Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Xibanya posted:

It's that one. :smuggo:

Leperflesh lol that you don't remember; I specifically got your permission to use that one.

I've actually given people permission to re-use posts of mine for various projects quite a few times (:smuggo:) so my apologies that I don't remember this specific instance. :shrug:

do you have a link to it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

Annual Everest Thread 2018: The proper term is a "Nuptse-daisy"

Yes.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Leperflesh posted:

Spectator sports. And yes, I'm pretty anti-boxing too. At least at the time Ali got started, the full extent of the risk wasn't as well known or studied, but yeah. A brilliant and admirable sportsman, but our rabid desire to watch and enjoy combat sports leads to too many boxers and other martial artists destroying their brains for art. I don't think that's completely OK. At the very least I hope you can agree there's room for a serious debate on the subject.

Well you say you aren't in favor of outlawing all of it, so sure I respect your opinion and think its totally reasonable, if wrong

late edit :twisted:

Epitope fucked around with this message at 22:21 on May 1, 2017

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Epitope posted:

Well you say you aren't in favor of outlawing all of it, so sure I respect your opinion and think its totally reasonable

Yeah I don't like using laws just to discourage behavior we don't approve of. We can do that using social pressure while still leaving people's right (to be a dumbass) intact.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Epitope posted:

Well you say you aren't in favor of outlawing all of it, so sure I respect your opinion and think its totally reasonable

Although it wasn't understood at the time it started, the evidence is that GBS causes brain damage. Personally, I am in favour of banning GBS and replacing it with a more humane form of posting and of providing proper professional care to posters who have suffered permanent degenerative injuries due to GBS.

I know that people say "people who take up GBS now understand the risks" but it is we, fellow posters, who have to care for these posters when they become invalids, drooling, white-noise posting and babbling memes. Do posters have the right to not only ruin their lives but the lives of those around them? I know the jury is out but frankly it would not surprise me to see (in 20 years time) solid scientific research proving that passive-GBS does cause serious harm to non-GBS posters.

Won't someone think of the children?

:(

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Leperflesh posted:

My wife is an artist, I definitely support the arts. There's definitely a blurry grey area between performance art and professional sports, but I think it goes further into the weeds when you're talking about alpinists. Steck at least wrote books and presented, but most people engaging in the sport of high alpine climbing are not.

If you define it broadly enough, a person's art practice could extend to literally any undertaking, if they do so with artistic intent. And I support people doing that on their own, but... I don't think individuals engaging in personal (not shared) artistic practice need or deserve "public support" beyond general encouragement.

But this I think is a separate question. Should we encourage people to take insane risks with their lives, for art? I don't think we should. I think risks should be proportionate to rewards, and while many high-altitude alpinists report that their activity is extremely rewarding, the world is rich with extremely rewarding activities almost all of which are less crazy dangerous.

I believe people should have the freedom to throw their lives into whatever they do provided they're not hurting others. But I also think that we should advise people apparently suicidally reckless with their lives to pursue healthier activities, irrespective of whether their activities have artistic merit. I would oppose legislation barring high-altitude alpine climbing, I think people need to be free to ignore good advice and do what they want (again as long as they're not hurting anyone but themselves) but that doesn't equate to open approval and especially to heaping laudatory accolades on them.

Steck was undoubtedly a very cool guy and I wish he was still alive. He had so much drive and talent that I believe he surely could have found equally thrilling outputs for them that did not involve such a crazy high risk of death, and I wish the people around him had tried to convince him of that.

this is pretty paternalistic though

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Climbers who do what Steck did don't necessarily have a death wish, but take a look at any list of great mountaineers and it seems that more often than not their place of death is "Mt. <Someplace>". Whether it's acceptable to take that kind of a risk really depends on the kind of life they live off the mountain.

