Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

When you're talking about high doses, fractionating the dose definitely does reduce the damage due to the fact that DNA damage does have some capacity to repair. But that's not because of some hardening effect, it's because damage that could have gotten worse with further exposure has a chance to fix itself before the killing blow arrives.

When you're talking about low doses, who knows, but I'd expect that the same things are happening just on a much harder to detect scale rather than some hardening effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Platystemon posted:

It gets statistically messy.

Low‐level exposure might be mildly hurtful, mildly beneficial, or have no effect. We really don’t know.

The conservative approach is to assume that it’s mildly hurtful and act accordingly, so that’s what we do.

Not to mention different types of radiation, internal or external exposure, different isotopes affecting different organs...yeah, that's messy.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
So what I'm hearing is dose yourself with small bits of rads over time to build up an immunity, like poison or bullets :v:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Light Gun Man posted:

So what I'm hearing is dose yourself with small bits of rads over time to build up an immunity, like poison or bullets :v:

the tumors will absorb all the radiation before it gets to your more important organs

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Luneshot posted:

Honestly if I ever received a dose of radiation that would kill me within a couple days I'd just find a gun and skip the "excruciating death" part.

You might not get much of a choice, but they might do something nice like put you in a medically induced coma do you're not present as your body rots away.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Wasabi the J posted:

You might not get much of a choice, but they might do something nice like put you in a medically induced coma do you're not present as your body rots away.

Unless your consciousness is necessary to their experiments.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

BattleMaster posted:

But that's not because of some hardening effect

Idunno if you can say this conclusively

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
In fact I'm fairly sure that's wrong, non-fatal doses of ionizing radiation seem to upregulate heat shock protein generation at the very least.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Moist von Lipwig posted:

In fact I'm fairly sure that's wrong, non-fatal doses of ionizing radiation seem to upregulate heat shock protein generation at the very least.

Well, yeah. Radiation does all kinds of weird things to physical matter. It turns hydraulic fluid into goo, and hardens wood.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Hardens wood you say?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Moist von Lipwig posted:

So what? Radiation "kills" a cell by tearing DNA strands so it can't reproduce properly. What will those proteins do about that?

edit: the reason fractionated doses produce better survival rates than a single dose of the same total magnitude is that higher doses have a higher chance of causing a double strand break in DNA which has a chance of being repaired, but lower doses with time in between have a higher chance of causing single strand breaks that can be repaired between doses

BattleMaster has a new favorite as of 00:11 on May 2, 2017

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
Heat shock proteins mop up unfolded or damaged proteins and repair broken sections of DNA in response to oxidative stress. If you get really slammed by radiation there's nothing that can be done but iirc there's a few cases of radiation resistant tumors that needed to be blasted harder because they had robust HSPs.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I don't think it's a particularly controversial statement that higher doses are more likely to screw up DNA beyond repair than lower doses, even with the presence of that protein.

edit: I mean the stuff I've been posting lately isn't my opnion but it's what I've studied as a health physicist

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

BattleMaster posted:

I don't think it's a particularly controversial statement that higher doses are more likely to screw up DNA beyond repair than lower doses, even with the presence of that protein.

Nah, man, it’s like weed:

Even if it causes cancer, its anti‐cancer properties more than compensate for that.

:2bong:

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011

zedprime posted:

<50msv is well established as in the indistinguishable from noise part of LNT by airline pilots, >300 is established as linear as all hell by the studies on Japanese nuclear bomb survivors and the space in between doesn't really matter because it's just a range noone is exposed to often enough to characterize.

Where do the different levels of space travel exposure fall on this scale? I know the Van Allen Belts are dangerous but what about past them or LEO?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Communist Zombie posted:

Where do the different levels of space travel exposure fall on this scale? I know the Van Allen Belts are dangerous but what about past them or LEO?

That'd depend on where you are how long you're there. Other planets have Van Allen belts as well. Solar flares are locally very bad news. A few hours on the surface of Io is a 100% lethal dose.

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

Notably, that last one's because Io is right smack-dab in the middle of Jupiter's Van Allen belt, or at least a high-energy radiation belt.

