Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
2mil is not much at all once you start to scale up your operations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Steel furnaces have no module slots, Electric furnaces have two.

And if your electric grid is coal powered they're not a good deal because burning coal for electricity basically gets you half the coal's power value onto the grid, so Electric furnaces require twice as much coal. If you're solar or nuclear though they can be a good deal.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Loopoo posted:

I've never used electric furnaces, do they get more module slots than steel furnaces? I also wanna give electric furnaces a go cause it'd be nice not having to belt coal around everywhere, but it's not too big a pain since steel furnaces are way easier to make than electric ones, and there's a metric fucktonne of coal everywhere.

I'm also a bit disappointed cause I did the railworld option and it's given me massive 2mil patches which is a bit overkill as I'm not really forced to use rails much.

Steel furnaces don't get module slots but are affected by beacons. Electric furnaces get two slots on top of being affected by beacons. Because they're run by electric they're also more flexible; steel furnaces need something you can burn while you can run electric furnaces off of nuclear or solar. It ultimately simplifies input as well since you don't have provide the fuel. You'll have poles around anyway to run the inserters unless you are an insane person who loads everything by hand.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
One red belt / two yellow belts (48 furnaces) is just about enough iron to make up to blue science. Once blue science comes out and you want to expand, I made additional lines with the electric furnaces (and connect in new ore to it) and left the initially created ones alone. I also switched to nuclear around this time so that removes coal completely from the equation, helping my pollution immensely.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
I added the balancer designs from the wiki to the Google doc per the request, and also compressed the existing strings into public, non-expiring pastebin links. I agree, however, that a spreadsheet is probably better for our purposes.

E: I am not good with computer but here is a Fisher-Price spreadsheet for strings.

love too spread sheets

Feel free to gently caress with it however, change the format, change the colors, added public pages and geegaws and all kinda poo poo go buck wild

Solid Poopsnake fucked around with this message at 23:21 on May 1, 2017

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
On my fourth factory now, I have had my factory grind to a halt every time I get to blue science, this time I built huge. Turning on blue science didn't even make my bus miss a beat. Bigger really is better. That and a little planning prevents me from just restarting when things slow down. Easier to fix issues when there is space.

Dirk Pitt fucked around with this message at 08:06 on May 2, 2017

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

OddObserver posted:

Anyone have ideas on how to automate withdrawal of extra stuff from the Uranium enrichment process? It's easy to make it produce new U-235 in a closed loop, but I want the extras going to reactor fuel, not sitting in a centrifuge input buffer, and the closest I can come up with for solution has a long delay belt with circuit network in every cell.

I'm using something similar to this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_Eh7sz1Pik (Enrichment starts around 4:30, but I found the whole video fairly helpful for getting my head around all things nuclear). I spent a bit of time trying to figure out a better way, but couldn't come up with anything. Long term it's going to be interesting to see if people end up favouring nuclear over solar, especially for megafactories that are going to be running for a while. Solar can be a pain and takes up so much room, but the place and forget aspect of it is a huge advantage.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Firos posted:

Do you guys typically stick with steel furnaces or electric furnaces? I can't make my mind up if I want to switch over to electric, as I can't figure out a good setup for smelting steel with the electric.

Por que no los dos?

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

What's good to bus and what's better to produce as needed for each build, generally? I'm especially not sure about things like circuits, steel and gears.

I guess it's theoretically optimal to produce intermediates on site, but that iron/copper bandwidth becomes a limiting factor?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I really like your electric furnaces mod. The early coal logistics for furnaces always seems like unnecessary busywork when you'll eventually go all electric anyway.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Jack the Lad posted:

What's good to bus and what's better to produce as needed for each build, generally? I'm especially not sure about things like circuits, steel and gears.

I guess it's theoretically optimal to produce intermediates on site, but that iron/copper bandwidth becomes a limiting factor?

My last game turned into a clusterfuck when I tried bussing gears and pipe. Copper, Iron, Green Circuits, plastic, and steel are mandatory for me a few hours into my 4th try. I'm about to add two rows of red circuits and redo my blue science area.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Added a couple of early game blueprints on the google document. I haven't really done any math on them, they are probably inefficient to the biggest number crushers in here, but it works.

If you have any feedback on them, I would love to hear it.