The only time that I have a problem with a climber doing something like Steck does is when they have kids. It's one thing with a partner/spouse, who is an adult who goes into the relationship with their eyes open about the possibility of them not returning one day, but once they have kids, there's a responsibility there to make sure that you're there to raise them. That may be a bit old-fashioned of me, but I don't think that I'm out of line.

It's really why I have more of a problem with these weekend warriors who pay big bucks to get hauled up a mountain, issues of trash and whatnot aside. They're putting their families through something that they shouldn't, just so that they can have something cool to talk about at the office.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Yeah the saddest story about Everest I can think of is the kid of someone who died climbing. Apparently the person who died, his mom iirc, asked him if he would be OK with her going and he said yes. And he was like 11.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Azathoth posted:

Climbers who do what Steck did don't necessarily have a death wish, but take a look at any list of great mountaineers and it seems that more often than not their place of death is "Mt. <Someplace>". Whether it's acceptable to take that kind of a risk really depends on the kind of life they live off the mountain.

The only time that I have a problem with a climber doing something like Steck does is when they have kids. It's one thing with a partner/spouse, who is an adult who goes into the relationship with their eyes open about the possibility of them not returning one day, but once they have kids, there's a responsibility there to make sure that you're there to raise them. That may be a bit old-fashioned of me, but I don't think that I'm out of line.

It's really why I have more of a problem with these weekend warriors who pay big bucks to get hauled up a mountain, issues of trash and whatnot aside. They're putting their families through something that they shouldn't, just so that they can have something cool to talk about at the office.

It's an addiction - no hyperbole, a literal addiction. They are addicted to the adrenaline of doing something so dangerous, and they have to one-up themselves each time or they don't get the high. And of course Everest is the "ultimate" for them. Watch that one video of the guy who wanted to wingsuit off of Everest - the dude is just listing off all his friends who have died wingsuiting, worrying about his wife and kids... And then decides to go do it anyway, because he's compelled to. His brain won't let him go.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

My wife is an artist, I definitely support the arts. There's definitely a blurry grey area between performance art and professional sports, but I think it goes further into the weeds when you're talking about alpinists. Steck at least wrote books and presented, but most people engaging in the sport of high alpine climbing are not.

If you define it broadly enough, a person's art practice could extend to literally any undertaking, if they do so with artistic intent. And I support people doing that on their own, but... I don't think individuals engaging in personal (not shared) artistic practice need or deserve "public support" beyond general encouragement.

But this I think is a separate question. Should we encourage people to take insane risks with their lives, for art? I don't think we should. I think risks should be proportionate to rewards, and while many high-altitude alpinists report that their activity is extremely rewarding, the world is rich with extremely rewarding activities almost all of which are less crazy dangerous.

I believe people should have the freedom to throw their lives into whatever they do provided they're not hurting others. But I also think that we should advise people apparently suicidally reckless with their lives to pursue healthier activities, irrespective of whether their activities have artistic merit. I would oppose legislation barring high-altitude alpine climbing, I think people need to be free to ignore good advice and do what they want (again as long as they're not hurting anyone but themselves) but that doesn't equate to open approval and especially to heaping laudatory accolades on them.

Steck was undoubtedly a very cool guy and I wish he was still alive. He had so much drive and talent that I believe he surely could have found equally thrilling outputs for them that did not involve such a crazy high risk of death, and I wish the people around him had tried to convince him of that.

wow what a stunningly bad post

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Azathoth posted:

oh, no, looks like you were outdone leperflesh

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Xibanya posted:

Yeah the saddest story about Everest I can think of is the kid of someone who died climbing. Apparently the person who died, his mom iirc, asked him if he would be OK with her going and he said yes. And he was like 11.

