Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Back to something fu...fuuu..... I can't say it.

Ex-Aid: Emu just activated Mighty Brothers XX and :stonk: what is going on?

It's obvious he's not a normal human being but this is not what I expected when he tossed the black gashat into his belt!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Yo, Strix, hit me up with your e-mail address or Discord or some other way to contact you, I've got a spare avatar cert code if you want it.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

PMush Perfect posted:

Yo, Strix, hit me up with your e-mail address or Discord or some other way to contact you, I've got a spare avatar cert code if you want it.

e: gone now

Why, thank you!

e: Thank you for the icon suggestion - worked perfectly. :D

e2: PMush Perfect is a kind, helpful soul who also let me chatter at them for a while about toku! And then said the thread might enjoy this! So!

My brief impressions of all of the Kamen Rider shows I have read about/seen, between looking at TVTropes's summaries of the shows, google/wiki, and this thread.

KR1: Dated, and honestly... I've seen a lot of Cyborg 009. I don't feel like retreading this ground just yet, and I'd rather come back when my tolerance to old toku is higher.
KRBlack: sounds super sad and dramatic and I've been assured it's insanely good so I'll get to it, but not immediately

Kuuga: flawed, ham-handed in parts, but it sticks the landing, has an incredible set of characters, and I love everything about it from the styling to the Criminal Minds-esque serial killers to Godai as a character to how the cops are handled and I could honestly talk about this one for a while, as it captured my heart. I regret watching it so fast given how much I want to still be watching it.

Agito: Two eps in, not a fan of the cop rivalry yet, but it's hitting the same beats as Kuuga in that I love everyone (most everyone) and it's fun to watch. I desperately want to marathon it once I'm free of Ex-Aid's spell. (Bonus the monster designs being right out of SMT is A++++)

The rest of Heisei: I intend to give everything a watch in order, or at least a three episode test, maybe skipping Hibiki. Given that Kuuga's summary wasn't the most enticing originally, I have no idea what'll be fantastic and what won't be, but I'm intrigued enough to go find out what clicks. (Also I hear Kiva is terrible vampire melodrama and I NEED that in my life)

Phase 2 Heisei: I'm gonna go from Decade to Double/W, this will be one hell of a mood whiplash... but I also hear that it was supposed to go Kiva --> Double, and the reason Decade exists was to help stem the flow of toys from both Sentai and KR premiering at the same time.

Wizard: apparently flashy and pretty and honestly I'm down for Ex Aid: now with dragons
Gaim: The Butcher kills Kamen Riders. Okay I want to see it.
Drive: The most appealing show in the entire TV tropes article from the description because I am weak for talking cars thanks to Transformers. I anticipate it being silly but good and up my alley.

And so on. Tentatively interested in Amazon/Amazons, but later, I have 329480938 episodes to watch before I get there.

tl;dr: I stand at the foot of a very, very tall mountain with a standard watching speed of 2-3 eps a day, pending insane marathons like Kuuga. (+Sentai, Ultraseven, Gavan, send help)

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 05:47 on May 2, 2017

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
re: nyaa

gently caress i knew i should've finished grabbing the back half of gogov

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
How is UltraSeven coming along, Strix? Managed to get any further, or have you stalled out for now

Curious if you've reached the first of the three two parters.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Burkion posted:

How is UltraSeven coming along, Strix? Managed to get any further, or have you stalled out for now

Curious if you've reached the first of the three two parters.

I feel like we need a Toku discord or something.

Ah, I'm watching ep 7 of Ultraseven now - got halfway through it yesterday before anxiety killed all watching. I am slow, but that's not gonna keep me from finding this tiny ufo prop to be adorable.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
God a Toku discord would be the worst.

I'd be the most obnoxious person in the world talking about all these weird or old shows while everyone else is actually discussing what is out currently.

But damnit more people need to know about Kosiedon

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Burkion posted:

I'd be the most obnoxious person in the world talking about all these weird or old shows while everyone else is actually discussing what is out currently.

The word "Bioman" suddenly triggers a channel-mute for half of the internet.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Burkion posted:

I'm afraid to ask, but: what's Kosiedon?

also yes bioman's on the to-watch list thanks to you and their cool suit designs.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The best thing is I've never had to say much on Bioman to stand atop the fan pile for it.

loving love that show though.

I misspelled it, it's actually Koseidon. Specifically, Dinosaur Corps Koseidon. It's a 1978 Tsuburaya production that's about a group of time travelers defending prehistory from alien invaders from the future to safeguard their present.

