Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Pochoclo posted:

Don't even get me started, loving immigrants are the worst, they come here and steal our jobs, eat our houses, buy our food, drink our polluted air, and they don't integrate! They should all get deported! Tories will build a great wall around the country, vote Tories.

* is immigrant *

I'm not sure I like this new direction for you.

e: 10, the house number in Downing Street where Corbyn will be living starting mid-June.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

Pissflaps posted:

She's not very good is she.
She rubs me up the wrong way for some reason, cant quite put my finger on it. If im going to be completely trite her voice annoys me which is no good reason to judge a person at all so thats more my failing than hers.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

MikeCrotch posted:

I like how in these days of Trump and Brexit people think "gotchas" like this have any value with the public

I think the person or idea has to have some sort of initial popularity for car crash media to be ineffective.

Abbott is already known to be bobbins. Stuff like this just confirms it.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Seaside Loafer posted:

She rubs me up the wrong way for some reason, cant quite put my finger on it. If im going to be completely trite her voice annoys me which is no good reason to judge a person at all so thats more my failing than hers.

It's because she sounds at the same time patronising and unconvincing.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

MikeCrotch posted:

I like how in these days of Trump and Brexit people think "gotchas" like this have any value with the public

Those things only benefit the evil fuckers not the good guys.
Same reason people saying "well brexit happened and Trump won so maybe corbyn will win in an upset" are sadly wrong.

Also I had a glance at some of the papers today and it's funny seeing the right wing rags spin Mays disastrous meeting with Juncker as the EU trying to trick her but she stands up for plucky Britain.

We're hosed for a long time. People are gonna guzzle that shite down.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Miftan posted:

I'm not sure I like this new direction for you.

What else can I say at this point other than "vote Labour even if you hate Corbyn", though?

Private Eye
Jul 12, 2010

Don't be so bloody gay, Cambo
Holy Christ that Diane Abbot interview is straight out of The Thick Of It. At least she wasn't actually in the studio so you couldn't see if she was blinking or not. Utterly bloody clueless.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
You could hear the frantic rustling of papers.

She'll be alright though she's Jeremy's mate.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
It's gonna cost them 300 grand.

For 10,000 officers.

Over 4 years.

Effective minimum wage: one farthing per hour.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
It's ok

https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/859338472041132033

Jeremy is not embarrassed.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

Pissflaps posted:

It's because she sounds at the same time patronising and unconvincing.
True that.

e: To claifry I havent actually listened to this horrible interview yet its just her in general in every appearance ive ever seen

Seaside Loafer fucked around with this message at 10:40 on May 2, 2017

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD
https://twitter.com/josephcorcoran/status/858813477317734401

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

Pissflaps posted:

Sorry that's alternate history.

The thing about alternate history is it supposed to make sense on its own terms.

For example, you can't have an election now with a better Labour leader. If Labour had a more popular leader, they would have being doing better in the polls. And so May would not have called a snap election.

So, as far as this election goes, Jeremy Corbyn is literally the best posssible Labour leader.

Of Harry Turtledove's books, the best one is the series where the Confederacy hangs onto independence and quasi-slavery until the 1930s. At which point it goes full fascist and proceeeds to fight a cut+pasted WWII, more or less battle by battle.

The alt-Nazi party that does this is called the Freedom Party, and are identifiably libertarian. Truly, a work of prophecy.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Ewan posted:

So, who has the best summer BBQ recipes?

Big bit of pork shoulder covered in dry rub (paprika, cumin, chilli, cayenne, garlic). Cook at 105C indirect over wood chips for about 8 hours until internal temp is ~90C. Shred + serve with collard greens + coleslaw.

Pochoclo posted:

- Since you're European and used to lovely meats

You have no idea what you're talking about.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
https://twitter.com/theipaper/status/857994119389622279

Bristol, well known Northern city.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

To be fair it sounds like Abbott initially misread the headline cost as £300,000 (instead of £300 million), got flustered and stumbled over several other figures before finding the bit of her notes with the cost breakdown and reading it out.

Awkward and embarrassing and will obviously be pushed by other parties, but the fact that she got it right in the end and that Corbyn instantly had the correct answer to hand will be a bit of damage limitation.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

jabby posted:

To be fair it sounds like Abbott initially misread the headline cost as £300,000 (instead of £300 million), got flustered and stumbled over several other figures before finding the bit of her notes with the cost breakdown and reading it out.

I liked the bits where she just invented the £80 million figure and then promised to recruit a million policemen.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

I know people who pretty much think that anything outside of the M25 is savage undifferentiated wilderness, so this doesn't surprise me in the least

Also my great-grandpa was from Plymouth and considered Bristol to be the start of the North.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

jabby posted:

Awkward and embarrassing and will obviously be pushed by other parties, but the fact that she got it right in the end and that Corbyn instantly had the correct answer to hand will be a bit of damage limitation.

Problem is the story has already become 'Corbyn defends Abbott over gaffe' rather than 'labour pledges new police officers'.

