Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I'd imagine Pasha's situation is giving both Phil and Liz pause about Henry should they have to GTFO of the US.

Henry's already a 2nd generation spy, those friends he had playing games are just a deeper cover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
It'll turn out that Henry is running a numbers station using modified videogame consoles and has been working deep cover for the First Chief Directorate since he was, like, 4 or something.

*tire swerve noise*

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I think the Jennings are going to kill Stan but I'm probably in the minority.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
It's been a while since we heard from pastor Tim, who gives off a bit of a Ted Bundy vibe IMHO.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

maskenfreiheit posted:

It's been a while since we heard from pastor Tim, who gives off a bit of a Ted Bundy vibe IMHO.

Dollar Bill is doing good work on Billions.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Number Ten Cocks posted:

I actually came to this thread to post that I just found out that it's the same guy. I really didn't notice that in two years and it took a visit to imdb for me to see it. It probably helps that they're such different characters in everything, including the hair, clothes and mannerisms.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I agree. What happens afterward is going to be interesting.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Rewatched the most recent episode with my parents and they both immediately said spy! regarding Indiana University/U of I and they're not the most careful or critical TV viewers. Both my brother and I went to the real U of I though so that helps but the staff writers obviously write deliberately and it's hard to believe none of them are from the Midwest or familiar with the IU/U of I/Iowa abbreviating tradition. Plus why introduce the character if she isn't a spy? I'm having difficulty imagining ways in which she's relevant but just a normal person. Her conversations with him seem as if she's prodding for information but we've seen that's also just normal when an SO can't say very much about their job.

tldr stan gf spy

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Pontius Pilate posted:

Rewatched the most recent episode with my parents and they both immediately said spy! regarding Indiana University/U of I and they're not the most careful or critical TV viewers. Both my brother and I went to the real U of I though so that helps but the staff writers obviously write deliberately and it's hard to believe none of them are from the Midwest or familiar with the IU/U of I/Iowa abbreviating tradition. Plus why introduce the character if she isn't a spy? I'm having difficulty imagining ways in which she's relevant but just a normal person. Her conversations with him seem as if she's prodding for information but we've seen that's also just normal when an SO can't say very much about their job.

tldr stan gf spy
I had the same reaction, but ... I really think a writer mistake is way more likely. People gently caress that up all the time. And it's not likely a spy would make such a stupid error

Or I guess it's not totally impossible she was talking about some kind of road trip considering they're like 3 hours apart and just made a clumsy segue.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

If she was a spy she wouldn't have made that mistake :tinfoil:

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

If she was a spy she wouldn't have made that mistake :tinfoil:

I also thought that but it is an easy thing for the KGB to just overlook. So many layers...

e: as a gay man, she's also much more attractive than him. And he's a nice guy but not exactly the most charismatic or socially adept one.

Pontius Pilate fucked around with this message at 02:18 on May 2, 2017

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
I think Stan will have a moment of realization, Breaking Bad style and we'll be treated to a Breaking Bad style showdown.

Also: Stan approached his new GF, not vice versa correct? If so, I'm guessing she's not a spy. (I don't think they'd just stick a hot chick in his gym and hope he hits on her.)

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

hey mister... can u play drums while I sing and play plastic guitar???

maskenfreiheit posted:

I
Also: Stan approached his new GF, not vice versa correct? If so, I'm guessing she's not a spy. (I don't think they'd just stick a hot chick in his gym and hope he hits on her.)

From their perspective, the marks are always the ones who approach

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
Also, I missed the bit about Indiana... was Renee supposedly an IU grad?

It's an open secret that the Central Eurasian studies department churned out CIA analysts like hotcakes. (I mean, they teach Azerbaijani, Estonian, Kazakh - what do you expect)

I'd bet she's CIA rather than Soviet.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

maskenfreiheit posted:

Had a noteworthy relationship with a Soviet agent, tried to convince his bosses to stop spying on his best bro in the KGB, it would make sense if someone suspected he's a double agent.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
also whatever happened to the teenager from perks of being a wallflower who their handler was creepily insistent must be slept with?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

DarklyDreaming posted:

Had a noteworthy relationship with a Soviet agent, tried to convince his bosses to stop spying on his best bro in the KGB, it would make sense if someone suspected he's a double agent.

Too obvious, but it'd be enough in the Reagan era to mark you as a "fellow traveler" and cost you your clearance.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Number Ten Cocks posted:

:stare: holy poo poo I had no clue they were the same dude

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

GobiasIndustries posted:

:stare: holy poo poo I had no clue they were the same dude

Watch that scene of him and Axe fake screaming at each other in the office back to back with some Paige counseling for maximum WTFness.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

maskenfreiheit posted:

It's an open secret that the Central Eurasian studies department churned out CIA analysts like hotcakes. (I mean, they teach Azerbaijani, Estonian, Kazakh - what do you expect)

She referred to Indiana University Bloomington as U of I which is traditionally what University of Illinois Urbana Champaign is called and IU is the Indiana University abbreviation.

