Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Mantis42 posted:

Why? The best seasons of the original run happened after they left :smug:

"This" but Bizzaro this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

I don't want your war

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I guess there was an overlap with Mike and Trace + Frank, but Season 8 is still my favorite.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
Ok, if we can't have Mike show up for new MST3k...could we get Jonah on Rifftrax?

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

everyone on everything would be fine with me. Cameos for all!
But I want the old mads back on mst3k not replacing but supplementing. poo poo I want loving spinoffs!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

HannibalBarca posted:

thinking face emoji

I wouldn't read into it too much, he retweets lots of stuff he's tagged in.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

I laughed pretty hard at Carnival Magic's "Rainn Wilson as Mark David Chapman" riff.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Egbert Souse posted:

They really should do Stanley Kubrick's first feature Fear and Desire. It's like a Coleman Francis movie with somewhat nice photography. I think it would be hilarious for them to set it up as them sending a Kubrick film, only for it to be that one. It's public domain, so they shouldn't have a tough time getting it.

Also, Roar would make for a great episode.

I feel like that happened before. Where Forrester was going to send up a movie by some director and everyone was kind of excited and then it was the worst thing he ever did. Am I just going crazy?

mangler103
Jun 6, 2003

Metroid sighting huh? Well, I did just pour this coffee...it will still be there tomorrow.

The Ape of Naples posted:

I feel like that happened before. Where Forrester was going to send up a movie by some director and everyone was kind of excited and then it was the worst thing he ever did. Am I just going crazy?

I don't remember it off hand. I do remember Mike got "Hamlet" by winning a bet against Pearl. But she sent him the worst possible version.

EDIT: There was also that space movie with Gregory Peck and Gene Hackman that had been edited for TV.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

mangler103 posted:

I don't remember it off hand. I do remember Mike got "Hamlet" by winning a bet against Pearl. But she sent him the worst possible version.

EDIT: There was also that space movie with Gregory Peck and Gene Hackman that had been edited for TV.

Maybe it was Hamlet. That sounds familiar.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

mangler103 posted:

Academy Award winning space movie with Gregory Peck and Gene Hackman.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

HannibalBarca posted:

thinking face emoji

Maybe Joel keeps asking but keeps spelling his last name wrong on the envelopes. :(

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I am trying to like the new season and while the movie bits are decent so far, the skits are so painfully bad. Like, where people really clamouring for musical numbers? They are so awful.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Evil Mastermind posted:

The Italian rip-offs like Starcrash, Pumaman, or Devil Fish are mind-boggling because they're always so nonsensical and there's never any indication as to why.
It's an Italian tradition that the way something looks or feels takes precedence over making sense on film. Couple that with the fact that the rip-off films were made quickly and on the cheap and you get films that don't necessarily make a whole lot of sense, especially to people who aren't used to the Italian style.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Mantis42 posted:

I guess there was an overlap with Mike and Trace + Frank, but Season 8 is still my favorite.

Honestly I feel like Seasons 6-8 were the peak of the show in terms of riffing quality.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

bongwizzard posted:

I am trying to like the new season and while the movie bits are decent so far, the skits are so painfully bad. Like, where people really clamouring for musical numbers? They are so awful.

awkward musical numbers have long been a part of the mst3k style

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

boner confessor posted:

awkward musical numbers have long been a part of the mst3k style

Sure, but like once every season at most, I swear there were like four of them in the new season. They are so lovely. Like, Bob's Burgers does musical number well I think, but the mst3k ones are so forced and awful.

Antiquated Pants
Feb 23, 2011

Oh god I'm so lonely in here...
:negative:

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Ok, if we can't have Mike show up for new MST3k...could we get Jonah on Rifftrax?

There was a Riffrax Live event promoting the new MST3K a while back with EVERYONE on it. Including Joel, Jonah, Frank, Trace, Bridget, Mary Jo and so on.

http://www.rifftrax.com/rifftrax-live-mst3k-reunion

They rotated through riffers doing a bunch of shorts.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

bongwizzard posted:

Sure, but like once every season at most, I swear there were like four of them in the new season. They are so lovely. Like, Bob's Burgers does musical number well I think, but the mst3k ones are so forced and awful.

There are kind of a ton of them in most seasons:

http://mst3k.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Songs

I like the Reptilicus song, the Great Space Circus Show, and the Mesozoic Ranch jingle, and the other ones aren't my favorite, but they're pretty on par for the awkward music MST3K has always had.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Antiquated Pants posted:

There was a Riffrax Live event promoting the new MST3K a while back with EVERYONE on it. Including Joel, Jonah, Frank, Trace, Bridget, Mary Jo and so on.

http://www.rifftrax.com/rifftrax-live-mst3k-reunion

They rotated through riffers doing a bunch of shorts.

Oh I know. I mean like a Rifftrax of just Joel, Mike, and Jonah would be amazing.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Oh I know. I mean like a Rifftrax of just Joel, Mike, and Jonah would be amazing.

I'm honestly surprised we never got a Mike and Joel riff.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
The music is awkward and good. And as I said in my previous posts, the UFO song in Starcrash was well utilized bc otherwise we'd be stuck with a whole minute of dead air as the actress does a boring slow walk into a UFO.

