Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

UberJew posted:

i really doubt anybody has strike eagles for sale

they're probably the single best ground attacker in the world

Well poo poo, guess we gotta go for Super Hornets then.

https://wiki.baloogancampaign.com/index.php/DataWeapon?ID=2855

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014
just put gunpods on the air to air missles

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Can our lovely little port handle the majority of the nation's lithium exports? If not, we probably shouldn't blow up the main port and piss the first world off.

Also I'm not sure about striking the oil refineries either. I bet a lot of that oil technically belongs to China, and we don't really need to give them further excuse to intervene.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Also I'm not sure about striking the oil refineries either. I bet a lot of that oil technically belongs to China, and we don't really need to give them further excuse to intervene.

Nope! China takes the oil crude. That refinery is strictly regional.

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
Severely reducing Lithium exports is going to make a ton of people mad. Including the only power that has supercarriers.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

sparkmaster posted:

Severely reducing Lithium exports is going to make a ton of people mad. Including the only power that has supercarriers.

And since we want to buy Strike Eagles from them...

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
Okay, based on new intel, here's my list of our primary targets for the day, in descending order of priority:

1) The Bulgarians and anyone else of consequence between our guys and Lobito.

2) The remaining parts of the dictator's radar network.

3) The dictator's troops defending Kuito airfield and the central lithium mines.

4) The port facilities at Luanda. Loading and unloading only; we want to avoid hitting ships and oil infrastructure.

5) Airbases north of the Lobito-Huambo-Kuito line, prioritizing fuel and ammo stores.

We can use our shorter ranged, less capable planes for targets 1 and 3, staging from Lubango and Menongue respectively. Targets 2, 4 and 5 will require our more capable strike aircraft; target 4 in particular will likely also require refueling en route, and preferably jammer support, as it would be flying over the ocean before ingressing a potentially high-threat environment.

Alongside these targets, we have two explicit air-to-air goals:

1) Cover the defecting Kfirs so they can reach a base in von Hoff's territory.

2) Drive SMARF out of the theater by killing their assets, particularly their AEW&C aircraft.

These will require Meteor-loaded Gripens, as well as Rohan's Rafale if she'll let us borrow it for a mission. Our smaller tanker should also assist, along with our Prowler to provide jamming support.

One potential wrinkle in this is the dictator's new Buks. We don't know where they are, and they can swat anything in our inventory from the sky. Fortunately, they have limitations we can take advantage of once we locate them.

First, they depend on separate air-search radar and the Mark One Eyeball to find their targets. The destruction of the dictator's remaining fixed radar emplacements will eliminate the former, while the latter is ineffective at night.

Second, their fire control radar radiates in a conical shape with the point of the cone located at the radar. To work around this, an attack on a Buk battery should ideally be mounted by three aircraft launching from different vectors, preventing it from targeting all of the attackers at once.

Third, their missiles are semi-active radar homing, and must be steered in by a fire control radar. Each radar should therefore be unable to engage more than a single target at a time. This, particularly when taken in conjunction with the limitations of their FCR, means that a Buk's ability to engage inbound ordnance can be overloaded relatively easily. If launched at roughly the same time and distance but from sufficiently distinct vectors, even a salvo of two bombs per vehicle should see at least one bomb per vehicle get through.
Never mind; looks like I got something fundamentally wrong about how it works, the game doesn't model it to quite that fidelity, or both.

The Sandman fucked around with this message at 05:03 on May 2, 2017

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Yooper posted:

Inspired by Beer4thebeergod, I made another map for you folks. Beer, I worked off your template, thanks!

For those of you with CMANO, there's a planning scenario. It has things you know the location of like staging areas, bridges, power stations, etc, but not all of them. For others there's a Google Map you can do a COPY MAP and draw your own squiggly lines on it.

For those who really want to blow up the Angolan Twinkie Factory or what you perceive as some awesome military objective, just ask. The refinery photo in Added Space's proposal is perfect. I don't know everything, not by a long shot, and any help you guys give me goes a long way to making an exciting mission. I have a general guideline of a plan, but cool ideas lead to cool missions. So go wild!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dwh62ll4bwjdeuz/Angola%204%20Public%20Release.scen?dl=0

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1WpTsgN4ZjD93Kh3EyjavoHjLJQA&usp=sharing

There's an Angolan-owned radar north of Menongue Airport in the scenario that's not there in the map. I'm guessing it's the one that's supposed to be owned by Von Hoff as it looks like it's on the border, but I'm not 100% sure.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat

simplefish posted:

Whatever the plan is, can we have a standing order not to go after enemy aircraft when we're down to just guns?

Tythas posted:

But how else willl GUNS GUNS GUNS get kills?

Yeah! I'm guns only. Cryo and I only fire those aim-120b's because we know they won't hit anything.

And so far, they have not let us down.

Thefluffy posted:

just put gunpods on the air to air missles

This is an acceptable compromise.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
As has been said, hitting a port will hurt Lithium exports. That's going to invite international attention that we seriously don't want.

Tangling with Free State air assets is extremely dicey that far out - I'd frankly rather let them make a run for it until they get into airspace we vaguely control.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
There are still ports and neighboring countries to ship lithium through. It would be a temporary spike in prices. The main effect of hitting the port would be to cut off the flow of weapons to the dictator.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

We are in a Spice Must Flow scenario and loving with the Spice is not a good idea.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Night10194 posted:

We are in a Spice Must Flow scenario and loving with the Spice is not a good idea.
The power to destroy something means you control it.

The padisha emperor will kneel soon enough.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
fly without rhythm and you won't attract the SAM

might stall though

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

WUB!

Night10194 posted:

Spice was a metaphor for oil, not lithium. And note I'm the one explicitly saying not to target the oil.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Ok so, with a bunch of plans involving really weird poo poo and/or trying to piss off literally every other country in the world, here's

Operation Liontamer

which is intended to just take a giant SDB-shaped dump on the armor group so our ground-based allies can advance. Boring but reliable. Or that's the idea anyway.
Now with even more cruise missiles.

Goals:
1: Provide CAP and if possible a tanker for the Kfirs whenever they show up.
2: Take out the two Angolan radars on the border near the front.
3: Pound the crap out of that armor group.
4: Locate and destroy and Buks once the radars are blinded.

This one's a doozy. Hopefully some kind soul is willing to check this for anything impossible. I think I understand the sortieing rules...

