Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

infernal machines posted:

the article linked last page specifically says it's a vulnerability in the AMT/ME firmware. if your platform doesn't ship with AMT/ME support there is nowhere for that firmware to exist. feature compatibility on ME enabled CPUs does not make the firmware appear on the platform

tl;dr: consumer boards are not affected. enterprise systems should have sccm or similar in place to deploy ME firmware patches as they're made available.

it's bad. it's not the intel apocalypse. "every intel box made in the last 8 years is vulnerable" is not just hyperbole, it's completely inaccurate

right, so every single thinkpad and

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

atomicthumbs posted:

right, so every single thinkpad and

it's bad. it's not the intel apocalypse.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

you are putting a lot of hope in to there only being a single way to compromise the blackbox ME when it has direct and unrestricted access to the cpu, memory controller, firmware, and network interfaces of every single cpu intel ships and cannot be disabled

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

im glad that Gamers and people dumb enough to buy a celeron netbook with a 32gb sd card for storage, at least, will be able to escape the upcoming catastrophe

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

you are putting a lot of hope in to there only being a single way to compromise the blackbox ME when it has direct and unrestricted access to the cpu, memory controller, firmware, and network interfaces of every single cpu intel ships and cannot be disabled

i repeat, despite the hyperbole of the article it does not have this

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
signal can send files now https://twitter.com/geoffwking/status/859121958759219201
:eyepop:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

you can't exploit me firmware on a board that does not have me firmware.

consumer platforms do not have me firmware even if the cpu supports me feature

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

i repeat, despite the hyperbole of the article it does not have this

lol yes it does go read the architecture documentation from intel

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

how about you show me where it says that management engine components are active and accessible on all systems using ME compatible CPU skus?

i really want to know how a platform that does not have amt/me is vulnerable to an attack on amt/me, and you seem very certain that they are, so if you can spell it out for me it would help.

e: everything i've read about this as a threat vector that isn't straight up :tinfoil: from hackernews assumes chipset support for the features

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 21:02 on May 1, 2017

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
maybe now we can stop bloviating https://security-center.intel.com/advisory.aspx?intelid=INTEL-SA-00075&languageid=en-fr

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

quote:

This vulnerability does not exist on Intel-based consumer PCs.

huh

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
eh the "not on consumer pcs" stuff is misleading because a smattering of consumer boards are going to have support for it since they have "non consumer" cpus.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
not directed at you, i meant "hey here's some actual data"

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

fishmech posted:

eh the "not on consumer pcs" stuff is misleading because a smattering of consumer boards are going to have support for it since they have "non consumer" cpus.

:ughh:

you can have a cpu that supports ME on a platform that does not, and vice versa.

some consumer boards may have support for it, and paired with a supported cpu it can be activated. but on boards without chipset support it does not appear to be accessible regardless of whether the cpu supports it.

ig bangersinmyknickers has some evidence to the contrary, i'd love to see it

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

you can have a cpu that supports ME on a platform that does not, and vice versa.

some consumer boards may have support for it, and paired with a supported cpu it can be activated, but on boards without support it does not appear to be accessible regardless of cpu support.

ok moron: here's what you're not getting. "non consumer" boards are in a lot of "consumer" pcs, because a lot of "consumers" are buying higher end boards meant for environments where the management engine is supported

most likely it'll be a certain kind of gamer idiot who thinks buying workstation/server stuff is needed for games, and then a bunch of people using machines that used to work machines and were actively managed int heir former environment using the management engine functionality.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

yeah, cool and all, and i acknowledged that possibility several times. but bimk is not saying that, they're saying every single system with a supported i5 or i7 cpu is vulnerable, somehow.

in the case of the 2fast2furious pc gaming crowd, and people bringing old pcs home from work, what's the attack vector? someone breaks into their house and plugs in a malicious usb device? they accidentally port forward the amt/vpro port though their router to the internet at large?

like, i'm not sure what everyone's so eager to argue about. the threat is real, it's incredibly broad. it's just also beyond hyperbole to suggest it affects every system sold with an intel cpu since 2008. to the extent that it's a real concern, it's primarily so in managed environments that can take steps to mitigate it, assuming they haven't been compromised by some state level actor's 0-day already.

script kiddies are not going to be rooting uncle owen's shitbox dell from bestbuy via a gif in his email

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 21:40 on May 1, 2017

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

fishmech posted:

ok moron: here's what you're not getting. "non consumer" boards are in a lot of "consumer" pcs, because a lot of "consumers" are buying higher end boards meant for environments where the management engine is supported

most likely it'll be a certain kind of gamer idiot who thinks buying workstation/server stuff is needed for games, and then a bunch of people using machines that used to work machines and were actively managed int heir former environment using the management engine functionality.

so basically, anyone with a high-quality laptop

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

cinci zoo sniper posted:

sometimes even allowing letters to be entered in either upper- or lower-case?

allowing inverted case is fine, people have done the math

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

lol if you've bought a bus ticket any way except anonymously with cash at the station

lesser lol for taking greyhound an appreciable distance but there's something to be said for traveling interstate for cheap

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
This owns.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

some consumer boards may have support for it, and paired with a supported cpu it can be activated. but on boards without chipset support it does not appear to be accessible regardless of whether the cpu supports it.

