Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Medullah posted:

That was definitely the most unrealistic part of that movie.

Look, I was talking strictly about product placement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It did sort of sum up my stance, though. If I'm suspending disbelief enough to enjoy Fast and Furious there's no way my mind is in a state to say "hey, they don't have Coke in that country!" I probably wouldn't bat an eye if a bear passed by on a unicycle.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Hawaii 5-0 and Bones have done some cringing ones. I recall one whose premiere worked in chances to fellate Bing before every commercial break, but can't recall which show it was.

E: I think it was H50. "He's escaping to the mainland. Better Bing flights to find out where he's going!"

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 22:38 on May 1, 2017

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Jack Gladney posted:

There was a Modern Family episode that took place entirely on skype, which I assume was a purchase made by skype or a demand of the ABC subsidiary that owns a big stake in skype.

It wasn't Skype, it was FaceTime. And it was a fantastic episode written (Or co-written? Though since it's a comedy it's more group written than most drama's.) by M Ganz, who was an awesome writer for the first few seasons of Community. She's also very funny on twitter, though post election she's tweeted much less. (Who can blame her though.)

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Best product placement:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9hepxidZyo

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

LionArcher posted:

It wasn't Skype, it was FaceTime. And it was a fantastic episode written (Or co-written? Though since it's a comedy it's more group written than most drama's.) by M Ganz, who was an awesome writer for the first few seasons of Community. She's also very funny on twitter, though post election she's tweeted much less. (Who can blame her though.)

The episode used a bunch of different communications media and a variety of social media. I thought it was a clever way to make a cheap bottle episode.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Jack Gladney posted:

There was a Modern Family episode that took place entirely on skype, which I assume was a purchase made by skype or a demand of the ABC subsidiary that owns a big stake in skype.

I thought that was an example of a really good gimmick episode. Especially when it could have easily gone wrong in about a dozen different ways.

Also it was Facetime and not Skype.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

IRQ posted:

I don't get freaked out about it, I usually just find it hilarious.

Like when I saw Fate of the Furious yesterday and they lovingly lingered on a can of coke for far too long, in Cuba, a country where you cannot buy coke. I find that unbelievably funny.

Corona is the product placement of choice for the Fast and Furious movies.

Bruceski posted:

Hawaii 5-0 and Bones have done some cringing ones. I recall one whose premiere worked in chances to fellate Bing before every commercial break, but can't recall which show it was.

E: I think it was H50. "He's escaping to the mainland. Better Bing flights to find out where he's going!"

Yeah, odds are it was H50, even if that's not the one you're thinking of. That show shamelessly whores itself for Microsoft, or at least it did the last time I watched it like 4 years ago. I can't believe it's still on.

raditts fucked around with this message at 23:40 on May 1, 2017

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Hire me I can act

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_zbR2trnGI

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

raditts posted:

Corona is the product placement of choice for the Fast and Furious movies.

I was looking for it when they had their customary bbq at the end of the movie and didn't see any!

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I can't decide if Wreck-It Ralph had the best or worst product placement, because half of the movie takes place in a world made of candy crammed full of actual real-life brands (including ones that aren't even really a thing in America like Beard Papa's) and the other half takes place in an arcade world full of actual video game characters but they all work in the context of the movie and there are some really great jokes that only work as a specific reference to that thing.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Wreck-It Ralph has nothing on Foodfight.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

American Gods pilot was not very good. Do not recommend you watch.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

raditts posted:

Wreck-It Ralph has nothing on Foodfight.

If you don't buy name brands you support nazis

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Josh Lyman posted:

American Gods pilot was not very good. Do not recommend you watch.

Counterpoint: I liked it. It could go either way.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Snak posted:

Counterpoint: I liked it. It could go either way.

drat it Snak, you know you aren't allowed to have your own opinions!

