Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Does the 1Password Helper always have to be open in order for the browser extension to work? The extension often doesn't detect it anyway.

Is there a way to disable the Helper check or is doing that another gaping security hole that I should avoid doing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Mak0rz posted:

Does the 1Password Helper always have to be open in order for the browser extension to work? The extension often doesn't detect it anyway.

Is there a way to disable the Helper check or is doing that another gaping security hole that I should avoid doing?
It doesn't need to be open to work, but antivirus programs can interfere with it. We use Sophos at work, and the Chrome extension basically doesn't work on my Windows 10 laptop, but seems to work fine on my Windows 7 laptop, and on my Windows 10 desktop at home, which doesn't have Sophos.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

anthonypants posted:

It doesn't need to be open to work, but antivirus programs can interfere with it. We use Sophos at work, and the Chrome extension basically doesn't work on my Windows 10 laptop, but seems to work fine on my Windows 7 laptop, and on my Windows 10 desktop at home, which doesn't have Sophos.

But it consistently refuses to work unless the desktop app is open, for which it only works sometimes :confused:

I don't use third-party antivirus programs. The only thing that comes close is Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit. Would that do it?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
If you do an Alt+Tab and hold down the alt key, do you see a 1Password prompt to enter your password? Sometimes that window gets thrown around for me.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Mak0rz posted:

The browser extension is merely a front end for the helper app as far as I know. The extension itself isn't interacting with 1Password directly, it calls the helper app to interact. I don't think it will work at all if the helper app isn't present and/or can't be launched.

The helper app still requires you to unlock the database with your password. Those credentials age out after 5 minutes of idle time on the computer. The nice thing is, that since it's the helper app doing all the heavy lifting the browser extension itself can't be used to leak the master password (in theory, but I haven't heard of anyone mounting a successful attack that way... yet).

I'm probably completely misunderstanding how the extension works, but that was how I always thought it worked since it complains otherwise for me.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Anyone have any suggestions or guides for setting up a portable OS on a flash drive for travel? I'm going on a bike tour for a couple months and would like something along those lines for public computers at hostels and the like. I'd be using VPN/SSH to connect to my home network for backing stuff up, but if that's a dumb idea I'm open to other suggestions.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Like a LiveCD on a USB stick, or are you storing documents or something on it?

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

The only persistent stuff I'd like would be whatever client I use to connect to my home network, and maybe my password manager so I don't have to rely on re-downloading it every boot. I can always remote in to my home PC if I want to do anything fancier than browsing or uploading.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

I tried to do this about a year ago using an Ubuntu stick (it had persistence making it a decent choice).
Few to no public computers around anymore will boot off a USB, or connect to the internet if they did.

Maybe if you're looking at a shared PC in a hostel it might work, but it will not work most times in anything resembling an internet cafe / library.
YMMV of course.
What do you need a desktop for when you're travelling, that wouldn't be served by a lightweight tablet / your smartphone?

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Strava's route planning doesn't work on mobile, which is what I've been using to plan my trip, along with OneNote being a pain to navigate on a phone. I can deal with using my phone for other stuff that just becomes more inconvenient on mobile, but those two are the main ones that really need a PC.

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017
So, what options are there for if I wanted to back-up my smartphone, factory reset it, and then use it for travel, then when I return, re-download everything? Is there software that does this?

It seems like more and more it isn't exactly being tinfoil when most countries border crossings routinely mass download personal data off of smartphones, and since I don't really need access to my email or any other software (I just want to use my smartphone for Google maps, internet and texting when I travel).

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Oysters Autobio posted:

It seems like more and more it isn't exactly being tinfoil when most countries border crossings routinely mass download personal data off of smartphones

What countries do this?

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Oysters Autobio posted:

So, what options are there for if I wanted to back-up my smartphone, factory reset it, and then use it for travel, then when I return, re-download everything? Is there software that does this?

It seems like more and more it isn't exactly being tinfoil when most countries border crossings routinely mass download personal data off of smartphones, and since I don't really need access to my email or any other software (I just want to use my smartphone for Google maps, internet and texting when I travel).

Mobile phones' backup and restore is at the point where a factory reset + setup is generally pretty straight forward.

That said if your premise is to dodge things like "show me your social networks" factory reseting your phone is just going to accomplish pissing off the customs agent. Don't try and sovereign citizen around when border crossing.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

BigFactory posted:

What countries do this?