Here you go:

Asus Z97 "Sabertooth Mk2" mid-high end consumer motherboard.
i7 4790k high end consumer CPU

Hey, look at that, there's the Intel ME showing its face.

Libreboot and Coreboot both have good documentation, with the caveat that Libreboot's Stallman-esque position shines through brightly.

https://libreboot.org/faq.html#intelme
https://www.coreboot.org/Intel_Management_Engine

There is also a tool to neuter the ME to a certain extent: https://github.com/corna/me_cleaner

Apparently while you can't modify it or remove it entirely you still can delete most of its settings and modules and it'll happily run with reduced functionality. For those with systems that won't get an official fix it seems like a reasonable thing to try, if you're comfortable loving around with your boot ROM.

edit: http://invisiblethingslab.com/resources/misc09/Quest%20To%20The%20Core%20%28public%29.pdf

Black Hat '09 presentation about achieving code execution on the AMT/ME CPU on a Q35 chipset system, stating that the hardware still exists and is accessible even on systems where it's not officially enabled.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 15:06 on May 2, 2017

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

yes, because that's a board that has the intel me components. notice how it's a device enumerated on the pci bus?

i did not say that no consumer boards have me components, but many do not. i am not at a loss as to what the intel me is, i've seen the links you've posted.

e: have you checked to see if you can connect to your system remotely with the amt tool?

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 15:14 on May 2, 2017

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

also lol if you think using some random poo poo off the web to arbitrarily modify uefi/me firmware is somehow better than a hypothetical exploit that can't be used against your system remotely

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

ME was a mistake

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

flakeloaf posted:

ME was a mistake

it's not just intel, no matter who does it any me would have been a mistake

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i'm p. sure that's a very old windows joke

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i'm p. sure that's a very old windows joke

i'm p. sure the response was also a very old windows joke :shrug:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Midjack posted:

lol if you've bought a bus ticket any way except anonymously with cash at the station

lesser lol for taking greyhound an appreciable distance but there's something to be said for traveling interstate for cheap

buying them online is like half the price

also guarantees me a seat during busy holidays which is when I'm on the bus

Chris Knight fucked around with this message at 17:04 on May 2, 2017

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Chris Knight posted:

half, poo poo, sometimes it's like 10% of the price

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Chris Knight posted:

i don't envy the person who has to ride greyhound around ontario during the holidays

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

i don't envy the person who has to ride greyhound around ontario during the holidays

lol at this specifically but

i don't envy the person who has to ride greyhound

burning swine
May 26, 2004

yes, because that's a board that has the intel me components. notice how it's a device enumerated on the pci bus?

i did not say that no consumer boards have me components, but many do not. i am not at a loss as to what the intel me is, i've seen the links you've posted.

e: have you checked to see if you can connect to your system remotely with the amt tool?

so i've checked like 8 or 9 strictly consumer devices so far, and ME is available/accessible on all of them so far

includes pretty run-of-the mill poo poo like this XPS 15

just sayin'

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

how is it accessible?

everything i have to test with has it as an advertised feature, but i know we've sold entry level stuff that doesn't and iirc there was no me device driver installation

burning swine
May 26, 2004

how is it accessible?

a board that has the intel me components. notice how it's a device enumerated on the pci bus?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

yes, okay so it shows up in device manager. how do you access it to send a command?

e: i'm asking because the exploits so far, and even the whitepapers, seem to all presuppose the existence of AMT or other remote management related me integrated hardware. if the platform doesn't have those, what happens?

e2: that same device shows up on a dell that has a core i3 that doesn't have me support

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 18:14 on May 2, 2017

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

yes, okay so it shows up in device manager. how do you access it to send a command?
lol

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

what? the existence of that device is indicative of chipset support for me features, not that the feature is active or accessible to anything

i have a dell here that has that running a cpu that doesn't support vpro, so what me features are available to exploit? remember how the argument was that all supported cpus were somehow exploitable? even if that were the case, that pci device appears whether or not a supported cpu is present, so it can't be indicative of an exploitable system, can it?

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

the most dangerous part of IME is that it is exposed at the hardware level outside of the OS. if this fact escapes you then you clearly dont understand what it is. and if you don't understand how compromising such a system could be leveraged to attack the installed OS then you shouldn't be posting here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

the IME require two components to function

1) CPU support, available on supported i5 and i7 CPUs

2) Chipset support on the mainboard

it is entirely possible to have one or the other without having both, and thus a functioning IME environment, which has been my whole point this entire loving time.

people are posting device viewer screenshots like it proves something. all it shows is that their system has chipset support for IME. that device is present whether or not the IME can actually function

it is also possible to have a supported cpu in a board that does not have chipset support, the claim was that even in that case IME was exploitable, despite tha fact that all the theoretical exploits rely on additional ME components like AMT, which require chipset support.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 18:36 on May 2, 2017

• Locked thread