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

A long time ago I read James Michener's Space. It was a long book. The only part I found really memorable involved the effect that a decent sized solar flare would have on the crew of a lunar lander. It gave the impression that without a magnetosphere, you need to be able to put several feet of soil or several inches of metal between yourself and the sun if you want to survive a solar storm. afaik that's factored into spacecraft & station designs now, but was russian roulette in the Apollo days.

Speaking of unforgettable reading, thx to whomever posted the link to stories of drag racers boosting their fuel with hydrazine.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah, without a magnetosphere to deflect and trap the charged particles, you'll get a dose of radiation from a solar flare, mostly x-rays and energetic protons. I don't think any human astronauts have been hit so far, but it's one of the big challenges of building bases on the Moon or on Mars.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

If you're on a planet then at least you can go underground.
A big issue is what to do if a solar flare hits while you're in transit between planets. One suggestion is that while it's impractical to put that level of shielding on the entire vehicle, you can shield one small room. In the event of a solar flare everyone crams themselves into the storm shelter for several very uncomfortable hours.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Does the sort of particles in solar flares have adverse effects on electronics and the other equipment? I know chips have to have extra error checking and redundancy from the increased background radiation flipping bits occasionally.

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

A CME is all plasma, so the ship's going to be getting hit by a lot of charged particles. It'd be an incredibly powerful EMP that would most likely kill all electronics in the ship. The Carrington Event in 1859 was when a CME that hit Earth directly; in addition to the tropics getting to see auroras, above-ground telegraph wires were set on fire by it. Some operators got shocked as their lines discharged through them, and others were able to turn off their power supplies and send messages using the solar flare's charge.

That's what got through our magnetosphere and our atmosphere, so I would be very surprised if it was even possible for a ship in interplanetary space to survive. The shell would, probably, but anything that requires electricity wouldn't, such as the life support. You may as well not include a storm-shelter room, since the heat / lack of oxygen would kill the astronauts far before the cancer or their bone marrow liquefying.

Obviously getting hit by a Carrington Event CME is worst-case, but even a "small" one would really gently caress up the ship's systems.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

That's assuming it was hit directly by the CME, even as big as Coronal Mass Ejections are, it's rare that they actually collide with things. The increased activity from a solar flare though is spread over a much wider area and is something you'd have to prepare for and plan around.

Getting directly hit by an energetic stream of plasma from a CME in a spacecraft isn't something you can prepare for, except by making out your will.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Hremsfeld posted:

A CME is all plasma, so the ship's going to be getting hit by a lot of charged particles. It'd be an incredibly powerful EMP that would most likely kill all electronics in the ship. The Carrington Event in 1859 was when a CME that hit Earth directly; in addition to the tropics getting to see auroras, above-ground telegraph wires were set on fire by it. Some operators got shocked as their lines discharged through them, and others were able to turn off their power supplies and send messages using the solar flare's charge.

That's what got through our magnetosphere and our atmosphere, so I would be very surprised if it was even possible for a ship in interplanetary space to survive. The shell would, probably, but anything that requires electricity wouldn't, such as the life support. You may as well not include a storm-shelter room, since the heat / lack of oxygen would kill the astronauts far before the cancer or their bone marrow liquefying.

Obviously getting hit by a Carrington Event CME is worst-case, but even a "small" one would really gently caress up the ship's systems.

But that's a geomagnetic phenomenon: the plasma interacts with Earth's magnetic field and as that field moves around in response to the plasma it drives geomagnetically induced currents. If Earth had no magnetic field, the things observed during the Carrington Event wouldn't have happened. Solar plasma itself is a neutral plasma, it's not going to generate an EMP all on its own out in space somewhere.

Solar flares and CMEs can absolutely wreck spacecraft electronics, but they do it by just being a bunch of high-energy protons and electrons that wind up where they shouldn't be. It's not a matter of EMP. The answer to that is hardening of the components to withstand radiation, and redundancy. We build spacecraft that have withstood intense radiation for considerable periods of time, and while there are occasional current leaks and latch-ups and transitions to safe mode, it's something that's generally survivable. Galileo took a "whole body" dose of well in excess of 6,000 grays, including a hit from a massive (X5+) solar flare in 2000, and while it experienced degradation (including its camera completely whiting out, despite being protected by a centimeter of tantalum), that spacecraft survived far longer than its design lifetime.