The US for one.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

RFC2324 posted:

The US for one.

Can you give me an example of this?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

BigFactory posted:

Can you give me an example of this?

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/american-citizens-u-s-border-agents-can-search-your-cellphone-n732746

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Cool thanks. Is this what that guy is worried about?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

BigFactory posted:

Cool thanks. Is this what that guy is worried about?

Does it really matter?

I plan on doing the same thing when I travel in and out of country for work on both my computer and my smart phone. And I'm not even in the demographic DHS profiles.

It's infuriating that CBP can trample all over our civil-liberties without even needing a loving warrant.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Maybe installing portable apps on a thumb drive might serve your travel purposes? Yeah, you'd still be stuck with using whatever computer you accessed, but at least you'd have persistent installs of applications that way. I've done this just to have access to LibreOffice on computers at the local university for those times I really don't want to have to hassle with Word.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

Is there a recommended by experts way to zap/reset all the passwords on a Windows XP machine? My daughter has lost her cheat sheet and forgot them all at the same time. I've googled etc and there are options but who knows which actually works. She's lost the disk as well of course so no re-installing unless we download it and repair it. Any easy ways? (he said expecting the answer no)

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

Seaside Loafer posted:

Windows XP machine

:gonk::gonk::gonk:

I'm assuming that these are passwords to websites she uses. You should do the following things in this order:

1) Backup any data on the machine
2) Either install Windows 10 on the existing machine (if possible), or get a new machine that runs Windows 10
3) Don't skip step 2. Seriously don't.
4) I mean it. Get an OS that has not been end-of-life'd
5) Don't even think about posting below saying "WinXP works fine"
6) Get keepass (free) or 1password (paid)
7) Go through each of the websites in question and go through the password reset process. Set the new password to a strong password generated by keepass/1password
8) You skipped step 2 didn't you? Might as well save yourself some time and cryptolock your own files then throw away the key.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
Get a new computer. Seriously.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Its the actual login passwords nothing to do with sites.

I did have her on a update schedule so up until the recent worm nastiness she is probably ok but we can get the patch for that installed.

One of the things I recommended to her mum was to buy Windows 7, I cant remember the exact spec of the box but its not in the i3/5/7 series, its the generation before that so I dont know if thats capable of windows 10.

I have already managed her mums expectations by saying they will probably have to flatten it but I was wondering if there was a sneaky way around it. She has got some personal data on it.

All she does is play games on steam on it really so its not a disaster but if there is a way without re-installing or taking the drive out and putting it on something else id give it a go.

They would love to get a new computer but its not practical for them right now.

Thanks for your replies btw!

Seaside Loafer fucked around with this message at 16:21 on May 31, 2017

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
You can put Ubuntu on a USB stick to get the data off the hard drive. Just don't actually install it.

You could probably change the Windows XP password too, but I don't know the method and if you're going to reinstall anyway...

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Ok thanks, yeah that was one of the options ive seen. Yeah think we might have to, there isnt that much on it but some drawings and writings she would like to keep and possibly a text file with her steam account details in it. This one looked interesting http://pogostick.net/~pnh/ntpasswd/ but it all looks sketchy as gently caress.

Seaside Loafer fucked around with this message at 17:00 on May 31, 2017

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Ophcrack will recover the password.

Seaside Loafer posted:

I did have her on a update schedule so up until the recent worm nastiness she is probably ok
How have you been getting updates since April 2014 (the last 3 years)?

XP support is discontinued. There are some workarounds to make it get essential updates but it is STILL not secure and I doubt you have been doing this.
Install any supported OS.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Yeah alright i'll make them get Windows 7.

Thank you all for the suggestions.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

Seaside Loafer posted:

One of the things I recommended to her mum was to buy Windows 7, I cant remember the exact spec of the box but its not in the i3/5/7 series, its the generation before that so I dont know if thats capable of windows 10.

buying a core 2 duo (?) and a retail windows 7 license in 2017 :psyduck:

this is almost certainly not the best use of your money

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

When the time comes for a new computer, buying something a couple generations old is kind of a trap, since you're saving at the most about a 100 bucks for an OS that's going to lose support if it hasn't already and a computer that may struggle to perform.
If your daughter needs something nowish, check if there's a freegeek nearby. They can hook you up with a decent computer for real cheap, usually using Ubuntu, which they also offer classes in.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Fruits of the sea posted:

They can hook you up with a decent computer for real cheap, usually using Ubuntu, which they also offer classes in.

