Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

D: Why doesn't Sanji's eyes turn into hearts when he is talking with Reiju?

O: That's how it is with brothers/sisters, right? I used to get in numerous fights with my elder sister when I was a kid. It would be weird if Sanji turns his eyes into hearts to talk with Reiju.

Thank you Oda

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Plutonis posted:

D: Why doesn't Sanji's eyes turn into hearts when he is talking with Reiju?

O: That's how it is with brothers/sisters, right? I used to get in numerous fights with my elder sister when I was a kid. It would be weird if Sanji turns his eyes into hearts to talk with Reiju.

Thank you Oda

:agreed:

Besides, this just leaves more room for the Usopp harem ending.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
More thoughts on Big Mom's age:

Perospero is 42 years older than whoever Big Mom's youngest child is (Anana? Dolcee? Dragee? Anglais? A baby who hasn't been shown yet?). Oda's art style makes it hard to tell, but the youngest of the little kids certainly can't be older than 8, making Perospero 50 at most (making Big Mom at least 18 when she had him).

Roger's death was over 23 years ago (Ace died age 20 and was born a year and 3 months after Roger's death, and the 2-year time skip happened after Ace's death). That means Big Mom was 45 at the oldest when Roger read her Poneglyph, and Perospero was 27 at the absolute oldest, though probably closer to 19. Katakuri and Cracker are probably only a few years younger than Perospero (since sons 5-9 were born in the same year, and Cracker is the 10th son), although we son't know exactly because we don't know when the daughters were born relative to the sons. So it's possible that Katakuri and Cracker were already strong back then, although it's also possible they weren't.

So I guess this leaves ambiguous whether Big Mom was a major rival to Roger/Whitebeard/Garp/Shiki, or if she only became a big deal and got recognized as an Emperor a few years later when the Sweet Commanders got strong enough. Though in the latter case, what was she doing with one of the most important Poneglyphs?

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 04:27 on May 2, 2017

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Reread the SBS, I'm pretty sure big mom began giving birth to her children 42 years ago (so they would have been ~20 at Rodger's death, no?)

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Did Roger do a gently caress to Big Mom?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
No

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

and you're basing this off of...?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

mabels big day posted:

and you're basing this off of...?

He doesn't want to go on a boring adventure like that.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Roger only hosed once

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Roger left all his fucks in one piece

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
:bignews: :bignews: :bignews:

New chapter - http://kissmanga.com/Manga/One-Piece/One-Piece---864?id=365036

:bignews: :bignews: :bignews:

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

I'll be honest, when Bege was introduced on Sabaody he came across as the least likeable of the Supernovas, but as the old saying goes, Oda did it again.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

TriffTshngo posted:

I'll be honest, when Bege was introduced on Sabaody he came across as the least likeable of the Supernovas, but as the old saying goes, Oda did it again.

beige is a dirtbag but he's a cool dirtbag

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

On a re-reading, I just spotted the actual :bignews: panel in this chapter.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Well somebody's weepy.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
someone's probably beaten me to this by now but beige actually being a good guy makes so much sense considering that whole cake arc - much like the fast and the furious franchise - is about family

both our primary antagonists, judge and mama, are parents but are completely monstrous and awful parents in their own way. judge sees his kids as extensions of himself, as people he can mold - literally - into carrying his warped world view forward. mama is arguably even worse, having so many kids and husbands but treating them all as disposable tools, only to be shown twisted affection when they've sufficiently pleased her insane whims.

beige, on the other hand, is ultimately on the straw hats sides and redeemable because he's a genuine family man, both with his mobster crew and his really ugly family. so while he may be a lot eviler than straw hat allies tend to run, he's ultimately on the side of the heroes because his family's an example of a "good" one, just like the straw hats themselves are.

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 10:27 on May 2, 2017

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Blockhouse posted:

someone's probably beaten me to this by now but beige actually being a good guy makes so much sense considering that whole cake arc - much like the fast and the furious franchise - is about family

both our primary antagonists, judge and mama, are parents but are completely monstrous and awful parents in their own way. judge sees his kids as extensions of himself, as people he can mold - literally - into carrying his warped world view forward. mama is arguably even worse, having so many kids and husbands but treating them all as disposable tools, only to be shown twisted affection when they've sufficiently pleased her insane whims.

beige, on the other hand, is ultimately on the straw hats sides and redeemable because he's a genuine family man, both with his mobster crew and his really ugly family. so while he may be a lot eviler than straw hat allies tend to run, he's ultimately on the side of the heroes because his family's an example of a "good" one, just like the straw hats themselves are.

I guess you forgot his introduction. He forked his son.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3kNzao7M0s

Kild fucked around with this message at 10:33 on May 2, 2017

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Capone Bege... is a good character? :bignews:

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Kild posted:

I guess you forgot his introduction. He forked his son.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3kNzao7M0s

look

in beige's defense it wasn't IN THE loving EYE in the manga

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I like how Sanji just casually dodged Pudding's gunshot and then went right back to trying to talk her down.

LupusAter
Sep 5, 2011

So, with Katakuri's next line prediction shtick and the guy with a djinn stand, are we fully Jojo now?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

I love how the plan going off the rails was because they overshot how much stuff to do to give Big Mom a freakout.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
chap is up on mangastream it is guuuuuud

Cran
Mar 23, 2011
Ahaha, halfway through the chapter and all that poo poo happened in like three seconds according to Chopper.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Pureauthor posted:

I love how the plan going off the rails was because they overshot how much stuff to do to give Big Mom a freakout.

