Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Friendo, watch Dark Victory before a year goes by.

Total Recall (1990)
dir. Paul Verhoeven

So many bulging head puppets.

I really enjoyed this, maybe more than Starship Troopers. Rapid paced and fun, I was worried early on that the ending would be that the whole film was the secret agent simulation, but I enjoy the coyness of the ending as it is. Arnold always has a strange screen presence, he never feels like a believable every-man in these roles, but that makes the whole movie feel even more out of whack and bizarre. His hulking figure makes every scene feel like a parody of itself, and I mean that as a compliment.

My List:

Nerves (1919) - German expressionist film that looks cool as heck. (Added 5/16/2016)

The Blood of Jesus (1941) - Spencer Williams' iconic race film. Spike Lee paid homage to it with Da Sweet Blood of Jesus. I've never seen any of these old race films, outside of some documentaries featuring clips. It seems like a fascinating genre worth diving into. (Added 5/25/2016)

The Phantom of Liberty (1974) - This is the oldest entry (by date added) on my 400+ film To-Do List. I recently watched Simon of the Desert and before that it had been years since I'd seen a Bunuel. I need to explore him more. (Added 11/26/2016)

Os Deuses e Os Mortos (1970) - "Of Gods and the Undead." A Brazilian film that is reportedly a favorite of Werner Herzog's. (Added 1/8/2017)

The Viking (1928) - An all technicolor silent about Lief Ericsson. I saw a clip in a documentary years ago and I've had it on my To Do list for years. (Added 1/14/2017)

Cairo Station (1958) - Meant to see this ever since I watched The Story of Film and now FilmStruck has a whole bunch of Youssef Chahine available to stream. (Added 3/1/2017)

As I Was Moving Ahead Occasionally I Saw Brief Glimpses of Beauty (2000) - Another 5-hour movie for the list. I caught a bunch of Jonas Mekas stuff, including a screening of Walden with him in person, at a retrospective recently, but I chickened out of spending my entire Saturday in the theater when this one rolled out. (Added 3/7/2017)

Manchester by the Sea (2016) - Being from Massachusetts I should eventually get around to this one. (Added 3/21/2017)

I Shot Andy Warhol (1996) - Biopic about infamous SCUM Manifesto author Valerie Solanas who shot Andy Warhol. From the director of American Psycho. (Added 4/1/2017)

Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome (1985) - I've seen all of the other films in the series. It always makes me think of that Kimya Dawson song where she talks about being dressed like Tina Turner. (Added 4/8/2017)

Watched: Fort Apache; Damnation; Ran; Ordet; Purple Rain; Häxan: Witchcraft Through the Ages; Napoléon; Yi Yi; Faces; The Blood of a Poet; The War Room; Sanjuro; The Testament of Dr. Mabuse; Your Vice is a Locked Room and Only I Have the Key; Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace; Flooding with Love for the Kid; Soylent Green; The Most Dangerous Game; Street Trash; The Avenging Conscience; The Spook Who Sat By the Door; Bringing Up Baby; The Life of Juanita Castro; The Hour of the Furnaces; Au hasard Balthazar; Surname Viet Given Name Nam; Seconds; My Dinner with Andre; The Thin Man; What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?; All Watched Over By Machines of Loving Grace; The Passion of the Christ; Grand Illusion; Fanny and Alexander; Passages from James Joyce's Finnegans Wake; Starship Troopers; Little Lord Fauntleroy; Last Summer; Total Recall (TOTAL: 40)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
^ Watch Blood of Jesus if you already have access to it, or Mad Max Thunderdome if it's easier to see, there are some very memorable moments in it :)

TrixRabbi posted:

Got any sevens, watch Lonesome which is a beautiful little movie.

Lonesome (1928) - this was a simple but charming story about boy meets girl, but the real star was the technical innovations they were putting on full display. Mixed sound use, including a couple of scenes with full dialogue (and lots of crowd noise which was effective in recreating the chaotic atmosphere of Coney island) as well as some mixed color use and portable cameras - I particularly liked the rollercoaster POV cam. It all comes together into a movie that's still watchable for non-film buffs too.

List:

M (can't go wrong with a classic, right?)

Sky Captain (probably will like, loved The Shadow)

Topsy Turvy (my blindest buy, it's about musical writers? )

The Passion of Joan of Arc - lots of close-ups?

Triple Cross (maybe like Where Eagles Dare?)

Notorious (Hitchcock)

Barry Lyndon

Charlie Countryman

Wrath of the Titans (2012), Clash of the Titans (2010), Clash of the Titans (1981)

discount rack shlock that might be cool, probably terrible video quality from cheap transfers:

Black Cobra (1 or 2 or 3?)
Strike Commando
Fireback
Tiger Joe

got any sevens fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Apr 10, 2017

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

got any sevens posted:

Notorious (Hitchcock)

Certainly a film for buffs non-film buffs as well. Cheers!

Dark Victory
It's so strange whenever I see Bette Davis in an earlier role, because I've watched All About Eve so many times. The innocent vibrant youth she was a decade earlier is a far different woman than the Margo I've associated her with. It's also strange seeing Bogey in a minor role as stable owner Michael O'Leary, associating him, of course, with Rick Blaine in Casablanca. Bette was great here as the physically ill Judith Traherne, stubborn to admit she needs care until Dr Steele shows up, played by George Brent. It's a good film, but understandable why you don't hear much about it in the conversation of all the great 1939 films - "the greatest year in cinema history". While well performed, it does feel minor and would suggest it strictly for fans of Davis as well as Bogey completionists.

LIST

Bringing Up Baby [1938] - (2017.01.21) - absolutely LOVED 'Holiday' w/ Hepburn & Grant, and Grant's birthday just passed.

Dead Man [1995] - (2017.03.19) - I absolutely loved Jarmusch's latest Paterson, and more 90s stuff, besides ones I saw as a kid, would be good.

Fail-Safe [1964] - (2016.11.15) - continuing my goal of being Walter-Matthau-complete.

Hush Hush Sweet Charlotte [1964] - **NEW** (2017.04.09) - replacing an early Bette Davis film with a later one

I Killed My Mother [2009] - (2016.12.29) - loved Dolan's 2014 film Mommy, and my pricey Plain Archive blind-buy remains unwatched..

It Should Happen To You! [1954] - **OLDEST** (2016.09.15) - replacing my previous Jack Lemmon selection with Lemmon's debut film

Rome, Open City [1945] - (2017.02.20) - Rossellini's War Trilogy has been sitting unwatched for too long.. this is the 1st in the trilogy.

Russian Ark [2002] - (2017.03.16) - A film I've always wanted to (& should) watch but it never becomes a high priority

Shane [1953] - (2017.03.11) - having recently watched Logan, it reminded me I've yet to watch this western classic.

Watchmen [2009] - (2017.04.07) - the comic & the film, as I wanted to read the comic before the film since back in '09!

De-shamed Pt2: True Romance (4/5), The Right Stuff (3/5), Syndromes And A Century (4/5), Still Life (3/5), My Cousin Vinny (2.5/5), Doctor Zhivago (3.5/5), The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (4.5/5), Peeping Tom (4/5), Shadow of a Doubt (4.5/5), The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie (4.5/5), Only Angels Have Wings (4/5), Umberto D (4/5), Anatomy of a Murder (4.5/5), Only God Forgives (1.5/5), Missing (3.5/5), Howl's Moving Castle (4.5/5), Rio Bravo (4/5), Cloud Atlas (3.5/5), Children of Paradise (4/5), That Obscure Object of Desire (5/5), The Fountain (3/5), Malcolm X (4/5), Warrior (4/5), American Movie (4/5), Being There (4/5), Leaving Las Vegas (4.5/5), Rope (4/5), Ed Wood (4.5/5), American Hustle (2.5/5), The Man Who Knew Too Much (3.5/5), Mister Roberts (4/5), Charley Varrick (4/5), A Face in the Crowd (4.5/5), Farewell My Concubine (3.5/5), Slacker (3.5/5), Drugstore Cowboy (4.5/5), Love and Death (3.5/5), Fantastic Mr. Fox (4.5/5), A Scanner Darkly (4/5), Marketa Lazarova (5/5), A Clockwork Orange (4.5/5), The Fly (5/5), Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind (5/5), King Kong (5/5), Gilda (3.5/5), Airplane! (4/5), Nobody Knows (4.5/5), Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (4.5/5), Dark Victory (3.5/5), [Total:149]

friendo55 fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Apr 10, 2017

oneforthevine
Sep 25, 2015

friendo55 posted:

Dead Man [1995] - (2017.03.19) - I absolutely loved Jarmusch's latest Paterson, and more 90s stuff, besides ones I saw as a kid, would be good.

I think Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham-Carter are both actively really good in this film, which makes for a pleasant surprise. Hope you enjoy it!

Ixtlilton gave me this one...

Seven Samurai

Well, this is a long film. I think it may be the third-longest I’ve ever seen in a single sitting, behind Das Boot and Heaven’s Gate. I’m not sure anyone’s made this comparison before, but I think it has a lot in common with the latter of those two.

For starters, it’s very much focused on class, particularly the ways a working-class community is forgotten by the world that it works so hard to support. There’s a lot here about the circumstances of being born into this farming community – one particularly nasty character laughingly says “I’m glad I wasn’t born a peasant” – and being trapped by feudal Japan’s class system (“Who ever heard of anything so unfair?” asks one of the farmers about the village’s troubles). In many ways, the film should be called something like “Farmer Uprising,” which Kambei acknowledges at the end. There’s also a sense of realness in both the world itself and the farming community, much like in Heaven’s Gate. This village feels whole and functional – there’s a geography to it that becomes almost second-nature to the viewer by the time of the climactic battle scene in hour three. It’s because Kurosawa spends so much time letting us involve ourselves in the village as a place, I think, that he can cut so wildly between locations in that battle without us getting lost.