Don't do this if it means going with Ubuntu. Ubuntu sucks and her Steam games probably won't work.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

Seaside Loafer posted:

Ok thanks, yeah that was one of the options ive seen. Yeah think we might have to, there isnt that much on it but some drawings and writings she would like to keep and possibly a text file with her steam account details in it. This one looked interesting http://pogostick.net/~pnh/ntpasswd/ but it all looks sketchy as gently caress.

ntpasswd works great and isn't sketchy at all. I mean, unless you're committing a crime with it, which you aren't.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Last Chance posted:

Don't do this if it means going with Ubuntu. Ubuntu sucks and her Steam games probably won't work.

It's an emergency solution that lets her do homework and facebook, just in case. But yes, most games won't work or will require dicking around with wine.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Rufus Ping posted:

buying a core 2 duo (?) and a retail windows 7 license in 2017 :psyduck:

this is almost certainly not the best use of your money
They arent buying one silly, its what they have got. Its one of my cast-offs from a few years back. I've been recommending a new one to her for ages but its her money. Even flat out offered to get them one a couple of months ago but got knocked back. I will persevere though and hopefully get the message across.

Seaside Loafer fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Jun 1, 2017

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

MiniFoo posted:

ntpasswd works great and isn't sketchy at all. I mean, unless you're committing a crime with it, which you aren't.
Really honestly? I cant tell from the meta humor sometimes :) I'll do it as a stopgap if its real.

keseph
Oct 21, 2010

beep bawk boop bawk
Use a DaRT disk. That same site has videos demos on using it to reset passwords. Encrypted files and saved credentials are encrypted with a derivative of your password so they will be unrecoverable after you reset the password.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Seaside Loafer posted:

Really honestly? I cant tell from the meta humor sometimes :) I'll do it as a stopgap if its real.
any tool you'll find is a thousand times less shady than running xp in 2017, nevermind it being tied to steam where some transaction has to be occurring

if they're refusing any guidance and you've even offered to do it all for them you have to weigh your options up as poo poo going wrong in the future will fall back on you

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

any tool you'll find is a thousand times less shady than running xp in 2017, nevermind it being tied to steam where some transaction has to be occurring

if they're refusing any guidance and you've even offered to do it all for them you have to weigh your options up as poo poo going wrong in the future will fall back on you

Agreed. I'll try to push it. Thanks all.

The Wu-Tang Secret
Nov 28, 2004

The hard drive on my computer just failed this weekend, a bunch of bad sectors and stuff on it. The guys I took it to managed to get it in a state where I could recover the data, but apparently it got hit with a CryptoWall virus at some point. When we browsed the drive, I didn't see many files that were encrypted, but who knows if they might be at any time. Should I even bother trying to get the data off this thing, and if so, what precautions should I take? How difficult/expensive would it be to actually remove the virus?

EDIT: Actually, come to think of it, it might have been infected for a while. A few years ago, I remember something happening and seemingly corrupting all of the files on my computer, and I do recall occasionally seeing INSTALL_TOR files floating around. I distinctly remember it getting all of my JPGs, but none of my PNGs. None of the stuff I downloaded after the incident was corrupted, so maybe it's just been there for a while and I never noticed my files were being held for ransom.

The Wu-Tang Secret fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jun 27, 2017

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

The Wu-Tang Secret posted:

The hard drive on my computer just failed this weekend, a bunch of bad sectors and stuff on it. The guys I took it to managed to get it in a state where I could recover the data, but apparently it got hit with a CryptoWall virus at some point. When we browsed the drive, I didn't see many files that were encrypted, but who knows if they might be at any time. Should I even bother trying to get the data off this thing, and if so, what precautions should I take? How difficult/expensive would it be to actually remove the virus?

In theory any drive, hard, ssd, usb should be safe to plug in if you can manage not to boot from it or autorun.

I think usb actually has a history of being more dangerous than an hdd when you're just cold plugging it in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I've been using KeePass for several years without issue. However I recently changed to using an iPhone from Android and I'm finding the KeePass iOS apps to be a bit poo poo. The other gripe I have is automatic entry is clunky in KeePass which means I end up manually copy and pasting most of the time both in Windows and iOS. I only use Windows and iOS by the way.

Is it worth changing to 1Pass? If the user experience is much better than KeePass I'm happy to pay the sub but I can't tell.