Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Sir Lemming posted:

It's the same with Alternative, Indie, Punk, or anything else like that. The genres/movements were named in a way that initially made sense, but couldn't possibly be taken literally after a certain point.

I think it's also worth pointing out that in most cases these "genre" names come from the media and not the artists in question, many of whom are often very uncomfortable with these labels

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

The video's content is right for this thread, but the sea of mulleted, bespectacled men in the audience is prime for the Stupid Music poo poo thread so this might get crossposted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DXnd-B-t6s

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I love that thank you

redback3
Mar 31, 2011

Yeah well, I was supposed to, but then Arne came and put my head into some porridge.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33pqblp2WXE

Genesis still remain as the kings of Prog Rock for me.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

I've been listening to the remaster of Foxtrot myself and it's good.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.
Some video of the Yes induction to the R&R HoF:

https://youtu.be/RvTJj7o-K2Y - Alex Lifeson and Geddy Lee Introduction
https://youtu.be/IYlcJH8BEWI - Yes Induction speech, Rick Wakeman kills it
https://youtu.be/WvU3h4a1vvY - Owner of a Lonely Heart performance (Steve Howe plays bass, pretty sick Rick Wakeman Keytar jam at the end)
https://youtu.be/bfhI6nBZOLc - Roundabout performance (Geddy Lee on bass)

Not the cleanest Yes performance but it was great nonetheless, you can tell they were on cloud 9. I'm wondering if they'll be a reunion. I could picture Howe and Rabin switching off bass roles, or maybe they can bring on Geddy Lee full time now that Rush has stopped touring. Hell, bring in Neil Peart since Alan White said he was ready to retire. If they add in Lifeson it could be an awesome Rush/Yes hybrid album project and touring act.

Gianthogweed fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Apr 9, 2017

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Gianthogweed posted:

Not the cleanest Yes performance but it was great nonetheless, you can tell they were on cloud 9. I'm wondering if they'll be a reunion. I could picture Howe and Rabin switching off bass roles, or maybe they can bring on Geddy Lee full time now that Rush has stopped touring. Hell, bring in Neil Peart since Alan White said he was ready to retire. If they add in Lifeson it could be an awesome Rush/Yes hybrid album project and touring act.

https://twitter.com/GrumpyOldRick/status/850705130441801856

(I can see Anderson doing reunion stuff.)

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

I saw The Musical Box tonight and they throughly blew my mind. Highly recommended.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

Rick also said that he would never attend the R&R HoF event. Turned out he was the highlight.

I'm not going to hold my breath though. I know there's still bad blood between ARW and Steve for continuing to tour as Yes, but I have a feeling Steve will give in eventually, especially with Alan White's recent back surgery and the fact that the band has had to replace him for large portions of last year's tour. Yes have had worse feuds before. The real question is will they still all be alive and healthy enough to perform together again when they finally resolve their issues.

There is a bitterness between Howe and Wakeman, which is sad because they used to be such good friends. I think it is rooted in 2010 when Howe replaced Rick's son, Oliver Wakeman with Geoff Downes while they were recording the side-long epic, Fly From Here. I can understand why Howe made that decision, it was Downes who co-wrote the song back in 1981 when they had originally planned on recording it before Yes split up. So it's understandable why Howe wanted Downes back in the band, but it was kind of a dick move to fire Oliver Wakeman over it. I don't think Rick ever forgave Steve for that.

I have mixed feelings on the whole thing and I wish they could come to an agreement and play together. But I think I have to side with Howe, ultimately. I always felt that Howe got screwed in the 80s. He never quit the band. First Anderson and Wakeman left in 79, they replaced them with Downes and Horn and did one more album and tour, then Squire, Horn an White left in 81, leaving Howe and Downes as the only members left. Rather than replace Squire, Horn and White and try to continue as Yes, Howe and Downes did the right thing back then and formed their own new band, Asia. But it wound up hurting them in the long run because Squire and White wound up joining with Rabin, Kaye and Anderson and started Yes back up without Howe and Downes in 1983, which I always felt was a bit of a dick move, and I could understand why Howe felt sort of betrayed by it. He played a huge role in making Yes the respected name it was and they just sort stole it out from under him in 1983. They couldn't even use the name when they formed Anderson Bruford Wakeman Howe (ABWH) without Chris Squire in 1989. It wasn't until Union in 1990 that they finally resolved their issues and Steve was welcomed back into Yes.

