Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Oh he mad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Coohoolin posted:

Man Scotland basically invented beef.

Says the man from a country where they eat cats and dogs (http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/01/02/dog-cat-meat-farmers-switzerland---legal_n_2395276.html)

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

u brexit ukip it posted:

Prime Minister Boris Johnson

Would probably be better than the current shambles, and would at least be funny.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Ewan posted:

This is a fun thread.

https://twitter.com/josephcorcoran/status/859332399066484736

tldr: someone revealed a Labour candidate Trevor Merralls (@TrevorMerralls) previously called for the eradication of muslims (at that time he used a different Twitter acct @wellingblueboy). Bryn Phillips, a Labour community organiser and occasional Guardian "contributor" is breathlessly tweeting away saying it's a smear, photoshopped, lies, not the same guy, etc, despite people showing him:

a- the original tweet from @wellingblueboy is archived on web.archive.org
b- Bryn himself tweeted last year that the user of @wellingblueboy account is Trevor Merralls
c- The Tweet in B STILL EXISTS:

https://twitter.com/Bryn__Phillips/status/802848948234944512

But he still says it's fake

guys this thread is amazing but get in before the NEC takes it down!

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

More police are poo poo, good on Diane for taking the bullet and making it about her and not reinforcing the Special Patrol Group.

Sort of joking but with tons of crime now being cyber crime just having more police around won't do anything.

LemonyTang
Nov 29, 2009

Ask me about holding 4gate!
The funniest thing about those tweets is if you watch the video of Merralls' speech, he clearly is a racist.

--

https://twitter.com/daily_politics/status/859375471468789760

Worst day for Labour so far. No wonder May hasn't bothered campaigning. What is the point of this guy giving this interview?

LemonyTang fucked around with this message at 13:09 on May 2, 2017

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Pochoclo posted:

When you live in a lovely country you take pride in what you can.

It's like looking into the UK 19 years forward. We'll be defending Ginsters lovely pasties :(

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

LemonDrizzle posted:

Curse those dastardly blairites and their wickedness in refusing to lend Corbyn their esoteric skills such as "basic numeracy" and "working memory".

Abbott doesn't interview well. Neither apparently does Dawn Butler. But on one level you can't complain about the lack of competent politicians on the front bench and also applaud the people you think should be there for refusing to take those jobs.

LemonyTang posted:

Worst day for Labour so far. No wonder May hasn't bothered campaigning. What is the point of this guy giving this interview?

Woodcock doesn't want to quit, he wants to be sacked with as much personal publicity as possible.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Horses for courses.
You wouldnt do pocholos technique to a prime cut, they just dont have the right fat and collagen content to support that. But it will make the stringiest, chewiest cuts into something divine.

Also you get a lot more of the latter for the price of the former.

Get angry at people that turn a ribeye into a charcoal briquette.

Fair point, but you can do lovely things to flank while keeping it pink.

gently caress me I want bbq now.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

LemonyTang posted:

What is the point of this guy giving this interview?

He's actively been trying to sabotage Corbyn's leadership for as long as I can remember.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Spuckuk posted:

Fair point, but you can do lovely things to flank while keeping it pink.

gently caress me I want bbq now.

https://youtu.be/amKyA2PrSu4

Also I'm vegetarian and all you are terrible.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

jabby posted:

Abbott doesn't interview well. Neither apparently does Dawn Butler. But on one level you can't complain about the lack of competent politicians on the front bench and also applaud the people you think should be there for refusing to take those jobs.

Not sure why not. Corbyn as leader is untenable. This is what happens when a party leader stays in post without the backing of his MPs.

Having said that, Abbott isn't going anywhere while Corbyn is in charge whatever other MPs do.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Osborne used his first editorial to say the Tory campaign amounts to 'no more than a slogan'.

Might take the heat off Abbott slightly.

Pissflaps posted:

Not sure why not. Corbyn as leader is untenable. This is what happens when a party leader stays in post without the backing of his MPs.

Having said that, Abbott isn't going anywhere while Corbyn is in charge whatever other MPs do.