It's a wild ride.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84fkh3eHAsE

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

mikeycp posted:

Assuming you are going with Imagination Station's subs, they have everything uploaded on MEGA, which I'm currently downloading

drrockso20 fucked around with this message at 07:01 on May 2, 2017

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Wizard: apparently flashy and pretty and honestly I'm down for Ex Aid: now with dragons

Wizard wishes it was Ex-Aid with dragons.

I recommend OOOs before Wizard.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i'd recommend fourze, ooos, w, gaim and drive before wizard. heck, i'd recommend ghost before wizard.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Fezz posted:

Wizard wishes it was Ex-Aid with dragons.

I recommend OOOs before Wizard.
I'd recommend a punch to the groin before Wizard, but yes, OOO is good, that's not a backhanded compliment (I don't think).

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

drrockso20 posted:

Assuming you are going with Imagination Station's subs, they have everything uploaded on MEGA, which I'm currently downloading

oh nice. i'll have to get off my rear end and grab that.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Haha, I know, Wizard is bad but flashy.

The plan is

Ex-Aid -> Agito -> Heisei chronologically, with the intent to watch as much of every show I can stand / three-ep tests. Depending on mood I might jump back to Black, but I wanna do things in order. Ex-Aid has been an exception because I want to mouse over spoilers in this thread, like so: (ep 14 spoiler) Are these neon jerks actually going to try and completely cure pancreatic cancer? The hell? How?! *Also I'll be jumping back to keep caught up with Ex-Aid as it airs, along with Kyurangers.

Simultaneously

Kyurangers -> Liveman/Bioman/whatever gets me invested first -> onwards! (*If Timerangers gets a full sub that gets top priority.)

Ultraseven -> whatever comes next chronologically / or Orb depending on mood.

So I mean, I can't jump on the Wizard hatetrain for a while, but I'm getting there! Slowly~ :D

(Sorry for spamming the thread with my walls of words, but hey, what's more fun than watching someone run headfirst into toku they weren't prepared for?)

edit: UltraSeven ep 7 is miles different from 8 so far. 7's practically out of a comic book. "Catch the alien murderer, rescue your friend, of course Dan saves the day no problem" - even if I was a little skeptical at how the humans were all "yeah let's blow up this ufo instead of taking it back to base to lure in the monster" it still worked out.

Meanwhile ep 8 feels like an entirely different show - the directing, the writing, the mysterious incidents... I'm still watching it, but man, this really is Japanese Star Trek. From Spock's Brain to the City on the Edge of Forever in a single bound.

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 10:52 on May 2, 2017

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

mikeycp posted:

That's on mega if you go through Imagination Stations site

Reminder y'all I am the keeper of the ways and the keys and I autistically store all the toku download info

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

StrixNebulosa posted:

Haha, I know, Wizard is bad but flashy.

The plan is

Ex-Aid -> Agito -> Heisei chronologically, with the intent to watch as much of every show I can stand / three-ep tests. Depending on mood I might jump back to Black, but I wanna do things in order. Ex-Aid has been an exception because I want to mouse over spoilers in this thread, like so: (ep 14 spoiler) Are these neon jerks actually going to try and completely cure pancreatic cancer? The hell? How?! *Also I'll be jumping back to keep caught up with Ex-Aid as it airs, along with Kyurangers.

Simultaneously

Kyurangers -> Liveman/Bioman/whatever gets me invested first -> onwards! (*If Timerangers gets a full sub that gets top priority.)

Ultraseven -> whatever comes next chronologically / or Orb depending on mood.

So I mean, I can't jump on the Wizard hatetrain for a while, but I'm getting there! Slowly~ :D

(Sorry for spamming the thread with my walls of words, but hey, what's more fun than watching someone run headfirst into toku they weren't prepared for?)

edit: UltraSeven ep 7 is miles different from 8 so far. 7's practically out of a comic book. "Catch the alien murderer, rescue your friend, of course Dan saves the day no problem" - even if I was a little skeptical at how the humans were all "yeah let's blow up this ufo instead of taking it back to base to lure in the monster" it still worked out.

Meanwhile ep 8 feels like an entirely different show - the directing, the writing, the mysterious incidents... I'm still watching it, but man, this really is Japanese Star Trek. From Spock's Brain to the City on the Edge of Forever in a single bound.

A decent chunk of heisei rider hasn't been subbed competently. Please don't watch the shows that only have TVN subs because they are bad subs.

I actually came here because I'm watching Carranger and their boss saying "we call it money because of princess Diana" is my favorite thing

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

A decent chunk of heisei rider hasn't been subbed competently. Please don't watch the shows that only have TVN subs because they are bad subs.