Speaking of cutting, the direction here is incredible. At the risk of poaching Tony Zhou’s excellent video essay on Kurosawa, the sense of movement in this film is palpable. The villagers always seem to move as a unit, emphasizing the communal themes of the film and making for engaging backgrounds. The running shots must have been continually undercranked, because they feel superhuman. Even the opening credits are dynamic – the vertical typeface reminded me almost of swords clashing. It’s been said before, but this film was clearly an influence on George Lucas. There’s a vertical wipe towards the beginning that reminded me of the bit in Star Wars where Obi-Wan picks C-3P0 and the scene up at the same time. I think this film’s much better at establishing its stakes and its world than Star Wars is, in part because we know what the bandits are doing wrong from the first scene of the film, unlike the Empire. Also like in Star Wars, the characters here are surprisingly involving. I hated Kukochiyu for much of the film, only to find myself very disheartened when he finally died. Even if I didn’t remember many names, I remembered personalities, which is in many ways more enjoyable.

I should also mention how great the picture quality on the Criterion Blu-Ray is. You can often see the textures on a given character’s bald cap, which to me was charming rather than distracting. The booklet was also very helpful for contextualizing the film in terms of its story and its production.

This probably isn’t a film I’ll revisit any time soon, just because it’s such a time investment, but I really enjoyed it for what it was!

List:
Intimate Lighting (1965) - Krzysztof Kieslowski listed this as one of the ten films that most affected him. If that's not a ringing endorsement, then I don't know what is.
Man with a Movie Camera (1929) - aka Man with the Movie Camera aka The Man with the Movie Camera aka the documentary to end all documentaries
Napoleon (1927) - I've had this since Christmas, but I'd prefer to watch it in one go. Easier said than done, what with it being 5.5 hours and all...
In Vanda's Room (1999) - Another of those "have to block out almost an entire day for it" films.
Pather Panchali (1955) - India is one of my cultural blindspots. I'd like to fix that at some point.
The Battle of Algiers (1967) - Marxist agitprop is always welcome in this house. (ADDED 4/10/2017)
The Calm (1980) - I'm attempting to my way through most of Kieslowksi's back catalog. This is next on my list.
Ali: Fear Eats the Soul (1974) - Sounds amazingly relevant to this day and age, unfortunately.
Ashes and Diamonds (1958) - Supposedly this is one of the masterpieces of realist cinema, Polish or otherwise.
Synecdoche, New York (2008) - A contemporary American film? What's this doing here?

The Watched List: Seven Samurai

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug
^^^
Helena Bonham-Carter isn't in that, but Crispin Glover is :swoon:

oneforthevine
Sep 25, 2015

Crap, I had it conflated with a different Johnny Depp Western. (Which I also like, but not as much as this one.)

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

oneforthevine posted:

Ali: Fear Eats the Soul (1974) - Sounds amazingly relevant to this day and age, unfortunately.

I really enjoyed this one and don't see it listed here too often, so I had to pick it. Cheers!

Dead Man
William Blake, on his way to the town of Machine, to secure his accounting job at Dickinson's Metal Works, will soon find out he's in way over his head. Part neo-noir, part western, part poetry-in-motion. It's incredibly captivating beginning to end, with much thanks to the black & white cinematography and the Neil Young score. It was nearly surreal seeing Robert Mitchum in (I read afterwards) what was his final film role. Had I known he was in this I would've probably watched Dead Man long ago.

LIST

Bringing Up Baby [1938] - (2017.01.21) - absolutely LOVED 'Holiday' w/ Hepburn & Grant, and Grant's birthday just passed.

Fail-Safe [1964] - (2016.11.15) - continuing my goal of being Walter-Matthau-complete.

Happiness [1998] - **NEW** (2017.04.16) - not a 'shameful' choice, but more I won't watch it unless I put it here. And I've heard a lot about it.

Hush Hush Sweet Charlotte [1964] - (2017.04.09) - replacing an early Bette Davis film with a later one

I Killed My Mother [2009] - (2016.12.29) - loved Dolan's 2014 film Mommy, and my pricey Plain Archive blind-buy remains unwatched..

It Should Happen To You! [1954] - **OLDEST** (2016.09.15) - replacing my previous Jack Lemmon selection with Lemmon's debut film

Rome, Open City [1945] - (2017.02.20) - Rossellini's War Trilogy has been sitting unwatched for too long.. this is the 1st in the trilogy.

Russian Ark [2002] - (2017.03.16) - A film I've always wanted to (& should) watch but it never becomes a high priority

Shane [1953] - (2017.03.11) - having recently watched Logan, it reminded me I've yet to watch this western classic.

Watchmen [2009] - (2017.04.07) - the comic & the film, as I wanted to read the comic before the film since back in '09!

De-shamed Pt2: True Romance (4/5), The Right Stuff (3/5), Syndromes And A Century (4/5), Still Life (3/5), My Cousin Vinny (2.5/5), Doctor Zhivago (3.5/5), The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (4.5/5), Peeping Tom (4/5), Shadow of a Doubt (4.5/5), The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie (4.5/5), Only Angels Have Wings (4/5), Umberto D (4/5), Anatomy of a Murder (4.5/5), Only God Forgives (1.5/5), Missing (3.5/5), Howl's Moving Castle (4.5/5), Rio Bravo (4/5), Cloud Atlas (3.5/5), Children of Paradise (4/5), That Obscure Object of Desire (5/5), The Fountain (3/5), Malcolm X (4/5), Warrior (4/5), American Movie (4/5), Being There (4/5), Leaving Las Vegas (4.5/5), Rope (4/5), Ed Wood (4.5/5), American Hustle (2.5/5), The Man Who Knew Too Much (3.5/5), Mister Roberts (4/5), Charley Varrick (4/5), A Face in the Crowd (4.5/5), Farewell My Concubine (3.5/5), Slacker (3.5/5), Drugstore Cowboy (4.5/5), Love and Death (3.5/5), Fantastic Mr. Fox (4.5/5), A Scanner Darkly (4/5), Marketa Lazarova (5/5), A Clockwork Orange (4.5/5), The Fly (5/5), Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind (5/5), King Kong (5/5), Gilda (3.5/5), Airplane! (4/5), Nobody Knows (4.5/5), Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (4.5/5), Dark Victory (3.5/5), Dead Man (4.5/5), [Total:150]

friendo55 fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Apr 21, 2017

Dmitri Russkie
Feb 13, 2008

friendo55, Haven't seen any on your list. I am picking Shane for you.

Just saw V For Vendetta. Decent movie and good action. Seems to have a lot to say about government and oppression. Impressive how emotion can be displayed even though one character wears a mask throughout the movie. Good cinematography. Not sure how I feel about V, though. While I agree that the government needed to be overthrown, I'm not sure that the outcome was ideal. There seems to be no plan for the future, or who will govern them. As much as government can be corrupt and oppressive, it is probably a necessary evil. I can see a lot of the people who participated in the revolution having buyer's remorse the next morning.

My List:
The Shootist - Feel like it's time for another John Wayne movie.

The Fast and the Furious- Haven't seen any of these films, and I haven't heard good things about them. I'll give the first one a try, though.

Faust - Looking forward to another Murnau film.

Reds - Don't know much about this movie.

A Day at the Races - More Marx Brothers madness, please.

The Cat Returns - Need to see some more Studio Ghibli. Sequel to Whisper of the Heart

Dodesukaden - Starting to run out of Kurosawa films. What a great director.

Seven Brides for Seven Brothers - This is one of my grandmothers favorite movies. I haven't seen it yet. OLDEST

King Kong(1933)

Strangers on a Train - More Hitchcock here. Newest

King Creole - Adding a new slot here for Elvis, Sinatra, Beatles movies. Starting with one of Elvis'.

Movies Seen: Seven Samurai, Dune, Singin' in the Rain, Animal Crackers, Once Upon a Time in the West, Amadeus, Double Indemnity, The Day the Earth Stood Still, 12 Angry Men, Ed Wood, Sunset Boulevard, The Dark Knight, Plan 9 From Outer Space, Brazil, Rashomon, Yojimbo, No Country For Old Men, There Will Be Blood, M, Duck Soup, The Princess and the Frog, Sanjuro, The Hidden Fortress, Dracula, It's a Wonderful Life, Lawrence of Arabia, Ikiru, High and Low, Frankenstein, The Mummy, Monty Python's The Meaning of Life, Kagemusha, Best In Show, Modern Times, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, Red Beard, Monty Python's The Life of Brian, Cars, Cool Hand Luke, The Public Enemy, Time Bandits, Adaptation, The Producers, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Gone With The Wind, My Fair Lady, City Lights, A Christmas Carol(1951), Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke, West Side Story, Caddyshack, My Neighbor Totoro, Throne of Blood, The Phantom of the Opera, Yellow Submarine, Little Caesar, The Third Man, The Godfather, Persepolis, The Godfather Part II, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, The Invisible Man, The Adventures of Robin Hood, The Bridge on the River Kwai, A Beautiful Mind, The Kid, Fiddler on the Roof, The Gold Rush, Metropolis, Rear Window, Enter the Dragon, Horse Feathers, The Great Dictator, Despicable Me, The Bad Sleep Well, The Wolf Man, Nosferatu, Patton, Howl's Moving Castle, The King and I, The Man Who Knew Too Much, Kiki's Delivery Service, The King's Speech, Grave of the Fireflies, Porco Rosso, Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, The Graduate, Whisper of the Heart, The 39 Steps, Ran, Notorious, True Grit, North By Northwest, Rope, Dersu Uzala, Vertigo, Avatar, Gangs of New York, House of Wax, Wall Street, Life of Pi, The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari,The Big Lebowski, Dial M for Murder, V For Vendetta

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Dmitri Russkie, see King Kong.

The Blood of Jesus (1941)
dir. Spencer Williams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XyoGh0Ga3M

The Blood of Jesus is a rather simple movie. It's a religious parable about a young woman who dies after her husband accidentally shoots her while laying down his shotgun. After a lengthy scene of prayer around her deathbed, the woman passes and an angel appears to take her soul to the afterlife. The angel tells her to follow a path through the countryside to get to Heaven, but to be wary of temptation along the way. Of course, Satan has other plans and employs a huckster named Judas Green to corrupt her by taking her to a nightclub. Ultimately, the angel reappears and the woman escapes to salvation where she is greeted by the voice of Christ.

At just under an hour, the film is quite simple in its moral message. But it's the spectral visuals and editing that make the movie what it is. Spiritual imagery is abound in this movie, with angels and devils appearing all over the place. Williams, most famous as Andy of Amos 'n Andy, was a prolific director of low budget "race films" such as this that played only to segregated black audiences, typically in the cities. This film was one of his most personal and unique works, made for $5000 in the foothills of Texas, wearing the shortcomings of its independent production as character and atmosphere.