Surge ops the whole time, if we can get away with it.

Unless otherwise specified, EMCON rules are silent unless spiked or required to get a firing solution. Flight names are reused when aircraft are reused.

Special
Reassign 2 Phantoms, 2 Gripens, the VC.10, 1 of the Shilka groups and the Pantsir to Menongue Airport. Everybody else stays at Lubango.

Once the Kfirs defect, rearm Centurion with 2x GBU-24+2x AMRAAM and if this finishes in time send them up in phase 4.
Also have our best twitter user among the reserve pilots inform the Bulgarians that we'll accept any surrender on good terms with that as evidence.

If at any point we have cruise missile carriers airborne without otherwise specified targets, they should choose targets from this list:

1. Caimbambo Ammo Depot
  2. Balombo FOB
  3. Any land-based jammers that are in range and that we have the precise location of
  4. Any land-based fixed radars that are in range and that we have the precise location of
  5. Benguela Airport runway(s)
  6. Targets of opportunity

The Tornadoes should not proceed further past the front line than they are already asked to based on other mission profiles to prosecute these targets.

Proceed down the list in that order, two missiles per. If both are intercepted, ignore that target for the remainder of the active flight.

Welcome Mat Flight
Composition: 2x Gripen (4x Meteor, 2x IRIS), 2x Phantom (4x AMRAAM, 4x Sidewinder), 1x VC.10
EMCON: One Gripen's search radar active.
Orders: Sit on the airfield at Ready 15 in case the Kfirs try to defect along that route. Bring a foosball table or two. Prepare to be very bored for most of this op. Once the Kfirs show up, launch the Gripens first, the Phantoms immediately behind and the VC.10 last and hold behind the front line at the Kfirs' ingress point (hopefully they tell us this, if not we're going to have to guess from their heading). Do not cross into Angolan airspace for any reason. Engage any hostiles in support of the Kfirs. If they require refueling, move up the VC.10 once the fighters report that it's clear. Two AMRAAMs per target.
Welcome Mat may be sortied during Phase 4 if doing so would be beneficial.

Centurion Flight
Composition: 4x Phantom (4x AMRAAM, 4x Sidewinder)
EMCON: One Phantom's search radar active if the S100B is not active at the time.
Orders: Sit on the airfield at Ready 15 unless A: the Kfirs attempt to defect along the west coast; B: hostile air targets are spotted and Guardian flight is not available; or C: hostile air targets number more than 200% of Guardian flight's remaining Meteor count. If Centurion is summoned due to Kfirs and another op is in progress or about to begin, Centurion may remain airborne to provide CAP. Two AMRAAMs per target. Once the Kfir defection has completed, swap Centurion flight to GBU-24s.

Phase 1 (0700)

Step 1: Blast the crap out of those two radars along the border. Guardian launches first and lands last.

Guardian Flight
Composition: 2x Gripen (4x Meteor, 2x IRIS)
Orders: Patrol the border. Border may be crossed to protect friendly air assets, but do not remain in hostile airspace once targets are neutralized.

Rooster Flight
Composition: 2x Tornado (2x Taurus KEDP), 2x Tornado IDS (2x Storm Shadow), 1x EA-6B Prowler (5x AN/ALQ-99I)
EMCON: Prowler jammers on.
Orders: Take off and once at launch altitude fire one Taurus each at the two radars next to the armor group. The Prowler's here to ensure we get a fix on them. If somehow the radars survive, do the same again with one Storm Shadow each from the Saudi Tornadoes. The idea behind the weird cross-targetting is that if a Buk TELAR or a Tunguska or something is in the way it'll slightly increase our odds that one gets through. If the opening Taurus salvo destroys both radars, fire Storm Shadows at targets of opportunity as above.

Phase 2 (1000)

Blow up every drat ground target we can find. Launch Seeker early, then Guardian, then Overseer, then Sledge, then Dagger. Try to get the drones home before both the tanker runs out of gas for Guardian. Split Guardian into two flights to stagger refueling if necessary.

Guardian Flight
EMCON: No special instructions.
Orders: Patrol the border. Border may be crossed to protect friendly air assets, but do not remain in hostile airspace once targets are neutralized.

Seeker Flight
Composition: 1x Sperwer, 1x MQ-9
Orders: Overfly the armor group. Sperwer goes in front. Hold back whenever targets are spotted.

Rooster Flight
Composition: 1x EA-6B Prowler (5x AN/ALQ-99I)
EMCON: Jammers on if AA or incoming missiles are spotted.
Orders: Follow Sledge and/or Dagger around. Jam things.

Sledge Flight
Composition: 4x Gripen (8x SDB, 2x IRIS, 1x Litening, 1x Drop Tank)
Orders: Follow Seeker's lead. Four SDBs into each target spotted. Prioritize any AA if it can be identified.

Dagger Flight
Composition: 1x Hawk (2x Maverick, 2x Sidewinder), 1x Su-25 (2x KAB-1500Kr, 2x R-60; Quick Turnaround), 2x A-11 (2x GBU-32, 2x Sidewinder), 2x Mirage F.1CR (2x AS.30L, 2x R.550), 5x SK60 (Rockets; Quick Turnaround)
Orders: Wait on ground.
- Once Sledge Winchesters, send up everybody but the SK60s
- Once Dagger Winchesters and the Frogfoot reloads, send up the Frogfoot and the SK60s
- If time and fuel permits, the Frogfoot may launch a third time and take the SK60s a second time.

Overseer Flight
Composition: 1x S-100B, 1x KC-135.
EMCON: Argus all on
Orders: Hold position south of Lubango. Lazily fly in circles. Provide gas to Guardian if necessary.

Phase 3 (1800)

More cruise missiles, more SDBs. If hostile aircraft are spotted and no CAP cover is available RTB immediately. Be willing to launch Centurion if necessary and available. Send up Rooster, then Seeker, then Sledge.

Rooster Flight
Composition: 2x Tornado (2x Taurus KEDP), 2x Tornado IDS (2x Storm Shadow)
Orders: Take off and once at launch altitude prosecute targets described above. RTB once empty.

Seeker Flight
Composition: 1x MQ-9
Orders: Overfly the armor group. Hold back whenever targets are spotted.

Sledge Flight
Orders: Follow Seeker's lead. Four SDBs into each target spotted. Prioritize any AA if it can be identified.