I actually came here because I'm watching Carranger and their boss saying "we call it money because of princess Diana" is my favorite thing

I know they're bad subs, but...they're better than nothing and I really want to see these shows. :(

It also seems like other groups subbing these shows have given up in the middle or been stalled and it's depressing.

Brief UltraSeven chat: ep 8 of Ultraseven was really good, especially that little bit from the narrator at the end. A simple tale, but it highlighted something about humanity - that we really don't trust each other. And...it also highlighted something thought-provoking - it depicts a good futuristic society as one that obeys order and public law, and...that's nice, that's naive, that speaks to me of a society ruled by martial law. I know I'm coming from a society where the law is in the hands of the rich and powerful and they'll get away with damned near anything, but it's next to impossible to envision a society where the laws are just, fair, and immune to the inevitability of human corruption and greed.

...But that's me bringing my own baggage to a kid's show from the 60s, and it doesn't negate how good that episode was.

In conclusion: smoking alien cigarettes will turn you into a murderous lunatic, so don't smoke kids!

Ex-Aid ep 14 conclusion: He motherfucking cured pancreatic cancer by cutting out every single metastasizing cell. What. What. Ex-Aid you win I can't take you seriously please keep being gloriously, intensely stupid. Give the next victim leprosy or the black plague please.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
Yessssssssssssssssssssssss

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

StrixNebulosa posted:

Ex-Aid ep 14 conclusion: He motherfucking cured pancreatic cancer by cutting out every single metastasizing cell. What. What. Ex-Aid you win I can't take you seriously please keep being gloriously, intensely stupid. Give the next victim leprosy or the black plague please.

You have to understand something about Hiiro. When he says, "I can cut anything," he is not loving around.

I've read somewhere that it's a side effect of his Gashat compatibility inoculation, but the fact is that he borders on being supernaturally good at precision cuts, even with substandard tools.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i'd recommend fourze, ooos, w, gaim and drive before wizard. heck, i'd recommend ghost before wizard.

I'm the opposite, I'd recommend Wizard over Ghost any day.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

I know they're bad subs, but...they're better than nothing and I really want to see these shows. :(

It also seems like other groups subbing these shows have given up in the middle or been stalled and it's depressing.

Brief UltraSeven chat: ep 8 of Ultraseven was really good, especially that little bit from the narrator at the end. A simple tale, but it highlighted something about humanity - that we really don't trust each other. And...it also highlighted something thought-provoking - it depicts a good futuristic society as one that obeys order and public law, and...that's nice, that's naive, that speaks to me of a society ruled by martial law. I know I'm coming from a society where the law is in the hands of the rich and powerful and they'll get away with damned near anything, but it's next to impossible to envision a society where the laws are just, fair, and immune to the inevitability of human corruption and greed.

...But that's me bringing my own baggage to a kid's show from the 60s, and it doesn't negate how good that episode was.

In conclusion: smoking alien cigarettes will turn you into a murderous lunatic, so don't smoke kids!

leprosy and bubonic plague are easily treatable conditions

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Twelve by Pies posted:

I'm the opposite, I'd recommend Wizard over Ghost any day.

Yeah, the last half of Ghost is the single most painful stretch of Rider I've ever managed to sit through. (So much plot nonsense, Takeru dominating everything while the cooler Specter and Necrom become useless cheerleaders, and the worst villains I've seen in Rider. Hibiki's second half drove me off entirely so I didn't finish it.)

Mind you, my overall least favorite season is Drive (mostly because I can't stand how it handles the Roidmudes, some misogyny issues, and finding Shinnosuke stunningly boring and Gou infuriatingly annoying) so my tastes aren't average. Wizard is as stunningly mediocre as it is possible to be without me disliking it that much, though.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Personally, I'd recommend actually watching a good series over watching either Wizard or Ghost. There's a lot of series to go through even with Kamen Rider alone to waste time suffering the bad ones.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

Personally, I'd recommend actually watching a good series over watching either Wizard or Ghost. There's a lot of series to go through even with Kamen Rider alone to waste time suffering the bad ones.

Yeah, even in the area of dubiously plotted Rider, there are more fun ones to watch. (I have gotten so much mileage out of watching Kabuto with a friend and the two of us just riffing on it while appreciating the good bits. Same with Agito, although it has more good bits and mostly just has villain issues, a hilariously irrelevant protagonist, and an absurd level of cruelty. And Another Agito.)

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

StrixNebulosa posted:

The hilarious thing is that it was absolutely not about not smoking. It could have been any mundane thing that set people off- eating, drinking, whatever. Smoking was just ubiquitous back in the 60s.

