Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
Using three letter airport codes in place of actual geographic names. Sorry, but I don't happen to know where BAK is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JOHNSON COCKSLAP
Apr 2, 2017

by Lowtax

Cowslips Warren posted:

One of my friends has a six year old who likes to hit people. Not hard, but sometimes if you tell him some bad news (IE, the popcorn bag is empty) he'll let a punch fly at you. His parents don't think anything is wrong with this.

A coworker (different person) thinks the school principal was 'over the line' in suspending her son for threatening him and damaging school property.

So if I, a childless person, tell the adults what for (IE, your kid needs to not loving hit me), the parents get super angry because when I have kids of my own, I'll know how it is! Yes. Yes. IF I ever had kids, I would teach them not to hit people or threaten to blow up a school!

"You're not a parent, you don't understand!"

just call cps on them.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

gleebster posted:

Using three letter airport codes in place of actual geographic names. Sorry, but I don't happen to know where BAK is.

Unless they are pilots that is really obnoxious, but I do know the type - a person who constantly refers to themselves as a "jetsetter" and feels really superior because of it. So you fly a couple times a week, who cares? Flying isn't the interesting part, talk about what you do after you land.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

gleebster posted:

I like the ones that are named after the identifier, makes things so much easier for everyone and I kinda wish that was the norm.

LAX, RDU, etc.

E: I know they're technically not named that but 99% of people call them that.

Rolo has a new favorite as of 15:54 on May 1, 2017

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Quote isn't edit.

I hate people being anti sports on the internet like it's not much more annoying to read 'hand egg, sports ball and superb owl' over and over and over every time someone brings up football.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Rolo posted:

I like the ones that are named after the identifier, makes things so much easier for everyone and I kinda wish that was the norm.

LAX, RDU, etc.

E: I know they're technically not named that but 99% of people call them that.

Where the hell is RDU?

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

yeah I eat rear end posted:

You guys must have some delicious cough syrup down there if you think it tastes like root beer.

I heard the root beer/cough syrup comparison from an Australian girl I used to know, and I also heard the same thing about vanilla from a Taiwanese guy, so root beer floats are my go-to remedy whenever I feel a sore throat coming on. It works.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Root beer was medicine used by pharmacists long before they started loading it up with sugar

Mu Zeta has a new favorite as of 16:13 on May 1, 2017

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

yo rear end is grass posted:

I heard the root beer/cough syrup comparison from an Australian girl I used to know, and I also heard the same thing about vanilla from a Taiwanese guy, so root beer floats are my go-to remedy whenever I feel a sore throat coming on. It works.

It totally tastes like cough syrup. Thing is...I like the taste of cough syrup.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

gleebster posted:

Where the hell is RDU?

Raleigh NC. I used it as an example because even the big greeting while driving onto the property calls it RDU.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Did George Lucas write that episode.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Rolo posted:

Raleigh NC. I used it as an example because even the big greeting while driving onto the property calls it RDU.

Oh, I've never been in North Carolina in my life. I thought you were deliberately doing an obnoxious little thing to make me become unreasonably angry.

gleebster has a new favorite as of 17:10 on May 1, 2017

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

gleebster posted:

Oh, I've never been in North Carolina in my life. I thought you were deliberately doing an obnoxious little thing to make me become unreasonably angry.

Almost gotcha :pgabz::pgabz::pgabz:

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Norfolk's airport is ORF, and apparently they embrace it and "take ORF" is a slogan they use.

At least BOS and PVD are fairly intuitive with regard to where they are. Although PVD is actually in Warwick, not Providence, because ???

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Rolo posted:

Quote isn't edit.

I hate people being anti sports on the internet like it's not much more annoying to read 'hand egg, sports ball and superb owl' over and over and over every time someone brings up football.

It's a big nerd thing in general to be super condescending about very ordinary things. Like I get it, you were bullied in school and you're still hung up on it, but it's normal and ok for adults to have a diverse range of interests and for sports to be one of them.

That's a pet peeve actually - people who define themselves extremely narrowly by a single interest, and get really adversarial about it. It is ok to like a thing and for it to be a major interest, but if you have one singular interest and nothing else, and also you get super defensive about it, that isn't mentally healthy.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Norfolk's airport is ORF, and apparently they embrace it and "take ORF" is a slogan they use.