For stopping protons, you want something with a lot of protons in it per unit mass. Polystyrene is good. Hydrocarbon fuels are good. One thing that any interplanetary traveler would need a lot of is water, which is also good. And since you have to carry all that water mass along with you anyway, it'd be a good idea to design your ship so that your water tanks are also your radiation shielding, at least for a storm shelter.

Phanatic has a new favorite as of 14:59 on May 2, 2017

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

It's a bit more complicated. You need something dense to stop the protons, then you need something to moderate the high energy neutrons that are knocked out, and then you need something to absorb the neutrons.

Water is a great moderator but then you'd want something with boron or cadmium or gadolinium to actually stop the neutrons. And then you might want something to stop the capture gammas that will be released if the flux is going to be high enough.

Radiation shielding can be kind of annoying to design because of interactions like that

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

BattleMaster posted:

It's a bit more complicated. You need something dense to stop the protons, then you need something to moderate the high energy neutrons that are knocked out, and then you need something to absorb the neutrons.

Would you get any appreciable neutrons from solar wind impacts? The particle energies aren't all that high.

And note that you don't really want something *dense*. You want dense high-Z materials for stopping photons, because they're stopped by electron interactions so you want as many electrons per volume as you can manage. But a proton (or neutron) that smacks into a heavy nucleus is going to be like a tennis ball hitting a brick wall, it's just going to bounce off in a new direction and retain most of its original energy. You want the proton to smack into something that's roughly as massive as it, so it will transfer a bunch of energy to that thing and slow down. That's why you stuff with as much hydrogen in it per mass is what you want.

quote:

Water is a great moderator but then you'd want something with boron or cadmium or gadolinium to actually stop the neutrons.

It pretty much does that. I mean, it doesn't bring them to a total stop but neither would anything else. It thermalizes them down from however many MeV they had when they were ejected from their parent nucleus and brings them down to a fraction of an eV, that's pretty much as stopped as they're going to get. A .025 eV neutron isn't a radiation hazard to anything, except for the recapture gamma.

quote:

And then you might want something to stop the capture gammas that will be released if the flux is going to be high enough.

Well, there is that. The hydrogen will absorb the thermal neutron and turn into deuterium and emit a 2 MeV gamma as it does so. But the neutron flux isn't going to be high to begin with I don't expect.

quote:

Radiation shielding can be kind of annoying to design because of interactions like that

And with high-energy cosmic rays you can be better off *not* stopping them, because they can have enough k.e. in the first place to create a huge shower of secondaries if they smack into something.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I thought the current philosophy was water + boron shielding for a storm shelter. Relatively inexpensive and boron is pretty lightweight too.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Phanatic posted:

Would you get any appreciable neutrons from solar wind impacts? The particle energies aren't all that high.

And note that you don't really want something *dense*. You want dense high-Z materials for stopping photons, because they're stopped by electron interactions so you want as many electrons per volume as you can manage. But a proton (or neutron) that smacks into a heavy nucleus is going to be like a tennis ball hitting a brick wall, it's just going to bounce off in a new direction and retain most of its original energy. You want the proton to smack into something that's roughly as massive as it, so it will transfer a bunch of energy to that thing and slow down. That's why you stuff with as much hydrogen in it per mass is what you want.

It pretty much does that. I mean, it doesn't bring them to a total stop but neither would anything else. It thermalizes them down from however many MeV they had when they were ejected from their parent nucleus and brings them down to a fraction of an eV, that's pretty much as stopped as they're going to get. A .025 eV neutron isn't a radiation hazard to anything, except for the recapture gamma.

Well, there is that. The hydrogen will absorb the thermal neutron and turn into deuterium and emit a 2 MeV gamma as it does so. But the neutron flux isn't going to be high to begin with I don't expect.

