Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Zaodai posted:

Pretty sure you're thinking of Legions.

Crap, you are right, the chapters are only 1000 members. Oh well, Space Marines suck, Tyranids rule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

scuz posted:

Not sure where to begin with this aside from "Hi, I'm scuz and I'm Bad At Games I Like To Play." I played DoW2 fairly on the regular before all the expansion packs but haven't since then (so, yeah, like 2009) and wasn't very good then, either. The only reason I bought DoW3 is because Orkz are hilarious and I wanna get better at RTS stuff. Looking for general tips because my main problems are:
  • I do a lot of a-moving (While this isn't great, if you can generally group up units by types then you are going to have the best time of it. Try to put each type of unit in its own control group so that even if you attack move them you can still use their abilities easily)
  • I'm not very good at using command groups (i.e. ctrl+1, ctrl+2, etc) as in what is the best way to group units (See above)
  • Near the end of my (admittedly casual) AI matches, I have a lot of units sitting around and like 9k req and 5k power (If you have excess res it's usually a good idea to try and take out a resource point. At the very least you can spit out gretchins and spread them across the map, giving you vision and allowing you to see where your enemy is not. Make sure you use the stealth ability on the gretchins to move around)
  • I tend to pidgeon-hole myself by not using a lot of higher-tier tech things, like Killa Kans or even Deff Lootaz (Ork armor isn't the best, they heavily focus on infantry. The artillery is nice and the Kans aren't *bad*, but your main force is going to be heavy weapon teams and Nobs interspersed with other stuff. Don't forget to use the Nobs to taunt the enemy away from squishier allies)
Any Ork-specific strats would be cool, too. I'm your typical idiot RTS player, so even basics would help heh :shobon:

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Khisanth Magus posted:

A space Marines chapter ranges from 10k-250k space Marines. I think they have plenty of members still.

It's around a thousand for 99 percent of them.

E: refresh derp

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

S.J. posted:

It's around a thousand for 99 percent of them.

E: refresh derp

Even the ones that are over a thousand, most notably the Black Templars (who skirt the rules by always being on Crusade, and thus billing everyone as combat reinforcements, plus they're not all in one place at one time) are only estimated to have like 6,000 Marines.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Appreciate it! If anyone wants to occasionally 1v1 or whatevs against someone who is very likely worse than you, my steam name is scuz, same profile picture as my avatar over there <--------

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Zaodai posted:

Even the ones that are over a thousand, most notably the Black Templars (who skirt the rules by always being on Crusade, and thus billing everyone as combat reinforcements, plus they're not all in one place at one time) are only estimated to have like 6,000 Marines.

"Estimated" being the operative word. Black Templars exploit a loophole in the codex that allows crusading Chapters to take on more members to replenish losses, leading to their inflated numbers. 6000 is the estimated number, but only the Black Templars know the full amount.

Dark Angels successor chapters are semi-autonomous, but all answer to the progenitor chapter, meaning that Azrael could summon nearly a legion strength number of Marines if the need arises.

Space Wolves say gently caress the Codex and do whatever they want so long as it has a wolf prefix or suffix involved.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Khisanth Magus posted:

Crap, you are right, the chapters are only 1000 members. Oh well, Space Marines suck, Tyranids rule.

Not anymore, Robute just lifted the chapter member limit!

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Sun Wu Kampf posted:

Not anymore, Robute just lifted the chapter member limit!

Wasn't Rowboat Gooeyman dead or something? I can't keep track of all the whereabouts of the Primarchs. Was he the one that was poisoned fatally with some super toxin but they got him into a stasis field in the seconds before he died so he's now a big statue at their base? Russ is off partying in parts unknown, Vulkan was supposed to come back if they found all his toys, the Dark Angels guy is "sleeping" in a tomb somewhere in their base I think? Or was that Rugal Dorn. Sanguinis got dunked on during the heresy and so is dead-dead. I have no idea what happened to the mongol guy.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
Aren't there already about twenty warhams threads where you guys have had this exact same discussion on the inner workings of imperial space toilet design five hundred times?

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Zaodai posted:

Wasn't Rowboat Gooeyman dead or something? I can't keep track of all the whereabouts of the Primarchs. Was he the one that was poisoned fatally with some super toxin but they got him into a stasis field in the seconds before he died so he's now a big statue at their base? Russ is off partying in parts unknown, Vulkan was supposed to come back if they found all his toys, the Dark Angels guy is "sleeping" in a tomb somewhere in their base I think? Or was that Rugal Dorn. Sanguinis got dunked on during the heresy and so is dead-dead. I have no idea what happened to the mongol guy.