Yeah. Kid was essentially guilt-tripped by his mom into it. :(

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

human lives are so objectively precious that we should pearl clutchingly discourage people from doing dangerous things based on our own selfish and shortsighted ethical measurements of their actions

-people itt unironically

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Rotten Red Rod posted:

It's an addiction - no hyperbole, a literal addiction. They are addicted to the adrenaline of doing something so dangerous, and they have to one-up themselves each time or they don't get the high. And of course Everest is the "ultimate" for them. Watch that one video of the guy who wanted to wingsuit off of Everest - the dude is just listing off all his friends who have died wingsuiting, worrying about his wife and kids... And then decides to go do it anyway, because he's compelled to. His brain won't let him go.

That guy claimed that after doing the wingsuit jump off everest, he would stop because of his kid. That sounds like he's never going to stop. If he really cared about his kid, he wouldn't do it ever again. "Just one more" is something an addict says.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

Can we make use of the phrase "pearl clutching" a probatable offense?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Cojawfee posted:

That guy claimed that after doing the wingsuit jump off everest, he would stop because of his kid. That sounds like he's never going to stop. If he really cared about his kid, he wouldn't do it ever again. "Just one more" is something an addict says.

Yeah when he said that I wanted to scream "IF YOU WANT TO STOP BECAUSE OF YOUR KID JUST STOP NOW". He won't.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
clutch dese pearls thread *points to my sac*

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

Cross-quoting this from the GBS thread because it looks awesome. Anyone ever play it?

Vakal posted:

That reminds me of a board game I used to play a poo poo load of back in grade school called Mountaineering.

Basically you built a deck of cards representing climbing and survival gear and then made your way up the mountain hoping you had the right cards to overcome whatever lovely situation you were enviably going to land on.

I don't think we ever finished a game without someone dying, so I learned my lesson early about keeping my rear end off the mountain side.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Since Everest season 2017 has begun and there will be plenty to actually discuss in this thread, any poo poo-posting from now on is going to be met with an official :siren:Greenboots Sixer:siren:

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Picnic Princess rules with an iron fist

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Well if we're death pooling again, put me down for five; conservative, but I'm sure the mountain will make them count.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
i had 5 before but after steck i'mma say 7

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

I don't wanna pick on you in particular because this is the language used for this sort of thing across a lot of different sports. But... let's try to keep in mind that what Steck was doing was personal recreation. High-altitude alpinists occasionally work with scientific missions to study things like HACE/HAPE etc. but that's not what Steck was up to and it's not what most climbers are up to. Setting records, finding new routes, exploring their physical limits, having a thrill, all of this is part of basically a sport. And not even really a spectator sport, although Steck certainly was famous enough to have provided entertainment to others.

So to me, it's sort of like... I'm really impressed by some dudes who play other sports to an impressively high degree of capability, and that career can be super rewarding if you can manage it. But there's huge flak being aimed at American Football right now because everyone can see that it's causing brain damage for players who take too many hits/concussions. There should be even more criticism aimed at high-altitude alpine extreme sports ropeless sports crap because at least American Football players don't routinely die on the field.

So yeah, Steck's death is a tragedy. But let's not kid ourselves, he was routinely toying with his own life doing one of the most ridiculously lethal sports mankind has ever invented, and his risk-taking finally caught up to him.

I have some bad news for you

everyone dies

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

If we're pooling, I'm guessing that six people will be sacrificed to Chomolungma this year.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

Comrade Koba posted:

If we're pooling, I'm guessing that six people will be sacrificed to Chomolungma this year.

We're not. Let's not derail.

Also, if Steck hadn't kicked it this year, you just know he'd be back next year to do all three peaks solo with no supplemental oxygen and no clothes

or something

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Maybe no one else will die this year because Steck counts for like 10 people alone.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Just for the heck of it, I went and looked up the Everest area on google earth. Jesus. It may be one of the most gorgeous sites on the face of the planet, but gently caress my knee if I would even consider that climb. I live in mountainous avalanche country and I am extremely aware of the risks associated with mountains, heck I even hunt on top of mountains, but holy hell. How does Everest not kill more people each year, especially with the traffic? We lose people (mostly dumb tourists) to avalanches every year.