And with high-energy cosmic rays you can be better off *not* stopping them, because they can have enough k.e. in the first place to create a huge shower of secondaries if they smack into something.

Protons and neutrons don't work the same way as far as shielding. Heavy charged particles like protons stop almost entirely due to coulomb force while neutrons interact only with the nuclei via strong nuclear force. The only thing that matters for heavy charged particles is density of electrons (which correlates with both Z and mass density), while the mass of individual nuclei don't matter; it's just that higher masses correlate with higher numbers of electrons in most cases. That's why you want metals like lead for stopping protons.

You're right about neutrons though. Because they interact directly with the nucleus and only the nucleus they won't lose much energy unless the nucleus is of a very similar mass.

I'd disagree with thermal neutrons never being a hazard - remember that humans are made of hydrogenous materials - but as with all radiation it heavily depends on the flux. I thought we were talking about really crazy situations like solar flares where you'd have high fluxes, high energies, and want to have a multilayer approach. This could be an issue on long duration journeys like to Mars.

BattleMaster has a new favorite as of 16:15 on May 2, 2017

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

BattleMaster posted:

Protons and neutrons don't work the same way as far as shielding. Heavy charged particles like protons stop almost entirely due to coulomb force while neutrons interact only with the nuclei via strong nuclear force.

Derp. I knew that. In my defense, I am sober right now.

Anyway, here's an exceptionally detailed paper on rad hazards to astronauts on the ISS and during EVA:

http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.118.2763&rep=rep1&type=pdf

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Phanatic posted:

Derp. I knew that. In my defense, I am sober right now.

Anyway, here's an exceptionally detailed paper on rad hazards to astronauts on the ISS and during EVA:

http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.118.2763&rep=rep1&type=pdf

Thanks for that, space isn't something I've studied a whole lot so it will be interesting.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I know a poo poo ton more about toxic chemicals (Chem Engineer) than radioactivity so thanks for all this info. Terrifying and fascinating.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
https://i.imgur.com/dTY8Odm.gifv

The title on reddit said "The world's strongest acid versus a metal spoon", but it was debunked as a gallium-aluminum spoon and warm/hot mountain dew.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

`Nemesis posted:

https://i.imgur.com/dTY8Odm.gifv

The title on reddit said "The world's strongest acid versus a metal spoon", but it was debunked as a gallium-aluminum spoon and warm/hot mountain dew.

Except gallium drops down as a blob on the bottom of the glass, and doesn't turn black. This might be actual acid.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Speaking of gallium, does anyone know if there's any toxicity associated with it? I may be using it for some "magic" for a show that would involve people handling it fairly often.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Carbon dioxide posted:

Except gallium drops down as a blob on the bottom of the glass, and doesn't turn black. This might be actual acid.

He sticks his hand in after if you watch the video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Qc_Sy6IAlI

The black is from the aluminum the gallium was alloyed with, which forms gray aluminum oxide and hydrogen bubbles.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

chitoryu12 posted:

Speaking of gallium, does anyone know if there's any toxicity associated with it? I may be using it for some "magic" for a show that would involve people handling it fairly often.
Its a light metal so its fairly harmless unless you are reacting it with things that make it less fairly harmless. If you're talking about randos handling it your wallets going to hurt more from attrition than anybody is going to get hurt by chemicals.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

zedprime posted:

Its a light metal so its fairly harmless unless you are reacting it with things that make it less fairly harmless. If you're talking about randos handling it your wallets going to hurt more from attrition than anybody is going to get hurt by chemicals.

I was thinking of having one of the guests handle it incidentally to let them know that it's actually metal they're touching, followed by the person performing the magic taking it from them and doing something with it like causing it to rapidly melt in their hand or dissolve into a glass of tap water. One possible idea is a modified glove with a heating pad or similar heater in it.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Carbon dioxide posted:

It's definitely dropping down as blobs on the bottom of the glass, you can see them rolling around there and not reacting with anything.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Gallium seems like it would be such fun to play with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I've seen reusable gallium spoon kits available; might want to track one of those down if you can find it at a price you're willing to pay.