Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Burt posted:

Question.

This is one of the first pictures I have seen of a black special operations dude.

Is that actually a thing that there aren't many black guys in these unit? If so is it a deliberate thing?

yes its a real thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Burt posted:

Is that actually a thing that there aren't many black guys in these unit? If so is it a deliberate thing?
What does your heart tell you?

Jun 27, 2002

Carrion Fairy

Burt posted:

Question.

This is one of the first pictures I have seen of a black special operations dude.

It's definitely A Thing. Especially among the SEALs who, at least for a while, loved to claim that "black people can't swim". The unit pictured is a bit unorthodox and might not be representative of the SOF community as a whole.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
It is also A Thing for some people to point out that white people are disproportionately in combat arms rather than service support.

Doubly so if the person is some chickenhawk who never signed up, in my experience.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Considering how well the black guys did in the Predator movies this really surprises me.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
Black guys always seemed go Motor T and Legal/Admin in the Marines. Though I did know two Scout Snipers who were black dudes, but both grew up in upper middle class suburbs of San Antonio. I figure after the draft threw them in to so much poo poo in Vietnam their veteran family members wisely told them to go POG and get a skill set they can do something with

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
In Navy boot about 90% of the black guys had to get basic swimming lessons to pass 3rd class swimmer. They just never had any time out swimming when they grew up.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
My best friend is half Jamaican and pretty athletic and he doesn't like water very much. He doesn't sink, but he isn't great at swimming. He always wants me to give him swimming lessons every summer (I'm a strong swimmer but never did anything competitive though)

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Booblord Zagats posted:

Black guys always seemed go Motor T and Legal/Admin in the Marines. Though I did know two Scout Snipers who were black dudes, but both grew up in upper middle class suburbs of San Antonio. I figure after the draft threw them in to so much poo poo in Vietnam their veteran family members wisely told them to go POG and get a skill set they can do something with

this might just be a marine thing. % of enlisted black service members by branch in 2014: army 23.6%, navy 19%, air force 16.2%, marines 11%

so theyre overrepresented in the army and navy, right about national average in af, and underrepresented in the marines. i also found another statistic (unsourced from a blog post) that claimed 1/4 of all enlisted black soldiers are combat arms. my anecdote is that in my line company we only ever had a handful of black guys, and asian dude here or there, a couple amindians, and atleast 1/3 hispanic

the more interesting thing from that demo report is amount of enlisted pay grades per branch. biggest # per branch: af and navy e5, army e4, marines e3

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

this might just be a marine thing. % of enlisted black service members by branch in 2014: army 23.6%, navy 19%, air force 16.2%, marines 11%

so theyre overrepresented in the army and navy, right about national average in af, and underrepresented in the marines. i also found another statistic (unsourced from a blog post) that claimed 1/4 of all enlisted black soldiers are combat arms. my anecdote is that in my line company we only ever had a handful of black guys, and asian dude here or there, a couple amindians, and atleast 1/3 hispanic

the more interesting thing from that demo report is amount of enlisted pay grades per branch. biggest # per branch: af and navy e5, army e4, marines e3

Terminal Lancing is bad enough in a lot of MOS' to explain why that would happen, but I am surprised to learn that Islanders/Filipinos aren't a larger part of the Navy and Marines. 07ish at Pendleton looked like downtown Manila some days. Also, another odd experience I had was most black dudes I know from my time were all very vocal about being 4 years and out from day one, since they seemed smart enough to just be there for the GI Bill

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

I think other ethnic groups are simply smart enough to not buy into the "go kill people for the USA and jesus" rhetoric. As booblord said its probably because the older folks in those communities remember Vietnam and know its all bullshit.

PookBear fucked around with this message at 20:26 on May 2, 2017

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

So what you're telling me is white people are dumb?

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Force de Fappe posted:

So what you're telling me is white people are dumb?

That or more blood thirsty, either way, we're cool with it

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Reverand maynard posted:

I think other ethnic groups are simply smart enough to not buy into the "go kill people for the USA and jesus" rhetoric. As booblord said its probably because the older folks in those communities remember Vietnam and know its all bullshit.

something like 12% of the military was black, but they made up 25% of combat arms. translated into about 25% of casualties being black during the opening years. there was justifiably a lot of criticism from civil rights leaders, and the pentagon instituted several reforms that brought it down to 13% of casualties were black by 67. by the end of the war it was below 10%. all told, blacks made up 12.5% of vietnam casualties. even though it was corrected, its pretty understandable that the early years fuckery would leave a lot of bad memories in the black community. couple that with all the civil rights upheaval and lovely treatment of blacks in general, its easy to see why they werent crazy about dying in some white mans war

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
No soul brotha, too beacoup

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Only black marine I've ever met was a 5'3 manlet who freely admitted seeking out a personnel MOS just for the abuse potential. So yeah, enlisting smarter not harder.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Force de Fappe posted:

So what you're telling me is enlisted people are dumb?

subterfudge
Aug 5, 2015
"There is a reason why we have a swim test."

My infantry company of 200 something in basic had like 10 black people. Out of the 150ish people in my RIP class when we did the swim test one white guy failed on the first time and made it on the 2nd. About half of the black guys failed on the first time with a little more than half of them making on the 2nd try. To be fair though, swimming in fatigues and boots can be decently difficult if you're not used to swimming.