Also an interesting thing to remember about the world of UltraSeven, is that it is one with constant alien invaders and giant monsters. Humanity has had to band together in the face of that, otherwise they would have been wiped out long ago.

Though, don't think the world is all THAT nice and fluffy. It'll be a bit, but you're oging to run into the nastier aspects of humanity soon enough

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Hmm. Anidex, the site O-T say they've moved their subs to, is either dead or my connection/computer doesn't like it, because I can't access it.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Use the magnet links on tosho, in the meantime - it's sluggish but it's working.

Basically all the niche anime torrent sites are gonna be wonky while people scramble to try them out.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

StrixNebulosa posted:

they're better than nothing

they literally are not this

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Twelve by Pies posted:

Hmm. Anidex, the site O-T say they've moved their subs to, is either dead or my connection/computer doesn't like it, because I can't access it.

try again, it didn't work for me last night but it seems fine now (probably got messed up with the unexpected rush of traffic of people scrambling to find a nyaa replacement)

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Okay, AniDex loaded for me, but I'm having an issue. I fully admit I am a giant moron so it's probably something simple, but I can't figure it out.

I found the link for Excite's Ex-Aid 29, I click on it and I click the Torrent button beside Downloads, and it just takes me back to the main torrent list, and nothing downloads. I did finally get the torrent running by clicking the magnet, but is there any reason why I can't download the torrent file?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Twelve by Pies posted:

Okay, AniDex loaded for me, but I'm having an issue. I fully admit I am a giant moron so it's probably something simple, but I can't figure it out.

I found the link for Excite's Ex-Aid 29, I click on it and I click the Torrent button beside Downloads, and it just takes me back to the main torrent list, and nothing downloads. I did finally get the torrent running by clicking the magnet, but is there any reason why I can't download the torrent file?

You aren't doing anything wrong. The torrent links just don't work right now and redirect to the torrent list instead. The magnet links are the way to go until that gets fixed, preferably by shooting it with a sword-axe-gun loaded with pure mecha power.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
anidex never had to handle this much traffic before so there are bound to be some growing pains

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Yeah that makes sense, looks like there's a lot of toku sites moving over there, I saw quite a few toku torrents on the tracker, from sub groups I've never heard of. Kinda want to download that Goggle V movie, I've always liked older Sentai and I'd love to see more of it.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Ex-Aid episode 18: So Emu's pretty much dead at this point, and I bet Dan's gonna land on that corpse pile when Parad's done with him.

...This show teeters between being terrible and so melodramatic/silly that I don't care about all the plot flaws/idiotic writing. Ah well, I'm stuck in a brain-lock where I have to finish it before I can watch any other Kamen Rider show, so onwards I go!

:3: so cute!

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 05:52 on May 4, 2017

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
Ex-aid is absolutely an acquired taste at this point, it seems. I can't get enough of the completely straight-faced medical drama that happens to work on video game logic.

Also, 29:

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
My favourite thing about EX-AID is that it escalates constantly. It resolves lots of plot points as it goes along but creates and keeps so many others for just the right moment and then just slots it into place perfectly. It might be ludicrous but goddamn if it isn't a well built narrative machine I don't know what is.

Tragedienne
Sep 7, 2007

"I need your stage no longer. I dance for myself."
Ex-Aid is the first KR I've followed as it has aired, and legitimately one of the few shows I look forward to each week. I hope they can keep this up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

TheLastRoboKy posted:

My favourite thing about EX-AID is that it escalates constantly. It resolves lots of plot points as it goes along but creates and keeps so many others for just the right moment and then just slots it into place perfectly. It might be ludicrous but goddamn if it isn't a well built narrative machine I don't know what is.

Agreed. It's doing a fantastic juggling act of manipulating its own dumb plot movements. I don't find the actual plot itself to be anything amazing, but the reveals and twists are excellently done.

Tragedienne posted:

Ex-Aid is the first KR I've followed as it has aired, and legitimately one of the few shows I look forward to each week. I hope they can keep this up.

I wish I had watched it the way you're watching it: when you do 20 episodes all at once, it's amazingly exasperating. I kept teetering between "yeah this is good" and "oh god why" - but that's on me and my binge-watching.

I've made it to episode 23 and thanks to the sudden break in the status quo my brain has agreed that I can finally stop marathoning it, so I'm shifting to Agito tonight. :rip: Kuroto you were an eternal child. I have no idea what Parad's gonna do next but I'll save it for later. My favorite character is Hiiro, Taiga's interesting (love his relationship with the hacker girl) and Emu's, eh, okay I guess.

• Locked thread