Robute is back now. The Eldar and Cypher and an Imperial Saint got together and healed him, he's currently stomping about in a giant suit of Terminator armor with a built in life support system. Also Abbadon finally dealt with Cadia by smashing a Blackstone Fortress through it and pulverizing the entire drat thing, and without the Cadian Pylons, the Eye of Terror is starting to slowly expand. The plot is actually advancing in 40k for once :v:

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Sun Wu Kampf posted:

Robute is back now. The Eldar and Cypher and an Imperial Saint got together and healed him, he's currently stomping about in a giant suit of Terminator armor with a built in life support system. Also Abbadon finally dealt with Cadia by smashing a Blackstone Fortress through it and pulverizing the entire drat thing, and without the Cadian Pylons, the Eye of Terror is starting to slowly expand. The plot is actually advancing in 40k for once :v:

Most of the other Primarchs are coming back too. Jaghati Khan, Lion El'Jonson and Leman Russ are pretty much definitely coming back.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Throwing my hat in with the "Warp Spider Heroes Shred Faces" group. Five warp charges and insane ranged DPS? Yes thank you.

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Even without the events of forty years ago, I think man would still be a creature that fears the dark.
Striking Scorpions are also extremely powerful right now - not only do they have great DPS, their special melee attack does True damage and that means the squad can kill a generator in like 10 seconds by themselves.

Keep in mind, though, that squads will take more damage from area attacks and lose DPS as they lose models, so squad Elites have somewhat less staying power than single-model Elites do.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Am I right in thinking that for SM you almost want to open with assault marines rather then tac marines?

The tac marines ranged DPS is awful (lower then a shoota's) and they're expensive as hell, and they basically lose if they get into melee. Compare this to the assault marine's very high melee DPS and ingrained ability to get into that range very quickly.

I had a couple of frustrating matches 1v1 against Orks players last night, where my grouped tac marines couldn't deal with boyz during the initial rush for points, and once the orkz was rolling around with upgraded shootas and boyz, I could basically do nothing under the unrelenting hail of stikkbombs and charging boyz, fighting against a resource deficit.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
I played a game tonight where my team got crushed by a couple marine players who completely ignored tac Marines, they just used tons of scouts and assaults.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I found the solution to tac marines. Get them frag grenades.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Conot posted:

Am I right in thinking that for SM you almost want to open with assault marines rather then tac marines?

The tac marines ranged DPS is awful (lower then a shoota's) and they're expensive as hell, and they basically lose if they get into melee. Compare this to the assault marine's very high melee DPS and ingrained ability to get into that range very quickly.

I had a couple of frustrating matches 1v1 against Orks players last night, where my grouped tac marines couldn't deal with boyz during the initial rush for points, and once the orkz was rolling around with upgraded shootas and boyz, I could basically do nothing under the unrelenting hail of stikkbombs and charging boyz, fighting against a resource deficit.

Scouts and assault marines. Chain scout blind grenades to buy you time for your scouts to shoot them, use ASM as your hammer. Tac marines are loving garbage for how much they cost and how easy they are to neuter.

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Even without the events of forty years ago, I think man would still be a creature that fears the dark.

Conot posted:

You're absolutely right. Tactical Marines without weapon upgrades really underperform for their cost (they lose 1v1 to Avengers or Boyz while costing more), and while you can mitigate this somewhat with doctrines (frag grenades and flamer slow in particular), I don't think it makes sense to do that when you could use those slots on upgrades for stronger units in the first place.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
I've generally had good luck going tac-servitor-tac at the start of the game and building a barracks between shield and first point, playing defensive until I can pod in some assault marines then rounding out with scout snipers, then using a spare servitor to build an armoury and getting both the infantry upgrades and a flamer.

Also shootas have such high dps to balance how quickly they lose Boyz.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Also having gotten used to him the chaplain is amazing, pretty much whenever people try and retreat squads from you he can just run them down.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Fetterkey posted:

You're absolutely right. Tactical Marines without weapon upgrades really underperform for their cost (they lose 1v1 to Avengers or Boyz while costing more), and while you can mitigate this somewhat with doctrines (frag grenades and flamer slow in particular), I don't think it makes sense to do that when you could use those slots on upgrades for stronger units in the first place.

Thats kind of what I figured. I'll give assault/scouts a try tonight and see if my luck improves.

Artum posted:

Also shootas have such high dps to balance how quickly they lose Boyz.

My main issue with tacs is that they're super "average". They have better melee damage then shootas/avengers but not enough to win a fight against boyz or banshees, and they pay for that extra melee damage with reduced ranged damage. Their HP is higher then shootas & avengers but their cost is so prohibitive that you can't field enough of them to make up for the DPS deficit.

As someone noted a while back, Shootas losing a few orks doesn't hit their DPS as hard as Tac Marines losing one or two marines of their 5 man squad, and the Shootas are cheaper to reinforce (I believe?)

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Is game good??

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

ZenVulgarity posted:

Is game good??

If you like RTS rather than just dow2 then yes its good.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Its very good RTS game and a very bad successor of previous Dawn of War titles.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Lt. Lizard posted:

Its very good RTS game and a very bad successor of previous Dawn of War titles.

Its a fine successor to dawn of war 1, seeing as the main difference is troops can actually recieve orders during a fight instead of descending into a knot of hitboxes while you mash reinforce.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Artum posted:

If you like RTS rather than just dow2 then yes its good.

I liked the multi in dow 1 much more but the single in two

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
New Eldar meta.

Warp bonsingers on top of ranged units to force them into melee.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Stanley Pain posted:

New Eldar meta.