Optional (see special section above):
Centurion Flight
Composition: 4x Phantom (2x GBU-24 2x AMRAAM)
Orders: If available by this time (unlikely), join the party and go flatten things.

Phase 4 (0200)

Seek and destroy whatever's left with that unholy Gorgon Stare thing leading the way. Split Guardian into two flights to stagger refueling if necessary.

Guardian Flight

Seeker Flight

Rooster Flight
Composition: 2x Tornado (2x Taurus), 2x Tornado (9x Brimstone, FLIR pod), 1x EA-6B Prowler (3x AN/ALQ-99I, 2x drop tank)
Orders: 3 Brimstones per target. If targets are stationary, let Sledge prosecute - the Brimstones are for moving targets. If available fuel indicates locating any (additional) SAMs is unlikely before having to fall back, engage targets of opportunity.
- If both the radars were destroyed: Under the cover of night, let the Reaper with Gorgon Stare wander around the armor group. If anybody spots a mobile Buk, go murder it to death. Two missiles per target. Do not enter the coverage of any remaining search radars that the S-100 or Prowler can spot.
- If not: Same general orders, but hang back and stick to blowing up armor instead.

Sledge Flight

Optional (see special section above):
Centurion Flight
Composition: 4x Phantom (2x GBU-24 2x AMRAAM)
Orders: If available by this time (likely since we believe the Kfirs will defect during the day), join the party and go flatten things.

Overseer Flight
Orders: Hold position south of Lubango. Lazily fly in circles. Provide gas to Guardian if necessary.

----
Notes:

Pretty much everything in Dagger is useless at night. Weirdly enough our Gripens can only mount EO Mavericks, not the IR ones - but the Hawks (damnit, Nails, why'd you have to go and die) and the Tornado IDSes can take the IR ones. But Brimstones are insane so let's use those instead. For a bonus, frogfeet can quick turnaround (and they're really good at it), but nothing else in that group can... except the SK60s. Welp.
I think with Sledge doing quick turnaround earlier in the day they don't get to be available again for the night raid but if I'm wrong someone please correct me.
Also, if the Kfirs defect along the west (which I honestly think is fairly unlikely due to the distances involved) they might not have a tanker to receive them when they get there. Not really sure what to do about that.
SK60s added by popular demand. If you guys all die, blame Bac.

power crystals fucked around with this message at 01:07 on May 4, 2017

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
^^^^ I like this line of thinking. We're mercenaries, not the Kwisatz Haderach, and loving with the export infrastructure will get us a sharp reminder of that.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009
It looks like either way the Kfirs could be coming, they should be heading toward Menongue. I like the rest of Liontamer, but maybe base Team Special out of Menongue instead of Cassamba. This will keep them fairly close in case something really goes in the pot and we need more A2A missiles for something.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Yooper posted:

Inspired by Beer4thebeergod, I made another map for you folks. Beer, I worked off your template, thanks!

For those of you with CMANO, there's a planning scenario. It has things you know the location of like staging areas, bridges, power stations, etc, but not all of them. For others there's a Google Map you can do a COPY MAP and draw your own squiggly lines on it.

For those who really want to blow up the Angolan Twinkie Factory or what you perceive as some awesome military objective, just ask. The refinery photo in Added Space's proposal is perfect. I don't know everything, not by a long shot, and any help you guys give me goes a long way to making an exciting mission. I have a general guideline of a plan, but cool ideas lead to cool missions. So go wild!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dwh62ll4bwjdeuz/Angola%204%20Public%20Release.scen?dl=0

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1WpTsgN4ZjD93Kh3EyjavoHjLJQA&usp=sharing

I love that you kept the Demolition Man line in the description.

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
Highly recommend not hitting civilian or economic infastructure. The last thing we need is a superpower with power projection capabilites getting pissed because their citizens have to pay :10bux: more for their iPhone 17s.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

WUB!
See, fun part is? They're going to end up paying more anyway. Unless you think the dictator will let us use Luanda to ship out lithium from the mines we control?

Geography makes it nigh-inevitable that we're going to take most or all of the lithium mines before we take Luanda. Since lithium shipments are going to be unable to use that port eventually, we might as well arrange for that to happen when it can also make it harder for the dictator to bring In new equipment.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I just realized that I've completely misunderstood which location is the capital this whole time. :cripes:

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Operation Liontamer is a solid plan people and we should look at doing it.

I might recommend shifting the Hawk and the SU60 over east with the special group. Thy can stay behind and run small CAS ops for the Rangers out east to help with their advance, those kind of low intensity support missions are pretty much what they were designed to do optimally.

Seriously people, we don;t need to get crazy here, we were hired to pound sand, clear paths and blow up planes. We don't need a nine point strategy to bomb the button factory to disrupt the Dictators silk shirt profits. Lets just do what we do best, keep the skies clear, and blow up tanks.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

WUB!

paragon1 posted:

We don't have to worry about the flow of weapons to the dictator if we blow up the goddamned dictator. The capital is closer than the port and isn't full of valuable poo poo that needs to operate to keep the rest of the world happy.

The port is in the capital, and the dictator is a lunatic who we don't want to risk replacing with someone competent.

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Seriously people, we don;t need to get crazy here, we were hired to pound sand, clear paths and blow up planes. We don't need a nine point strategy to bomb the button factory to disrupt the Dictators silk shirt profits. Lets just do what we do best, keep the skies clear, and blow up tanks.
We were hired to run the Count's air war, and we're planning on giving him a substantial improvement to his ground forces. I think at least some planning on how to win the war is called for. Or at least some planning on how to keep dos Santos from buying something nastier than the Buks with his piles of dosh.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?
edit final: oh, a second sensible plan that doesn't involve us being buried under a Supercarrier taskforce, and with emphasis on airport supression just like I wanted, gonna sleep on this!

edit: also Lithium is used in medication. Usually not the "immediately life saving" but still.

edit2: oh China also probably has their... what is it really, an Escort Carrier? Whatever that little thing is, it probably has its own systems properly installed and launched by the ingame year.

Groggy nard fucked around with this message at 07:25 on May 2, 2017

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Jimmy4400nav posted:

We're an air force with the ability to dictate to the ground forces. Of course people are theorycrafting like mad !

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Operation Liontamer is a solid plan people and we should look at doing it.

