Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
What we should focus on here is how dope it is to work on and fix your own car. It owns. Unless it involves the electrical system, which I absolutely will never gently caress with, fix your own car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

Mel Mudkiper posted:

An ironic joke was performative you say?

backing down when challengedly An ironic joke was performative you say?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

No Irish Need Imply posted:

What we should focus on here is how dope it is to work on and fix your own car. It owns. Unless it involves the electrical system, which I absolutely will never gently caress with, fix your own car.

I am not sure changing a tire even counts as fixing it. It's just like, putting on a tire. Takes 10 minutes tops.

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

If those drivers want other jobs they should hit the pavement and hand out their resumes business cards to hiring managers.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I am not sure changing a tire even counts as fixing it. It's just like, putting on a tire. Takes 10 minutes tops.
Just because it's easy doesn't mean it doesn't count.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Just because it's easy doesn't mean it doesn't count.

The subtitle of my sex life

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

yeah I am about to get some stands for my car so I can rotate my own tires and also swap out my brakes and rotors :hellyeah:

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
nobody ever taught me how to fix cars

♫ cats and the cradle and the silver spoon ♫

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Ehud posted:

yeah I am about to get some stands for my car

I really recommended Star Platinum

Then again Crazy Diamond could do the job for you instantly

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

everything is on youtube

Nov 6, 2002

Time is money. I'm more than happy at this point in my life to pay someone than to waste a weekend of my life figuring out how to install new brake pads and rotors.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

Me, neither! The internet has a surprising amount of good information on fixing your own car, though. That's how I do it. The first time I decided to go for it on my own, I didn't want to pay labor fees on changing my brakes so I Googled it. It was pretty intimidating at first but most issues are fairly straightforward.

BrownThunder
Oct 26, 2005

EXTEND BEN!
Forever and ever and ever

Phobeste posted:

backing down when challengedly An ironic joke was performative you say?

Don't forget the irony asterisk for when you need to backpedal hard

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Me, neither! The internet has a surprising amount of good information on fixing your own car, though. That's how I do it. The first time I decided to go for it on my own, I didn't want to pay labor fees on changing my brakes so I Googled it. It was pretty intimidating at first but most issues are fairly straightforward.

When my tire popped I never had to before and had a youtube video tell me

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Can't you end up voiding the warranty on your car if you start loving around with it and mess something up?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Time is money. I'm more than happy at this point in my life to pay someone than to waste a weekend of my life figuring out how to install new brake pads and rotors.

2 hours of your time is worth over a hundred dollars? drat.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Best YouTube car advice I ever got was how to remove a rusted wheel using another wheel

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Can't you end up voiding the warranty on your car if you start loving around with it and mess something up?

Warranty? Sorry not all of us can holler at the butler to swing the rolls by the dealership to have them swap it out with a new one

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Depends. Routine maintenance is legally protected after dealerships tried to force people to get it done at the dealership and there was public backlash. Anything that you repair that a warranty would cover, and you gently caress it up, thats on you.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I have "slightly high" ldl cholesterol.

Guess it's time to change up this diet to the max.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
LDL is the "good" cholesterol so it's not as bad as it seems

Nov 6, 2002

Volkerball posted:

If you grew up around cars, or had someone to show you and you already have all the equipment and tools needed, I totally understand why you would do your own car maintenance.

But guess what, you can't be a master of all trades. And it's pretty glib to just tell someone they can easily replace their brakes in a few hours when they have no idea what they're doing, don't know if they have the right parts and probably don't have the right tools to begin with.

It's like nerds telling people "just build your own pc!" Simple enough if you already know what you're doing.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

If you grew up around cars, or had someone to show you and you already have all the equipment and tools needed, I totally understand why you would do your own car maintenance.

But guess what, you can't be a master of all trades. And it's pretty glib to just tell someone they can easily replace their brakes in a few hours when they have no idea what they're doing, don't know if they have the right parts and probably don't have the right tools to begin with.

It's like nerds telling people "just build your own pc!" Simple enough if you already know what you're doing.

It's like 3 pieces. Taking off the tire is half the work.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
Lol if you actually buy cars and don't lease them

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
It sounds like you just don't want to, which is fine. It's not for everyone. I like doing it. I grew up with public transit and didn't drive until I was 21, nobody taught me how to fix cars. I just got tired of getting screwed by mechanics so I went out and bought some tools and learned how.