But now the tables have turned and he's sort of in the opposite position. But again, I have to side with Howe, because he never really left the band. Wakeman and Anderson left in 2006. Howe, Squire and White went on without them just like they did in 1980. Squire died in 2015 and Anderson, Rabin and Wakeman (ARW) formed another separate band. But this time it's the Rabin lineup that doesn't get to use the Yes name. It's all quite comical actually. They should probably both get to use the name at this point really. Honestly who really cares at this point? The ideal situation would be if they just got together and did another Union project (oh no not that!). Honestly I thought the Union album had some great moments and if they actually spent more time on it and actually all got together in a studio to really work on it, it could have been a great album. It was a missed opportunity for Yes to really make it big again. Regardless of what you thought of the album, the Union tour was fantastic and Howe and Rabin's guitar styles are so different that they actually compliment each other very well. I also love the Wakeman/Howe/Rabin dynamic. Really miss Bruford's drums and wish he'd come out of retirement. That being said, it's sort of nice having the option to see two lineups of Yes performing vastly different setlists. One the artsier 70s prog rock Yes, the other the flashier 80s arena rock Yes.

But a combination of the two can work, as shown in the RR HoF, and this performance from 2004 when Rick and Jon were on "hiatus" from Yes due to health issues, but they hadn't officially left the band yet.

https://youtu.be/75O9XiiYHPA

edit:

It looks like ARW have officially changed their name to Yes: Featuring Jon Anderson Trevor Rabin and Rick Wakeman

So it looks like we are indeed going to have two bands touring at the same time calling themselves Yes. We'll see if this will result in a legal battle. The last time a legal battle between two Yeses emerged was in 1990 and it resulted in Union ...

Gianthogweed fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Apr 14, 2017

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!
I've recently discovered this cool as hell Ethiopian math-prog band that might interest some of you here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjUDozEinPg

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Gianthogweed posted:

It looks like ARW have officially changed their name to Yes: Featuring Jon Anderson Trevor Rabin and Rick Wakeman

So it looks like we are indeed going to have two bands touring at the same time calling themselves Yes. We'll see if this will result in a legal battle. The last time a legal battle between two Yeses emerged was in 1990 and it resulted in Union ...

I think the sticking point back in those days was Squire, whereas now it's presumably Howe.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

Noise Machine posted:

I saw The Musical Box tonight and they throughly blew my mind. Highly recommended.

I saw them earlier this year, it is indeed a great show. It's amazing to think I'm into Genesis today because I took "A Trick of the Tail" on a road trip when I was 6 based on "there are cartoons on the cover".

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Of all the major classic British prog bands, Genesis was the one that took me the longest to really get into, and Trick of the Tail was the album that hooked me. For most bands, I don't know if I can still pinpoint a specific song or moment where I totally fell in love with them, but for Genesis, it was Entangled.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

Allen Wren posted:

I think the sticking point back in those days was Squire, whereas now it's presumably Howe.

A friend of mine asked why I bought tickets to ARW over Yes (who are playing near me on my birthday) and it was Steve Howe. I will happily see him on a solo tour or a small trio like he's done in the past, but even with Alan's replacement on drums, it was clear he was the one who was holding things back. Everyone else is just trying to follow him.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Cymbal Monkey posted:

I've recently discovered this cool as hell Ethiopian math-prog band that might interest some of you here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjUDozEinPg

yes this is excellent, thank you for posting!

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Noise Machine posted:

A friend of mine asked why I bought tickets to ARW over Yes (who are playing near me on my birthday) and it was Steve Howe. I will happily see him on a solo tour or a small trio like he's done in the past, but even with Alan's replacement on drums, it was clear he was the one who was holding things back. Everyone else is just trying to follow him.