I might recommend shifting the Hawk and the SU60 over east with the special group. Thy can stay behind and run small CAS ops for the Rangers out east to help with their advance, those kind of low intensity support missions are pretty much what they were designed to do optimally.

You need to have some sort of concept of operations for what you're trying to do. Blowing up forces on the coast to allow an incremental advance to the capital is a fine concept, but just be aware of what the concept is. And if that IS the concept why do you want to attack in the east at all?

Attacking in the east shorterns the dictactors front line and enables him to divert more forces to defend elsewhere.

If we're attacking along the coast we do not want to attack in the east at all beyond light probes.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

You need to have some sort of concept of operations for what you're trying to do. Blowing up forces on the coast to allow an incremental advance to the capital is a fine concept, but just be aware of what the concept is. And if that IS the concept why do you want to attack in the east at all?

Attacking in the east shorterns the dictactors front line and enables him to divert more forces to defend elsewhere.

If we're attacking along the coast we do not want to attack in the east at all beyond light probes.

Given the gains that the Count's Rangers made, it would appear that the Dictator's forces have left light forces in the East. The front lines have already pulled back to at least Kuito. The East could use air support, and the air over the West has gotten a little bit risky for the SKs, Hawk, and Frogfoot, so we could probably send them to support operations there. We could use this day long period to ferry them over and a flight or two to establish them while the Gripen/Phantom group shepherds the Kfirs when that happens.

That said, Liontamer is the closest to what I'd come up with (and I've posted what adjustments I would make to it) so it gets my vote. We don't need to go all the way North to get stuck in, and the Dictator has shown he's more than happy to send his air force down to us to die. The port will be there when we're done with the Bulgarians.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
While I appreciate the sentiment offered by Operation Liontamer, I feel that it doesn't quite go far enough in engaging military assets. Hopefully my operation will assist with that! Please provide criticism or whether I need to tighten the timings of things.

OPERATION GOLGOTHA

Special EMCON rules: All elements Passive EXCEPT S-100B UNTIL Kfirs defect--Gripens tasked with escorting Kfirs may go radar active at that time.

SUBOPERATION DISMAS
Objectives:
D1) Refuel and escort the defecting Kfirs
Rationale: This saves the defectors, it saves Jack's head, and it saves us rep and cash.
DX2) Suppress OPFOR detection and response (Luena Airport runway) as possible
Rationale: A subset of Obj. D1. They can't shoot what they can't track.
DX3) Bounce or destroy F-2As
Rationale: Probably the biggest known air-to-air threat on the table. Jack has told us that they will be flying here.

Deployment:
2x AMX
2x Gripens
1x VC10K4
to CASSAMBA Airbase

Execution:
LONGINUS: 2x AMX, JDAMs
Suppress radars as targets permit. IF A FORMATION IS DETECTED ON FLIR WITH 3 SUBUNITS ON OR NEAR THE MAIN HIGHWAY, MAINTAIN 30 NM SAFE DISTANCE.

MAGDALENE: 2x Gripens, Max Meteor
Remain Alert 1 UNTIL Kfirs defect, then cross and escort as needed

AGATHON: VC10K4
Remain Alert 1 UNTIL Kfirs defect, then launch and refuel as needed. Do not cross the border ahead of MAGDALENE.

SUBOPERATION GESTAS
Objectives:
G1) Destroy as many search radars as possible
Rationale: Any active search radar could tip off the SA-11s of incoming attackers. By destroying as many of them as possible, we force them to radiate and give away their positions, opening them up to attack.
G2) Destroy any SA-11 batteries
Rationale: obvious; this protects both ourselves and the incoming Kfirs
G3) Destroy the Bulgarian armored group
Rationale: This protects our northern flank and removes a threat that the Dictator could use against us. No more Astros 2s!
G4) Destroy military targets of opportunity in and around the southwestern area
Rationale: The more damage we can inflict here, the better our chances in future operations. And maybe we can force the Dictator to deploy his remaining air assets southwest!
GX5) Suppress Benguela, Albano Machado, Kuito, and Luena Airbases
Rationale: The fewer Dictator aircraft that can get off the ground, the better
GX6) Destroy Defense Ministry HQ/Angolan Army HQ in night attack
Rationale: Destroying central C&C network node may help further operations. This will be the last action of the operation.

Deployment:
All remaining aircraft
to LUBANGO Airport

Flight restrictions:
Do not fly below 15k feet unless in a sanitized area.

DEMI-FIEND: S-100B, AEW
Launch and provide air search and ELINT as possible. Do not cross the border.

HARLOT: Sperwer, Reaper, Gorgon Stare
Provide recon of Bulgarian armor and potential SA-11 sites. DO NOT APPROACH WITHIN 30 NM OF ANY FORMATION WITH THREE SUBELEMENTS!

WHITE RIDER: 2x Standard Tornado, Taurus
Fire at Mussende Radar Station on an northeasternly course. If radar is destroyed, rearm and fire on Luena Airport runway, Kuito Airport runway or Albano Machado airport runway (in that order). If all are suppressed, rearm with HARMs and join HELL RIDER with SAM hunting.

RED WAR: 2x SAUDI Tornado, ALARMs
Fire on the two closest radar stations. When both are destroyed, rearm with Storm Shadow and fire on Benguela Airport runway, Kuito Airport runway or Albano Machado airport runway (in that order). If all are suppressed, rearm with ALARMs and join HELL RIDER with SAM hunting.

HELL RIDER: 2x Gripens, SDBs
Search and destroy SA-11 batteries (note: Formations of three are possible SA-11 candidates! Watch for emissions and check the main highways!)

PALE DEATH: 2x2 Gripens, Max Meteors
Provide CAP as needed. Do not cross border UNTIL Kfirs defect

BLACK RIDER: 6x Phantoms, GBU-34 Paveway 2000lb bombs
Attack heavily armored Bulgarian targets, Tunguskas, AAA and other targets of opportunity after HELL RIDER has swept them. If targeting permits, engage Albano Machado airport runway.

TRUMPETER: All remaining aircraft (1x Hawk, Mavericks, 1x Su-25, KAB-1500s, 2x Mirage F.1CR, AS.30L, 5x SK 60Bs, rockets)
Engage Bulgarian targets as viable. Shift to other targets of opportunity as viable. REMAIN 30 NM FROM UNKNOWN ENEMY GROUND FORMATIONS OF THREE ON OR NEAR MAIN HIGHWAY.