It's reasonable that the FBI or CIA would have doubts about Stan's allegiance but assigning an agent to it seems like overkill versus monitoring. And he met her before he really dug in about Oleg right?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

maskenfreiheit posted:

I thiiiiink in the story she was telling she was driving through?

maskenfreiheit posted:

also whatever happened to the teenager from perks of being a wallflower who their handler was creepily insistent must be slept with?

Kimmie? Phillip is still getting intel from her, but it's not plot relevant so they don't show it.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

maskenfreiheit posted:

The CIA official's daughter? Philip is supposedly still checking up on her regularly and switching the tapes; P&E have a lot of things going on simultaneously that probably provides no immediately interesting intel most of the time, but the show only focuses on the stuff relating to the current narrative.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

EricBauman posted:

I actually came to this thread to post that I just found out that it's the same guy. I really didn't notice that in two years and it took a visit to imdb for me to see it. It probably helps that they're such different characters in everything, including the hair, clothes and mannerisms.

loving gently caress gently caress. :vince: I feel like such a dolt.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Longbaugh01 posted:

loving gently caress gently caress. :vince: I feel like such a dolt.

You can't say he's been type cast.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

It wasnt that she called the wrong school UofI.

She called it The U of I

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

banned from Starbucks posted:

It wasnt that she called the wrong school UofI.

She called it The U of I

:what:

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I think Stan is going to catch his girlfriend doing some straight up spy poo poo, she ends up killing him. Everyone is going to freak out because another high ranking anti-intelligence FBI agent is killed but no one knows who did it. Paige starts to think it was her parents, freaks out and turns them in, they spend the rest of the series on the run.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I don't think she'll kill him. Stan is a big guy and even though he's never had to show it, FBI counterintelligence agents are trained to hold their own physically. He also spent time with white supremacists, who basically fight to prove they "ain't no faggots."

I think the drama will come from the point that the burden of proof will be entirely on him to prove she was an agent, and combined with him sleeping with her and already being on the AG's poo poo list will compound the situation enough that it'll end his career and probably land him in prison.

Or, he'll tell Philip and Aderholt since they're his only friends who are close enough to help him "make it go away," and Philip will have a huge crisis of conscience because he'll have two FBI C-I agents hook, line, and sinker and have to decide to keep it from Elizabeth, who would definitely tell Claudia.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 03:18 on May 3, 2017

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
gently caress all you all who wanted this creepy story line back.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Oh hey someone was just asking about her

:stonk:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

No god damnit I don't want Kimmie back.

Glanders in Afghanistan, eh?

Snowfall looks like it could be a darker version of Atlanta and I'm tempted to check it out because Atlanta is a drat Good Show.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Orthodox priest is deep cover spy

Edit: "I'll pray for you" Maybe not that deep cover

DarklyDreaming fucked around with this message at 03:25 on May 3, 2017

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Aww, Henry's chasing his girlfriend to boarding school. :3:

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
But Moooommmm... the students are waiters!

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Martha baking a potato

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Speaking of recurring storylines.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Fancy boarding school is all part of deep cover Henry's plan to get into the highest levels of US government

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

CBJSprague24 posted:

Snowfall looks like it could be a darker version of Atlanta and I'm tempted to check it out because Atlanta is a drat Good Show.

Other than having black people and being on FX I don't really get that comparison.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

How did Oleg find out about Nina's execution? I was waiting for that to be revealed and turn him against his dad for failing to prevent it.

Henchman of Santa posted:

Other than having black people and being on FX I don't really get that comparison.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlVguxWpjj8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SK6t1mEtTlw

The second trailer actually reminded me of the "Don Glover sticks flyers under windshield wipers" trailer (the one linked above I'd forgotten about). If that stretch of a comparison means it's going to be anywhere near as good a show as Atlanta was (and it has a chance given FX puts out good stuff more often than not), it could be a good watch.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 04:20 on May 3, 2017

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

CBJSprague24 posted:

Glanders in Afghanistan

and

"He would want revenge"

poo poo just got real.

Martha gonna get :commissar: if she keeps talking about knowing poo poo and if the Russians think she will be a problem

CBJSprague24 posted:

How did Oleg find out about Nina's execution? I was waiting for that to be revealed and turn him against his dad for failing to prevent it.

His dad told him iirc after Oleg pressed him on the issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

This was an episode about ghosts, living and dead.

• Locked thread