Also, RIP Euli Steck. The one guy who really didn't deserve to buy it on that trip, but that mountain really doesn't give a poo poo.

ManifunkDestiny posted:

The proper term is a "Nuptse-daisy"

:vince:

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

Cross-quoting this from the GBS thread because it looks awesome. Anyone ever play it?

I haven't played that one specifically, there is a more modern board game called K2 which is very similar in concept and is pretty rad

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

Nice piece of fish posted:

How does Everest not kill more people each year, especially with the traffic? We lose people (mostly dumb tourists) to avalanches every year.

Location. If it was mainland USA you can bet there'd be +100 deaths. The cost, travel and permits restrict all but the richest. Actually, if it was in a US national park surely there'd be a restriction on climbing? Does anyone need a permit for Denali? I guess the difference is that Everest has a bottleneck for the main SE route so crowds actually cause deaths whereas on Denali I don't think that's the case.

Probably wrong on that.

Deathpool: I'm in for 12.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

I don't know the exact process for Denali but some light googling suggests that to climb Denali you need to send your registration in two months in advance in order to allow the park rangers time to contact you and go over your plans before approving your permit, and if you want to climb solo there's a whole bunch more forms you have to fill out specifying your exact equipment and intended route.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

There's a trail in Canada (Berg Lake) where if you want to overnight, you have to watch an instructional video on how to backpack properly. Like, staying hydrated and poo poo. I figure the reason for this is that so many beginners start out on it that they had way too many gently caress-ups and got sick of coming to their rescue. Sad part is it's an incredibly easy trail. It's almost completely flat following a river and there's campgrounds every 5km.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Picnic Princess posted:

There's a trail in Canada (Berg Lake) where if you want to overnight, you have to watch an instructional video on how to backpack properly. Like, staying hydrated and poo poo. I figure the reason for this is that so many beginners start out on it that they had way too many gently caress-ups and got sick of coming to their rescue. Sad part is it's an incredibly easy trail. It's almost completely flat following a river and there's campgrounds every 5km.

It's kind of funny they dont' do something like this for people wanting to climb Mt Whitney. It's actually a tough hike (though no actual climbing involved) and up to an altitude that can really cause some problems with people, but I think they just give you a standard talk before handing over the permit.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

Yes, I can imagine if Everest was in the US/Canada then there would have to be some sort of permit/application process to stop the most unprepared fools from putting too much pressure on rescue services.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Weren't there some guys from NZ who died in Canada (or Canadians who died in NZ) who had an enormously stupid itinerary and got told to not do it multiple times but they did it anyway and died? That story always bears reposting.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Arivia posted:

Rest in peace Ueli. At least you died doing what you loved. :unsmith:

He loved dying??

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

human lives are so objectively precious that we should pearl clutchingly discourage people from doing dangerous things based on our own selfish and shortsighted ethical measurements of their actions

-people itt unironically

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

wow what a stunningly bad post

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

Xibanya posted:

Weren't there some guys from NZ who died in Canada (or Canadians who died in NZ) who had an enormously stupid itinerary and got told to not do it multiple times but they did it anyway and died? That story always bears reposting.

Maybe the french canadian duo who were insistent on walking the routeburn track in winter, despite the advice of the local ranger, the local DOC office people, and the local alpine gear store (where they didn't actually buy any gear because they thought they wouldn't need it and didn't know how to use it anyway)?

They got swept away by a small avalanche, since there's like 20 avalanche paths on the routeburn, and no one knew until they didn't show up back in canada because they intentionally didn't tell anyone where theyt were going.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

That's awful about Steck. Bummer :(

And 3200-whatever feet is a long time to be thinking about what's about to happen while you're falling.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

And 3200-whatever feet is a long time to be thinking about what's about to happen while you're falling.
14.29s :eyepop: 300 mph at impact. :stonkhat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
According to google, terminal velocity for a human is 122mph.