MATADOR: EA-6B Prowler, HARM
Support operations as viable. Do not cross border UNTIL Kfirs defect, then free to cross border as needed to support Kfirs.

DAISOUJOU: KC135, Tanker
Refuel as needed. Be prepared to move towards Menongue if Kfirs must land there.

At ~0100 the next day, stand down WHITE RIDER and RED WAR, rearm with relevant cruise missiles. Reform as
KAGATSUCHI: 2x Tornadoes, Taurus, 2x Saudi Tornadoes, 2x Storm Shadows
Fire on Defense Ministry HQ/Angolan Army HQ. If overland hole, fire in that direction. If no overland hole, proceed over water to launch location, target BELA RADAR SITE and DEFENSE MINISTRY HQ/ANGOLAN ARMY HQ. If strike on Luanda is flat out not viable, alternate targets are CAIMBAMBO DEPOT, BALOMBO FOB.

----
Anyway, how does it look?

Davin Valkri fucked around with this message at 06:48 on May 7, 2017

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

Davin Valkri posted:

OPERATION GOLGOTHA

Removing my previous vote to sleep on this, I love love LOVE the Radar destruction and airport suppression here but I need some time to cogitate on it.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"
I like the general thrust of this plan. It's simple and doesn't force us to do anything very daring or over-complicated.

I think we should consider making some long-range cruise missile attacks later in the day with the Tornadoes. There are three western targets to consider: 1) Caimbambo Ammo Depot, 2) Benguela Airport, and 3) Balombo FOB. Taking our these bases would crush the logistical backbone of the Angolans in the west and make it much easier for Von Hoff to advance.

A few notes and questions! :hist101:

power crystals posted:

Operation Liontamer, which is intended to just take a giant SDB-shaped dump on the armor group so our ground-based allies can advance. Boring but reliable. Or that's the idea anyway.

Goals:
1: Provide CAP and if possible a tanker for the Kfirs whenever they show up.
2: Take out the two Angolan radars on the border near the front.
3: Pound the crap out of that armor group.
4: Locate and destroy and Buks once the radars are blinded.

Special
Reassign 2 Phantoms, 2 Gripens, the VC.10, 1 of the Shilka groups and the Pantsir to Cassamba Airport. Everybody else stays at Lubango.

Once the Kfirs defect, have our best twitter user among the reserve pilots inform the Bulgarians that we'll accept any surrender on good terms with that as evidence.

Welcome Mat Flight (Cassamba Airport)
Composition: 2x Gripen (4x Meteor, 2x IRIS), 2x Phantom (4x AMRAAM, 4x Sidewinder), 1x VC.10
Orders: Sit on the airfield at Ready 15 in case the Kfirs try to defect along that route. Bring a foosball table or two. Prepare to be very bored for most of this op. Once the Kfirs show up, if they're coming your way, launch the Gripens first and the Phantoms immediately behind and hold behind the border. Do not cross into Angolan airspace for any reason. Engage any hostiles in support of the Kfirs. If they require refueling, send up the VC.10 once the fighters report that it's clear.

Centurion Flight (Lubango)
Composition: 4x Phantom (4x AMRAAM, 4x Sidewinder)
EMCON: One Phantom's search radar active if the S100B is not active at the time.
Orders: Sit on the airfield at Ready 15 unless A: the Kfirs attempt to defect along the west coast; B: hostile air targets are spotted and Guardian flight is not available; or C: hostile air targets number more than 200% of Guardian flight's remaining Meteor count.

I'm unsure why six Phantoms, two Gripens and the VC10 have been tasked to essentially sit around and wait for something to happen. I agree we need to have an Alert 15 force ready, but that's nearly a third of our strike fighters doing nothing for most of the mission. Could we trim two to four Phantoms?

power crystals posted:

Phase 1 (0700)

Step 1: Blast the crap out of those two radars along the border. Guardian launches first and lands last.

Guardian Flight
Orders: Patrol the border. Do not cross the border under any circumstances.

Rooster Flight
Composition: 2x Tornado (2x Taurus KEDP), 2x Tornado IDS (2x Storm Shadow), 1x EA-6B Prowler (5x AN/ALQ-99I)
Orders: Take off and once at launch altitude fire one Taurus each at the two radars next to the armor group. The Prowler's here to ensure we get a fix on them. If somehow the radars survive, do the same again with one Storm Shadow each from the Saudi Tornadoes. The idea behind the weird cross-targetting is that if a Buk TELAR or a Tunguska or something is in the way it'll slightly increase our odds that one gets through. If the opening Taurus salvo destroys both radars, fire Storm Shadows at targets of opportunity, preferring AA. If no targets present themselves, RTB with the Storm Shadows still loaded.

I like this. What altitude will they be flying at?

Would it be helpful to send the Reaper up to help spot targets? It has great endurance and can fly for most of the day even if it launches early in the morning.

power crystals posted:

Phase 2 (1000)

Blow up every drat ground target we can find. Launch Seeker early, then Guardian, then Overseer, then Sledge, then Sledge again, then Dagger. Try to get the drones home before both the tanker runs out of gas for Guardian. Split Guardian into two flights to stagger refueling if necessary.

Guardian Flight
Orders: Cross the border only to protect other assets if hostiles are spotted.

Seeker Flight
Composition: 1x Sperwer, 1x MQ-9
Orders: Overfly the armor group. Sperwer goes in front. Hold back whenever targets are spotted.

Rooster Flight
Composition: 1x EA-6B Prowler (5x AN/ALQ-99I)
EMCON: Jammers on if AA or incoming missiles are spotted.
Orders: Follow Sledge and/or Dagger around. Jam things.

Sledge Flight
Composition: 4x Gripen (8x SDB, 2x IRIS, 1x Litening, 1x Drop Tank) set for Quick Turnaround.
Orders: Follow Seeker's lead. Four SDBs into each target spotted. Prioritize any AA if it can be identified. On Winchester, Quick Turnaround rearm and do it again.

Dagger Flight
Composition: 1x Hawk (2x Maverick, 2x Sidewinder), 1x Su-25 (2x KAB-1500Kr, 2x R-60), 2x AMX A-11 (2x GBU-32, 2x Sidewinder), 2x Mirage F.1CR (2x AS.30L, 2x R.550)
Orders: Wait on ground. Once Sledge Winchesters twice, if the various aircraft involved report no hostile air and no or minimal AA targets, head up and engage targets of opportunity.