I also think it's pretty clear what the Conservative strategy is going to be - sit tight, let Labour rush out spending pledges (and not interrupt when everyone is stumbling around making unforced errors), then in the last weeks start pulling out the 'you've spent the same money several times over, Labour can't be trusted with the national credit card etc etc' line.

Labour win when they convince the public they can be trusted to spend wisely and lose when they can't, and for that reason this is precisely the worst kind of gaffe that can possibly be made.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

MikeCrotch posted:

I know people who pretty much think that anything outside of the M25 is savage undifferentiated wilderness, so this doesn't surprise me in the least

We're not the ones that have a serial cat killer

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

knox_harrington posted:

South american beef is some of the least ecologically friendly sources of beef in the world, so even if it's good, don't buy it.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Alchenar posted:

Problem is the story has already become 'Corbyn defends Abbott over gaffe' rather than 'labour pledges new police officers'.

I also think it's pretty clear what the Conservative strategy is going to be - sit tight, let Labour rush out spending pledges (and not interrupt when everyone is stumbling around making unforced errors), then in the last weeks start pulling out the 'you've spent the same money several times over, Labour can't be trusted with the national credit card etc etc' line.

Labour win when they convince the public they can be trusted to spend wisely and lose when they can't, and for that reason this is precisely the worst kind of gaffe that can possibly be made.

In the last weeks presumably they won't get a chance, as Labour have promised a fully costed manifesto.

Honestly it's very annoying when terrible interviews like this happen, but every time I'm reminded that the reason we have the shadow bench we do is that virtually everyone else in the PLP refused to work with Corbyn in the hope he would fail. They could have given Labour a decent chance in this election but instead they chose infighting. Whatever the result a lot of people will hopefully remember that.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

MikeCrotch posted:

Also my great-grandpa was from Plymouth and considered Bristol to be the start of the North.

Bristol might as well be bulgaria.

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD

knox_harrington posted:

Big bit of pork shoulder covered in dry rub (paprika, cumin, chilli, cayenne, garlic). Cook at 105C indirect over wood chips for about 8 hours until internal temp is ~90C. Shred + serve with collard greens + coleslaw.

Are you American by any chance? Or spent lots of time in America?

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

jabby posted:

In the last weeks presumably they won't get a chance, as Labour have promised a fully costed manifesto.

Honestly it's very annoying when terrible interviews like this happen, but every time I'm reminded that the reason we have the shadow bench we do is that virtually everyone else in the PLP refused to work with Corbyn in the hope he would fail. They could have given Labour a decent chance in this election but instead they chose infighting. Whatever the result a lot of people will hopefully remember that.

i suspect that Abbot would still have a prominent shadow cabinet position even if every single member of the party was jumping at the chance to get in. her and Corbyn go way back

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
I doubt Maconie is selecting the jpegs, and he makes a valid point.

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

https://twitter.com/IanDunt/status/859347738034675712

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

MikeCrotch posted:

Let's have the argument about whether Bristol is part of the West Country again

spoiler: it isn't

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Exeter is the start of the north.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Cerv posted:

i suspect that Abbot would still have a prominent shadow cabinet position even if every single member of the party was jumping at the chance to get in. her and Corbyn go way back

Most likely, but she wasn't shadow home until the coup attempt.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

jabby posted:

So it's the PLPs fault that Abbott is loving terrible. I see.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Ewan posted:

Are you American by any chance? Or spent lots of time in America?

Ha no, not American. I spend quite a bit of time there. Most food there is terrible but I like a bit of St Louis / whatever bbq.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

"We are bringing you live coverage of her visit but for security reasons are unable to reveal the location until she arrives."

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Zephro posted:

Let's have the argument about whether Bristol is part of the West Country again

spoiler: it isn't

Bristol: in the West Country, but not of it

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
Curse those dastardly blairites and their wickedness in refusing to lend Corbyn their esoteric skills such as "basic numeracy" and "working memory".

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Ratjaculation posted:

"We are bringing you live coverage of her visit but for security reasons are unable to reveal the location until she arrives."

More like until after she leaves. It's vitally important that nobody know where May is campaigning because they might be tempted to pass political comment with a thrown brick. Not that I would advocate it, but if May was killed or rendered incapable right now the entire Tory party would collapse into infighting so fast that Labour would look like an autocracy.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

:laugh:

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

It's like the debate about where the North starts and whether the Midlands is part of the North, the South, or its own part of the UK.

HINT: It is entirely subjective and based on where you grew up and your own perception and biases.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

His Divine Shadow posted:

South american beef is some of the least ecologically friendly sources of beef in the world, so even if it's good, don't buy it.

What are you talking about? Argentinian beef is 100% free range.

knox_harrington posted:

The only one in Europe that comes close is Įvila. Have you actually been to Argentina and eaten asado? NOTE: Argentinian eateries outside of Argentina do not count

Pochoclo fucked around with this message at 11:34 on May 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
hosed Up If True

• Locked thread