At least BOS and PVD are fairly intuitive with regard to where they are. Although PVD is actually in Warwick, not Providence, because ???

Try working in shipping - I work for an ocean liner and our 3-letter designations are all hosed up

F96 - NY
YSV - Savannah

or there's Ho Chi Minh City which is still SGN, which tells you how old a lot of these designations are.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
I am unfamiliar with cough syrup that doesn't taste like awful grape or worse cherry, and root beer certainly doesn't taste like either of those.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

The restaurant I work at does deliveries. More often than you'd think, those deliveries are cancelled after we've made the order. When that happens, the food is put in the back for the staff to freely eat.
It's surreal seeing the entire wait staff progress past the kitchen, as the kitchen itself becomes a ghost town. I'll often be stuck dealing with bills by myself.
They will literally abandon their duties on the spot to stuff their faces. These people are either perpetually starving or I work with vultures in human suits.
The same goes for when mistakes are made. If a customer* orders X and the cook makes Y, then it's up for grabs. This leads to repeat offenders, and it's obvious as hell. Like "Oh man I've worked here for 6 years how could I make such a foolish mistake every other day? But my goodness does that look good!" kind of obvious.

*I mean guest. When you go to a restaurant you are referred to as a guest. Because I know that when I have guest over I charge them for everything I can think of, up to and including extra salt and pepper.

The Mighty Moltres has a new favorite as of 19:54 on May 1, 2017

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Bertrand Hustle posted:

The airport in Warwick is only about 10 minutes from Providence, so everybody calls it Providence except a couple sassy signs in the terminal.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Joey Freshwater posted:

Try working in shipping - I work for an ocean liner and our 3-letter designations are all hosed up

F96 - NY
YSV - Savannah

or there's Ho Chi Minh City which is still SGN, which tells you how old a lot of these designations are.

It gets worse in aviation as the airports get smaller. Our airways are all mostly numbers, but the 5 character waypoints can be fun, like NINJA TRTLS going into South Carolina, or several routes: FFORD SHLBI, MOPPR CHRGR and CHVEE CRVET all converging on FLLGG FFNSH going into Charlotte (a big racing community.)

It's obnoxious that they weren't this fun with all arrival procedures.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

Tiggum posted:

Have you asked him why he doesn't just go commit a crime then? It's not like going to prison is difficult to accomplish.

This being Australia, he'd have to nearly murder someone in order to go to prison, especially as he was 18 at the time.

He settled by crashing his car and having his licence stripped off him, and moving to some bogan breeding hive in New South Wales.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

My city has branded itself over the last few years after its airport code for literally everything. Every hashtag pertaining to the city has the code in it. Every festival or event is named after it now. Businesses are naming themselves with the code. It's got to be even more pervasive than LAX at this point. The city is practically being renamed. I'm sure in a couple of years it will be on the greeting signs on the city boundaries.

Here are a few examples:

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Picnic Princess posted:

My city has branded itself over the last few years after its airport code for literally everything. Every hashtag pertaining to the city has the code in it. Every festival or event is named after it now. Businesses are naming themselves with the code. It's got to be even more pervasive than LAX at this point. The city is practically being renamed. I'm sure in a couple of years it will be on the greeting signs on the city boundaries.

Here are a few examples:

Now that's obnoxious. Especially because no one is going to get from "YYC" to "Calgary" unless they already know. That you for including at least one sign with the actual name.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

yo rear end is grass posted:

The restaurant I work at does deliveries. More often than you'd think, those deliveries are cancelled after we've made the order. When that happens, the food is put in the back for the staff to freely eat.
It's surreal seeing the entire wait staff progress past the kitchen, as the kitchen itself becomes a ghost town. I'll often be stuck dealing with bills by myself.
They will literally abandon their duties on the spot to stuff their faces. These people are either perpetually starving or I work with vultures in human suits.
The same goes for when mistakes are made. If a customer* orders X and the cook makes Y, then it's up for grabs. This leads to repeat offenders, and it's obvious as hell. Like "Oh man I've worked here for 6 years how could I make such a foolish mistake every other day? But my goodness does that look good!" kind of obvious.