Warp bonsingers on top of ranged units to force them into melee.

You fiend.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

ZenVulgarity posted:

Is game good??

No. Dawn of War 1 is a far superior game.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

ZenVulgarity posted:

Is game good??

Yes if you like micro heavy RTS.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

WMain00 posted:

No. Dawn of War 1 is a far superior game.

Its really not, especially since every game after winter assault turned all the races into monobuilds because all the high impact units were 0-1 or 0-2 instead of balancing them appropriately.

People seem to forget that the lethality was about the same in dow1 it just didn't matter as much since you'd be constantly reinforcing in the field.

Artum fucked around with this message at 13:26 on May 2, 2017

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
I'm enjoying the game so far. Pretty fun with friends.

I'm still pretty annoyed they tossed out Victory Points. While the new objective based game mode is still better than "Annihilate your opponent's entire base", usually by the time you end up being able to win that's exactly what you're doing anyway. Some friends and I played an hour long 3v3 last night. We didn't even finish it, we had to end up leaving because it was taking so long. Neither team was making progress. We tried to capitalize on killing their elites but it was pretty much impossible to push all the way in when the enemy team has like 3 super abilities to keep the chokepoints blocked off. Then they would push and we'd do the same and no one would get anywhere.

This game loving sucks in 3v3's. It never ends.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Artum posted:

Its a fine successor to dawn of war 1, seeing as the main difference is troops can actually recieve orders during a fight instead of descending into a knot of hitboxes while you mash reinforce.

Eh, DoW 3 has no morale mechanics, no retreat, no reinforcing anywhere, no build-able power generators and everything is roughly 10x more fragile. Like yes, DoW was more of a traditional RTS, so it shares more similarities with DoW 3 then DoW 2 did, but in the end, the flow, feel and mechanics of playing the game are completely different. Not worse, mind you, I like DoW 3 more than DoW 1, but different. Shitload of people that loved DoW 1 hate DoW 3.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Artum posted:

Its really not, especially since every game after winter assault turned all the races into monobuilds because all the high impact units were 0-1 or 0-2 instead of balancing them appropriately.

People seem to forget that the lethality was about the same in dow1 it just didn't matter as much since you'd be constantly reinforcing in the field.

The issue I have with DoW3 is that, unless you enjoy constantly being hosed over by kids high on energy-drinks, there's pretty much no game here. The AI is slapstick retarded and incapable of putting up a meaningful challenge whether playing the mediocre and dull campaign or playing a solo skirmish. I played a skirmish last night on hard expecting to be at least a little bit challenged by the AI and instead found it extremely easy to stomp my way to victory, with very little resistance getting in my way.

Meanwhile, the micro management aspect has become something of an utter tedium. Every unit has their own skill, but in order to access that skill you need to quickly hot switch between the different unit numbers you need to set up in order to manage anything efficiently. Heaven help you if you don't, or if you accidentally put the wrong unit in the wrong team. In the original you get set up stuff and forget, but now you need to manage everyone at the same time because your units are seemingly too retarded to think for themselves.

Then again though I suppose that's an irrelevance, because all of the units have been reduced down to minion level to make way for the MOBA-esque hero units. Everyone now seemingly dies quickly and easily, rendering the entire process of moving to stronger tiered units utterly futile. Mob rush is the name of the game, with tactics and strategy thrown out of the window in the name of rushing toward a tower. No cover, no retreat system, nothing. Just idiocy.

And just to add insult to loving injury the game seems to punish you for not playing online, by rewarding no experience and very little skulls allowing to unlock more of the game you paid full money for.

The game is an utter joke - it's not as fun as DoW1, it's not as strategic as DoW2 and it's nowhere near the level of fun as the MOBA's it is attempting to replicate. It's a poo poo, mediocre attempt at appeasing everyone.

If you enjoyed RTS, go play DoW1 with all the expansions. If you enjoyed the RPG tactical elements, go play DoW2. If you enjoy MOBA's, go play LoL, or Smite.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

You can just set it to custom online and not take it off private, that still gives you skulls and experience but yeah the ai is bad unless it has a lot of time to get set up which against a person it won't.

Beyond that I really don't know what to tell you because your most of your problems with the game are "I'm bad at it and thats not fun". All of the elites go down quickly when you're using the right tools against them, hell most of the ranged ones will die to one or two close combat line units.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Writing off my complaints as "lol you suck, git gud noob" doesn't excuse the mediocrity of the game. It has issues.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

WMain00 posted:

Writing off my complaints as "lol you suck, git gud noob" doesn't excuse the mediocrity of the game. It has issues.

You literally said you fumble control groups and cant manage your troops in a fight, you said you suck.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
I just want CoH in space. DoW2 is good, but it isn't it.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Artum posted:

You literally said you fumble control groups and cant manage your troops in a fight, you said you suck.

I fumble the control groups because the bloody thing is obtuse! In the older games it was far easier to manage control groups. Hell, you had the option of attaching units together to make micro management of options easier!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!
What makes the heroes more moba like than previous games equivalents?

• Locked thread