Overseer Flight

Where is this flight focusing on? Are we trying to facilitate a Western breakout? Are we mopping up the Bulgarians? Both?

I appreciate the concern for Dagger Flight, but the 'wait until Winchester twice' order is going to leave them dormant for a very long time.

I think it might be best to attach 2-4 Phantoms here -- having the extra ordnance will be a big bonus.

Any reason for the KAB-1500s over the KAB-500s? I get theye have more firepower, but we've had reliability uses with Russian weapons and I'm concerned we could end up with 25-50% of the Frogfoot's ordnance ending up as duds if they only carry four bombs per flight.

Also, why not bring along the four GBU-12 loadout on the Mirages? Much more firepower that way. The Reaper, the Gripens (and the Phantoms if we bring them) will be able to buddy-lase for them.

power crystals posted:

Phase 3 (2300)

Seek and destroy whatever's left with that unholy Gorgon Stare thing leading the way. Split Guardian into two flights to stagger refueling if necessary.

Guardian Flight
Orders: Cross the border only to protect other assets if hostiles are spotted.

Seeker Flight

Rooster Flight
Composition: 2x Tornado (Buddy Stores), 2x Tornado IDS (12x Brimstone), 1x EA-6B Prowler (5x AN/ALQ-99I)
Orders: Only other members of Rooster may use the buddy stores.
- If both the radars were destroyed: Under the cover of night, let the Reaper with Gorgon Stare wander around the armor group. If anybody spots a Buk, go murder it to death. If time on target indicates locating any (additional) SAMs is unlikely before having to fall back, engage targets of opportunity. Two missiles per target. Do not enter the coverage of any remaining search radars that the S-100 or Prowler can spot.
- If not: Same general orders, but hang back and stick to blowing up armor instead.

Overseer Flight

The idea of buddy-tanking with the Tornadoes is interesting, but it takes 50% of our long-range strike capability out of the fight. Why not send up the VC10 to do the tanking work? That way, it'll also be airborne to help cover a late-breaking Kfir escape. Or just leave the tanking to the KC-135?

That'd free up more Tornadoes to carry Paveways or anti-tank cluster bombs. Better yet, we could fire Tauruses at late-appearing SA-11s or at military targets (there are multiple FOBs and military bases in range). There's also the anti-runway Taurus to hit airfields.

power crystals posted:

Notes:
Pretty much everything in Dagger is useless at night. Weirdly enough our Gripens can only mount EO Mavericks, not the IR ones - but the Hawks (damnit, Nails, why'd you have to go and die) and the Tornado IDSes can take the IR ones. But Brimstones are insane so let's use those instead.
I think with Sledge doing quick turnaround earlier in the day they don't get to be available again for the night raid but if I'm wrong someone please correct me.
Also, if the Kfirs defect along the west (which I honestly think is fairly unlikely due to the distances involved) they might not have a tanker to receive them when they get there. Not really sure what to do about that.
PS sorry SK60 guys but I figured you'd appreciate not being ordered into what's probably a suicide mission given what our enemies have.

If the Sledge Gripens use Surge Operations throughout the day, we'd be able to get more sorties out of them than we would with Quick Turnaround. Might be worth considering.

If Yooper guns the tanker at max speed and heads for a pre-set refueling point in the west, then it should make it to the Kfirs right as they start hitting 10-15% fuel -- depending on how aggressively we use the afterburners.

I think we might as well sortie the Sk 60s. They can go after those Bulgarian FOBs and be an extra set of eyes in the sky. We've proved they can kill facilities pretty well.

Bacarruda fucked around with this message at 08:56 on May 2, 2017

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
A quick heads up for those planning to strike the armour, Yooper said they were heavily camouflaged, they are also likely a lot more spread out as they are on the defense instead of attacking a single point and are guarded by extensive Tunguska AA defenses in addition to any possible Gadfly AA defenses. You may need to consider the potential extra difficulty of having to spot them and attack them while they are spread out. Also if anyone plans to attack the Bulgarians at night the rate of detection will probably be lower?

Of course plenty of the above could be wrong as I am mostly going by assumptions.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"

koolkevz666 posted:

A quick heads up for those planning to strike the armour, Yooper said they were heavily camouflaged, they are also likely a lot more spread out as they are on the defense instead of attacking a single point and are guarded by extensive Tunguska AA defenses in addition to any possible Gadfly AA defenses. You may need to consider the potential extra difficulty of having to spot them and attack them while they are spread out. Also if anyone plans to attack the Bulgarians at night the rate of detection will probably be lower?

Of course plenty of the above could be wrong as I am mostly going by assumptions.

That's a good reason to sortie the Phantoms on a ground strike. They can carry the LANTIRN targeting pods, which have an excellent FLIR camera that can spot targets, day or night.

Unlike the Gripens who are going to be launching GPS-guided SDBs at range, the Phantoms will have to get within 8 nautical miles to drop their 2,000 pound GBU-24 Pawaveys (the older GBU-10s have a shorter range, so we shouldn't use them). This may seem like a problem. It isn't.

The Phantoms will be safe as long as they stay at 25,000-30,000 feet AGL, which is comfortably out of the Tunguska's engagement envelope. But unlike the Gripens, they'll be close enough to start FLIR contacts with their targeting pods. They can pass along the good word to our other strikers (Gripens, etc.) so they can engage. Their Paveways also let them kill Tunguskas from altitude with impunity.

Also, one half of the Gorgon Stare system is an IR camera pod, so they can see camouflaged targets quite well. The Sperwer also has IR cameras.

Davin Valkri posted:

While I appreciate the sentiment offered by Operation Liontamer, I feel that it doesn't quite go far enough in engaging military assets. Hopefully my operation will assist with that! Please provide criticism or whether I need to tighten the timings of things.

OPERATION GOLGOTHA

Special EMCON rules: All elements Passive EXCEPT S-100B UNTIL Kfirs defect--Gripens tasked with escorting Kfirs may go radar active at that time.

SUBOPERATION DISMAS
Objectives:
D1) Refuel and escort the defecting Kfirs
Rationale: This saves the defectors, it saves Jack's head, and it saves us rep and cash.
DX2) Suppress OPFOR detection and response as possible
Rationale: A subset of Obj. D1. They can't shoot what they can't track.
DX3) Bounce or destroy F-2As
Rationale: Probably the biggest known air-to-air threat on the table. Jack has told us that they will be flying here.