This one, in case you have moved over to a new one without me noticing: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1SZeIlyYvjInZp88_ilfIMY_4BcslO2fDl886sqKS6LA/edit

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Dirk Pitt posted:

My last game turned into a clusterfuck when I tried bussing gears and pipe. Copper, Iron, Green Circuits, plastic, and steel are mandatory for me a few hours into my 4th try. I'm about to add two rows of red circuits and redo my blue science area.
If you play on expensive recipes and don't bus gear wheels you'll find yourself bussing inordinate amounts of iron. Gear wheels are twice as expensive there, and recipes take about twice as many of them.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I basically bus anything that has use in more than one area, so I'll belt iron, copper, steel, gears, plastic, all circuits, batteries and engine units.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Collateral Damage posted:

I really like your electric furnaces mod. The early coal logistics for furnaces always seems like unnecessary busywork when you'll eventually go all electric anyway.

Thanks. Any thoughts on the balance of the upgraded electric furnaces? I never played up to blue science before, I always got distracted by another modding opportunity.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

Toilet Rascal

ShadowHawk posted:

If you play on expensive recipes and don't bus gear wheels you'll find yourself bussing inordinate amounts of iron. Gear wheels are twice as expensive there, and recipes take about twice as many of them.

Ahh yeah. I am playing on normal recipes. If you play on high recipes how many belts of gears do you bus? Also, if you build a "mall" do you still need to bus gears since the "mall" can supply all gears necessary?

Dirk Pitt fucked around with this message at 12:00 on May 2, 2017

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
I'd recommend putting at least iron, copper, steel, gears, all three circuits and batteries on the bus. There aren't a lot of recipes that use batteries, but they are spread out in the other items they need so putting batteries on the bus helps save headaches. Some possible additions if you'd like are coal, stone, stone brick and concrete. Most everything that needs coal is also well served being taken care of near or in your oil products where coal is already available, so you could skip that if you design your factory with that in mind. Stone, stone brick and concrete (the latter with this patch and the nuclear machines) could be taken care of in a new dedicated area, much like oil is, if you'd prefer.

I used to bus plastic, but after looking at the recipes that require it I'm not going to anymore. The only things that need plastic are red circuits, both types of cannon shells and the low density structures for rockets. I think I'm just going to make my red circuits and cannon shells (which needs explosives, which is also right there) next to a simpler plastic setup, and when I eventually launch my first rocket I'll set up a new plastic factory closer to my rocket production area that outputs a lot more.

I don't see a reason to put engines on the bus. When I set up a non-science, larger scale automation of engines, I'm also doing it to set up electrical engines, which I'm setting up for bots. With those four recipes, everything else you can build out of engines can be built out of the supplies in that area. I throw locomotive, pump and flame turret production in that area. Cars and tanks I only make one or two of at a time so I make those by hand, and beakers are done in my research area. For electrical engines, the only items outside of robot frames that use them are exoskeletons (usually handmade, but if automated it's not until robots are fully up and running, so no bus needed), power armor (handmade) and rocket silos (bring in some concrete and blue circuits and you're golden, again, not until robots are up and running). Purple beakers are of course made over in the research area.

I restarted my island start since I realized I really screwed myself with my original factory layout and my new one is going much smoother. So, when I get off the island and set up a larger, more scalable factory I'm planning on going with a design roughly like this:
pre:
                     Stone Products  Research
                                  ^  ^
                                  ^  ^
                                 ============== Iron
                                 ============== Copper
Rail Depot - Furnaces - Main Bus ============== Steel/Batteries/Gears
                                 ============== Green Circuits
                                 ============== Red/Blue Circuits
                                  v
                                  v
                      Oil Products/Combat Items

Onean fucked around with this message at 12:24 on May 2, 2017

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The problem with not putting plastic on the bus is that now you have to put coal on the bus to actually make the plastic where you're going to use it, so if you were previously skipping coal you don't really gain anything...