*I mean guest. When you go to a restaurant you are referred to as a guest. Because I know that when I have guest over I charge them for everything I can think of, up to and including extra salt and pepper.

Free food makes people do really stupid things. We used to get free breakfast delivered on Fridays, and people were like vultures. The food wasn't even very good, but it was free. One guy would collect yogurts from Friday breakfasts and keep them, uneaten, in his cubicle. He finally got a cubicle mate who sneaked over and threw them all out while he was on vacation.

Unrelated peeve: "HIPPA." You may be a HIPAA expert, but until you learn how to spell the acronym, I'm not going to trust anything you say about it. It's not a zoo animal, it's a law.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Rolo posted:

Wasn't "superb owl" just a Stephen Colbert joke about how you're not allowed to use the words "super bowl" to promote things due to trademark licensing?

Sic Semper Goon posted:

This being Australia, he'd have to nearly murder someone in order to go to prison
I'm fairly certain this is not true. I don't know off the top of my head what the easiest way to go to prison would be, but I do know we lock people up for things other than murder and attempted murder.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.
my new roommate has a few annoying habits, but most of those are related to being a total sperg. Like actually diagnosed and fairly deep on the spectrum, but still mostly functional, but gets disability and only works a little bit, and goes through school through voc rehab, kinda stuff, so its kinda easy to overlook some of the stuff like the compulsive lying like a five year old desperate to make friends. Yes, I'm sure your grandfather killed a serial rapist with a sniper shot. Yes, I'm sure you totally fought five gang members yourself. Yes, I'm sure I'm sure you had a chance at being a professional video gamer. Or the not quite getting the hint that we are not interested in what he is talking about. And that we are trying to sit here and watch a movie.Or "My husband is a former marine drill instructor. He very much likes order. His idea of order. Don't bother trying to wash dishes, because he's only going to wash them behind you and you're going to have wasted your time. Doesn't matter how good a dishwasher you are, he's going to do it his way." Or "Fussing over our child when he falls down trying to walk is just going to encourage him to ham it up to get cuddles. Pick him up, make sure he' didn't actually hurt himself and just scared himself and tell him he's tougher than the floor. He stops crying about .2 seconds after he's back on his feet" and wants to make a show out of it. But he's never been around kids, so it's not an awful thing to go towards. Like he wants to make himself useful, he just has no idea...how. So I appreciate the effort, it's just these sorts of things go right over his head, so we cut him some slack.

But the one thing he does that I absolutely can't look past is that when he smokes he like forces it out of his lungs and is loud as gently caress doing it.

It is so loving annoying.

That, and he's paying our rent for us. Not his share, all of it, and then $30 on top for food. So...yeah. My nephew is autistic, so I'm kinda used to a lot of it, and a lot of roommate's issues are just from being in an awful negative feedback loop for too long - his parents kinda stuck their head in the sand to his issues until he was out of high school (not to mention that he is from a small town...with probably no special ed department, or if there was, it was likely for kids way less functional than someone who is functional, but just pretty well on the spectrum.) and he kept getting arrested for stupid rear end poo poo like trespassing, and a condition of his release wound up being that he see a psych, who diagnosed him with autism and schizophrenia right quick, and now that he's on meds, his worst mannerisms are just minor annoyances.

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫
People who have yet to embrace the GPS. These come in all ages. And I don't mean that these people refuse to use them. But that they refuse to accept that other people use them.

I need you to go to place
okay text me the address and I'll be there
You know where smith street is?
No
Well it's right above minister ave. You know where that is right?
No. Can you send me the address?
What about the pizza pizza place on third street?
No
Burger king on fifth street?
Yeah
Okay well you drive straight past that. Then take the third turn to the right, then make a left at the pizza place and continue on that road until you see a white building, at which point you turn left.
What address is that?

This happens either because the other person is so old that they can't comprehend the GPS. Or they are so familiar with the city itself that they can't grasp that someone else would have trouble navigating by rambled directions.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Catberry posted:

This happens either because the other person is so old that they can't comprehend the GPS. Or they are so familiar with the city itself that they can't grasp that someone else would have trouble navigating by rambled directions.
It predates GPS. I've always preferred getting the address and looking it up on a map, but people just will not believe that.