In regiment we were probably 10% black, 20-30% hispanic, 5ish% asian, with the rest being white in the companies I was with.

My dad told me that combat arms was almost entirely black and hispanic in Vietnam and that white guys were the minority.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Proud Christian Mom posted:

I think that's returning from Eagle Claw

Oof. Nobody in that picture is feeling good about things.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

subterfudge posted:

My dad told me that combat arms was almost entirely black and hispanic in Vietnam and that white guys were the minority.

there is no way this is true.

https://www.archives.gov/research/military/vietnam-war/casualty-statistics.html

subterfudge
Aug 5, 2015
drat, I didn't know it leaned that heavy towards white.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

subterfudge posted:

drat, I didn't know it leaned that heavy towards white.

Well you see, the United States has always been a christian nation...

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
bear in mind white hispanics are included in that white category, dod doesnt break them out in their numbers usually. dunno what the gently caress hispanic one race is

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
Hot takes on hot takes! Can't wait

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Zeris posted:

Hot takes on hot takes! Can't wait

only one shitposting is kawasaki, and its totally in keeping with his cunty style :shrug:

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

I meant regarding that vietnam casualties picture, whether or fake or true, is going to get used for all of the wrong reasons by both sides who will then blow up at each others' blow ups

vains
May 26, 2004

i snipped it from archives.gov not stormfront.kkk.

vains
May 26, 2004

i think its probably only earth shattering to computer janitors that combat arms units are overwhelmingly white guys.

i also dont think the 'black dudes join to learn a craft/skill' or 'the experience of black men in vietnam led the following 3 generations to avoid combat arms jobs' are very good explanations. i'm not saying this in some crypto-racist way, i just think there has to be more nuance to it than that.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009
I thought there were a few high ranking black SEALS, but it's possible he's become the token black guy in all the publicity photos

Suicide Watch fucked around with this message at 04:14 on May 3, 2017

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Intel is 99% black dudes, and big buff ones too

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Zeris posted:

I meant regarding that vietnam casualties picture, whether or fake or true, is going to get used for all of the wrong reasons by both sides who will then blow up at each others' blow ups

Both sides of what? Seems like the absence of black dudes in SF is a thing? There were very rarely black nukes too. I think our class had 5 out of 300 people or so which was pretty light. That our crew had two black nukes was pretty atypical as far as I'm aware too

Edit: I wouldn't be surprised if it had something to do with either recruitment rates from black majority urban areas or broader economic characteristics. I met way more people from the country side than major cities while I was in.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

What vietnam pic do you think I am reacting to?

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
The one massively buck negro posted?

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Nevermind, I'm retarded

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Both sides of what? Seems like the absence of black dudes in SF is a thing? There were very rarely black nukes too. I think our class had 5 out of 300 people or so which was pretty light. That our crew had two black nukes was pretty atypical as far as I'm aware too

Edit: I wouldn't be surprised if it had something to do with either recruitment rates from black majority urban areas or broader economic characteristics. I met way more people from the country side than major cities while I was in.

On my entire boat we had 7 black guys. a striker, an E-4 IC, a cook E-4 MS, 1 E-7 ICC, E-4 YM, E-7 YMC, and Lead ELT was an E-6. That is out of about 120-130 total crew.

Black guys just didn't go for subs I think. Too smart for that dumb bullshit.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Zeris posted:

Nevermind, I'm retarded

Is that still a minority in the military too?

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

subterfudge posted:

In regiment we were probably 10% black, 20-30% hispanic, 5ish% asian, with the rest being white in the companies I was with.

Are you counting E co(support) on there? Before e co got stood up, I could probably count the number of black dudes in the whole battalion on one hand.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
To continue the anecdotal evidence, when I was in the Infantry we had more Pacific Islanders than we did Black guys in my company. We had a lot of Hispanic guys though, probably 15-20%.

When I was Chemical my Platoon was 50% black. I think in my out of 26 Soldiers, 3 were white, and 2 of those white dudes were Eastern European.

I'm in PSYOP now, which is SOF but obviously not combat arms, and the numbers are similar to Infantry. My Detachment had 3 Asian guys and one black dude.

I have no idea why this is, just what I saw/remember.

As far as swimming is concerned. My wife is 1st generation American of Jamaican decent and didn't know how to swim until she was in her mid twenties when I made her learn. I don't think any of her family knows how to swim either. It was crazy to me when I found that out because some of my earliest memories are from the pool.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

ded posted:

On my entire boat we had 7 black guys. a striker, an E-4 IC, a cook E-4 MS, 1 E-7 ICC, E-4 YM, E-7 YMC, and Lead ELT was an E-6. That is out of about 120-130 total crew.

Black guys just didn't go for subs I think. Too smart for that dumb bullshit.

I beg to differ!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

subterfudge
Aug 5, 2015

Slim Pickens posted:

Are you counting E co(support) on there? Before e co got stood up, I could probably count the number of black dudes in the whole battalion on one hand.

I bumped the number up a little bit to include E co. We even had two black 1SGs in batt at one point when I was there. At A co and D co you usually had about 5ish black guys per company. My first platoon had 2 black guys.