Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

a primate posted:

The whole squad was like Kaiden and Vega together.

Except Drack.

But I'll never forgive them for not giving us another Mordin.

same. all of the characters were just the standard bioware/mass effect characters but tweaked a little. vetra is girl garrus(and was honestly the only likable romance option and the one that felt the most classic and tasteful, unlike alot of the other ones which felt like "we can do the witcher too guys". drack was cool, he was old wrex but he didn't have any cares anymore because he found his center with his grand daughter so he was just kinda loving around helping his people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Also Vetra and Drack already know and like each other so taking them as your squad is just spacebros hanging out and loving up kett.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Error 404 posted:

Also Vetra and Drack already know and like each other so taking them as your squad is just spacebros hanging out and loving up kett.

I just got the dialogue where Vetra admits she wishes Drack was their dad. :3:

Also I just killed a dozen people for a new, unique, never-before-heard-of mineral: Nickel.

e: Oh wait it's actually not it just lets me scan it anyway lmao

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

RBA Starblade posted:

I just got the dialogue where Vetra admits she wishes Drack was their dad. :3:

Also I just killed a dozen people for a new, unique, never-before-heard-of mineral: Nickel.

e: Oh wait it's actually not it just lets me scan it anyway lmao
Preaching to the choir here, but there are too many types of goods to harvest and mine. They should have at least restricted the number of elements to like 10, and not included literally some of the most common elements in the entire loving universe

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Just wanted to mention that the penetration mods are the best thing in this game. Put one on the Inferno sniper rifle or that super-accurate shotgun and you can just aim right at the cover that enemies are ducking behind.

RBA Starblade posted:

The Tempest is basically a dorm.

Yet somehow it has multiple guys running around naked, more often than a dorm.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Halloween Jack posted:

Preaching to the choir here, but there are too many types of goods to harvest and mine. They should have at least restricted the number of elements to like 10, and not included literally some of the most common elements in the entire loving universe

I can never remember what the hell I need for the N7 armor upgrades (which I've used the entire game for the power bonuses and because it's still the coolest), it's ridiculous.

I just got done with H047c and it was a cool level until the Remnant vault, but I was pretty certain all the minerals would help me get N7 level 10 armor. Nope it's useless!

Actually besides the PAW, I've used only N7 stuff thanks to the loot boxes.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 22:41 on May 1, 2017

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Serf posted:

Much like the real world, 50% of ME3 is dragged down by 50% of it.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

by that i mean we must exterminate men

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

I can never remember what the hell I need for the N7 armor upgrades (which I've used the entire game for the power bonuses and because it's still the coolest), it's ridiculous.

I just got done with H047c and it was a cool level until the Remnant vault, but I was pretty certain all the minerals would help me get N7 level 10 armor. Nope it's useless!

best driving sequence, yet worst goddamn vault by far

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

The worst part about this bad game is that it looks like it's set up for a sequel uggggghhh.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

VelociBacon posted:

The worst part about this bad game is that it looks like it's set up for a sequel uggggghhh.

well yeah, but who knows if it will even get one. my guess is a few of the top idiots with Andromeda are loving gone. did it sell well?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Dapper_Swindler posted:

well yeah, but who knows if it will even get one. my guess is a few of the top idiots with Andromeda are loving gone. did it sell well?

It'll get a sequel because it was still profitable. If EA is any kind of smart they will scale the game back and we will get a Mass effect 2 style game as far as being less open world and more focused in on the story. I liked the open world attempt but it is easy to get it wrong and wind up with a workload that you cannot possibly shoehorn into a reasonable game development timeline. EA being EA didn't help in that regard.

I would like them to do open world right but if they can't I'd rather at least have a polished and cohesive story and good pacing.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

orange juche posted:

It'll get a sequel because it was still profitable. If EA is any kind of smart they will scale the game back and we will get a Mass effect 2 style game as far as being less open world and more focused in on the story. I liked the open world attempt but it is easy to get it wrong and wind up with a workload that you cannot possibly shoehorn into a reasonable game development timeline. EA being EA didn't help in that regard.

I would like them to do open world right but if they can't I'd rather at least have a polished and cohesive story and good pacing.