An never forget, Toobular Boobular.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

bongwizzard posted:

Did we listen to the same kaiju rap?

Antiquated Pants
Feb 23, 2011

Oh god I'm so lonely in here...
:negative:

Compendium posted:

What a joy.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Compendium posted:

I was real fuckin annoyed when they had Starbomb/Ninja Sex Party on their fuckin livestream thing during the kickstarter, performing music, and didn't have them do that song, what the gently caress.

Also that they were basically going all "oh yeah we do this thing on youtube that's basically mst3k but videogames" and I just wanted to yell something about slowbeef at the screen but that's just petty goon rage.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Compendium posted:

we'd be stuck with a whole minute of dead air as the actress does a boring slow walk into a UFO.

I dunno about you, but I'd watch a whole minute of Caroline Munro strutting. :quagmire:

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

howe_sam posted:

Academy Award winning space movie with Gregory Peck and Gene Hackman.

Directed by John Sturges, director of The Magnificent Seven, The Great Escape, Bad Day at Black Rock, and Gunfight at the OK Corral.

Though, I'd imagine the original film Marooned is substantially better than whatever Film Ventures International did to it. Alfonso Cuaron is apparently a big fan of it.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

There was also a mixup during one of the bumpers for a Friday night premiere. They thought the "Outlaw" that they were riffing was the 1943 movie and not the 1988 movie "starring" Jack Palance.

So the commercials were all these two idiots with some radio show talking about Jane Russell.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.

Egbert Souse posted:

Directed by John Sturges, director of The Magnificent Seven, The Great Escape, Bad Day at Black Rock, and Gunfight at the OK Corral.

Though, I'd imagine the original film Marooned is substantially better than whatever Film Ventures International did to it. Alfonso Cuaron is apparently a big fan of it.

I doubt FVI added footage of the astronauts dying, since that's a large part of the movie being such a slog.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Bicyclops posted:

There are kind of a ton of them in most seasons:

http://mst3k.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Songs

I like the Reptilicus song, the Great Space Circus Show, and the Mesozoic Ranch jingle, and the other ones aren't my favorite, but they're pretty on par for the awkward music MST3K has always had.

Well, I guess as a kid I would get up and go to the bathroom during the musical numbers or something is I have no recollection of most of those. Still can't stand the new ones and the new skits in general. It's like having to go sit through a terrible sketch comedy troupe doing a show in a bar because they're your friends and it would be awkward to say no but every moment you're just hating it and wishing it would be over.

mangler103
Jun 6, 2003

Metroid sighting huh? Well, I did just pour this coffee...it will still be there tomorrow.
A little off-topic, but whoever recommended Plex to me last week: Holy poo poo thank you!

I spent the week downloading my Rifftrax collection and ripping all my MST3K DVDs and everything is so much easier to watch now as I'm rewatching the series from the beginning. I can't believe I had never heard of this before. Thanks!

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

mangler103 posted:

A little off-topic, but whoever recommended Plex to me last week: Holy poo poo thank you!

I spent the week downloading my Rifftrax collection and ripping all my MST3K DVDs and everything is so much easier to watch now as I'm rewatching the series from the beginning. I can't believe I had never heard of this before. Thanks!

You're welcome!

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

bongwizzard posted:

Well, I guess as a kid I would get up and go to the bathroom during the musical numbers or something is I have no recollection of most of those. Still can't stand the new ones and the new skits in general. It's like having to go sit through a terrible sketch comedy troupe doing a show in a bar because they're your friends and it would be awkward to say no but every moment you're just hating it and wishing it would be over.

Yep, that's a pretty accurate description of the host segments over the years.

mangler103
Jun 6, 2003

duz posted:

Yep, that's a pretty accurate description of the host segments over the years.

The host segments were never the main draw, and a lot of them haven't aged well, but there's some real gems in there. I'd say the hit/miss ratio in the new season leans much more heavily to the hit. Being fresh and from a more modern comedy perspective helps a lot. And the musical numbers are in general pretty solid from my perspective.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I liked all the laser cut out wood things. I thought it gave Jonah a lot of character, that he so consistently kept making the things.

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

mangler103 posted:

The host segments were never the main draw, and a lot of them haven't aged well, but there's some real gems in there. I'd say the hit/miss ratio in the new season leans much more heavily to the hit. Being fresh and from a more modern comedy perspective helps a lot. And the musical numbers are in general pretty solid from my perspective.

The host segments are also short now. Sometimes that makes them feel a little jarring and unfinished, but on the whole it has meant (for me at least) that they're less likely to outstay their welcome.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The weirdest loving host segment​ I've ever seen is the mailbag where they get a letter from eBaum who said he's going to​ grow up to be a lawyer and have his own website.

mangler103
Jun 6, 2003

parallelodad posted:

I liked all the laser cut out wood things. I thought it gave Jonah a lot of character, that he so consistently kept making the things.

Him being a maker and using all the goofy lingo like 'fab lab' tickled me, being around a lot of people who are into that.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

parallelodad posted:

The weirdest loving host segment​ I've ever seen is the mailbag where they get a letter from eBaum who said he's going to​ grow up to be a lawyer and have his own website.

They should have crushed his dreams

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It's me, I'm the one who sometimes rewatches episode based on how good the host segments are.