I meant legally.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
He's more associated with jazz than prog but RIP Allan Holdsworth

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Henchman of Santa posted:

He's more associated with jazz than prog but RIP Allan Holdsworth
cool so basically every prog musician is dead now

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Vulture Culture posted:

King Crimson still has several vocalists left!

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Vulture Culture posted:

most of those rock in opposition and italian prog guys are still floating around

Stutes
Oct 13, 2005

Tonight's the Night

Henchman of Santa posted:

King Crimson still has several vocalists left!

Please don't curse Adrian Belew, he seemed to be alive and well when I saw him a couple weeks ago.

BasicFunk
Feb 26, 2011

How's your Funkentelechy?

Noise Machine posted:

They are indeed phenomenal.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Stutes posted:

Please don't curse Adrian Belew, he seemed to be alive and well when I saw him a couple weeks ago.

Ade seems to really be enjoying life. The current tour is great and he's happy as a kid playing again. I'll be seeing him twice more on tour in Odense and Toronto. Julie is also doing great - the new EchoTest CD with her and Marco is out.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
The GoFundMe run by Greg Beaton to defray the cost of Allan Holdsworth's funeral is, I have been assured, authentic.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

Allen Wren posted:

It's Howe and Wakeman. Probably moreso Wakeman than Howe. I get the sense that Howe would be willing to be part of any incarnation of Yes as long as he's the guitarist, and even then I think he's warmed to the idea of working with Rabin. But I have a feeling Wakeman is still pissed at Howe for firing his son Oliver back in 2010 and it will take a lot to convince him to work with Howe again.

Noise Machine posted:

I still think Howe's guitar playing is amazing, even at his advanced age. In some ways he's improved, actually, at least acoustically. I saw them live last year and was really impressed by his playing on the Drama songs and other songs that Yes usually didn't play so often. There was one show where Trevor Horn sang lead on Tempus Fugit. It was a nice little Drama reunion, minus Squire of course. Howe sounded great, and I still found myself drawn to everything he was doing the whole show. The only thing I would criticize about Howe's guitar playing in recent years (decades actually, I first noticed the change in the 80s) is that he now plays much too clean. I get it that he's going for that precise jazz guitar sound that was heard on the records, but there was an energy to his louder, dirtier and more distorted sound of the 70s in the live shows that he hasn't been able to recapture since he went clean. For example, they've never been able to top the energy of the 1972-76 performances of Close to the Edge and that's largely due to Howe's much safer and cleaner playing. Maybe too safe. The ARW shows have more energy, I admit. Rabin is a much faster player and can play faster than even the speeds Howe used to play at even in his prime. But speed isn't everything.

Gianthogweed fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Apr 18, 2017

sativa dreams
Nov 28, 2006
i'm really an '03, i swear
Barock Project's Detachment is currently sitting at #1 on progarchives for 2017; and I gotta say, it totally deserves to be there.

This is one of the best prog-rock albums I've listened to in years. Kind of astonishing I've never heard of these guys before. Very classical inspired, fantastic production and vocals. Not a single bad song on this album. I would describe them as a 70's inspired, extremely classic (baroque duh) album. Somehow it manages to feel incredibly modern and fresh at the same time though. Do yourself a favor and sit down in front of your best speakers, crank it up to 11, and enjoy the best 74 minutes of prog we are likely to hear this entire year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wj1ghguu8c

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

sativa dreams posted:

Barock Project's Detachment is currently sitting at #1 on progarchives for 2017; and I gotta say, it totally deserves to be there.

This is one of the best prog-rock albums I've listened to in years. Kind of astonishing I've never heard of these guys before. Very classical inspired, fantastic production and vocals. Not a single bad song on this album. I would describe them as a 70's inspired, extremely classic (baroque duh) album. Somehow it manages to feel incredibly modern and fresh at the same time though. Do yourself a favor and sit down in front of your best speakers, crank it up to 11, and enjoy the best 74 minutes of prog we are likely to hear this entire year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wj1ghguu8c
Getting a real 2008-2009 Steven Wilson vibe from the first part of this track, then again around the 4:00 mark. Loving this instrumentally, but the completely incompetent and jerky pitch correction is utterly ruining the vocals for me. (e: the worst of it went away later in the track, thankfully.)