My List:

Nerves (1919) - German expressionist film that looks cool as heck. (Added 5/16/2016)

The Phantom of Liberty (1974) - This is the oldest entry (by date added) on my 400+ film To-Do List. I recently watched Simon of the Desert and before that it had been years since I'd seen a Bunuel. I need to explore him more. (Added 11/26/2016)

Os Deuses e Os Mortos (1970) - "Of Gods and the Undead." A Brazilian film that is reportedly a favorite of Werner Herzog's. (Added 1/8/2017)

The Viking (1928) - An all technicolor silent about Lief Ericsson. I saw a clip in a documentary years ago and I've had it on my To Do list for years. (Added 1/14/2017)

Cairo Station (1958) - Meant to see this ever since I watched The Story of Film and now FilmStruck has a whole bunch of Youssef Chahine available to stream. (Added 3/1/2017)

As I Was Moving Ahead Occasionally I Saw Brief Glimpses of Beauty (2000) - Another 5-hour movie for the list. I caught a bunch of Jonas Mekas stuff, including a screening of Walden with him in person, at a retrospective recently, but I chickened out of spending my entire Saturday in the theater when this one rolled out. (Added 3/7/2017)

Manchester by the Sea (2016) - Being from Massachusetts I should eventually get around to this one. (Added 3/21/2017)

I Shot Andy Warhol (1996) - Biopic about infamous SCUM Manifesto author Valerie Solanas who shot Andy Warhol. From the director of American Psycho. (Added 4/1/2017)

Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome (1985) - I've seen all of the other films in the series. It always makes me think of that Kimya Dawson song where she talks about being dressed like Tina Turner. (Added 4/8/2017)

The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (1948) - Starring the Humphr! If only that guy had a better nickname. (Added 4/19/2017)

Watched: Fort Apache; Damnation; Ran; Ordet; Purple Rain; Häxan: Witchcraft Through the Ages; Napoléon; Yi Yi; Faces; The Blood of a Poet; The War Room; Sanjuro; The Testament of Dr. Mabuse; Your Vice is a Locked Room and Only I Have the Key; Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace; Flooding with Love for the Kid; Soylent Green; The Most Dangerous Game; Street Trash; The Avenging Conscience; The Spook Who Sat By the Door; Bringing Up Baby; The Life of Juanita Castro; The Hour of the Furnaces; Au hasard Balthazar; Surname Viet Given Name Nam; Seconds; My Dinner with Andre; The Thin Man; What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?; All Watched Over By Machines of Loving Grace; The Passion of the Christ; Grand Illusion; Fanny and Alexander; Passages from James Joyce's Finnegans Wake; Starship Troopers; Little Lord Fauntleroy; Last Summer; Total Recall;The Blood of Jesus (TOTAL: 41)

TrixRabbi fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Apr 20, 2017

the_tasman_series
Apr 20, 2017
Hi, I'm new here.

TrixRabbi, I'm afraid to say that I haven't seen a single one on your list. That being said, please watch I Shot Andy Warhol on the basis of: I dislike Andy Warhol.

My list:

1. Flesh+Blood: I've heard it's an artfully themed and gritty medieval movie, and it sounds very intriguing, but I'm having a hard time locating it without spending any money... Paul Verhoeven's first in English.

2. Escape From New York: it's on netflix. Not sure if it's exactly "greatest" but I heard it was good entertainment.

3. Bonnie and Clyde: I've only seen Missouri Breaks from Arthur Penn and loved it - and this one's more canon, so maybe I'll also love it.

4. Scarface

5. 7 Samurai: Classic

6. The King of Comedy: I've never seen a Scorsese movie from before this decade, which makes me uncultured swine, or 19. Heard this was an outlier in Marty's filmography so I figure might as well check this one out first.

7. Jackie Brown: I think this and grindhouse/death proof is the only Tarantino I've yet to see.

8. Paths of Glory: Classic.

9. The Fury: it's on netflix right now, and I like the director

10. Blow-Up: I've seen Blow Out, so now it's time for:

the_tasman_series fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Apr 21, 2017

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Start here.

The Emigrants - Set in 1840s Sweden it covers the life of some farmers and their troubles with crops, religion and work abuse. Eventually Karl Oskar (Max von Sydow) has enough and starts screaming at God over his misfortunes. Then his barn burns down after a lightning strike.

Tragedy is the impetus to leave for America but it's something that travels with him (and his family/friends) as well. They endure many hardships through the trek (and on the boat) and witness many burials at sea. So much attrition due to health issues.

Another reason to pack up and leave are Sweden's overbearing laws and religions of the time. Entrenched within the state church the leaders and landowners are abusing their powers in a variety of ways.

The film focuses a lot on the struggles of moving to a new country. Struggles with English and cultural confusion. Also, the wonderment the characters have for many things: trains, boats, fresh produce in the USA etc.

It's 3+ hours long so there's a lot of character development I haven't touched. While it's a century off I'm reminded of the song "America" by Simon & Garfunkel. No matter how many complaints there are about things going on in the modern US...millions of people still want to come here as their countries are even in worse shape. It was the same way back then.

The film concludes with the settlers finding abundant and suitable farmland. I'd say if you like Dersu Uzala you'll probably like this one. There's a sequel called The New Land so I'll watch that one later too.

Procrastination (246 completed):

#239 The War of the Gargantuas - Election season 2016. 10/16/16

#242 The Saragossa Manuscript - I started watching this once and realized it was one of those bastardly DVDs in the incorrect aspect ratio. 11/17/16

#244 On Golden Pond - Henry Fonda's last role. 11/26/16

#249 Night Moves - Supposedly an underwatched one. 3/14/17

James Bond versus Godzilla (24/58 completed):

new Godzilla vs. Hedorah - Godzilla vs. pollution. 4/20/17

Golden Raspberry Award for Worst Picture (38/40 completed):

Gene Siskel's Top Films 1969-1998 (28/30 completed):

1981 Ragtime - I'm guessing this will have some piano music. 1/15/17

1978 Straight Time - Haven't heard much about this one. 3/14/17

TCM: The Essentials: 52 Must-See Movies (46/52 completed):

42nd Street - I've heard of the title but not much else. 4/1/17

Now, Voyager - A Bette Davis film. 4/1/17

Winchester ’73 - Something about a rifle. 4/7/17

the_tasman_series
Apr 20, 2017

Zogo posted:

#249 Night Moves - Supposedly an underwatched one. 3/14/17

Soon to not be underwatched. By you, at least.

and thanks for picking this one.
Scarface.

Ok, first of all, instead of sleeping for 8 hours last night, I watched Scarface and slept 5. I think it was worth it.

Going in, I had thought that the movie was entirely about a kingpin who starts as a kingpin and then falls, when it's actually mostly about climbing the corporate ladder. As it turned out, the beginning of the rise was my favorite part - the extremely bloody chainsaw shower bit took me extremely by surprise, and I loved that it was followed up by the extremely bloodless, small-talky scene with the drug boss as soft capitalist. I was also very surprised that Pacino played the character goofy sometimes. It fit in well with his image for like half the movie as a kind of ugly, diminutive guy in a lovely suit, following taller, better dressed and more handsome gangsters.

The ending didn't disappoint, either.

As the rapper Desiigner once said, "I'm going out like Montana."

LIST
1. (Verhoeven Slot) Flesh+Blood: I've heard it's an artfully themed and gritty medieval movie, and it sounds very intriguing, but I'm having a hard time locating it without spending any money... Paul Verhoeven's first in English.

2. Escape From New York: it's on netflix. I heard that it was good entertainment.

3. Bonnie and Clyde: I've only seen Missouri Breaks from Arthur Penn's filmography and loved it - and this one's more canon, so maybe I'll also love it.

4. To Catch A Thief: I actually have watched this one before, along with another hitchcock one that involves planes(??) but was too intoxicated to remember very much at all. Anyways, it's on netflix.

5. 7 Samurai: Apparently classic.

6. The King of Comedy: I've never seen a Scorsese movie from before Shutter Island. This is because I'm uncultured, and 19.

7. Jackie Brown: I think this and grindhouse/death proof is the only Tarantino I've yet to see.

8. Paths of Glory: Classic. My dad bought this on DVD but never took it out of the wrapper.

9. The Fury: it's on netflix right now, and I like the Mr. De Palma.

10. Blow-Up: I've seen Blow Out, so now it's time for...

Irreshameable: Scarface (1)

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

the_tasman_series posted:

6. The King of Comedy: I've never seen a Scorsese movie from before Shutter Island. This is because I'm uncultured, and 19.

#2 for you.

I just got this one in the mail so it was a timely pick.

Night Moves - Gene Hackman plays a strong-armed private investigator who's sidetracked by a cheating wife and some other nefarious characters.

It's a fast-paced crazy ride and has some decent twists. I won't go into the story too much but it's a good smattering of James Bond films, The Long Goodbye, The Big Sleep and Cat on a Hot Tin Roof.

Seeing a very young Melanie Griffith was also a surprise.

Procrastination (247 completed):

#242 The Saragossa Manuscript - I started watching this once and realized it was one of those bastardly DVDs in the incorrect aspect ratio. 11/17/16

Godzilla vs. Hedorah - Godzilla vs. pollution. 4/20/17

TCM: The Essentials: 52 Must-See Movies (46/52 completed):

42nd Street - I've heard of the title but not much else. 4/1/17

new Meet Me in St. Louis - I know Judy Garland is in this one. 4/21/17

the_tasman_series
Apr 20, 2017

Zogo posted:

Aftermath of the War of the Gargantuas = first hundred days? (watch this.)

The King of Comedy was occasionally really uncomfortable to watch. Seeing like three characters slowly, slowly realize that Rupert/De Niro is an obsessed weirdo while he refuses to let go of his delusions was pretty painful. I don't think I've ever felt that embarrassed for a movie character. So that was unique and also really watchable.

Besides that, the fantasy sequences were pretty funny, as was "I hope you get cancer!" as was the whole last act. Pretty solid movie overall.

LIST
1. (Verhoeven Slot) Flesh+Blood: I've heard it's an artfully themed and gritty medieval movie, and it sounds very intriguing, but I'm having a hard time locating it without spending any money... Paul Verhoeven's first in English.

2. (Scorsese Slot)Taxi Driver A title from a man who clearly had no foresight wrt app-based public transportation.

