.

It is Polygon, so it probably won't be the major assholes.

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

The bigger question to me is what sort of company expects people to drop big bucks on non-expandable, limited game availability 'sd card soldered to an emulator' boxes.

I mean aside from SNK with the Neo Geo X. Or, hell, any one of a number of companies who've made things that Ashens has reviewed if we're going there.

I can see the appeal to more casual fans who just wan't a greatest hits collection of a old system. Honestly the NES Classic for me would have just been a collector's item but the decision to stop it still makes no god drat sense.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

the unediting coughing and stumbling over words and the talking without breathing to the point of running out of air and gasping for more is driving me crazy

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

My favorite part of that dude's video on TGWTG is when he referred to a "guerrilla mindset" among the crew for the first anniversary video and I had to convince myself he wasn't talking about them having alpha posture and doing NoFap Nootropics

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

AriadneThread posted:

the unediting coughing and stumbling over words and the talking without breathing to the point of running out of air and gasping for more is driving me crazy

That's just the way Noah does stuff. If it means anything, he is far better now than he was when he started.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

I Before E posted:

My favorite part of that dude's video on TGWTG is when he referred to a "guerrilla mindset" among the crew for the first anniversary video and I had to convince myself he wasn't talking about them having alpha posture and doing NoFap Nootropics

Im not watching that video but are you sure he wasn't talking about "gorilla mindset", a phrase coined by nerdlinger Mike Cernovich, an alt right mouthpiece? Wait I didn't mean "nerdlinger" I meant "disgusting vile shithead"

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Im not watching that video but are you sure he wasn't talking about "gorilla mindset", a phrase coined by nerdlinger Mike Cernovich, an alt right mouthpiece? Wait I didn't mean "nerdlinger" I meant "disgusting vile shithead"

That is, in fact, the joke I was making, and given that the guy doing the video went on to talk about how they were a small crew working on their own terms I assumed he meant to refer to guerrilla filmmaking.

I Before E fucked around with this message at 02:20 on May 2, 2017

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
The general theory in the Nintendo threads on the NES Classic is there was a limited contract with the license-holders of the third-party titles, because manufacturing just stopped after something like almost exactly 6 months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Hah, the Escapist just dumped their only webcomic and their film reviewer. Literally the only things they have left are Yahtzee's videos and a game critic who yells at Jim Sterling for not liking Yooka Laylee.

• Locked thread