Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Force de Fappe posted:

Ferdinand, a Good Catte who once graced us by living with us, loved cheese, both regular and Norwegian brown cheese (geitost/gjetost).
more than one of my cats happily chewed on plastic cables, just because they can eat it doesn't make it something they can digest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Cheese and dairy is a sometimes food for kitties. Make a tidbit of it a special treat, not an every day thing.

\/\/A scrap or shred of cheese every few days wont kill them. Go to PI if you want to go pet food crazy \/\/

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 23:49 on May 1, 2017

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
Cats are barn animals.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

GrAviTy84 posted:

cats_are_obligate_carnivores.txt

Coconuts have meat.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Cats are lactose intolerant. Virtually all mammals are. Humans are a rare exception among mammals, having evolved lactase persistence at least twice, resulting in large human populations that can tolerate milk (and other lactose-rich dairy products) past the age of weaning.

If you're feeding milk to pretty much any companion animal past the age of weaning you're almost certainly making it ill, even if it seems to enjoy the actual consumption of the milk.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

TheJeffers posted:

We just bought a fancy induction range and I use my cast iron on it all the time. Just don't bang it down onto the surface like an ape or scrub it around a whole bunch and it'll be fine.

I remember the first time I used my mom's new stove...
That was two years ago, and I don't think I've been forgiven yet. I might take this one to the grave.

So yeah, they ain't like a cast iron gas stove, you have to be gentle.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Speaking of cheese, why are the Dutch so amazing at cheese, but so bad at meat?

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

SubG posted:

Cats are lactose intolerant. Virtually all mammals are. Humans are a rare exception among mammals, having evolved lactase persistence at least twice, resulting in large human populations that can tolerate milk (and other lactose-rich dairy products) past the age of weaning.

If you're feeding milk to pretty much any companion animal past the age of weaning you're almost certainly making it ill, even if it seems to enjoy the actual consumption of the milk.

:jerkbag:

Echeveria posted:

I made coconut milk custard

Anyways, in regards to the custard itself, and not my apparent torture of my cat, I used 5 egg yolks, a can of full fat coconut milk, 1/3 cup of granulated sugar, and the recipe called for 1/4 cup of cornstarch. Once chilled, it's very very thick. If I wanted it a bit softer, would I be better off reducing the cornstarch or going down to 4 egg yolks? I think I'd like to be able to pipe it into pastries and use it as cake filling.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Yeah, pfft. Who needs science when you've got a dismissive emoticon?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

What's the easiest/best way for an dumb American in Hicksville to make some paneer? I tried it once using about 1/4 gallon of milk passed its sell-by date but the yield was probably 1-2 servings which wasn't great (granted a serving for me is huuuge).

Anyone with a Wegmans know if they sell it in bulk?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

al-azad posted:

What's the easiest/best way for an dumb American in Hicksville to make some paneer? I tried it once using about 1/4 gallon of milk passed its sell-by date but the yield was probably 1-2 servings which wasn't great (granted a serving for me is huuuge).

Anyone with a Wegmans know if they sell it in bulk?

Hey man, I grew up near Hicksville. They don't have Wegmans in Ohio OR Long Island.

So, the thing with cheese is.. Well, the best way I ever heard it was that "Cheese is the corpse of milk". If you want a higher yield, you need richer milk, OR a stronger coagulant (or more milk). Were you using a renet component at all, or just a straight acid fix?

I am surprised you got 2 servings out of a 1/4 gallon. I'd consider that a highly successful cheesemaking operation there. Just use more milk next time, (get a gallon of whole milk, you'll be fine) and remember! NEVER UHT. It leads only to sadness.

Or cheat and add cream. But again, not UHT.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 02:13 on May 2, 2017

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Squashy Nipples posted:

Speaking of cheese, why are the Dutch so amazing at cheese, but so bad at meat?

A history of prioritizing dairy over animal consumption and a cultural proclivity (in former centuries) to a certain asceticism.

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

SubG posted:

Yeah, pfft. Who needs science when you've got a dismissive emoticon?

It's not that I disagree with science, it's that this is a food thread, not PI. I did not give my cat any dairy. And letting her lick what amounts to 1/8th to 1/4 of a teaspoon of cooked coconut milk and egg yolk off my finger will not kill her. Neither will someone giving their cat a shred of cheese. Marginal cornstarch and sugar aside, coconut oil is recommended by a lot of vets and added to food as a healthy source of oils, and egg yolks are just protein. You can feel free to hop off your high horse and hang out with us mortals that occasionally give their pets too many treats or let them lick the yogurt off the foil lid.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Echeveria posted:

It's not that I disagree with science, it's that this is a food thread, not PI. I did not give my cat any dairy. And letting her lick what amounts to 1/8th to 1/4 of a teaspoon of cooked coconut milk and egg yolk off my finger will not kill her. Neither will someone giving their cat a shred of cheese. Marginal cornstarch and sugar aside, coconut oil is recommended by a lot of vets and added to food as a healthy source of oils, and egg yolks are just protein. You can feel free to hop off your high horse and hang out with us mortals that occasionally give their pets too many treats or let them lick the yogurt off the foil lid.
What high horse? It is factually true that cats, like virtually all animals, are lactose intolerant (after weaning). It does not appear to be true that this is generally known. It therefore seems like something worth mentioning if feeding milk to pets comes up.