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
On the other hand, the only things that use plastic are red chips (a ton), cannon shells (and how many are you going to make, really?), and then low density structure for the rockets (a fuckton). So having just a localized plastic zone can make sense. No point in transporting plastic on the bus past where it will be used, too.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Don't you want coal on the bus for your explosives/grenade production anyway? Or do you just set up a train stop right next to that area by the time you get ready to set it up?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

i wish there were gameplay reasons to make a proper tank factory

stick a basic AI core in those and set them loose to find trouble

they'll inevitably run out of ammo or get owned otherwise, but that's why you've got them coming off an assembly line

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Jack the Lad posted:

There's much better answers already, but the basic number one rule is that you want to compress your materials as much as possible when bussing items. Iron:gears is 2:1 normally, so you get half the capacity/belt using local gear production vs. bussing it.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
There's a cost benefit analysis someone could do where the increased logistical capacity vs making something like a gear assembler block, but the fact of buses is you bus because its convenient to plan around. Thus you bus gears if you want to just tap off gears in a sub factory and you don't if you stay more organized if you create a gear assembler at the head of a sub factory.

A lane of gears is a sick amount of gears, which you may need logistically some day, but then its also like lanes of plate are cheap in size and resources and pretty soon your idea of "modular sub factory" is fed by a train station eating ore and what happens after that is at a scale you've planned for with extra lanes of iron plate or a lane of iron gears.

e. and its worth mentioning one of the double edged swords of buses for example

Dirk Pitt posted:

On my fourth factory now, I have had my factory grind to a halt every time I get to blue science, this time I built huge. Turning on blue science didn't even make my bus miss a beat. Bigger really is better. That and a little planning prevents me from just restarting when things slow down. Easier to fix issues when there is space.
Make sure your raws can actually supply your consumers long term because a bus often ends up being a bandaid because its in effect a gigantic chest full of poo poo that everything can pull from. This is useful as it can give you time to find new raw materials as they run out or give you some slack. But it can also pull the wool over your eyes because its hard to judge the flux of a logjammed bus until its too late and random parts of it are slack while some are still log jammed until you hit an end state and the entire factory has fallen over broke.

zedprime fucked around with this message at 15:33 on May 2, 2017

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
Do you guys enjoy building these bus factories or do you do them because it's the Optimal Way? I tried one once and it ended up indistinguishable from every other bus factory I've seen: neat and dead inside. I really don't get the appeal.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

seravid posted:

Do you guys enjoy building these bus factories or do you do them because it's the Optimal Way? I tried one once and it ended up indistinguishable from every other bus factory I've seen: neat and dead inside. I really don't get the appeal.

The numbers get bigger more.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I do a bus because its convenient. Everything else I do is far more slapdash, but the bus is there because otherwise I have a poo poo ton of problems getting resources to my actual assemblers and its not fun spending half an hour going "oh for fucks sake i'm going to have to route this belt around my ENTIRE factory".

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Its an organizational tool to section out a throughway for getting plates from A to Z while feeding sub users B-Y. Sectioning out a throughway is useful while you're organically building up to leave room for bandwidth expansions which is where my non-bus factories always turned into headaches.

It also happens to be a big warehouse of poo poo which as I mentioned can be useful to absorb lulls in raw supplies or keep things from drying out when you spin up the assembler factory once every 20 minutes.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Also, bussing is hardly optimal, it's just a way to compartmentalize things so that you don't have to think about the whole factory all at once.

True doom murderheads will make end products each with their own dedicated supply chain, going right back to the resource nodes.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I HIGHLY recommend bussing gears now with the new science packs. It didn't used to be necessary but now that you need assembling machines, engines, and gun turrets for science packs it's extremely worthwile and I'd say that even without automating red belts/splitters/underbelts you're still making at least 1/3rd of your overall iron production into gears.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

Toilet Rascal

zedprime posted:

There's a cost benefit analysis someone could do where the increased logistical capacity vs making something like a gear assembler block, but the fact of buses is you bus because its convenient to plan around. Thus you bus gears if you want to just tap off gears in a sub factory and you don't if you stay more organized if you create a gear assembler at the head of a sub factory.

A lane of gears is a sick amount of gears, which you may need logistically some day, but then its also like lanes of plate are cheap in size and resources and pretty soon your idea of "modular sub factory" is fed by a train station eating ore and what happens after that is at a scale you've planned for with extra lanes of iron plate or a lane of iron gears.

e. and its worth mentioning one of the double edged swords of buses for example

Make sure your raws can actually supply your consumers long term because a bus often ends up being a bandaid because its in effect a gigantic chest full of poo poo that everything can pull from. This is useful as it can give you time to find new raw materials as they run out or give you some slack. But it can also pull the wool over your eyes because its hard to judge the flux of a logjammed bus until its too late and random parts of it are slack while some are still log jammed until you hit an end state and the entire factory has fallen over broke.