3. Escape From New York: it's on netflix. They guy has an eyepatch? That's pretty wacky.

4. Bonnie and Clyde: I've only seen Missouri Breaks from Arthur Penn's filmography and loved it - and this one's more canon, so maybe I'll also love it.

5. To Catch A Thief: I actually have watched this one before, along with another hitchcock one that involves planes(?North by Northwest?) but was too intoxicated to remember very much at all. Anyways, it's on netflix.

6. Seven Samurai: Apparently classic.

8. Paths of Glory: Classic. My dad bought this on DVD but never took it out of the wrapper.

9. The Fury: it's on netflix right now, and I like De Palma.

Irreshameable: Scarface; The King of Comedy (2)

the_tasman_series fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Apr 23, 2017

oneforthevine
Sep 25, 2015

2. (Scorsese Slot)Taxi Driver A title from a man who clearly had no foresight wrt app-based public transportation.

I hate to give you another Scorsese film so soon, but you really have to see this movie. It's got one of the best uses of a pop song in all of cinema and is worth it for that scene alone.

friendo55 gave me Ali: Fear Eats the Soul:

A middle-aged Moroccan man and an elderly German woman meet, fall in love, and find that racism is both insidious and subtle. On the surface, not a tremendously new plot. But Fassbinder makes Ali: Fear Eats the Soul surprisingly engaging nonetheless.

I was particularly struck by the translation of Ali’s broken German into similarly broken English. I wonder how someone would approach that – trying to encapsulate the complexities of a particular dialect or pidgin must be a difficult task. Even the title is mistranslated; it should be more along the lines of “Fear Eats Soul Up.” My rudimentary German skills also kicked in at a key point: I noted that it would be interesting if Ali switched from using “sie” (the formal “you”) to using “du” (the familiar “you”) when talking to Emmi. Sure enough, the change occurred in the next scene, after a key romantic moment between the two main characters. English doesn’t really allow for this particular complexity, but it’s a lovely moment that Germans would almost certainly have picked up on immediately.

I was right that this film has an unfortunate relevance to today’s world. Ali’s remarks that “Arabs not human in Germany” and a reference to an “event” (one assumes a terrorist attack or something like it) in Munich (I didn’t do any research to see if that was meant to be anything specific – I almost prefer it to be some nebulous, undefined thing) call to mind events as recent as the terrorist attack in France and remind us that scapegoating people of other races is nothing new.

The film is, in many ways, a sort of parable in its timelessness. Like those biblical stories, it moves very quickly, often jumping ahead weeks or months with little indication. Were it not for the second half, I’d say the film was almost wholly unconcerned with the interior ups and downs of Emmi and Ali’s relationship, instead focusing on the reactions of the world around them. We shouldn’t care why their relationship works, only that it does. (As I said, things shift heavily in the back half of the film, but I didn’t take as many notes there; I was too absorbed.)

Good stuff. I could see myself recommending this one to friends or family.

List:
Intimate Lighting (1965) - Krzysztof Kieslowski listed this as one of the ten films that most affected him. If that's not a ringing endorsement, then I don't know what is.
Man with a Movie Camera (1929) - aka Man with the Movie Camera aka The Man with the Movie Camera aka the documentary to end all documentaries
Napoleon (1927) - I've had this since Christmas, but I'd prefer to watch it in one go. Easier said than done, what with it being 5.5 hours and all...
In Vanda's Room (1999) - Another of those "have to block out almost an entire day for it" films.
Pather Panchali (1955) - India is one of my cultural blindspots. I'd like to fix that at some point.
The Battle of Algiers (1967) - Marxist agitprop is always welcome in this house. (ADDED 4/10/2017)
The Calm (1980) - I'm attempting to my way through most of Kieslowksi's back catalog. This is next on my list.
Putney Swope (1969) - I've had the Robert Downey Sr. Eclipse set for a while; it's about time I dig into it. (ADDED 4/23/2017)
Ashes and Diamonds (1958) - Supposedly this is one of the masterpieces of realist cinema, Polish or otherwise.
Synecdoche, New York (2008) - A contemporary American film? What's this doing here?

The Watched List: Seven Samurai, Ali: Fear Eats the Soul

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Tasman, have some fun and watch Jackie Brown.

I Shot Andy Warhol (1996)
dir. Mary Harron

When Valerie Solanas shot Andy Warhol on May 31, 1968, it was not a political act. In a year rife with assassinations and riots, and coming from a radical anti-male feminist, Solanas' act of violence was personal -- motivated by anger and delusion, stemming from undiagnosed schizophrenia and a possible traumatic childhood of sexual abuse.

Solanas, the author of the SCUM Manifesto (Society for Cutting Up Men), had wanted Warhol to produce a play she had written titled "Up Your rear end" as a film. For months she repeatedly went to Warhol's famous Factory space, and when it became clear Warhol had no intention of doing anything with the script she demanded he give it back (he lost it). His attempts to ignore and avoid Solanas ended in her becoming increasingly unhinged and convinced of a conspiracy to steal and control her work, prompting her to ultimately take a gun (depicted in the film as being lifted off a counterculture revolutionary, though some say she bought it) and shoot Warhol. Warhol survived, traumatized and never the same, while Solanas turned herself in and was eventually admitted into psychiatric care.

Many different interpretations of Solanas' assassination attempt exist. At the time, her shooting splintered the feminist org N.O.W., whose members disagreed over whether Solanas' actions should be celebrated or condemned. Some people saw the act as the ultimate piece of avant-garde art (an analysis that makes Solanas something of a prototype for Divine's Dawn Devenport in Female Trouble) while others have compared her to the unique breed of unhinged but intellectual political terrorist that puts her in the company of the Unabomber.

But I stand by my assessment that this was not a political act, nor was it an artistic act. It was an illness, the kind of violence that comes from a dangerous mental instability. Solanas' actions didn't exist in a vacuum of course, her life was informed and oppressed by the laws of patriarchy that led her to rely on men who ultimately use, abuse, and dismiss her. But her attack on Warhol was personal, the result of someone who was alone and erratic.

My List:

The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (1948) - Starring the Humphr! If only that guy had a better nickname. (Added 4/19/2017)

Ciao! Manhattan (1972) - Another Warhol star, featuring Edie Sedgwick shortly before she died and released posthumously. (Added 4/23/2017)

Watched: Fort Apache; Damnation; Ran; Ordet; Purple Rain; Häxan: Witchcraft Through the Ages; Napoléon; Yi Yi; Faces; The Blood of a Poet; The War Room; Sanjuro; The Testament of Dr. Mabuse; Your Vice is a Locked Room and Only I Have the Key; Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace; Flooding with Love for the Kid; Soylent Green; The Most Dangerous Game; Street Trash; The Avenging Conscience; The Spook Who Sat By the Door; Bringing Up Baby; The Life of Juanita Castro; The Hour of the Furnaces; Au hasard Balthazar; Surname Viet Given Name Nam; Seconds; My Dinner with Andre; The Thin Man; What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?; All Watched Over By Machines of Loving Grace; The Passion of the Christ; Grand Illusion; Fanny and Alexander; Passages from James Joyce's Finnegans Wake; Starship Troopers; Little Lord Fauntleroy; Last Summer; Total Recall; The Blood of Jesus; I Shot Andy Warhol (TOTAL: 42)

oneforthevine
Sep 25, 2015

TrixRabbi, I hate to be the bearer of bad news (especially because your I Shot Andy Warhol review was so good), but I think you skipped a post. :)

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

oneforthevine posted:

Ali’s remarks that “Arabs not human in Germany” and a reference to an “event” (one assumes a terrorist attack or something like it) in Munich (I didn’t do any research to see if that was meant to be anything specific – I almost prefer it to be some nebulous, undefined thing)

You've probably heard of the event they're referring to, even if only in passing. Spielberg made an entire film about it.

oneforthevine
Sep 25, 2015

Samuel Clemens posted:

You've probably heard of the event they're referring to, even if only in passing. Spielberg made an entire film about it.

Ah, you're right. For whatever reason, I'd placed the movie as later than it was.

the_tasman_series
Apr 20, 2017

oneforthevine posted:

TrixRabbi, I hate to be the bearer of bad news (especially because your I Shot Andy Warhol review was so good), but I think you skipped a post. :)

Hey Oneforthevine, unless TrixRabbi shows up and recs one for you, how about you let me pick

Synecdoche

'cause it's a good one, and I'll take both films? How does that strike you?

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Oops, sorry I had the post window open for a while and missed that. If you haven't already started watching Synecdoche go instead for Putney Swope which is one of my all-time favorite comedies. Synecdoche is good too, but I can't pass a chance to recommend Putney Swope.

TrixRabbi fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Apr 24, 2017

Ixtlilton
Mar 10, 2012

How to Draw
by Rube Goldberg

TrixRabbi, you get to watch Manchester By The Sea because it's the only one on your list I've seen.

I watched Dr. Strangelove, and what a hugely influential movie. I knew the guy on the bomb was a part of the movie and I've seen the .gifs of it but I had no idea the whole “I do not ignore women, but I do deny them my essence” thing was from it. I could see a lot of some of the generals in other characters, the general who talked about the fluoridation of water and his bodily fluids really reminded me of the demeanor of the [spoilers] guy in Apocalypse Now who had the surfer guy surf during an artillery barrage[/spoilers]. Not to mention the commentary on the cold war and how similar the sides felt in their lofty top positions and disdain for one another. The Dr. himself was a great character and I really enjoyed the acting of really everyone. I feel like I could easily write a paragraph out of each of those last two sentences, but it's late and I want to go read a book for a bit and chill with my cats for an hour before bed so I'm gonna wrap this up.

It wasn't really laugh out loud funny at many points, but really entertaining, highly memorable and well worth the watch. A very solid movie, I give it a 92/100 because that's my new scoring.

The List of Shame:

Doctor Zhivago: Let's keep this guy's movies coming.

The Dawn Patrol: A movie about fighter pilots in WWI, seems cool to me.

Cool Hand Luke: A cool dude with a good, if expensive, brand of food.

Tokyo Story: A classic I've never gotten around to seeing.

The American Astronaut: Goons in the "I saw a film" thread seem to like this one.

Gates of Heaven: I heard this was (one of?) Roger Ebert's favorite movies about mortality. R.I.P. big guy .