That's actually interesting because I found the story to be more awful than the "open world" aspects of the game. I'm used to ignoring those open world mechanics because I've played enough games in the last 10 years to see they're just trying to drag the game out.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

RBA Starblade posted:

If you just do the phone app for a few weeks without playing you will have unlimited resources.

comatose
Nov 23, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
As part of the Sloane/Reyes quest I wish there was a third option which had you tow Kadara into the sun.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

VelociBacon posted:

That's actually interesting because I found the story to be more awful than the "open world" aspects of the game. I'm used to ignoring those open world mechanics because I've played enough games in the last 10 years to see they're just trying to drag the game out.

I didn't say the story was good. I like that they attempted to do open world but lmao they hosed it up pretty good.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 03:55 on May 2, 2017

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

VelociBacon posted:

i found both bad. it didnt improve the open world from inquestion, hell it was worse and while the combat was funish, it wasnt anything great. the story was meh and felt really generic and boring and had none of the great moments from the old games and even a the decent to good party members could save it. it was trying to be light hearted which is cool but it didn't know how to do it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Tenzarin posted:

If you just do the phone app for a few weeks without playing you will have unlimited resources.

I have been, it's helped but I'm not getting the stuff I actually need from it. Sure have a lot of Crusaders though!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
The biggest problem I'm having is finding a decent set of weapons. No matter what I try I always end up with Sweeper, Piranha and Sidewinder (because who doens't like a space revolver).

I keep trying new stuff as I find it, but It's never as good as those 3, or at least as fun. There's better shotguns than the Piranha but that thing at level 5 can take down charging fiends in one magazine. Sweeper is great because its hyper accurate and you always have ammo for it, even if overheating is long than reloading.

Armor too, like the Remanent Armor seems like it would be the stuff to work towards but a full suit looks like complete rear end, so I'm alternative between Hyper Guardian and helus defender. I'm focusing mostly on tech skills because in something like 12 playthroughs combined of ME1 2 and 3, I never once chose a tech character class. Eh I think I like Biotics and shooting stuff more.

As for the game itself, 94 hours and I've done a lot, and I've never really felt like I've been just going around doing pointless quests, everything seems that it works in the over all meta story about understanding Andromeda and making a home there. But then I am the person who did every ? in Witcher 3. And I mean ALL of them, including the water ones in Skellige. I do wish there was more focus on finding worlds and colonizing them though. Every planet is occupied and you just feel like a johnny come lately. The Nomad handles fine, once I realized switching to 6 wheel drive was more like changing gears it became a lot easier to get around, not to mention some upgrades help too. Though maps are still filled the obvious ramps to get you over things.

As is said, Liam is just boring as poo poo, he doesn't seem to get along with anyone else on the team, and he's just another human. Cora isn't much better but at least she has that Asaiboo thing that is kind of amusing sometimes. Jaal is pretty good when he starts asking about Milky Way races and insight on the Angara but outside of that, it's not that fun to have him around. It's really about Rotating Vetra, Drack and Peebee. They're all fun to have along with you, and their conversations are great. I like that Drack and Peebee get along super well, she even will open up and tell her actually name and that her dad was an Elcor.

I'm glad I saw someone in a recent page mention the whole thing about the Kett transforming other races into them. Yea that's classic sci fi horror there, but it's so over used. Why couldn't the Kett just be an actual militaristic conquering race rather than another faceless enemy? At least we see someone other than the Archon has some independence with the deal with the leader on Voeld, not to mention shooting her in the back with a shotgun was when the game went from a 7 to an 8 for me.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

twistedmentat posted:

The biggest problem I'm having is finding a decent set of weapons. No matter what I try I always end up with Sweeper, Piranha and Sidewinder (because who doens't like a space revolver).

I keep trying new stuff as I find it, but It's never as good as those 3, or at least as fun. There's better shotguns than the Piranha but that thing at level 5 can take down charging fiends in one magazine. Sweeper is great because its hyper accurate and you always have ammo for it, even if overheating is long than reloading.

Weapons are severely unbalanced this time around. There's a reason why you gravitate towards certain weapons.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

I'm glad I saw someone in a recent page mention the whole thing about the Kett transforming other races into them. Yea that's classic sci fi horror there, but it's so over used. Why couldn't the Kett just be an actual militaristic conquering race rather than another faceless enemy? At least we see someone other than the Archon has some independence with the deal with the leader on Voeld, not to mention shooting her in the back with a shotgun was when the game went from a 7 to an 8 for me.

