Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I picked out a few neat pieces I wanted to keep from this pile of ancient Legos I got from a yard sale a while back, they had a musty old locked suitcase for a dollar, they didn't know the combination to unlock it so I smashed it open when I got home and inside it was full of Legos from the 60's. and plan on selling the rest. Anything particularly interesting? It's not all in the best shape either simply due to the nature of the old bricks(tended to warp over time) or play damage, some pieces are broken, etc, but what should I sell them for? There's a bunch of those really old giant lego gears, window pieces I didn't even know existed, and the like. Also, the original 1x1 round brick that is in basically every set these days, which at one point apparently didn't have a tapered base, it was just a round 1x1 brick straight down.

Should I just put the whole pile up on Ebay for like 50 bucks and see if anyone bids? A lot of pieces are interesting novelties, like the plates you can see along the bottom that don't have round underside patterns, but just straight up have a grid of squares for the lego studs to plug into.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'd hang on to the windows at least.. they're pretty unique pieces. The red doesn't really match up with the modern red but it's close enough to get by.

I have a handful of them and they're handy.

They have two variants too, some come with "glass" in them, some are just the frame. If I remember right they actually melted the transparent plastic into place so they couldn't be removed. Not sure if that makes them more or less valuable but it's worth checking.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Doesn't look like the old stuff is particularly collectible or anything. Even that big red gear only goes for a buck on Bricklink. They're interesting in an 'evolution of product design' sense, since few product lines have been around for 50+ years while still staying compatible throughout that time.

I see the waffle-bottom plates in bulk brick bins every now and then. They might make an interesting design element for a MOC that you can't really reproduce with modern pieces. I know I've seen some MOCs include that big red gear as a unique design element, too.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

DrChud posted:

Think the Saturn will be hard to come by like the exo-suit was when it came out? Like will scalpers be grabbing it due to the price? Or more like ecto-1 where it wasn't too hard to find

This reminds me of the regret I have not getting the Japanese Ideas precursor sets when I saw them in Japan, the Shinkai and Hayabusa

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Pyroclastic posted:

Doesn't look like the old stuff is particularly collectible or anything. Even that big red gear only goes for a buck on Bricklink. They're interesting in an 'evolution of product design' sense, since few product lines have been around for 50+ years while still staying compatible throughout that time.

I see the waffle-bottom plates in bulk brick bins every now and then. They might make an interesting design element for a MOC that you can't really reproduce with modern pieces. I know I've seen some MOCs include that big red gear as a unique design element, too.

Yeah I'd just keep them. You could do some cool stuff with MOCs with the waffle bottoms if you were building in different directions. I'd try to make them into one of those multi missile launchers mechs always have or something haha.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Thor sets are coming out. Are "action hands" a new thing? I like the little gladiator match thing there. Esp. Jeff Goldblum in lego.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Those look like normal lego hands?

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
If you mean the Power Blast thing, it's a new-ish feature that clips into hands and had a tab you press to "launch" it out of the hands.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Every time Lego tries to make a thing that shoots it's either insanely OP for a childs toy or limp and pathetic. Which of the two are the little hand thingers?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Appears to be in the OP category

https://youtu.be/o43pos_WBOw

Nothing compared to the spring loaded ones though probably.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

veni veni veni posted:

Appears to be in the OP category

https://youtu.be/o43pos_WBOw

Nothing compared to the spring loaded ones though probably.

Oh so the springing action is in the projectile not the hand?

That little piece just says eye damage to me.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I love the shooty bits. My 4 year old doesn't stop giggling trying to shoot pieces out of my hands while I build.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

The UK Lego site is selling S17 minifigs, but I haven't seen any in shops yet.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
Lego store in Austin was selling S17 but limiting them to five per customer.also had a bunch of busted up boxes, so I snagged a U-wing for 10% off.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.
So the snow speeder appears to be already listed as backordered with no estimated date to be back in stock.

I wonder if they really ran out of the first batch or if they are simply holding some back for when it becomes generally available on Thursday?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

ivantod posted:

So the snow speeder appears to be already listed as backordered with no estimated date to be back in stock.

I wonder if they really ran out of the first batch or if they are simply holding some back for when it becomes generally available on Thursday?

Backordered? Where? UK?

US store still says Coming Soon.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Feenix posted:

Backordered? Where? UK?

US store still says Coming Soon.

Yeah, it's across all of Europe. It was available for a couple of days for VIP members only, but now it says it will ship in 30 days, whatever that means. Here is an example of Switzerland, but it's the same for other countries in Europe:

So I'm not sure what's their plan here, considering it's supposed to become generally available on Thursday, the 4th.

Especially since if you are not logged on as VIP (or if you are in the US), it does say just "coming soon".

ivantod fucked around with this message at 20:40 on May 2, 2017

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

The snowspeeder won't sell out considering the Slave 1 was still available for a long time. This isn't Nintendo.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Vintersorg posted:

The snowspeeder won't sell out considering the Slave 1 was still available for a long time. This isn't Nintendo.

I'm not sure that logic tracks, given the context...

I don't think anyone is worried about never getting it... they are worried about getting it immediately/soon.

Did the Slave 1 ever sell out and go backordered? Sure I can walk in and get it NOW but it's been out for ages... I think the issue is just that people want this on Thursday...

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Jesus Christ!