Deployment:
2x Standard Tornadoes
4x Gripens
1x VC10K4
to CASSAMBA Airbase

Execution:
LONGINUS: 2x Tornadoes, HARMs/Taurus
Suppress radars as targets permit. If a SA-11 battery shows, fire all missiles at it and RTB. IF NO ACTIVE RADARS REMAIN AFTER FIRST PASS, rearm with Taurus and fire on Luena Airport runway.

NICODIMUS: 2x Gripens, Standard Meteor
Provide CAP as needed. Remain on friendly side of border UNTIL Kfirs defect; then cross and bounce air targets

MAGDALENE: 2x Gripens, Standard Meteor
Remain Alert 1 UNTIL Kfirs defect, then cross and escort as needed

AGATHON: VC10K4
Remain Alert 1 UNTIL Kfirs defect, then launch and refuel as needed. Do not cross the border ahead of MAGDALENE.

I'm unsure about leaving four Gripens on duty for this operation. It greatly diminishes our other CAP and our ability to deliver SDBs.

Similar concerns about the Tornadoes. By the time we spot a SAM site, get the Tornadoes into position, fire the Tauruses and have them land, that SAM will have already bagged the Kfir flight. We're better off tasking the Tornadoes with other SEAD or deep strike tasks with the main element.

Davin Valkri posted:

SUBOPERATION GESTAS
Objectives:
G1) Destroy as many search radars as possible
Rationale: Any active search radar could tip off the SA-11s of incoming attackers. By destroying as many of them as possible, we force them to radiate and give away their positions, opening them up to attack.
G2) Destroy any SA-11 batteries
Rationale: obvious; this protects both ourselves and the incoming Kfirs
G3) Destroy the Bulgarian armored group
Rationale: This protects our northern flank and removes a threat that the Dictator could use against us. No more Astros 2s!
G4) Destroy military targets of opportunity in and around the southwestern area
Rationale: The more damage we can inflict here, the better our chances in future operations. And maybe we can force the Dictator to deploy his remaining air assets southwest!
GX5) Suppress Albano Machado and Kuito Airbases
Rationale: The fewer Dictator aircraft that can get off the ground, the better

Deployment:
All remaining aircraft
to LUBANGO Airport

METATRON: S-100B, AEW
Launch and provide air search and ELINT as possible. Do not cross the border.

GABRIEL: Sperwer, Reaper, Gorgon Stare
Provide recon of Bulgarian armor and potential SA-11 sites. DO NOT APPROACH WITHIN 30 NM OF ANY FORMATION WITH THREE SUBELEMENTS!

URIEL: 1x Tornado, Storm Shadow
Fire at Mussende Radar Station on an northeasternly course. If radar is destroyed, rearm and fire on Kuito Airport runway or Albano Machado airport runway. If both are suppressed, rearm with ALARMs and join CAMAEL with SAM hunting.

RAPHAEL: 1x Tornado, ALARMs
Fire on the two closest radar stations. When both are destroyed, rearm with Taurus and fire on Kuito Airport runway or Albano Machado airport runway. If both are suppressed, rearm with ALARMs and join CAMAEL with SAM hunting.

CAMAEL: 2x Gripens, SDBs
Search and destroy SA-11 batteries (note: Formations of three are possible SA-11 candidates! Watch for emissions!)

JOPHIEL: 2x Gripens, Standard Meteors
Provide CAP as needed. Do not cross border UNTIL Kfirs defect

MICHAEL: 6x Phantoms, GBU-34 Paveway 2000lb bombs
Attack heavily armored Bulgarian targets and other targets of opportunity after CAMAEL has swept them. If targeting permits, engage Albano Machado airport runway.

ABBADON: All remaining aircraft (1x Hawk, Mavericks, 1x Su-25, KAB-1500s, 2x A-11, GBU-32, 2x Mirage F.1CR, AS.30L
Engage Bulgarian targets as viable.

SEALTIEL: EA-6B Prowler, HARM
Support operations as viable. Do not cross border UNTIL Kfirs defect, then free to cross border as needed to support Kfirs

BARACHIEL: KC135, Tanker
Refuel as needed. Be prepared to move towards Menongue if Kfirs must land there.

I do quite like the ground attack part of the plan. Great ground attack punch.

I'd suggest adding the other two Tornaodes to this as well. Two with on SEAD duty, two on deep strike duty. It'd be worth targeting the jammers the Dictator has with some cruise missiles.

Two Gripens with only two Meteors each is a very weak CAP. I'd up the Meteor loadout to four each and add 2-4 more fighters to our CAP.

Any reason for giving the Mirages the AS.30L missiles over the GBU-12s? They can carry a lot more boom if they bring those Paveways.

You'll want to specify EMCON and altitude rules to keep aircraft safe from SAMs.

Davin Valkri posted:

...okay, I need a new naming scheme for GESTAS flights. Anyway, how does it look?

Can't go wrong with Robin Olds' old naming scheme. Ford, Olds, Rambler, Dodge, Chevy, Lincoln, Edsel, etc.

Bacarruda fucked around with this message at 08:44 on May 2, 2017

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I think I've found an exclusive footage of Rohan engaging that swarm of fighters, right before Silent Bob got Alamo'd:

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
About Rohan will she have recovered enough from the death of Silent Bob to take part in this mission or will she still be recovering at her airfield?

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

koolkevz666 posted:

About Rohan will she have recovered enough from the death of Silent Bob to take part in this mission or will she still be recovering at her airfield?

Rohan will not be available during the next mission. She is behind enemy lines searching for what remains of Silent Bob. Something about an aerial viking funeral.

Some awesome looking plans. Keep em coming! I know there's a lot going on so I'm not going to call the vote for a bit.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

There's the news from idiot land. Jack has gone silent. Not sure what he has going with karaoke and sake.

Von Hoff gave me an update on the state of the nation and it's looking damned good. Morale is at an all time high. Even our foot soldiers, who have taken the brunt of it, are doing damned good. They're proud to be the ones to bring Angola back. The Count has expressed interest in our older jets once the war is done. Angola needs a new air force, along with the professionals to staff it. A training stipend for us, maybe?

We have reports of defections, not from Angolan troops, but people who have fled the Free State, crossed Angolan Government lines, and surrendered to our forces. It seems the Free States ground troops are woefully unprepared and led by a bunch of people who use Strawpoll.com to decide on military objectives. Warlock expressed curiosity as to where the money is going, those ground troops should be flush with cash.