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Apr 18, 2017

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Ayreon's new album is out and it's predictably amazing and somewhat cheesy.

Full album is available on youtube (and all your usual streaming services), along with some music videos.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFuMKdrzPqU&list=PLDp_PtuyOwCa_N556UPC1-Eycg4LJohQf

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!
My friend is slowly convincing me that the super whimsical style of prog peddled by Genesis, Jethro Tull, Gentle Giant, and Gryphon died in the early 70s and I really don't want her to be right. Is anyone singing about combating noxious weeds and knights in armour and such in this millennium? (alternately if there's cool lesser known prog bands from the 70s that played that style that'd be cool too.)

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Psychedelic indie pop rather than prog, but Of Montreal had a similar sort of whimsy up until Kevin Barnes apparently got really depressed. You should listen to Coquelicot Asleep in the Poppies.

And Gong kept on going until the deaths of Daevid Allen and Gilli Smyth, and beyond with a recent posthumous album featuring Allen titled Rejoice! I'm Dead!

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Cymbal Monkey posted:

My friend is slowly convincing me that the super whimsical style of prog peddled by Genesis, Jethro Tull, Gentle Giant, and Gryphon died in the early 70s and I really don't want her to be right. Is anyone singing about combating noxious weeds and knights in armour and such in this millennium? (alternately if there's cool lesser known prog bands from the 70s that played that style that'd be cool too.)

I think The Flower Kings are awful but they probably fit based on my brief attempt to find out if I like them.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Cymbal Monkey posted:

I hope your friend likes power metal.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Cymbal Monkey posted:

Resistor are great, imo. The Land of No Groove is a neat mini rock opera by them on the album Rise. As an example,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knsjsOKSg98
It's as whimsical as it gets.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Cymbal Monkey posted:

some Italian prog might fit, quite a few of the original bands are still going or have reformed, because the Italians really like prog for some reason and it didn't fully die in Italy like it did in other places. like here's the comeback record from Alphataurus from 2012 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTPxaqUFX6s, and here's Museo Rosenbach's come back album https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tBqmYt-k_Q. these aren't as good as the 70s material obviously but they're contemporary and in a similar style.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

il_cornuto posted:

I think The Flower Kings are awful but they probably fit based on my brief attempt to find out if I like them.
Yeah, anything Roine Stolt has ever been involved with generally fits this mold. TFK is super hit or miss, but his Agents of Mercy albums have been listenable, if uneven, with more than a few little shout-outs to old Genesis:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yeywUMtqqs

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Apr 28, 2017

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
I guess I'll crosspost/share this over here:

The newest Ayreon album is out. The entire thing can be listened to over on Arjen Lucassen's YouTube channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUSoR4EdyIo

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Alehkhs posted:

I guess I'll crosspost/share this over here:

The newest Ayreon album is out. The entire thing can be listened to over on Arjen Lucassen's YouTube channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUSoR4EdyIo

Beaten you to it.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Paladinus posted:

Beaten you to it.

Ah, I missed that. Oh well, I'm enjoying the hell out of more Ayreon!

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Is prog rock a largely male genre by a) artist and b) audience?

Discuss. (25 marks)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

Cymbal Monkey posted:

Wobbler's album Hinterland is the closest thing I've found that tonally fits that era. Tons of prog bands that I've seen listed as evoking that style just weirdly sound like dads who liked Genesis, etc as youth and got a band together but weren't influenced by the cool things influencing those old bands . Like how Creed listed Nirvana as a huge influence but were oblivious to the influences Nirvana were pulling from. That, or it's too metal for my taste.

Not saying I don't like that dad stuff, it just doesn't evoke the same feeling for me.