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I liked the first episode a bunch

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

bobkatt013 posted:

If you don't buy name brands you support nazis

The fact that almost all of the actual name brands pulled out of the movie makes it extra funny.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Arist posted:

I liked the first episode a bunch

I also though the sex scene was pretty great. It's going to freak some people out and turn them off the show and that's fine, because this poo poo is probably just getting started.

I found the beginning bit a bit of a turnoff, because it felt like it was portraying Norse religion in a really superficial pop culture bullet points kind of way, but I also understand why they did it that way in the larger context of what they are trying to accomplish.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Pitch was canceled.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

muscles like this! posted:

Pitch was canceled.

Is this a bad thing? I found it to be extraordinarily uninteresting.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm like a huge baseball fan and I've spent half my life getting into mindless debates with friends about how I think baseball is the sport we could actually work women into if we really tried. But I couldn't for the life of me work up energy for that show. Even as a baseball fan a soap opera about baseball sounded like the most boring thing ever.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

STAC Goat posted:

I'm like a huge baseball fan and I've spent half my life getting into mindless debates with friends about how I think baseball is the sport we could actually work women into if we really tried. But I couldn't for the life of me work up energy for that show. Even as a baseball fan a soap opera about baseball sounded like the most boring thing ever.

There's so much butt-touching in baseball, there'd be a new sexual harassment suit every game.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

If you've seen any sports movies like Field of Dreams or Rudy then you've already seen Pitch. It's just all those stories rehashed set to an "urban" soundtrack. Her dad is a ghost in the show.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Snak posted:

I also though the sex scene was pretty great. It's going to freak some people out and turn them off the show and that's fine, because this poo poo is probably just getting started.

I found the beginning bit a bit of a turnoff, because it felt like it was portraying Norse religion in a really superficial pop culture bullet points kind of way, but I also understand why they did it that way in the larger context of what they are trying to accomplish.

On the other hand, pin-cushion man.

I dropped Pitch and never looked back after the twist-ending of episode 1.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Pitch started off ok but went downhill pretty quick, will not be missed imo

American Gods premiere wasn't bad but I'm not sold yet (I've read the book fwiw). Feels like a whole lot of style over substance so far and when the style is like OTT Starz style compared with the grace of Hannibal it makes it less my bag.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
I think the premiere of American Gods was pretty good, and I think it has the potential to continue being good. I last read the book like a decade and half ago, but Shadow seems to have a lot more personality and charisma than I remember from the book, which is a good thing because I remember that being a weak spot of it.

A lot of visual style. Which is no surprise since it was Fuller and Slade, but still. They play with aspect ratio like Legion did but there's an ante upping moment in the prologue where a sword attached to an arm actually leaves the top of the frame into the black bar that I thought was real clever and I don't think I've ever seen it before.

I'm actually pretty surprised they put that sex scene in the first episode. That kind of took some balls for how weird it can come off to people and potentially turn them completely off (instead of on?) and tap out. There's still a much weirder one coming if I recall correctly, right?

Anyway, I'm on board. Ian McShane steals the episode of course, and we haven't even gotten to meet a lot of the other major players. Honorable mention to Pablo Schreiber, and of course the guy who's playing Shadow does a great job elevating what I remember from the page.

IRQ posted:

I think everyone needs to see this, perhaps the newest pinnacle of subtle, well done, product placement:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8T2kZ8f6BA

So glad you linked this. Here was my thought process while watching this episode of this really pretty bad show that I don't know why I'm even watching anymore:
"Wait, why is this scene suddenly grinding to a halt? What is going on here...Oh. Oh dear. No. Oh god."

muscles like this! posted:

Pitch was canceled.

I'm slightly sad about this even though I'm not surprised. It was real on-the-bubble towards the cancellation side and it's :FOX: (this should be an emote). The show got a little too soap opera at times, but even if you aren't into baseball, I thought it was entertaining and had some great performances from Zach Morris and the Dad from Wonder Years.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The WGA strike has thankfully been averted as they worked late past the deadline and reached a deal.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The dad from Wonder Years is still alive? Did the final episode say that he died and I just confused fantasy and reality for 20 years?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Man, I did not realize Bryan Fuller had reached "unimpeachable God-King of television whose vision is perfect" status among goons. Hannibal hosed a lot of people up I guess.