Once I hear more from the debriefs I'll let you guys know. I have a feeling if it weren't for us knocking the Dictators jets out of the sky that the Free State would already be done for. On the plus side they're diverting ground troops that would be holding Von Hoff up.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Thanks for the feedback! I will make any mentioned adjustments after work.

Coffeehitler posted:

It looks like either way the Kfirs could be coming, they should be heading toward Menongue. I like the rest of Liontamer, but maybe base Team Special out of Menongue instead of Cassamba. This will keep them fairly close in case something really goes in the pot and we need more A2A missiles for something.
That's not a bad idea. I'll have to review the Kfir's effective range at some point and see how screwed they are depending on where they launch from. Hopefully we can have them immediately either expend or jettison their munitions to help.

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Hawk the missile battery or Hawk the plane? I assume you mean plane. And SK60s, not SU60s, right? My issue regardless is that we have nothing there to spot targets or, more importantly, SAMs. They'd be very likely to just immediately die.

Bacarruda posted:

I like the general thrust of this plan. It's simple and doesn't force us to do anything very daring or over-complicated.

I think we should consider making some long-range cruise missile attacks later in the day with the Tornadoes. There are three western targets to consider: 1) Caimbambo Ammo Depot, 2) Benguela Airport, and 3) Balombo FOB. Taking our these bases would crush the logistical backbone of the Angolans in the west and make it much easier for Von Hoff to advance.
I'll double-check the timings and if this works (knowing you, it probably does) I'll throw in a salvo onto the ammo depot.

Bacarruda posted:

I'm unsure why six Phantoms, two Gripens and the VC10 have been tasked to essentially sit around and wait for something to happen. I agree we need to have an Alert 15 force ready, but that's nearly a third of our strike fighters doing nothing for most of the mission. Could we trim two to four Phantoms?
This is the "play it safe" plan. If we get ultra-unlucky, the Kfirs defect the instant our CAP Gripens land and they're screwed. This is part of why I was never super thrilled about trying to steal those as it was.

Bacarruda posted:

I like this. What altitude will they be flying at?

Would it be helpful to send the Reaper up to help spot targets? It has great endurance and can fly for most of the day even if it launches early in the morning.

I honestly have no idea what the appropriate cruise missile launch altitude is, so whatever the Tornadoes want. I don't think we need the Reaper to locate and fire on fixed targets; I may change that to fire on one of the 3 targets you specified above if they have leftover ammo.

Bacarruda posted:

Where is this flight focusing on? Are we trying to facilitate a Western breakout? Are we mopping up the Bulgarians? Both?

I appreciate the concern for Dagger Flight, but the 'wait until Winchester twice' order is going to leave them dormant for a very long time.

I think it might be best to attach 2-4 Phantoms here -- having the extra ordnance will be a big bonus.

Any reason for the KAB-1500s over the KAB-500s? I get theye have more firepower, but we've had reliability uses with Russian weapons and I'm concerned we could end up with 25-50% of the Frogfoot's ordnance ending up as duds if they only carry four bombs per flight.

Also, why not bring along the four GBU-12 loadout on the Mirages? Much more firepower that way. The Reaper, the Gripens (and the Phantoms if we bring them) will be able to buddy-lase for them.
Both, really.

Dagger's probably only getting one sortie so I don't care if they sit around doing nothing. We might be able to send up with Sledge 2 and just tell them to not go in first, though. The 1500s are because I want that thing to not hang around, so it can just fire both and go home. Likewise, the AS.30Ls have a longer range. We just bought those things, I don't want to immediately lose them. As I said, playing it safe.

Bacarruda posted:

The idea of buddy-tanking with the Tornadoes is interesting, but it takes 50% of our long-range strike capability out of the fight. Why not send up the VC10 to do the tanking work? That way, it'll also be airborne to help cover a late-breaking Kfir escape. Or just leave the tanking to the KC-135?

That'd free up more Tornadoes to carry Paveways or anti-tank cluster bombs. Better yet, we could fire Tauruses at late-appearing SA-11s or at military targets (there are multiple FOBs and military bases in range). There's also the anti-runway Taurus to hit airfields.
VC.10 is way the hell over there in the east and potentially down for maintenance post-Kfirs. If we're operating at night the SA-11s shouldn't even be able to see us, so I'm not terribly concerned about the standoff range.

Bacarruda posted:

If the Sledge Gripens use Surge Operations throughout the day, we'd be able to get more sorties out of them than we would with Quick Turnaround. Might be worth considering.

If Yooper guns the tanker at max speed and heads for a pre-set refueling point in the west, then it should make it to the Kfirs right as they start hitting 10-15% fuel -- depending on how aggressively we use the afterburners.

I think we might as well sortie the Sk 60s. They can go after those Bulgarian FOBs and be an extra set of eyes in the sky. We've proved they can kill facilities pretty well.
I'll consider surging Sledge instead. I had enough of an exciting time flipping back and forth between all the aircraft stats trying to figure out how long it took to rearm the various loadouts and which ones were usable at night once :v: Honestly, the buddy tanking is because I wanted a weapon that could track moving targets at night, and all the German Tornadoes had (as far as I can tell) was a pair of IR Mavericks which didn't seem very impressive. I doubt we're going to find something to fire 24 Brimstones into, so they can at least help us search for longer.

SK60s again are utterly defenseless whereas the others at least have a chance; this is playing it safe. One set of dumb rocket strikes won't do much additional damage.

power crystals fucked around with this message at 13:41 on May 2, 2017

Dimitris
Apr 11, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

sparkmaster posted:

So gamewise it seems like we're always better off using regular bombs (humanitarian concerns aside).
Depends on the target type. Clusters shine against large-area soft targets (infantry, fuel bunkerage, radars etc.). Unitary HE warheads (aka "bombs") are more effective against point targets, if they can be delivered with sufficient precision.

quote:

Would they be more effective against armor or artillery groupings? Like what we had on our last mission?
Yes, they're pretty effective against mobile groups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Wasn't the Rafale terrible until it got the AESA upgrade?

The Indian deal was fishy as hell too.

Don't get me wrong, I like the Mirage, and the Rafale has some nice qualities (though not at that price). It's just not a good package.

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 13:57 on May 2, 2017