It's mass effect they 100% are unable to make an enemy species that doesn't have a top-down style of leadership and a lot of extra bones in their head.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

twistedmentat posted:

Have you tried the Equalizer and/or Talon? Those are my go-to SMG and shotgun/pistol respectively.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

a primate posted:

The whole squad was like Kaiden and Vega together.

Except Drack.

But I'll never forgive them for not giving us another Mordin.

i think this is why a larger cast of fully realized, distinct characters works best - in me2 you were bound to like a few of them, hate a few of them and that's fine, just roll with whatever team you want and leave the scrubs behind whoever they might be because there are plenty of bodies to spare for every mission; me3 conversely had fewer squad members but bioware had the advantage of being able to cherrypick the established fan favorites from previous games for a return or otherwise expand the roles of existing minor favorites

da2 was somewhat similar, there were a couple returnees but fewer party members overall - they all were, however, so distinctively written with strong opinions re: the main plot that you were bound to have strong feelings about them one way or another in return

me:a felt more like the writers were toeing the line in making people inoffensively likeable, the resulting blandness just bored me save for a couple of exceptions, ideally the me:a would have learned from the original trilogy's slight misstep and should have introduced a larger, more diverse cast of developed party members early to fish for the characters that resonate most with fans for development in later games (it also makes sense to get most of the introductions out of the way early anyway); instead it followed in me1's footsteps with a tighter original cast but without the novelty of a totally new setting to justify weaker characterization (in me1's case, some people were just elaborate exposition devices, in me:a case there was too much concern for amicability imho)

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
Got really annoyed when Jaal kept getting pissy with me because of my choices. By the end I was deliberately making choices he wouldn't like to spite him. Everyone else was good to fine though.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It's pretty annoying that even when you don't bring Jaal on missions with you, he still won't shut up

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

twistedmentat posted:

I'm rolling a Hurricane & Black Widow, Sentinel Profile, Incinerate, Energy Drain and Overload, Maverick torso ( only because I lacked the resources at one time for the Pathfinder torso ), Pathfinder arms and legs, augmented for tech recharge and combo radius and the torso has the 25% Shield on kill augment. The Hurricane has the old fashioned heatsink and is for burst damage up close, the Black widow is for observers. Everything else is just combo explosions.

ZombyDog fucked around with this message at 09:08 on May 2, 2017

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

precision posted:

It's pretty annoying that even when you don't bring Jaal on missions with you, he still won't shut up

Jaal and Reyes were clearly the writer's favorites in the entire game.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
huh. the archon was voiced by rob kazinsky.

impossible to tell with all the fx over his dialogue. what a waste.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Milky Moor posted:

huh. the archon was voiced by rob kazinsky.

impossible to tell with all the fx over his dialogue. what a waste.

Didn't realise until you pointed out and yes that's a massive waste of his talent.

Kind of like most of the effort that went into ME:A really. Typical designed by committee product.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

hard counter posted:

i think this is why a larger cast of fully realized, distinct characters works best - in me2 you were bound to like a few of them, hate a few of them and that's fine, just roll with whatever team you want and leave the scrubs behind whoever they might be because there are plenty of bodies to spare for every mission; me3 conversely had fewer squad members but bioware had the advantage of being able to cherrypick the established fan favorites from previous games for a return or otherwise expand the roles of existing minor favorites

da2 was somewhat similar, there were a couple returnees but fewer party members overall - they all were, however, so distinctively written with strong opinions re: the main plot that you were bound to have strong feelings about them one way or another in return

me:a felt more like the writers were toeing the line in making people inoffensively likeable, the resulting blandness just bored me save for a couple of exceptions, ideally the me:a would have learned from the original trilogy's slight misstep and should have introduced a larger, more diverse cast of developed party members early to fish for the characters that resonate most with fans for development in later games (it also makes sense to get most of the introductions out of the way early anyway); instead it followed in me1's footsteps with a tighter original cast but without the novelty of a totally new setting to justify weaker characterization (in me1's case, some people were just elaborate exposition devices, in me:a case there was too much concern for amicability imho)

Agree with all of this. Also with, like ME2 and DA2, there was some squad friction. Everyone in this game is so cheery and chummy. I want some companions to want to murder each other.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

VelociBacon posted:

It's mass effect they 100% are unable to make an enemy species that doesn't have a top-down style of leadership and a lot of extra bones in their head.