This is indeed what happens when the majority of MPs fail to back their leader. The difference between you and me is whether you blame the leader or the MPs.

jabby fucked around with this message at 13:25 on May 2, 2017

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
https://twitter.com/nadinedorriesmp/status/859320663294738432

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10_UnyUlwFk

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
https://twitter.com/mapduliand/status/858990538837684225

Something something gravy train.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

The most watched video on this YouTube channel has one thousand views.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Wondering how bad UKIP and the Tories are going to be in the next 2 years.

Pissflaps posted:

Because it's probably part of a wider media launch and so will be being shared on facebook and twitter rather than directing people to YouTube.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

namesake posted:

https://youtu.be/amKyA2PrSu4

Also I'm vegetarian and all you are terrible.

Sometimes, and bearing mind it's rarely... Sometimes Mike Judge is right.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Spuckuk posted:

It's like looking into the UK 19 years forward. We'll be defending Ginsters lovely pasties :(

I'm glad that once we leave the EU Cornish pasty will no longer be a protected term. It's shameful that Ginsters is the most common pasty experience for most of the country, they're complete shite.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

namesake posted:

Because it's probably part of a wider media launch and so will be being shared on facebook and twitter rather than directing people to YouTube.

Correct. But I'm sure this is yet another thing Pissflaps cannot understand.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Kokoro Wish posted:

Correct. But I'm sure this is yet another thing Pissflaps cannot understand.

Let me guess..... *sound of rustling paper* 80 million views on Facebook?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I know the tabloids like to get their letching in while they're young, but this seems a bit premature even by their standards.

Edit: Also hi, I've been away in the woods all weekend with no internet, I am given to understand that the Brexit trainwreck is careening off the rails as expected?

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 13:39 on May 2, 2017

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Regarde Aduck posted:

Abbot unable to get her point across? No way. I assume she's good at her job but they need to hide her from ever having to talk to anyone.
Her job is talking to anyone, that's literally her job.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

jabby posted:

This is indeed what happens when the majority of MPs fail to back their leader. The difference between you and me is whether you blame the leader or the MPs.

Sorry, I don't think anyone is buying this. The other MPs could have been more supportive of the leadership, but it's not their place or their responsibility to take on the role of sock puppets for a leadership that isn't competent.

They are just as entitled as Corbyn was to sit on the backbenches and say that while they'll vote with the party whip (wait a minute) and repeat the party speaking points, they don't agree with the leadership and don't want to be bound into cabinet collective responsibility.

Meanwhile if you want to lead a party it is not unfair to expect you to be capable of the tasks that entails.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I know the tabloids like to get their letching in while they're young, but this seems a bit premature even by their standards.
The two year old or the eggs?

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Alchenar posted:

Sorry, I don't think anyone is buying this. The other MPs could have been more supportive of the leadership, but it's not their place or their responsibility to take on the role of sock puppets for a leadership that isn't competent.

They are just as entitled as Corbyn was to sit on the backbenches and say that while they'll vote with the party whip (wait a minute) and repeat the party speaking points, they don't agree with the leadership and don't want to be bound into cabinet collective responsibility.

Meanwhile if you want to lead a party it is not unfair to expect you to be capable of the tasks that entails.

I presume 'could have been more supportive' is code for launching a public coup, briefing the hostile press and working constantly behind the scenes to undermine the leadership, something Jeremy Corbyn certainly never did from the back benches. You certainly have a talent for understatement.

If the majority of the PLP want to come out and explain on which matters of policy they strongly disagree with Corbyn they are welcome to, and I would accept those as reasons not to join his shadow cabinet. Not believing he'll win an election is decidedly not a reason I agree with though, especially if they are then going to go after as much publicity as possible and essentially try to act as shadow ministers in every way apart from doing anything helpful.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Alchenar posted:

This would be fine if people like Woodcock hadn't said from the minute that Corbyn was going to win the leadership that they were never going to work or cooperate with him. This is nothing to do with Corbyn's competence (which has been surprisingly good in the campaign) and everything to do with not wanting a left wing Labour party.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

jabby posted:

I presume 'could have been more supportive' is code for launching a public coup, briefing the hostile press and working constantly behind the scenes to undermine the leadership, something Jeremy Corbyn certainly never did from the back benches.