Which is to say, the first episode of AmGods was decent, stylish visuals and some standout acting but also marred by somehow being even less tightly plotted than the book (which is a bit of a meandering mess). Then there are people who think it was trash and people who think it was loving brilliant, and it really is not either of those yet.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

precision posted:

Man, I did not realize Bryan Fuller had reached "unimpeachable God-King of television whose vision is perfect" status among goons. Hannibal hosed a lot of people up I guess.

No need to be smug. Bryan Fuller has done some very atmospheric and creative things in the past (never seen Hannibal though I've heard opinions; Pushing Daisies is one of my top 3 shows ever, liking Gods so far). If someone calls him the God King of television feel free to respond to them. Don't act like you're the only independent thinker surrounded by idiots.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm not being smug. Sometimes text is text. When I say that, I am saying "I legitimately did not realize how insanely defensive of Fuller some people are". I've watched every show he's done, and enjoyed them all.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
I haven't watched it yet but I'm a massive sucker for fantastic visuals and artsy direction over fully satisfying storytelling (hello Legion and Utopia) so I'm already assuming I'm gonna be in the latter camp.

Also I think you're underestimating the Kings story's interaction with the Fuller effect. Two genius showrunners whose shows never get all the traction they deserve tackling an unfilmable genre work is basically TVIV catnip. All it needs now is a woman to hate and there'll be no stopping the thread from devouring us all.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

precision posted:

Hannibal hosed a lot of people up I guess.

I've only just now started seeing this meme in The Leftovers thread and already feel like it needs to die, whether it's referring to :lost: or anything else. (Though I'm also starting to think it's true somewhat when it comes to Lost.)

precision posted:

I'm not being smug. Sometimes text is text. When I say that, I am saying "I legitimately did not realize how insanely defensive of Fuller some people are". I've watched every show he's done, and enjoyed them all.

Yeah I don't remember anyone recently in this thread being defensive about Fuller or proclaiming him the God-King of anything. Maybe I missed it though, or maybe you're talking about the American Gods thread I haven't caught up with yet.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I understand that American Gods has already been renewed for another season, which seems confident of them.

Is Gaiman still writing a sequel? I've heard he's been plugging away at American Gods 2 for years, though he's not GRRM level or anything.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

A second season? I hope they have a lot more content than the book in mind, because the book could have easily been half as long.

Longbaugh01 posted:

I'm actually pretty surprised they put that sex scene in the first episode. That kind of took some balls for how weird it can come off to people and potentially turn them completely off (instead of on?) and tap out. There's still a much weirder one coming if I recall correctly, right?

Depends on whether you think fiery ifrit jizz is weirder than being eaten by a vagina

Jack Gladney posted:

The dad from Wonder Years is still alive? Did the final episode say that he died and I just confused fantasy and reality for 20 years?

Yes, probably.

precision posted:

Well, before Hannibal there was Dead Like Me, Pushing Daisies, Wonderfalls, and that one good season of Heroes, so

raditts fucked around with this message at 14:22 on May 2, 2017

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

raditts posted:

A second season? I hope they have a lot more content than the book in mind, because the book could have easily been half as long.

They're pulling material from Anansi Boys (the sorta-sequel) and adding a lot. The first season only covers like 1/3 of the novel. Which, given that the novel is already pretty padded as you say, is a concern.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

X-O posted:

The WGA strike has thankfully been averted as they worked late past the deadline and reached a deal.

The details are kinda vague but I hope they got at least some of what they were angling for.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Maxwell Lord posted:

The details are kinda vague but I hope they got at least some of what they were angling for.

I hope they got what they asked for but honestly I'm also just glad we aren't going to have a strike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

precision posted:

You didn't enjoy them enough, heretic! Do not sully the God King's honour!

• Locked thread