It seems like generally in Sci-fi that's what aliens tend to be now. Lets just give them a boney head and made them all drones.

Thor-Stryker posted:

Weapons are severely unbalanced this time around. There's a reason why you gravitate towards certain weapons.

Yea I noticed that. Some weapons just suuuuck, even if they were good in the first games. That grenade launcher shotgun seems like it should just be a bigger Scorpion but it's complete rear end.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

NikkolasKing posted:

Agree with all of this. Also with, like ME2 and DA2, there was some squad friction. Everyone in this game is so cheery and chummy. I want some companions to want to murder each other.

Try bringing Liam and Vetra planetside with you, that's pretty funny.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

twistedmentat posted:

It seems like generally in Sci-fi that's what aliens tend to be now. Lets just give them a boney head and made them all drones.

What, where else is that a thing? I can only think of star trek beyond and this.

Taear fucked around with this message at 12:39 on May 2, 2017

Carebearz
May 6, 2008

CARE BEAR STARE

:regd10:

RBA Starblade posted:

I like when you're wearing N7 armor and you talk to the guy that leads the outpost on Eos. He tells you your haven't earned the right to wear N7 but not in a douchey way that most people go after stolen valor.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Carebearz posted:

I like when you're wearing N7 armor and you talk to the guy that leads the outpost on Eos. He tells you your haven't earned the right to wear N7 but not in a douchey way that most people go after stolen valor.

BMX_Ryder you haven't earned the right to wear armor worn by soldiers of a dead civilisation 600 years in the past.

*issues edict to arrest any people wearing Roman Legionnaire armor for a costume party, or any civil war re-enactors for any part of human history*

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Android Blues posted:

Try bringing Liam and Vetra planetside with you, that's pretty funny.

I did this during his loyalty mission. They hate each other.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

DancingShade posted:

BMX_Ryder you haven't earned the right to wear armor worn by soldiers of a dead civilisation 600 years in the past.

*issues edict to arrest any people wearing Roman Legionnaire armor for a costume party, or any civil war re-enactors for any part of human history*

I like how instead of consisting of the best soldiers Apex forces consist of randoms who couldn't hack it in the Milky Way. Outside of the human female vanguard who's background is "was a security guard but thought Andromeda would be fun" you've got the Turian Soldier who's probably a war criminal and the one Krogan who's a teenager who skipped his bar mitzvah. And they apparently stole all the actually good weapons from the Alliance because they wouldn't trust the AI with anything more than dull scissors.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

RBA Starblade posted:

I like how instead of consisting of the best soldiers Apex forces consist of randoms who couldn't hack it in the Milky Way. Outside of the human female vanguard who's background is "was a security guard but thought Andromeda would be fun" you've got the Turian Soldier who's probably a war criminal and the one Krogan who's a teenager who skipped his bar mitzvah. And they apparently stole all the actually good weapons from the Alliance because they wouldn't trust the AI with anything more than dull scissors.

It's almost as if there's an analog to the creation of the the United States/Australia. Send all your criminals to a new world...

Carebearz
May 6, 2008

CARE BEAR STARE

:regd10:

Thor-Stryker posted:

It's almost as if there's an analog to the creation of the the United States/Australia. Send all your criminals to a new world...

Does that mean when Milky way people show up demanding all our new poo poo we're gonna throw their space-tea into the space-harbor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
What happens when you put stuff like the particle beam mod, seeking plasma, and plasma charge mods on weapons that are unique, like the Reegar and the Scorpion?

The Plasma Charge and Seeking Plasma are weird. I put the plasma charge on a pistol, and it turned my Carnifex into a handheld grenade launcher that let me lob bombs over cover to hit groups of mooks clustered together. But when I put it on a Disciple and went to town on an eiroch, the damage wasn't impressive. Is the point of the Plasma Charge to turn your gun into a lower-damage area effect weapon? The same gun with a Seeking Plasma mod did far more damage.