:v: "Well, you go left from the train station, then take the third right-"
:geno: "Hold on, I'm not going to remember that, just give me the address."
:v: "Oh, just let me explain, it's much easier."
:geno: "Not for me, I prefer to look at a map."
:v: "But I can just tell you how to get there!"
:geno: "If I have a map I can just refer to it if I need to, it's much easier."
:v: "Well, if you're sure... but it'd be much easier for me to just tell you how to get there!"

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I still don't understand why tourists ask for directions now. Use your loving phone. No it's not here, it's 4 miles that way. Use Google Maps.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

Mu Zeta posted:

I still don't understand why tourists ask for directions now. Use your loving phone. No it's not here, it's 4 miles that way. Use Google Maps.

It's quite possible they don't have data on their phones. Roaming is insanely expensive for me so turning it on isn't something worth considering.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Or you could just tell them. There have been many cases where I have driven by where google maps says it is and either couldn't see it at all or it just wasn't there. Google maps is not infallible and sometimes detailed verbal directions make things much easier.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I'm not talking about some hidden road, I mean large tourist attractions. Also there's like thousands of google employees working here it's pretty well mapped out.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Or they don't want to share their email and social media accounts with a sweaty airport customs agent.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

When you are trying to find a parking spot in a completely full lot and you find someone about to leave so you put your turn signal on and they get in the car and...just sit there. For well over a minute. What are you even doing? Start the car and move, I've been looking for a spot for half an hour.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Standing still on moving walkways like cattle at a slaughterhouse. Okay, some of them might be old and need to rest for a bit but try to stand to the right at the very least. :psyduck:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Rolo posted:

Quote isn't edit.

I would share a screenshot of his poo poo but I can't black-out people's names at the moment.

My Facebook post: "I turn on the Mets game. Five seconds later, deGrom gives up a two-run homer that brings the game from 2-1 Mets to 2-3 Nats. gently caress this. I turn on the Marlins game. Less than one second later, Adam Conley hits Gregory Polanco with a pitch to load the bases, then gives up a triple, bringing the score to 8-0 Pirates. I'm a jinx."

Response #1: "Yay sportsball?"
Response #2: "Put the ball in the place and get larger numbers of things!"

Why do people think this is so clever? I know if I said some poo poo like "Yay video games, put a pixel through another pixel and win points!" they'd have something to say about it.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Picnic Princess posted:

Here are a few examples:

Maybe get Rush to write a song about them.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Grevling posted:

Standing still on moving walkways like cattle at a slaughterhouse. Okay, some of them might be old and need to rest for a bit but try to stand to the right at the very least. :psyduck:

http://nordic.businessinsider.com/more-efficient-better-stand-escalators-busy-tfl-holborn-tube-station-study-walk-2017-3?r=US&IR=T

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

YeahTubaMike posted:

Why do people think this is so clever? I know if I said some poo poo like "Yay video games, put a pixel through another pixel and win points!" they'd have something to say about it.

"But with video games its about your own personal achievement not just being happy because someone else played a game well!" *Ignores the existence of pro video gamers, streamers and let's players*
:goonsay:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

YeahTubaMike posted:

I would share a screenshot of his poo poo but I can't black-out people's names at the moment.

My Facebook post: "I turn on the Mets game. Five seconds later, deGrom gives up a two-run homer that brings the game from 2-1 Mets to 2-3 Nats. gently caress this. I turn on the Marlins game. Less than one second later, Adam Conley hits Gregory Polanco with a pitch to load the bases, then gives up a triple, bringing the score to 8-0 Pirates. I'm a jinx."

Response #1: "Yay sportsball?"
Response #2: "Put the ball in the place and get larger numbers of things!"

The only thing more banal to post on Facebook about than what you had for lunch is what someone else did in a game (doesn't matter if it's an actual sport or snooker/golf/darts/NASCAR or a board game or even one of those computer video games) :smuggo: / :can:

Doesn't make me unreasonably angry though so sue me :shrug:

• Locked thread