Yeah. I am working to consume evenly and getting ready for rail to get to my smelting area to feed the bus.

seravid posted:

I think it is fun. I get messy outside the bus, but I have a place I know to get resources from.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

zedprime posted:

If your bus is your whole factory, production statistics should show you if you're outstripping​ supply. You can also just visually inspect and see where the backup ends and if it's moving further down belt or further up belt. This is easier than distributed production. If you make gears everywhere they're needed, you won't be able to tell if you're producing enough. Likewise, if you've got 5 belts of iron flowing all over the place, you are going to have one heck of a time figuring out quickly if you're producing enough, and if you're not, where is the shortfall?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I mean, unless you've got some ridiculous megafactory that takes 10 minutes to walk across...

Wait, that's all of us. Nevermind.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Mr. Powers posted:

If your bus is your whole factory, production statistics should show you if you're outstripping​ supply. You can also just visually inspect and see where the backup ends and if it's moving further down belt or further up belt. This is easier than distributed production. If you make gears everywhere they're needed, you won't be able to tell if you're producing enough. Likewise, if you've got 5 belts of iron flowing all over the place, you are going to have one heck of a time figuring out quickly if you're producing enough, and if you're not, where is the shortfall?

If you built gears everywhere they were needed, you wouldn't need to care whether you were producing enough. You'd just be worrying about whether you were producing enough iron.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Dr. Stab posted:

If you built gears everywhere they were needed, you wouldn't need to care whether you were producing enough. You'd just be worrying about whether you were producing enough iron.

See the second point. If you're not busing and just using individual feeds, you still have the problem of figuring out where your shortfalls are.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

This game I made a bus for batteries out of habit, but in retrospect it's not needed now you can barrel acid. Especially since I'm already carrying acid around for blue circuits.

Now that I'm in the post-game I've started making outposts to produce materials for my main factory rather than try to upgrade belt throughput. It started with a steel foundry to relieve stress on my iron supplies, then I did one for circuits. Now I'm working on advanced circuits, which require a separate oil refinery and plastic factory, with an end goal of spinning everything off to an outpost and running a huge meta-factory with logistics powered by rail.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Instead of trying to fine tune a bus by sight and stats I am an avid spreadsheeter. Production stats can be useful but I make a lot of stuff on demand, ie I choke down my inserter chest for 200 and come by and grab 200 (or the bots do) and everything spins up to make 200. The inventory capacity of the bus should just absorb that because it amortizes down to some trickle of resources over a meaningful time period. Which you can sort of see in the production stats but most of us are growing constantly so any flux it susses out might have been addressed 20 minutes ago and its just waiting for old numbers to fall out of the running.

That's separate from the things I want running hell or high water at a specified rate like research and rocket parts. At which point I run the numbers, make sure I have furnace and belt capacity for it, then add some fat to take up those incidental drains like making stacks of inserters and assemblers every half hour.

The newish belt circuit stuff is useful for that too because you can logically restrict offtake to prefer your research or rocket parts instead of needing to put them at the head of the bus to guarantee they get preferential treatment over building and military supplies.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Is there any downside to bussing whatever the hell I want? Cause I didn't bus gears in my starter factory and it was a major pain in the rear end. Having to put gear assemblers where they were needed made my assembly stacks messy and annoying.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Aside from that bus using up resources until its saturated fully, no reason not to.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

Loopoo posted:

Is there any downside to bussing whatever the hell I want? Cause I didn't bus gears in my starter factory and it was a major pain in the rear end. Having to put gear assemblers where they were needed made my assembly stacks messy and annoying.

It takes up real estate and demands you expand slightly more, but that's about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

seravid posted:

I actually really like the visual appeal of a massive super wide bus with lane after lane saturated with materials. I like how crisp it looks and it's a very good indicator of pure manufacturing power. It's also a lot more convenient, especially when you're still working up the tech tree, but that's more of a side benefit for me.

Nothing wrong with a chaotic spaghetti factory, or a super huge rail maze where you manufacture everything you need on site, or some super clean robot-powered hellscape, but for me I just like to build around a huge fat bus.

I mean pretty much 95% of this game's appeal is allowing you to express your :spergin: to your own personal taste anyway.