Princess Mononoko: I feel like this is the only Miyazaki I haven't seen.

Beasts Of No Nation: African child soldiers seem like a good thing to watch a movie about, don't you think?

The Act of Killing: It looks like a very interesting documentary, in case you want me to watch something emotionally charged.

Like Stars on Earth: Found this looking through imdb, could be good!

De-shamed(22): The Thin Red Line(8/10), Casablanca(9/10), Lawrence of Arabia(9.5/10), For a Few Dollars More(7.5/10), Goodfellas (4/10), The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly (7.5/10), Stalker (8/10), Battleship Potemkin (6/10), Starship Troopers (6.5/10), Blade Runner (7.5/10), The Godfather: Part II (9/10), Se7en (7/10), The Boondock Saints (2.5/10), Space Mutiny(MST3k) (8/10), The Bridge on the River Kwai (8.5/10), Enter The Dragon (7.5/10), Rubber(1.5/10), Lost in Translation (5.5/10), A Fistful of Dollars (7/10), One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (8/10), Rosemary's Baby (B-), Dr. Strangelove (92)

the_tasman_series
Apr 20, 2017

Ixtlilton posted:

Gates of Heaven: I heard this was (one of?) Roger Ebert's favorite movies about mortality. R.I.P. big guy .

I've only seen a teeny bit of this movie, but I have a strong feeling that you'll like it, Ixtilton.

Reviews:

Taxi Driver. I knew a little bit about this movie, that it was about an alienated and lonely cab driver, but I wasn't expecting the alienation to be so tied up in emasculation and De Niro/Travis' feeble struggles against it. The scene that really hit that home for me was when Travis buys the guns off the salesman. The camera lingers for so, so long on the incredibly phallic barrel of this big rear end gun. Yet in the shootout at the end of the move, the colt gets fired just one time, taking off someone's hand and not even netting Travis a kill before he has to drop it. Even when he invests money and desperation, he can't not be emasculated.

And the way that emasculation manifests in his social interactions was fascinating - like how he dislikes, hates or tries to kill all the men associated with either the campaign worker or the child prostitute, or the sort of impotently possessive-yet-"chivalrous" way he talks to women, or how he's sheepish in front of his male peers, or how he seeks the advice of an older guy but can't even express how he feels. I can definitely see shades of Travis in things I've done personally or seen other people do. I think that puts this film in the category of films which have a feminist viewpoint but aren't focused on women. (much like Verhoeven likes to do, my personal favorite director.)

Overall, this was a slow burn film for me - I liked it a lot while watching, wasn't completely blown away, but I've been thinking about it quite a bit since. Granted it's only been two days, but I think I'll revisit it before long.

Jackie Brown. This was my poo poo. I like pulpy movies, I like pulpy funk n soul, I like snappy dialogue, I like watching drugs and sex and guns going off onscreen. I really liked Sam Jackson going "is that rutger hauer?" at the screen, and that line having no bearing on the plot whatsoever. It was a lot of fricken fun.

This film was a fast burn - I loved it while watching but haven't thought a lot about it since. Good movie, and kind of a departure from Tarantino's other movies in a way that I can't quite put my finger on. Perhaps it was more relaxed and less bloody than is usual. I can't believe I'm saying that about a movie that has 4? shootings in it.

LIST:

2. (Scorsese Slot)Mean Streets Going back to an earlier Scorsese. I understand this one has a DIY feel to it. I'm interested to see what that's like.

3. Escape From New York: it's on netflix. They guy has an eyepatch? That's pretty wacky.

4. Bonnie and Clyde: I've only seen Missouri Breaks from Arthur Penn's filmography and loved it - and this one's more canon, so maybe I'll also love it.

5. To Catch A Thief: I actually have watched this one before, along with another hitchcock one that involves planes(?North by Northwest?) but was too intoxicated to remember very much at all. Anyways, it's on netflix, but not for long.

7. The Third Man: One of a handful of all-time classics on Netflix. I don't think I've seen much classic noir, but I sure as hell love its more recent derivatives.

Irreshameable: Scarface; The King of Comedy; Taxi Driver; Jackie Brown (4)

the_tasman_series fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Apr 25, 2017

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Jackie Brown. This was my poo poo. I like pulpy movies, I like pulpy funk n soul, I like snappy dialogue, I like watching drugs and sex and guns going off onscreen. I really liked Sam Jackson going "is that rutger hauer?" at the screen, and that line having no bearing on the plot whatsoever. It was a lot of fricken fun.

This film was a fast burn - I loved it while watching but haven't thought a lot about it since. Good movie, and kind of a departure from Tarantino's other movies in a way that I can't quite put my finger on. Perhaps it was more relaxed and less bloody than is usual. I can't believe I'm saying that about a movie that has 4? shootings in it.

I love Jackie Brown - it's the only movie Tarantino adapted from a previous work, a book by Elmore Leonard named Rum Punch. Having that not-Tarantino guidance really changes the shape of it.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

7. The Third Man: One of a handful of all-time classics on Netflix. I don't think I've seen much classic noir, but I sure as hell love its more recent derivatives.

I couldn't pass up the chance to give this to you. Enjoy one of my all time favourites - and I know I'm not alone.

Shane

This film reminded me of something like Douglas Sirk's All That Heaven Allows, in both it's confidence and pacing, as well as the landscapes and warm feeling throughout - it felt melodramatic and soapy in certain ways. The poster even calls it "the greatest story of the west ever filmed!" which speaks to what George Stevens and Paramount thought of this striking Technicolor film. All that aside, it does deserve the praise showered upon it, and I'm glad Logan got me to finally put it on. Van Heflin was great as always as the family rancher Joe Starrett - I remember first seeing him in 1951's The Prowler. Even the little son Joey wasn't too irritating which can be the case in older films where some stagey Broadway techniques are more visible.

LIST

Broadcast News [1987] - **NEW** (2017.04.24) - I've heard nothing but great things, plus I just realized Jack Nicholson is in this.

Happiness [1998] - (2017.04.16) - not a 'shameful' choice, but more I won't watch it unless I put it here. And I've heard a lot about it.

Hush Hush Sweet Charlotte [1964] - (2017.04.09) - replacing an early Bette Davis film with a later one

De-shamed Pt2: True Romance (4/5), The Right Stuff (3/5), Syndromes And A Century (4/5), Still Life (3/5), My Cousin Vinny (2.5/5), Doctor Zhivago (3.5/5), The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (4.5/5), Peeping Tom (4/5), Shadow of a Doubt (4.5/5), The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie (4.5/5), Only Angels Have Wings (4/5), Umberto D (4/5), Anatomy of a Murder (4.5/5), Only God Forgives (1.5/5), Missing (3.5/5), Howl's Moving Castle (4.5/5), Rio Bravo (4/5), Cloud Atlas (3.5/5), Children of Paradise (4/5), That Obscure Object of Desire (5/5), The Fountain (3/5), Malcolm X (4/5), Warrior (4/5), American Movie (4/5), Being There (4/5), Leaving Las Vegas (4.5/5), Rope (4/5), Ed Wood (4.5/5), American Hustle (2.5/5), The Man Who Knew Too Much (3.5/5), Mister Roberts (4/5), Charley Varrick (4/5), A Face in the Crowd (4.5/5), Farewell My Concubine (3.5/5), Slacker (3.5/5), Drugstore Cowboy (4.5/5), Love and Death (3.5/5), Fantastic Mr. Fox (4.5/5), A Scanner Darkly (4/5), Marketa Lazarova (5/5), A Clockwork Orange (4.5/5), The Fly (5/5), Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind (5/5), King Kong (5/5), Gilda (3.5/5), Airplane! (4/5), Nobody Knows (4.5/5), Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (4.5/5), Dark Victory (3.5/5), Dead Man (4.5/5), Shane (4/5), [Total:151]

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

gohuskies posted:

I love Jackie Brown - it's the only movie Tarantino adapted from a previous work, a book by Elmore Leonard named Rum Punch. Having that not-Tarantino guidance really changes the shape of it.

I honestly think it's his best movie. He forgoes a lot of his gimmicks and some of the actual characters seem real as opposed to the caricatures he usually creates. I think he must have been burned by the relatively small success, compared to his other movies, and hasn't gone back to that style of film. It's a shame because he's a hell of a director when he wants to be. I see flashes of it in most of his movies but it's never maintained and his gimmicks always take me out of the immersion of the worlds he creates.

the_tasman_series
Apr 20, 2017

friendo55 posted:

Please enjoy this, the second most famous M.A.D movie from 1964.

And thank you for

The Third Man.

I watched this in three chunks throughout the day, and maybe that did the film a little disservice. Nevertheless, the movie was pretty enjoyable. I really liked the visuals: the off kilter camera, ferris ride, and final chase sequence were standouts, as was that glorious long shot as Valli/Anna walked down the road and out of frame. In fact, the whole last act seemed pretty timeless.

I couldn't really suss out if the movie was concerned with any themes - perhaps someone here has insight into why names and mistaken names were featured so prominently?

All in all, I liked the movie, but unfortunately I find it kind of hard to get into movies from before 1970 or so. They tend to feel somehow sanitized - even this one, which had its share of grit - and consequently, don't grab me by the throat. I feel as if I can only enjoy them on certain levels and not others.
Anyways...

LIST:

2. (Scorsese Slot)Mean Streets Going back to an earlier Scorsese. I understand this one has a DIY feel to it. I'm interested to see what that's like.

5. To Catch A Thief: I actually have watched this one before, along with another hitchcock one that involves planes(?North by Northwest?) but was too intoxicated to remember very much at all. Anyways, it's on netflix, but not for long.

7. The Panic in Needle Park: I'm ready to see Al Pacino get into a more hip drug scene after 'Scarface'

Irreshameable: Scarface; The King of Comedy; Taxi Driver; Jackie Brown; The Third Man (5)

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

I don't want you to get assigned pre-1970 movies twice in a row if you struggle with them, so go for Escape from New York next.

I saw my shame movie pretty soon after it was assigned, but then I forgot I watched it for the thread. Evil Dead 2 was the platonic ideal of a horror-comedy. Lots of camp, lots of fun camera work, and another example of the "character tries to do a badass movie line, but gets self-conscious and fucks it up" trope I'm really coming to appreciate.