I mean I guess if you want to interpret this as a personal attack on your moral character or whatever that's cool but I was just operating under the assumption that it's worth being informed on the matter.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Dogs love spaghetti.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
My dog loves kimchi

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

I made some slaw this weekend and I added a bit of daikon into it (In retrospect that's probably why it smells funky now). I decided to microplane half of the daikon, since I've had grated daikon before.

I also decided to microplane the carrot instead of chopping it. It turned out really good! It added sweetness so I didn't need to add sugar. Plus the microplaned carrot tasted good by itself - a little sweet and surprisingly flavorful.

Are there other root vegetables worthy of microplaning? Beets? Turnips?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Suspect Bucket posted:

Hey man, I grew up near Hicksville. They don't have Wegmans in Ohio OR Long Island.

So, the thing with cheese is.. Well, the best way I ever heard it was that "Cheese is the corpse of milk". If you want a higher yield, you need richer milk, OR a stronger coagulant (or more milk). Were you using a renet component at all, or just a straight acid fix?

I am surprised you got 2 servings out of a 1/4 gallon. I'd consider that a highly successful cheesemaking operation there. Just use more milk next time, (get a gallon of whole milk, you'll be fine) and remember! NEVER UHT. It leads only to sadness.

Or cheat and add cream. But again, not UHT.

Straight acid. Good thing about living in Hicksville, or at least the border zone between Hicksville and Capital City, is that I can probably find a farm somewhere and get fresh milk.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

my cat eats popcorn and tamales

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

While my dogs eat anything, my cat only gets organic paleo wagyu.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Just kidding I don't have any dogs right now.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

Echeveria posted:

You're a cat owner and aa foil topped yogurt eater? Scum of the lowest kind. I bet that finger was your dick.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

KyloWinter posted:

You're a foil topped yogurt eater? Scum of the lowest kind. I bet that finger was your dick.

this but really though

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Dogs love spaghetti.

Dogs love feces.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Dogs do not have discriminating palates.

I have made paneer using full fat milk and lemon juice to curdle it. It didn't make a huge amount but it's tremendously satisfying. I'd say just use more milk. The effort is about the same as making a smaller batch. I imagine that full fat milk works better than semi skimmed or, god forbid, skimmed.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Thankfully, my cat generally shows no interest in people food. Except for empty ice cream bowls, sometimes she licks those.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Mr. Wiggles posted:

A history of prioritizing dairy over animal consumption and a cultural proclivity (in former centuries) to a certain asceticism.

I like this answer. I had to think about it for a bit, but I like it.
Thank you.

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007
Sometimes if I accidentally break the yolk when making eggs, I finish cooking them through and feed them to the kitty.

He really, really likes it, and it seems to make his coat silkier. It's a win-win.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My cat smokes.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

rj54x posted:

Sometimes if I accidentally break the yolk when making eggs, I finish cooking them through and feed them to the kitty.

He really, really likes it, and it seems to make his coat silkier. It's a win-win.

I eat a lot of hardboiled egg whites and crumble a half a yolk over my cat's food about twice a week. She goes absolutely bananas for it, to the point that I have to shut her out of the room when I'm eating the eggs and she's yowling loudly outside waiting for her treat.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

My cat licks butter

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

KyloWinter posted:

You're a cat owner and aa foil topped yogurt eater? Scum of the lowest kind. I bet that finger was your dick.

I don't eat yogurt, my husband does, but.... is there another kind of yogurt? Usually I buy a tub of activia for him.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

You'd better be careful. Next thing you know, she'll be riding in cars with boys.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Echeveria posted:

I don't eat yogurt, my husband does, but.... is there another kind of yogurt? Usually I buy a tub of activia for him.

make your own in hinge top jars using your Anova/Joule/PolyScience/Sous Vide Magic/Sansaire

One of our cats likes to eat our rabbits' orchard grass hay. it's really weird.

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 18:02 on May 2, 2017

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I milk my cat but it's mostly for medicinal use.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

GrAviTy84 posted:

make your own in hinge top jars using your Anova/Joule/PolyScience/Sous Vide Magic/Sansaire

One of our cats likes to eat our rabbits' orchard grass hay. it's really weird.

Without fail, every time we come home from the ~farmers market~, our cat sneaks a bite of whatever greens poke out of the bag. Bought her a cat grass planter but she wants scallion greens :kimchi:

Hauki
May 11, 2010

BrianBoitano posted:

Without fail, every time we come home from the ~farmers market~, our cat sneaks a bite of whatever greens poke out of the bag. Bought her a cat grass planter but she wants scallion greens :kimchi:

alliums are toxic to cats, so don't let her do that?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
My cat, who is 17, senile, and only wants to live in the kitchen now, stole all the bacon and cheese off of my spinach salad the other day.

She's old and skinny and probably not long for this world anyway so she eats whatever what she wants.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 19:36 on May 2, 2017

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

GWS General Chat: we are bad at cats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I have a cat that freaking loves corn tortillas. We've never given them human food, and I don't feed them to him but I guess a piece of a chip fell on the floor at a party or something and he ate it. Since then if he hears a chip bag being opened he runs in and does the whole purr and beg thing at my feet. Weird cat. It's kinda impressive because it's been probably more than a year since he may have accidentally had some and my wife definitely does not give the cats human food either.