I love cleaning, it makes me zen as gently caress. Doesn't mean I don't occasionally hire a maid.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Eli Wiggum posted:

LDL is bad cholesterol, not as bad as VLDL but still bad. HDL is the good cholesterol and you should want that above 50. Changing cholesterol through diet is extremely difficult to the point where diet alone is no longer a recommendation. If you want to reduce your LDL and raise HDL, workout and drink a beer afterwards. Working out promotes HDL synthesis (thereby reducing the substrates for LDL synthesis) and alcohol reduces LDL production (which means more substrate is shunted to the HDL pathway).

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

yeah but all service places suck and mess things up for on my car and also I like to pretend my Fiat is a race car and do all sorts of unnecessary things to it

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

swickles posted:

LDL is bad cholesterol, bot as bad as VLDL but still bad. HDL is the good cholesterol and you should want that above 50. Changing cholesterol through diet is extremely difficult to the point whete diet alone is no longer a recommendation. If you want to reduce your LDL and raise HDL, workout and drink a beer afterwards. Working out promotes HDL synthesis (thereby reducing the substrates for LDL synthesis) and alcohol reduces LDL production (which means more substrate is shunted to the HDL pathway).

Thanks doctor sausage fingers

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Volkerball posted:

lol is it not for you

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Also all I caught out of that was drink a beer, which I'm going to do at the behest of my pediatrician.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Eli Wiggum posted:

No that's HDL. LDL is the one with excess lipids

Edit: beaten by the doc :smith:

Mel Mudkiper fucked around with this message at 16:09 on May 2, 2017

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
LET ME JUST CUT OFF THE BAD POSTS NOW--THAT JOKE NEEDED AN IRONY ASTERISK AND I FORGOT IT

You can edit your posts

(Edited)

Schizophrenia

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Mel Mudkiper posted:

No that's HDL. LDL is the one with excess lipids.
And that's what happens when I haven't finished my morning coffee. I knew HDL was the good one because the "H" helps me remember that it's okay for it to be high while the "L" in LDL means it should be low. I'm embarrassed I got those two mixed up.

FUCKFACE MORON fucked around with this message at 16:11 on May 2, 2017

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

swickles I have a medical question how come in the Bible (which is god's truth) people lived to be over 900 years old but now life expectancy is much shorter?!

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

swickles posted:

LDL is bad cholesterol, not as bad as VLDL but still bad. HDL is the good cholesterol and you should want that above 50. Changing cholesterol through diet is extremely difficult to the point where diet alone is no longer a recommendation. If you want to reduce your LDL and raise HDL, workout and drink a beer afterwards. Working out promotes HDL synthesis (thereby reducing the substrates for LDL synthesis) and alcohol reduces LDL production (which means more substrate is shunted to the HDL pathway).

I can get down with post workout beers.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Blitz7x posted:

Lol if you actually buy cars and don't lease them

*Looks into the distance and sees a stormcloud of shitposts on the horizon*

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Ehud posted:

swickles I have a medical question how come in the Bible (which is god's truth) people lived to be over 900 years old but now life expectancy is much shorter?!

Because the sun used to revolve around the earth so years were shorter before our sins condemned us to heliocentrism

Nov 6, 2002

Ehud posted:

less carbs back then

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Ehud posted:

Paleo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I used to work on my car a bunch when I had a roommate who was a huge gearhead, and wanted to get me into cars too. I hated working on my car, and I'm just not mechanically minded enough to get into it. It didn't help that literally everything on my car was near broken, and was / needed to be replaced. I could probably list the things that I never needed to replace:

- chassis (lol)
- rear and side windows
- driver door
- engine (it was actually replaced by the previous owner)
- seats
- real axle

Pretty sure I replaced everything else at least once, or had planned to. I did a 3 day suspension job, which was probably the worst. Then my car got totaled by a semi in my last year of college, just before I could start making money to finish it up :smith:

I eventually bought a new car and let dealers / mechanics do it now. Much less stress in my life and I don't fear as much that I cut a corner and my life will be ruined.

• Locked thread