My Shame List:

1) Rio Grande: Another Ford/Wayne western for the western slot. (added 12/7/13)

2) La Dolce Vita: 8 1/2 was good. How about another Fellini? (added 1/4/14)

3) Birth of a Nation: Continuing the "know thy enemy" series. (added 3/11/14)

4) Night of the Hunter: Don't know much about this beyond the knuckle tattoos. (added 5/5/14)

5) Eyes Wide Shut: Kubrick is a pretty cool guy. (added 7/7/14)

6) First Blood: Not what you'd expect from a Rambo movie, apparently. (added 7/20/14)

7) Scarface: The inspirational story of a small businessman who prospers in spite of Big Government regulations. Or something. (added 7/20/14)

8) Superman: The original. I can't explain how I never saw this. (added 8/2/2016)

9) House (1977): Has a cool poster and a reputation. I have intentionally avoided knowing anything about it, since it seems like the kind of movie to watch completely blind. (added 8/2/2016)

10) The Act of Killing: I know the premise, but it sounds like something that needs to be seen to be understood. (added 4/29/17)

De-Shamed (53) [Top picks in bold]: The Thing, Casino Royale, Blue Velvet, Metropolis, Unforgiven, The Rock, Jurassic Park, Glengarry Glen Ross, The Shining, Videodrome, Inglourious Basterds, Battleship Potemkin, Con Air, Mulholland Drive, The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari, Taxi Driver, Prometheus, Pan's Labyrinth, 8 1/2, Casino, Starship Troopers, The Big Lebowski, Nosferatu, Oldboy, 12 Angry Men, Drive, No Country for Old Men, The Exorcist, Ed Wood, Face/Off, Koyaanisqatsi, Kung Fu Hustle, Jacob's Ladder, Stagecoach, My Darling Clementine, Unbreakable, Lost Highway, Man with a Movie Camera, The General, Dog Day Afternoon, Forbidden Planet, Solaris, Triumph of the Will, Total Recall, The Graduate, Chinatown, Children of Men, Days of Heaven, Rocky, The Long Good Friday, The Fly, Galaxy Quest, Stalker, Evil Dead 2

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

Goon Danton posted:

1) Rio Grande: Another Ford/Wayne western for the western slot. (added 12/7/13)

so many great films to choose, but I picked your oldest selection going back to 2013! Wow - enjoy!

Fail-Safe
This was incredibly tense and goes to some pretty dark places, and for such a static film - this is a remarkable feat. I say this should get mentioned right alongside Network, 12 Angry Men, Dog Day Afternoon, Serpico and all the masterful Lumet films. Henry Fonda gets called as the President of the United States after a miscommunication and jamming of signals causes a bomber plane to veer back towards Moscow, causing a potential nuclear disaster. Walter Matthau is fantastic as Professor Groeteschele - I've never witnessed him in such a serious and dramatic role, and it was jarring at first, but quickly had me immersed with rapid dialogue and a serious intelligent tone. He was even a womanizer, turning down Ilsa early on in memorable fashion. The camera does very little, focusing on the big video boards and tracking the plane's whereabouts. Many phonecalls thankfully don't have the camera darting around the room or changing locations in rapid succession. Lumet is confident in his actors, and the focus is on the tension & body language - even tone of voice - so you're glued to the screen with precision. This is a film you can't watch while doing other things or having many people over (unless everyone is dialed in) - it won't be nearly as effective otherwise.

LIST

Broadcast News [1987] - (2017.04.24) - I've heard nothing but great things, plus I just realized Jack Nicholson is in this.

Cactus Flower [1969] - **NEW** (2017.04.28) - more Walter Matthau, and with Ingrid Bergman!

Happiness [1998] - (2017.04.16) - not a 'shameful' choice, but more I won't watch it unless I put it here. And I've heard a lot about it.

De-shamed Pt2: True Romance (4/5), The Right Stuff (3/5), Syndromes And A Century (4/5), Still Life (3/5), My Cousin Vinny (2.5/5), Doctor Zhivago (3.5/5), The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (4.5/5), Peeping Tom (4/5), Shadow of a Doubt (4.5/5), The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie (4.5/5), Only Angels Have Wings (4/5), Umberto D (4/5), Anatomy of a Murder (4.5/5), Only God Forgives (1.5/5), Missing (3.5/5), Howl's Moving Castle (4.5/5), Rio Bravo (4/5), Cloud Atlas (3.5/5), Children of Paradise (4/5), That Obscure Object of Desire (5/5), The Fountain (3/5), Malcolm X (4/5), Warrior (4/5), American Movie (4/5), Being There (4/5), Leaving Las Vegas (4.5/5), Rope (4/5), Ed Wood (4.5/5), American Hustle (2.5/5), The Man Who Knew Too Much (3.5/5), Mister Roberts (4/5), Charley Varrick (4/5), A Face in the Crowd (4.5/5), Farewell My Concubine (3.5/5), Slacker (3.5/5), Drugstore Cowboy (4.5/5), Love and Death (3.5/5), Fantastic Mr. Fox (4.5/5), A Scanner Darkly (4/5), Marketa Lazarova (5/5), A Clockwork Orange (4.5/5), The Fly (5/5), Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind (5/5), King Kong (5/5), Gilda (3.5/5), Airplane! (4/5), Nobody Knows (4.5/5), Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (4.5/5), Dark Victory (3.5/5), Dead Man (4.5/5), Shane (4/5), Fail-Safe (4.5/5), [Total:152]

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

friendo55 posted:

I picked your oldest selection going back to 2013! Wow - enjoy!

The secret is to go to grad school and disappear for several years :ssh:

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

Goon Danton posted:

The secret is to go to grad school and disappear for several years :ssh:

...understandable.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut
Friendo, I liked Watchmen, a lot of others don't. Let's see what you think.

Spartacus was a lot better and deeper than I was expecting. I’ve kind of gotten tired of these sword-and-sandals epics like Ben Hur and Ten Commandments. Most of them are overly stiff and showy. I tend to enjoy them, but I also tend to forget them. I’ve also had an odd relationship with Kubrick. Dr. Strangelove was the first of his movies I saw, and I absolutely loved it, but none of his others have touched me the same way. They tend to be cold and clinical, too detached for me to get invested (quick, who was your favorite human character in 2001? I’m not sure I can even name one, except “Dave,” and I couldn’t tell you anything about him but his name). So combining these two things seems like a bad idea, yet somehow it works. I want to say this is the least Kubrick of Kubrick’s movies, but there are some distinct touches; the very long scene of Roman troops assembling before the big battle is balletic in the same way as 2001. But the characters breathe in a way that most of his don’t. Right from the beginning, the slave system is shown as grossly dehumanizing, and the Romans complaining about “first world problems” in front of them emphasizes their cruelty. Spartacus and Virinia are a great couple, and the romance is very sentimental and human. I could easily have seen this going in a John Wayne “you are my woman” direction, but his insecurity and tenderness are much better. Combine that with several other realized female characters, especially the old woman who tells him off, and you get a surprisingly feminist movie (especially from a director who, according to Shelley Duvall, was not super-fun for women to work with). There were surprisingly few battles shown; most of them were recounted after the fact. I didn’t mind that, though, as it gave time for the political machinations of the Roman Senate. That’s what I didn’t expect- at least a third of the movie is about Roman politics. It works surprisingly well. I don’t think I followed all of it, but it was still fun to watch how the senators manipulated the crisis to their own advantage, especially a young Julius Caesar. I suspect George Lucas might have been inspired by this when making the Star Wars prequels. Likewise, the oblivious aristocrats forcing the slaves to fight to the death for their amusement probably inspired The Hunger Games (I know Collins says gladiators in general inspired her, but this movie in particular felt very similar). And the story went on quite a while after the famous “I’m Spartacus” scene, giving Spartacus a little glimmer of hope as he died. It’s hard for a movie to be both epic and personal at the same time, but this one pulls it off nicely.

Rating: 4/4

It took a while for my library to get Spartacus, so I watched some other movies while waiting. I Am a Fugitive from a Chain Gang was a painful movie to watch. The main character is put through brutality that’s more raw than any other movie I can think of. The scenes where he’s on the run and narrowly avoids getting caught achieve a Hitchcock level of suspense. Paul Muni acts the hell out of this role. Some of the acting is campy by today’s standards, but it works in the film. The demand for criminal justice reform is very clear and still has relevance. This is sort of like an American Les Miserables, but much darker and more unpleasant. Allen escapes the prison and builds a new life for himself, but then his bitchy blackmailing wife (there is a bit of misogyny in this role, although he has an affair with a much nicer woman to balance it out) turns him in. Then there’s a lot of talk about Illinois trying to protect him since he’s become a model citizen, while Georgia wants to take him back. In the novel of Les Mis, Valjean contemplates turning himself in and hoping for leniency based on his new life, but decides they would never show mercy. Chain Gang says Valjean was right to run. I saw this once described as “the best pre-Hays Code movie,” and I can see why. This is a movie about corruption among the government, full of violence, implied sex (including with an apparent prostitute), and above all a downer ending. Jim was not a criminal, but the harsh and unforgiving penal system turned him into one. I would think, though, that he could return to Chicago. They loved him in Chicago and were ready to fight to keep him there; you’d think they’d be even more on his side after the state of Georgia broke their word and refused to pardon him. Maybe I’ll think of problems with it later, but right now it’s taking one of the top spots in my “best movies ever” list. If you haven't seen this movie, add it to your list immediately. You won't be disappointed.

Also on the DVD was a silly little 20 minute short called “20,000 Cheers for the Chain Gang” that was basically a parody of the movie, but portraying the chain gang as a luxury resort that the prisoners couldn’t get enough of. It wasn’t that good, but it had its moments. I wish they hadn’t said it was a dream of one of the convicts, though. I prefer to think that it was a propaganda film commissioned by the governor of Georgia to refute Jim’s allegations.

