Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Serves me right for listening to the first five minutes and then loving off do something else that doesn't let me use headphones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

Yeah Chapo is way more middle class, with Will being upper middle, Matt being lower middle, and Felix somewhere in between. (note that this does not apply to their respective places on the autistic spectrum)

I hate to break it to you but Will and Felix are upper class by most people's standards, according to what they've said at least. I don't really think of the show in class terms, Street Fight is really more of a working class-type show if that is what you are looking for. Their latest episode on Mike Rowe is a good opener.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers
Isn't "lower middle class" what Americans call working class?

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Bryter posted:

In my experience working class as a term is usually reserved for people who engage in physical/high risk sorts of fields outside of an office environment. Lower middle class ends up capturing those people who don't work those jobs (instead usually falling into some sort of white-collar/service industry), but also don't make enough money/have enough education to properly slot into the middle and upper middle classes.

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
The working mans podcast is cum town

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
Working class can probably include people like welders who can make like 300k a year but have very, very risky jobs

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

HaHAAA!!! Hahahaha!!! *rope ladder drops behind him*

Serf
May 5, 2011

Greatbacon posted:

In my experience working class as a term is usually reserved for people who engage in physical/high risk sorts of fields outside of an office environment. Lower middle class ends up capturing those people who don't work those jobs (instead usually falling into some sort of white-collar/service industry), but also don't make enough money/have enough education to properly slot into the middle and upper middle classes.

I don't know where I fall, since I work an office job, but only make like 24k before taxes/other poo poo. I think I would've been lower middle class at one point, but now I can barely afford to live independently, and that requires roommates.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

"A not so fictional story of what could happen to our Nation. Since I live in Southern Indiana, I suspect I'll be a leader of the resistance movement the author refers to in the ebook."

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕

quote:

This is a fast paced, action packed, post apocalyptic spy thriller, in essence. But instead of the US vs the USSR, it's the US vs a frightening version of the US that anybody who's tried to grocery shop in Los Angeles County can easily imagine.

This is just like a Grisham, except the bad guy is a single mom buying lentils at Whole Foods

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m fucked around with this message at 23:27 on May 1, 2017

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

if you subsist by selling your labour you are working class. it's not about raw income, it's about your relation to the means of production

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

https://twitter.com/2dAmMuslim/status/859079283985321986
You could get this guy to huff jenkem if you told him it would 'trigger a lib'

E:

https://twitter.com/GMPaiella/status/859028602473598976

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
What if your labour is writing a blog for a magazine nobody reads?

Also, anyone else like Dead Pundits? I got interested in Angela Nagle's work thanks to Chapo and she did a great interview with him as well.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

TomViolence posted:

if you subsist by selling your labour you are working class. it's not about raw income, it's about your relation to the means of production

Yes, in the Marxist/academic sense anyone who sells their labor falls into the working class, but in the American colloquial, it more often is used to describe how the person is selling their labor.

This leads to such situations as the aforementioned "working class" welder making six figgies as well as the office drone who usually isn't described as "working class" but very clearly lies within the realm of the proletariat.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

Didn't somebody get #tcot types to do something humiliating like that a while back?

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

Didn't somebody get #tcot types to do something humiliating like that a while back?

https://twitter.com/randygdub/status/615762695527096324?lang=en

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SRlK8bZvqk

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

https://twitter.com/Robbie_gr/status/804117669968429056

https://twitter.com/randygdub/status/615762695527096324

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I thought they kicked Poochie off the Itchy & Scratchy show???

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Twitter is cool

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Flip Yr Wig posted:

You could probably figure out a way to make gardening fascistic. Something about selective breeding, blood and soil, intentional communities. Hell if I'll do the math on that one.
Just noticed this again, and the Nazis absolutely had agronomists advocating quasi-mystical blood and soil stuff.

There are a lot of facile comparisons between Trump and the Nazi Party out there, but one valid one that still strikes me is how many untalented kooks and cranks both administrations brought in because they parroted the right fashionable nonsense.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

The middle class is a myth to separate workers. There are only two classes. Either you make your money by owning or by working.

Also this

steakmancer posted:

The working mans podcast is cum town

Serf
May 5, 2011

this dude put down cardboard first so that he wouldn't get dirty what a big ol baby lol

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Ron Jeremy posted:

The middle class is a myth to separate workers. There are only two classes. Either you make your money by owning or by working.

Also this

What if your work involves owning in the colloquial sense

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

CortezFantastic posted:

I hate to break it to you but Will and Felix are upper class by most people's standards, according to what they've said at least. I don't really think of the show in class terms, Street Fight is really more of a working class-type show if that is what you are looking for. Their latest episode on Mike Rowe is a good opener.

I was stretching the definitions to make a bad spectrum joke but if we're going by the traditional categories, Will is definitely upper class with his dad being a New Yorker editor, iirc Matt was the first in his family to go to college so he's working class and Felix doesn't have health insurance so I don't know where that puts him.

Bryter posted:

Nearly everyone in the US considers themselves to be middle class. It's not common to self-identify as working class since that means you can't be a temporarily embarrassed millionaire.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
To the extent that 20th century finance largely revolved around leveraging wager-earners household real estate and turning their savings into investments, the ideal of the working middle class had some meaning. It's pretty clear how that is hollowing out, however.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I'm assuming Felix doesn't have health insurance because he only recently aged out of his parents' and his employment is podcasting/freelance writing. I'm fairly sure he has a nice financial background.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
you can tell matt isn't upper class because he can't pronounce anything correctly

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

That's a disgusting food combination.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

It's feasible to convince PJW to eat himself into morbid obesity to own liberals

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Moist von Lipwig posted:

you can tell matt isn't upper class because he can't pronounce anything correctly

Then what's the deal with Will getting everyone's name wrong?

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

The Narrator posted:

Undermining the English language tyranny, one surname at a time.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

The Narrator posted:

blehhh I meant Will not Matt

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

The Narrator posted:

I don't know, but Matt's reaction to it is in my Chapo Top Tenhouse.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Yeah *working class*
https://twitter.com/dalykyle/status/859237732815708160

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I wish I had never found out what the Chapo guys look like

SMP
May 5, 2009

Deep down you knew what they looked like anyways

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Just post the new yorker drawing of the chapo boys
https://twitter.com/BrandyLJensen/status/859246367130218497

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Sean Hannity shouldn't be allowed in public without G.O.R.K.A. there to make him look ultra tiny.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Street Fight put the video of their Pittsburgh show with Chapo and @johnny_is_good up on their Patreon, audio should be on their normal feed in a few weeks if they follow their typical schedule. Been wondering if this was coming so long I forgot about it but it is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS

Henchman of Santa posted:

I'm assuming Felix doesn't have health insurance because he only recently aged out of his parents' and his employment is podcasting/freelance writing. I'm fairly sure he has a nice financial background.

He said he grew up upper middle class in Chicago, which considering living in a city, is just upper to most Americans.