I thought the plan would gently caress up because the Straw Hats would make a mistake but it turns out that it'll gently caress up because everybody stuck to it.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Pureauthor posted:

Well somebody's weepy.
The best part about the chapter to me, despite almost all of the chapter being fantastic, was Judge breaking down in the typical One Piece style immediately. Just full blown snotty nose sobbing like we've all seen before, but since he's such an incredulously awful person, there's just no reaction to it besides "you reap what you sow".

Also, the line "Do you listen to the cries of the cattle before it shows up as a steak?" is fantastic

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Shinjobi posted:

:agreed:

Besides, this just leaves more room for the Usopp harem ending.

... wait, do you mean a harem for Usopp, or a harem of Usopps?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Darth Walrus posted:

... wait, do you mean a harem for Usopp, or a harem of Usopps?

:getin:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
"Sir we asked our clairvoyant what to expect next but he wouldn't stop screaming."

"Ah. Hmm."

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

"Sir we asked our clairvoyant what to expect next but he wouldn't stop screaming."

"Ah. Hmm."

Funny how well One Piece and My Hero Academia lined up this week.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Captain Invictus posted:

Also, the line "Do you listen to the cries of the cattle before it shows up as a steak?" is fantastic

Do you remember how many breads have you eaten in your life?

LupusAter
Sep 5, 2011

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Do you remember how many breads have you eaten in your life?

This seals it, we Jojo now.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

"Guys are we seriously the only group that showed up today without a plan to assassinate someone"

"That's pretty embarrassing, you gotta admit. "

"we're supposed to be a legendary evil army, dammit"

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I love that even when Luffy thinks Bege betrayed them and is pointing a gun at his head Luffy still finds Brook being alive after beheading funny and is in tears of laughter.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I used to read the manga and dropped it just after Fishman Island finished releasing. I dropped it mainly because I just stopped reading any manga a few years ago. Last year I ended up rewatching the entirety of the anime and had a great time all around but when I caught up and started watching it week to week my interest tapered off. I think that's a fairly typical response to following the anime week to week due to the egregious padding, pacing, and filler. I've decided to read the manga from the start of the timeskip and ordered the first three volumes of it from Amazon last night. I've heard the official translation leaves a lot to be desired until the end of Fishman Island when they hired a top bloke to do translating. Still I'd take Zolo over Yonko, Shichcibukai, and goddamn nakama. I watched the anime up until midway through the flashback on Zou, I believe I'd just seen Sanji leave with Capone after freeing the others.

Here are things I'm excited to get to in the manga

1. My pal told me Sanji throws a punch and it's insanely sick.

2. Confirmation that Lola's strong pirate mom in the new world is Big Mom. This seemed obvious on a rewatch but probably something people forgot when they'd been following week by week. Also last time I mentioned this on the internet people called me retarded for thinking it.

3. Kaido potentially doing something. I waited so long for his reveal and tbh it ruled really hard and his design is insanely sick.

4. Zoro is definitely opening that permanently closed eye. I think it won't be his eye or something cool like that.

5. I think Zoro's cursed sword will break and he'll replace it with a better cursed sword. IIRC there are three cursed swords and Zoro's is the worst of them. I'm guessing there's one in the best sword tier.

6. Finally finding out what those samurai are really up to.

7. I just want more Fourth Gear honestly, Luffy totally rolled Doflamingo while it was activated.

8. Wouldn't mind seeing more of the Supernovas doing stuff instead of just my beautiful boy Trafalgar.

9. Speaking of which where is my perfect boy Marco.

10. The newest admiral also.

Is there a better translation of Marco's line about Blackbeard from the Summit War? After Blackbeard steals the Tremor Tremor Fruit power from Whitebeard Marco says "Teach's body always was unusual" or something like that.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Yonko and Shichibukai are cool and good

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Aurora posted:

Yonko and Shichibukai are cool and good
I prefer Emperor and Warlord because it's truer translation of the intended meaning. I feel like a good translation should need as few translation notes or extra knowledge beyond the text as possible.

EmmyOk fucked around with this message at 14:54 on May 2, 2017

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Welcome back!

We debate that line about Blackbeard every couple of months. The way I originally saw it translated was Marco saying his body is weird, rather than always was, leaving the option open that he was able to do what he did just because of the peculiarities of the Darkness fruit. There are other theories that his body was weird even before the Darkness fruit, ranging from the serious theory that his first fruit was a Cerberus Zoan, to some crackpot theory about a conjoined fetus that I can't even remember the specifics because that's all you need to know.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

EmmyOk posted:

I prefer Emperor and Warlord because it's truer translation of the intended meaning. I feel like a good translation should need as few translation notes or extra knowledge beyond the text as possible.
Emperor/Warlord are definitely better but I think a lot of people have spent years reading Yonko/Shichcibukai and just have it ingrained in their heads, it's no big deal. It took a decade for nakama to drop out of the OP vernacular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Haha, "Luffy do this thing" "Why?" "Because when I thought about doing it, the guy who can see the future just got really nervous so it's gotta be good"