Rating: 4/4

Our local arthouse theater played Sunrise, so I went to see it on the big screen. It wasn’t on my list, but I had only heard of it thanks to this thread, so I’m sharing anyway. I really enjoyed it. It had an odd tone: it was very dark for the first quarter, then a lot of comedy for the middle half, and dark again for last quarter. The story was a lot simpler than I would have guessed- basically, a man plans to kill his wife and run away with his mistress, then gets overcome with guilt and reconnects with her. It’s kind of uncomfortable how “attempted murder” is the way to revitalize your marriage, and The Man threatens someone for hitting on his wife and tries to strangle his mistress by the end. This guy has serious anger issues, and I’m not sure that a sentimental reunion at a young couple’s wedding fixes their deeper problems. It reminds me of the common complaint about “Escape (The Pina Colada Song).” The shock of what you tried to do may cause you to reconsider your relationship and give you a temporary oxytocin high, but the underlying conflict that caused you to have an affair is still there. Still, I enjoyed watching their happiness, and the movie is not meant to be strictly realistic. There’s probably a lot in here about the impact on filmmaking and camera tricks that it influenced (there was a lot of double exposure used to show what people were thinking). I was also impressed how much was done without dialogue. It’s easy to think of silent movies as just regular movies with subtitles, but when done well silents tell the story without dialogue. For example, The Woman’s face is immensely expressive as she gradually realizes what her husband is planning. And I loved when “couldn’t she get drowned?” melted off the screen, making the dialogue itself visually appealing. This movie is “great” in the sense that it had an impact on filmmaking. I wouldn’t say it had a huge impact on me personally, but it was still enjoyable.

So here’s a troubling subtext: The beautiful blond woman is having her farm taken by “money-lenders” and her husband taken by a dark-haired urban woman. Both of those can be easily read as “Jewish.” This is probably not intentional, but it’s interesting. I saw an interesting video recently where Kyle Kallgren talked about the Weimar film scene. Basically, anti-semitism and the desire for a totalitarian leader was in the air and seeped into films by people who were opposed to Nazism. It’s worth considering how popular culture can unconsciously reflect and influence our thinking, even among works that are considered simple escapism.

Rating: 3.5/4

116. Boogie Nights- Uh, porn is bad. You shouldn't watch porn, m'kay?

120. The Straight Story- Doug Walker described this as "a movie that seems really slow and tedious until you get to the end, and then you realize everything that happened was for a reason." So that interested me. Also, it's by David Lynch, who ranges from excellent (Mulholland Drive, Twin Peaks Season One) to pretty good (Blue Velvet, Twin Peaks Season Two). No, I've never seen Dune, why do you ask?

124. The Rules of the Game- I opened the They Shoot Pictures list, and this is number five. I've never even heard of it.

127. Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer- One of Shakespeare's lesser known history plays.

132. Five Easy Pieces- Continuing the Ebert list, I somehow skipped over this one.

133. The Stepford Wives- I recently saw Get Out, and I highly recommend it. I've seen a lot of comparisons to The Stepford Wives, and while I basically know what it's about I still think I should see it.

134. The Day the Earth Stood Still- More sci-fi that I need to see.

135. Man with a Movie Camera- Fourth wall? Never heard of it.

136. Forbidden Planet: Shakespeare in Space?

137. Cloud Atlas: Reincarnation and possibly racism? I wanted to see this when it came out, but didn't get a chance.

Okay, tell me what I'm watching!

Shame relieved: The Godfather: 3.5/4, The Godfather Part II: 4/4, Taxi Driver: 4/4, Casablanca: 4/4, Duck Soup: 2/4, Pulp Fiction: 4/4, Barton Fink: 3.5/4, Annie Hall:3/4, Rashomon: 4/4, Blade Runner: 3.5/4, Chinatown: 4/4, Nashville: 3.5/4, Goodfellas: 4/4, The Seven Samurai: 4/4, Superman: 2/4, The Exorcist: 3/4, A Face in the Crowd: 3.5/4, The Seventh Seal: 2.5/4, Treasure of the Sierra Madre: 3.5/4, Apocalypse Now: 4/4, 2001: A Space Odyssey: 2.5/4, The Deer Hunter: 3/4, Schindler's List: 4/4, The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari: 3/4, Young Frankenstein: 3.5/4, Yojimbo: 3.5/4, Brazil: 3.5/4, Hamlet: 4/4, The Aviator: 4/4, Rocky: 3.5/4, Gandhi: 3.5/4, City Lights: 4/4, Battleship Potemkin: 3.5/4, Predator: 3/4, Easy Rider: 1.5/4, Platoon: 3.5/4, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid: 4/4, Get Carter: 3.5/4, Full Metal Jacket: 4/4, My Dinner with Andre: 4/4, Lethal Weapon: 3/4, 3 Women: 4/4, Ikiru: 4/4, The Maltese Falcon: 2.5/4, Midnight Cowboy: 3/4, Gattaca: 4/4, Gone with the Wind: 3/4, Jaws: 4/4, The Bicycle Thief: 3/4, Sophie's Choice: 2/4, On the Waterfront: 4/4, North by Northwest: 3.5/4, Stagecoach: 3.5/4, E.T.: 2/4, Nosferatu: 4/4, Lawrence of Arabia: 4/4, Dirty Harry: 1/4, Vertigo: 3.5/4, Rebecca: 4/4, The Pink Panther: 3/4, Children of Men: 4/4, Wings of Desire: 3/4, Metropolis: 3.5/4, Born on the Fourth of July: 4/4, The Bridge on the River Kwai: 3.5/4, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind: 4/4, Being John Malkovich: 3/4, Adaptation: 4/4, Bonnie and Clyde: 4/4, Goldfinger: 3/4, A Streetcar Named Desire: 4/4, Dog Day Afternoon: 3.5/4, Leon: The Professional: 4/4, 8 1/2: 3/4, Mulholland Drive: 4/4, 12 Angry Men: 4/4, Safety Last: 3.5/4, Dogville: 4/4, The Rapture: 2/4, Blue Velvet: 3/4, Irreversible: 4/4, Airplane!: 3.5/4, Tokyo Story: 2.5/4, Big Trouble in Little China: 3.5/4, American Psycho: 3.5/4, Dr. Zhivago: 3/4, Leaving Las Vegas:4/4, The Bourne Identity: 4/4, Out of Africa: 3/4, The Usual Suspects: 3/4, Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang: 4/4, Rain Man: 3.5/4, The Lost Weekend: 3.5/4, Ratatouille: 3/4, City of God: 4/4, Ed Wood: 4/4, Top Gun: 2.5/4, Trois Couleurs: Bleu: 3.5/4, The Hidden Fortess: 3/4, First Blood: 4/4, The Ten Commandments:3.5/4, Patton: 3.5/4, The Bourne Supremacy:3.5/4, King Lear (1983): 2.5/4, Repo Man: 2.5/4, King Kong: 3.5/4, Wall Street: 3/4, The Blues Brothers: 2/4, Trois Couleurs: Blanc: 2.5/4, Trois Couleurs: Rouge: 3.5/4, Animal House: 1.5/4, Ben-Hur: 3.5/4, Gojira: 4/4, Sunset Boulevard: 3.5/4, Falling Down: 4/4, The Night of the Hunter: 3.5/4, Ran: 4/4, The Battle of Algiers: 4/4, Z: 3/4, The Great Escape: 2.5/4, Cries and Whispers: 4/4, Enchanted: 3.5/4, Judgment at Nuremberg: 4/4, Cool Hand Luke:3/4, Scenes from a Marriage: 4/4, Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956): 4/4, Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978): 3.5/4, The Bourne Ultimatum: 3.5/4, F for Fake: 4/4, Spartacus: 4/4, I Am a Fugitive from a Chain Gang: 4/4, Sunrise: 3.5/4

Jurgan fucked around with this message at 17:06 on May 1, 2017

the_tasman_series
Apr 20, 2017

Jurgan posted:

127. Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer- : One of Shakespeare's lesser known history plays.
It's also one of Shakespeare's most 'feel-good' plays.

Escape from New York
I don't really have a lot to say about this movie. I somehow expected this one to be way more camp than it actually ended up.

LIST:
1. (Verhoeven Slot) Flesh+Blood (1985): I've heard it's an artfully themed and gritty medieval movie, and it sounds very intriguing, but I'm having a hard time locating it without spending any money... Paul Verhoeven's first in English.

2. (Scorsese Slot)Mean Streets (1973): Going back to an earlier Scorsese. I understand this one has a DIY feel to it. I'm interested to see what that's like.

3. Laura (1944): One of several noir that I have easy access to. No idea what it's about.

4. Bonnie and Clyde (1967): I've only seen Missouri Breaks from Arthur Penn's filmography and loved it - and this one's more canon, so maybe I'll also love it.

5. To Catch A Thief (1955): I actually have watched this one before, along with another hitchcock one that involves planes(?North by Northwest?) but was too intoxicated to remember very much at all.

6. Seven Samurai (1954): Apparently this is a good one.

7. The Panic in Needle Park (1971): I can't get enough of Al Pacino doing drugs.

8. Paths of Glory (1957): Classic. My dad bought this on DVD but never took it out of the wrapper.

9. The Fury (1978): it's on netflix right now, and I like De Palma.

10. Blow-Up (1966): I've seen Blow Out, so now it's time for...

Irreshameable: Scarface; The King of Comedy; Taxi Driver; Jackie Brown; The Third Man; Escape from New York (6)

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
Cool thread idea, I'm not the biggest movie guy so don't expect any black and white classics or anything from me but I've managed to skip past quite a few films in my lifetime that get high praise so heres my list.

1. Hot Fuzz. I really enjoyed Shaun of the Dead as well as Peggs earlier work but I've never seen this one despite it being 10 years old this year.

2.Scott Pilgrim vs World. I had fully intended to watch this nearer release but never took the chance, I'm particularly interested in how much it has videogame references.

3. Casino Royale. I enjoyed most of the Bond films when I was younger but every Daniel Craig one passed me by. Just need to sit down and give this a chance.

4. Robin Hood (the Kevin Costner one). I remember seeing a scene in this with a blind dude when I was a kid and it scared the poo poo out of me. Always meant to go back and watch the whole thing.

5. 2001. I'm not the biggest Kubrick fan, didn't enjoy Clockwork Orange or The Shining but I'm fascinated by the theme of this film. Heard it could be a tough one to sit through though.

6. The Departed. I loved Goodfellas, Casino etc and was told by a friend this was similar.

7. Donnie Brasco. See above.

Ok that should do for now.

Edit. Oh almost forgot to recommend for poster above. I'm not too familiar with your choices but I do like Scorcese so has to be mean streets.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
m. wrench, take casino royale. Nice easy one to get you into the swing of things.

friendo55 gave me superbad, which wasnt.