At the intersection of Lego nerd and Star Wars nerd, you get:

LegoDada
LegoDada
Active since: February 4, 2015

I hate to nitpick but......
Ok, this is an awesome set. I don't care about the naysayers and the 'we already have one'-sayers because we didn't all get the opportunity to get it last time (speaking of which, UCS Falcon next please!) so I love that this set is available and will display it proudly. My nitpick is the information panel, I'm pretty sure Lego got it wrong. Top speed 1,100kmph, max altitude 175m, a harpoon, a tow cable and.......... cargo capacity of 10Kg? 10Kg!?? So Luke wouldn't be able to pop the weekly groceries into his speeder on the way home? It makes no sense, it has to be a typo but if so it's a pretty big one. Lego, please explain.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It was backordered for a long time. Lego always makes plenty but you might just have to wait when it first comes out.

Honestly I hope the snowspeeder gets backordered it'll remove a small financial dilemma for me for a while lol.

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!
Did y'all see leaks for the Justice League sets? Three sets and there's three different Batvehicles spread over two sets with last set being a small one with a bunch of columns and pillars plus some dudes. Gross

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I haven't had any problems getting a UCS SW set showing up at the store on launch morning. Also got the Tumbler that way.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Feenix posted:

Jesus Christ!

At the intersection of Lego nerd and Star Wars nerd, you get:

LegoDada
LegoDada
Active since: February 4, 2015

I hate to nitpick but......
Ok, this is an awesome set. I don't care about the naysayers and the 'we already have one'-sayers because we didn't all get the opportunity to get it last time (speaking of which, UCS Falcon next please!) so I love that this set is available and will display it proudly. My nitpick is the information panel, I'm pretty sure Lego got it wrong. Top speed 1,100kmph, max altitude 175m, a harpoon, a tow cable and.......... cargo capacity of 10Kg? 10Kg!?? So Luke wouldn't be able to pop the weekly groceries into his speeder on the way home? It makes no sense, it has to be a typo but if so it's a pretty big one. Lego, please explain.

go tell him that it's a military aircraft, not a minivan, and fighter pilots are lucky if they can take a couple of energy bars in the pockets of their flight suit

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Other posted:

Did y'all see leaks for the Justice League sets? Three sets and there's three different Batvehicles spread over two sets with last set being a small one with a bunch of columns and pillars plus some dudes. Gross

Where are you seeing pictures? This is the only information I can find:

76085 Battle of Atlantis – $19.99/€24.99
Parademon, Atlantean Guard (x2), Aquaman

76086 Knightcrawler Tunnel Attack – $49.99/€49.99
Parademon (x2), Batman, The Flash

76087 Flying Fox: Batman Airlift Attack – $129.99/€119.99
Steppenwolf, Parademon (x2), Batman, Superman, Cyborg, Wonder Woman

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

The_Doctor posted:

Where are you seeing pictures? This is the only information I can find:

76085 Battle of Atlantis – $19.99/€24.99
Parademon, Atlantean Guard (x2), Aquaman

76086 Knightcrawler Tunnel Attack – $49.99/€49.99
Parademon (x2), Batman, The Flash

76087 Flying Fox: Batman Airlift Attack – $129.99/€119.99
Steppenwolf, Parademon (x2), Batman, Superman, Cyborg, Wonder Woman

They're all over the place now, but you can usually find image leaks on Hoth Bricks or the Eurobricks forum.

Lego is notorious for fudging movie scenes, but you never know. So possible Justice League spoilers in the pics.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Ooooh ok. The big set looks intriguing, certainly.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

go tell him that it's a military aircraft, not a minivan, and fighter pilots are lucky if they can take a couple of energy bars in the pockets of their flight suit

Hahaha like fighter pilots are willing to go anywhere without their golf clubs.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Those new Justice League sets look like garbage, and that isn't meaning to insult the Legos. Looks like WB has another big "winner" on its hands.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
So does the movie.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Waltzing Along posted:

So does the movie.

That's what I was implying

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Aside from the first two Nolan batman movies there hasn't been a good live action DC thing on either the big or small screen in 25 years.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Now they're in a DO EVERYTHING MARVEL DOES, BUT SHITTIER phase.

I get they wanna catch up with this cash cow but c'mon, out some pride into your work.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

xzzy posted:

Now they're in a DO EVERYTHING MARVEL DOES, BUT SHITTIER phase.

I get they wanna catch up with this cash cow but c'mon, out some pride into your work.

It's sort of admirable that even though each movie is trash, they just keep their heads down and get to work on the next one without doing yet another reboot.

Just kidding, those movies all (and will continue) to suck.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
I'm a big huge nerd that wants to love all the comic book things but when my wife and I took a break from watching Arrow, Gotham and Supergirl I realized that even as a guilty pleasure I wasn't missing any of these shows at all.

And even my wife really hated Batman vs Superman and she's usually incredibly forgiving when it comes to dumb action movies.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
I know I'm in the minority but i didn't think BvS was all that bad and I liked buff Affleck as an older Batman.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Same but I also didn't think Suicide Squad was that bad and apparently that means I am Bad and Wrong

The Thor Ragnarok sets seem to be those annoying good minifigures but kind of lackluster models sorts. Although I quite like that wolf and ship. Might get that one and bricklink the figures off the other one.

I really need to kill off my lego backlog though. It's just sometimes you don't know which sets are just going to vanish so you grab everything that looks good and then never get round to building it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I just buy sets based on the colors they provide now.

I need like ten copies of the VW bug.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Since I don't have the balls to take apart sets I really like, especially big ones, I've been buying sets I don't really like based on minifigures and parts for a while so I don't feel conflicted about parting them out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

veni veni veni posted:

Since I don't have the balls to take apart sets I really like, especially big ones, I've been buying sets I don't really like based on minifigures and parts for a while so I don't feel conflicted about parting them out.

I buy lovely Star Wars sets for parts for MOCs I will maybe do in the future. I feel you.