What makes you think he could do this even if he wanted to?

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

serious gaylord posted:

It's cool Abbot has managed to take a great policy and turn the media narrative into how much of a gently caress up labour are.

is it really a great policy? or just a popular one?
the link between increased police numbers and reduced crime is dubious. it does just seem like a repeat from 20 years ago of Blair's promises on extra officers then.

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD

Pissflaps posted:

Eh, the top three are 140k, 66k, 33k views. Still not huge numbers but not 1000.

The ones from within the past month are pretty much in the 1k ballpark though.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

What makes you think he could do this even if he wanted to?

For one, interviews with him and John McDonnell where they both refused to say anything negative about the then leadership, despite being heavily baited by the interviewer. Corbyn may have been a serial rebel but he never tried to undermine his party.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

jabby posted:

For one, interviews with him and John McDonnell where they both refused to say anything negative about the then leadership, despite being heavily baited by the interviewer. Corbyn may have been a serial rebel but he never tried to undermine his party.
What about the time he congratulated George Galloway for beating a labour candidate?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

jabby posted:

No I meant actually capable of briefing the press and launching a 'coup'.

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
She's loving those chips.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Alchenar posted:

Sure, but Corbyn's backbenchery was motivated by a genuine concern for the people and PLP's is motivated by greed.
This is like halftrue, but not understanding how neoliberal & centrist voters can come by their opinions honestly is one of the larger rhetorical struggles of the emergent Left

jabby posted:

I presume 'could have been more supportive' is code for launching a public coup, briefing the hostile press and working constantly behind the scenes to undermine the leadership, something Jeremy Corbyn certainly never did from the back benches. You certainly have a talent for understatement.

If the majority of the PLP want to come out and explain on which matters of policy they strongly disagree with Corbyn they are welcome to, and I would accept those as reasons not to join his shadow cabinet. Not believing he'll win an election is decidedly not a reason I agree with though, especially if they are then going to go after as much publicity as possible and essentially try to act as shadow ministers in every way apart from doing anything helpful.

Blaming PLP for Abbott loving up an interview is not the hill to die on here.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Cerv posted:

is it really a great policy? or just a popular one?
the link between increased police numbers and reduced crime is dubious. it does just seem like a repeat from 20 years ago of Blair's promises on extra officers then.
I'd prefer if police didn't have to use foodbanks, because police being poor and desperate has (in international studies at least) shown strong links with corruption.

I'd also prefer if nobody else had to use foodbanks, because people being poor and desperate has shown strong links with crime.

I think those two might do more to reduce crime than more officers.

After that I think the best things we could do to reduce crime in the long view are free high quality preschools, environmental lead reduction, promoting reliable family planning, and trying not to be a safe haven for financial crime.

I'm not sure that any of those policies would prove popular outside of the first one, because the populist view seems to be that crime exists because criminals, and only by locking/beating/stringing them up in sufficient numbers can it be reduced.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

jabby posted:

Do we not count that time in 1988 he announced he was organising a leadership challenge?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LemonyTang
Nov 29, 2009

Ask me about holding 4gate!

Guavanaut posted:

I'd prefer if police didn't have to use foodbanks, because police being poor and desperate has (in international studies at least) shown strong links with corruption.

I'd also prefer if nobody else had to use foodbanks, because people being poor and desperate has shown strong links with crime.

I think those two might do more to reduce crime than more officers.

After that I think the best things we could do to reduce crime in the long view are free high quality preschools, environmental lead reduction, promoting reliable family planning, and trying not to be a safe haven for financial crime.

I'm not sure that any of those policies would prove popular outside of the first one, because the populist view seems to be that crime exists because criminals, and only by locking/beating/stringing them up in sufficient numbers can it be reduced.

A good post.

Poverty is the root cause of many of societies ills. Excessive greed being the other big one.

• Locked thread