This was funny! The bits with the cops were meh but hill and george michael are both funny as hell and they worked great together. Yeah. I liked that the film captured the casual obscenity of high-school humour.
It was easily as emotionally resonant as that blink 182 song

Overall grade: :haw:

Memories of a Murder [2003] - Came on my radar from some podcast, looks interesting.
Beasts of No Nation [2015] - whoo boy. Big fan of the director, but just never in the mood for a little child-soldiering.
The Brothers Bloom [2008] - Liked looper, loved brick, interested to see how this goes.
12 years a Slave [2013] - a cheery movie to lift my spirits
The Hateful Eight [2015] - from tarantino's oldest to his latest
Badlands [1973] - people seem to think Terrence Malick is cool and someone described this as his 'most accessible'. I'm all about that
Perfect Blue [1997] - nani?!?
Killer Joe [2011] - alright alright alright
Cave of Forgotten Dreams [2010] - It's not something I'd ever watch without prompting, but I've heard a lot about hetzog and I'm kind of interested in the cave paintings so :shrug:
Borat [2006] - im all about the 11 year old cultural references.....NOT!

seen: Reservoir Dogs :) Fargo :swoon: Annie Hall :swoon: Chinatown :smith: Casino :) Nightcrawler :stare: Spotlight :) 12 Angry Men :) Superbad :haw:

the_tasman_series
Apr 20, 2017

awesmoe posted:

Borat [2006] - im all about the 11 year old cultural references.....NOT!

Please watch Borat, far more popularly known as the "Look Who's Back" of one decade ago.

Mean Streets
This was a pretty good one. I liked how gritty it felt: not only taking place mostly on the street or in bars, but the camera always seeming handheld and shaky. Loved the Catholic guilt and the cartoonish feeling of the violence. I felt like I've seen a million derivatives of some of the sights and situations in the movie.
Also, my favorite shot was the one that made the bar look like a carnival while the camera was like it was strapped to and facing Harvey Keitel/Charlie's face. That was incredible.

LIST:
1. (Verhoeven Slot) Flesh+Blood (1985): I've heard it's an artfully themed and gritty medieval movie, back when all medieval movies were pretty clean. It sounds very intriguing, but I'm having a hard time locating it without spending any money... Paul Verhoeven's first in English.

2. (Scorsese Slot) Raging Bull (1980): I normally don't go for sports pictures, but I had to make an exception for one named after a ride at Chicago Six Flags.

3. Laura (1944): One of several noir that I have easy access to. No idea what it's about.

4. Bonnie and Clyde (1967): I've only seen Missouri Breaks from Arthur Penn's filmography and loved it - and this one's more canon, so maybe I'll also love it.

5. To Catch A Thief (1955): I actually have watched this one before, along with another hitchcock one that involves planes(?North by Northwest?) but was too intoxicated to remember very much at all.

6. Seven Samurai (1954): Apparently this is a good one.

7. The Panic in Needle Park (1971): I can't seem to get enough of Al Pacino doing drugs.

8. Paths of Glory (1957): Classic. My dad bought this on DVD but never took it out of the wrapper.

9. The Fury (1978): it's on netflix right now, and I like De Palma.

10. Blow-Up (1966): I've seen Blow Out, so now it's time for...

Irreshameable: Scarface (1983); The King of Comedy (1982); Taxi Driver (1976); Jackie Brown (1997); The Third Man (1949); Escape from New York (1981); Mean Streets (1973) (7)

Sibboleth
Jul 10, 2014

friendo55 posted:

It's quite something; a bizarre and magical experience, not just because it's so visually gorgeous but because at the heart of it is an absolutely stunning piece of acting. A surprisingly good film to watch late at night, actually. And oddly quotable...

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Tasman, Pacino does a lot of drugs in The Panic of Needle Park but unfortunately there aren't any chainsaws or machine guns. Watch it anyway.

Manchester by the Sea (2016)
dir. Kenneth Lonergan

There's a scene midway through Manchester by the Sea during a funeral reception where a husband and wife are yelling over a loud room about whether to fix a plate of food for Lee (Casey Affleck), whose brother they are mourning. "HAS LEE EATEN!?" "NO!" "I'LL FIX HIM A PLATE!" "HE DOESN'T WANT ANYTHING!" "I CAN'T HEAR YOU!" Something like that. It's not the most necessary scene in the film, but it's one of the best for its attention to the details of the culture and people around Boston, and more specifically, the North Shore where the movie takes place.

The film tells the story of Lee, a janitor in Quincy, who unexpectedly becomes the legal guardian of his teenage nephew Patrick (Lucas Hedges) after his brother Joe (Kyle Chandler) dies of cardiac arrest. They knew he would die young, after being diagnosed with heart failure roughly a decade or so prior. So the death always had a sense of inevitability to it, something the family knew would happen sooner or later, just no idea when, perhaps explaining their pallid but composed reactions early in the film.

Lee is forced to move back to Manchester-by-the-Sea, a tiny Cape Ann town in Essex county with a population of about 5,000 people. Lee had lived there in a past life, until a fire burned down his house while he was drunk, killing his three young children. Struggling being back in the town where his life fell apart, Lee struggles to keep from breaking down all over again.

There are moments that in the film had me swelling up, particularly during the flashback to the fire and, yeah, that scene at the end between Affleck and Michelle Williams. What Lonergan captures is the day-to-day malaise of grief as driven and formed by place. Manchester is dreary and overcast in the winter, we rarely see the beauty of the ocean and when we do it's either stilted by a boat with a failing motor or behind a window in the distance through the fog. Manchester by the Sea isn't a crushing movie, but it is overwhelming with the guilt and blank-eyed vacancy of loss.

But it's not always like that either. Often there are scenes like the funeral reception, or scenes of Patrick practicing with his terrible high school band and yelling at the drummer to keep time, or messy attempts at teen sex in a house with an overbearing mother. These loud boisterous moments are just life as it goes on, in its messy awkward reality. Other times the noise is subtly grating, like an early scene where Lee tries to make funeral arrangements over the phone while Patrick and his girlfriend make breakfast, a scene that should be muted, but instead the sound mixing brings out the loud clanking of cereal bowls and utensils, adding layers of distraction on an already difficult moment. Those moments are just as important as the few idyllic happy memories we see of Lee's life past and present; playing with his kids, fishing with Patrick, enjoying life. It's all of this combined that weaves Manchester by the Sea's tapestry of life.

My List:

Ciao! Manhattan (1972) - Another Warhol star, featuring Edie Sedgwick shortly before she died and released posthumously. (Added 4/23/2017)

Heat (1995) - Pacino! De Niro! ...Kilmer? (Added 5/2/2017)

Watched: Fort Apache; Damnation; Ran; Ordet; Purple Rain; Häxan: Witchcraft Through the Ages; Napoléon; Yi Yi; Faces; The Blood of a Poet; The War Room; Sanjuro; The Testament of Dr. Mabuse; Your Vice is a Locked Room and Only I Have the Key; Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace; Flooding with Love for the Kid; Soylent Green; The Most Dangerous Game; Street Trash; The Avenging Conscience; The Spook Who Sat By the Door; Bringing Up Baby; The Life of Juanita Castro; The Hour of the Furnaces; Au hasard Balthazar; Surname Viet Given Name Nam; Seconds; My Dinner with Andre; The Thin Man; What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?; All Watched Over By Machines of Loving Grace; The Passion of the Christ; Grand Illusion; Fanny and Alexander; Passages from James Joyce's Finnegans Wake; Starship Troopers; Little Lord Fauntleroy; Last Summer; Total Recall; The Blood of Jesus; I Shot Andy Warhol; Manchester by the Sea (TOTAL: 43)

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

TrixRabbi posted:

Underrated title. Underrated score. Underrated film.

The War of the Gargantuas - Ishirô Honda directed a TON of these kaiju films (this is the tenth one I've seen) but he's not exactly a household name in the US. This one gets right down to business as we're shown a giant sasquatch monster fighting off a giant kraken creature that's attacking a ship.

The speed and dexterity of these monsters is off the charts as they're not constrained by the typical rubber suits. If these things were real they'd do a lot of damage. These monsters appear similar to the thing seen in the famous Patterson-Gimlin film: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Us6jo8bl2lk

It's Brown (good monster of the mountain) vs. Green (bad monster of the sea) AKA Sanda vs. Gaira. Gaira hates the light but loves to eat people. Sanda is the more benevolent cryptid. This makes for a somewhat unique battle of brothers (or clones). Of course we also have the usual futile military response as well.

The film concludes with the volcanic death of the monsters. It's similar to the end of Rodan.

Also watched:

42nd Street - This one generally fits with other ones such as All That Jazz, The Broadway Melody and Black Swan in focusing on the romances and conflicts going on behind the scenes and in the midst of preparation for a show.

Warner Baxter plays Julian Marsh the screaming madman/director on the verge of having another nervous breakdown if another one of his shows fails. The cast of characters go through the predictable love conflicts and make it through the requisite disasters intact.

The main disaster being the lead actress injuring her foot and the training of an emergency replacement who's given a crash course in playing the lead part. Humorously, the show is a success but Marsh doesn't get the credit in the end.

When I watch these 1930s stage musicals the lack of color and the standard 4:3 framing is always noticeably limiting.

Procrastination (248 completed):

Godzilla vs. Hedorah - Godzilla vs. pollution. 4/20/17

new 2016 Hillary's America: The Secret History of the Democratic Party - Seems to be popular: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CH8UKb3bsa4 5/3/17

new 1980 Can't Stop the Music - The one that started it all. 5/3/17

TCM: The Essentials: 52 Must-See Movies (47/52 completed):

Meet Me in St. Louis - I know Judy Garland is in this one. 4/21/17

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeefSupreme
Sep 14, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Of all the best picture nominees from last year, Manchester by the Sea is the one I think about the most. It really has stuck with me, both for it's big moments (the police station and the accompanying flashback, in particular, and in the sequence with Patrick and the freezer), but also the small ones. As you put it:

TrixRabbi posted:

What Lonergan captures is the day-to-day malaise of grief as driven and formed by place.

I also found it to be darkly funny, like in the scene after the fire when they're putting Randi in the ambulance and they can't get the legs of the gurney to stay up. Or in most scenes with Patrick. Really, really liked this movie, as sad as it was.