Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Blind Rasputin posted:

Well, I got myself the s8. It's a heck of a learning curve but christ does the iPhone feel like it's in the past. I love the customization and of course the screen and hardware just feel incredibly good. The fingerprint scanner works good.

Pardon the questions, am I supposed to be using the Samsung store and cloud and email/web apps, or the Google ones? Do I delete the AT&T Antivirus stuff and extra apps?

I already picked up SwiftKey which I am loving. And some cool transparent widgets. Are there any really good go-to apps or widgets or themes I should get?

Really thank you guys for the encouragement. I haven't used a non-iphone since the windows phone and I'm loving this.

For another keyboard alternative, try Swiftmoji. It's largely the same as SwiftKey but it gives emoji suggestions too.

I like the BBC News List widget and Event Flow Agenda widget.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

RVProfootballer posted:

Come on, stop pretending there aren't complaints all over the internet about the S8 sensor. It's not some Pixel warrior conspiracy.

I'm only referring to the sensors' speed and accuracy. I'm not a fan of the placement myself, but as I'm not buying one I'm not the one who has to mind it.

Blind Rasputin posted:

Pardon the questions, am I supposed to be using the Samsung store and cloud and email/web apps, or the Google ones? Do I delete the AT&T Antivirus stuff and extra apps?

You should use the Google Play Store for apps, but you should check the Samsung one as well as they usually give you a choice of free apps for purchasing the phone, if there's any you like, other than that you should only use the Samsung store for Samsung specific apps such as themes and camera stuff. As for the cloud, you should definitely use both, Google Drive/Photos gives you access to your files through pretty much any Web capable device, while the Samsung cloud will make restoring your phone less of a pain in the event you have to reset it. All the AT&T stuff can be safely disabled and hidden, never to be seen again.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
If anyone's been shopping around for a good case for their new S8 or Pixel, if you want a one-use 30% off Incipio Web Store code, PM me. I would just post it here, but then someone will use it and not *say* they used it, and then there'll be 5-10+ "the code doesn't work" replies.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Blind Rasputin posted:

Well, I got myself the s8. It's a heck of a learning curve but christ does the iPhone feel like it's in the past. I love the customization and of course the screen and hardware just feel incredibly good. The fingerprint scanner works good.

I already picked up SwiftKey which I am loving. And some cool transparent widgets. Are there any really good go-to apps or widgets or themes I should get?

Really thank you guys for the encouragement. I haven't used a non-iphone since the windows phone and I'm loving this.

Be sure to change your system font to Choco Cooky for the maximum Samsung Experience.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Benson posted a few more USB-C cable reviews.

Finally, we have a good, cheap, charging cable.
https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-USB-Type-C-2-0-Cable/dp/B01GGKZ1VA

The Amazon Basic's cable is USB-IF certified, tests well, and low IR drop, and is CHEAP. You can get it in 0.5ft, 3ft, 6ft, and 9ft sizes and all are under $10. It is only a 2.0 cable though which means it maxes out at 3A. So, no charging beyond 60w. Also no use as a monitor cable if you have a USB-C monitor. However, as something safe and cheap to charge phones, this is it. It even has an extruded connector rather than crimped.

If you want something in the USB 3.1 Gen2 range, you are still going to pay more, but this is about as cheap as they come at $18.
https://www.amazon.com/Veckle-Certified-Featured-Delivery-E-marker/dp/B071XSDH9D/

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Endless Mike posted:

Be sure to change your system font to Choco Cooky for the maximum Samsung Experience.

Finding out what sarnsung did to fonts to get people to by them was what pushed me over into believing that they are a garbage company.

Obligatory "first they came for the Note 7s and idgaf"

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
My Pixel says the May security patch can only be downloaded via WiFi until 5th May. What the Christ? It's only 62MB.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

RVProfootballer posted:

I don't mind you trolling a bit, but was being sincere :) Big knock on the S8 is the awful fingerprint sensor, which is not something that can be fixed. Otherwise, if you play with it for a minute and are fine with the software, go for it. Maybe it even has Flash for you.

My brother got one and holy hell is it awkward to try and use the finger print scanner. I actually plan on waiting till the s9 or maybe the next Note before upgrading. I like to read this thread on lunch though and thought it was about time for for the flash argument again. Riling up the Google purists is always fun too.

Gonna be getting lots of screen time tomorrow at jury duty though.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
I actually wish the Pixel/Nexus 6P fingerprint was lower so I could hit it while I'm pulling it out of my pocket (tiny hands).

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

CLAM DOWN posted:

The S8 fingerprint scanner is objectively garbage compared to the one even on the 6P, and definitely far inferior to the iPhone. The location is really poor design.

I'm actually not too impressed with the sensor on my iPhone 7 Plus - perhaps it's just how iOS works but it seems much slower than the one in my Nexus 6P (which was absolutely perfect for me)

fartzone_42069
Oct 11, 2009

Done some Googling. The wi-fi connection on my Galaxy S7 is way slower than my computer. I've heard of issues with 7.0 and wi-fi fuckiness. I just totally reformatted my phone. Still no dice.

Is is possible it has to do with my wi-fi? It's just xFinity set up in the default manner. Girlfriend's iPhone and our computers have no trouble with the wi-fi. My S7 connects fine, just runs at "slow" to "typical" on speed tests vs my computer which is "Fast!"

I need to check a friend's wi-fi to see if it's slow on there maybe, if I had friends.

How do I make wi-fi not poo poo-rear end on the S7 with 7.0? Thank You. :)

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

That's just the kind of excitement you get with a Samsung!

fartzone_42069
Oct 11, 2009

LastInLine posted:

That's just the kind of excitement you get with a Samsung!

I loved my S3. Kinda impulse bought this thing at the time, when I should have went with the Pixel or whichever LG was out at the time. Live and learn!

This thing isn't all that bad. But, if I get the wi-fi to not suck all the dicks, I dunno, I feel like that's doable.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
It's amazing Dunning-Krugers are still around recommending against charging phone batteries to 100% in 2017. Because those multibillion companies must know nuts about designing their own products, Note 7 aside.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

fartzone_42069 posted:

I loved my S3. Kinda impulse bought this thing at the time, when I should have went with the Pixel or whichever LG was out at the time. Live and learn!

This thing isn't all that bad. But, if I get the wi-fi to not suck all the dicks, I dunno, I feel like that's doable.

I'm only half joking and it was at the expense of the guy up the thread who said the iPhone wasn't exciting enough, not you.

The half that isn't joking though is what can you do? I don't think there are any settings for "run at half speed on this network" on your phone (you never know with Samsung though) and other devices seem fine. You can play around with your router settings, I guess, but really should you have to?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Palladium posted:

It's amazing Dunning-Krugers are still around recommending against charging phone batteries to 100% in 2017. Because those multibillion companies must know nuts about designing their own products, Note 7 aside.

Don't ever bring up disabling your page file in a computer thread, either. :ohdear:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

fartzone_42069 posted:

Test with an app that gives you a Mbit/sec number, like this one: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.zwanoo.android.speedtest&hl=en

If it maxes out at a particular number, it could be that the phone is negotiating a lower network speed than the computer for some reason.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Wrap it up boys. AP says you shouldn't buy a Pixel. Samsungs for everybody!

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
I mean, at this point, the Pixel is half a year old, had a rushed development and is pricey as hell while missing a bunch of features that people like. Telling people to get a premium shitphone to tide them over till they release Pixel 2: Not a Photoshopped HTC A9 is a good call.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

fartzone_42069 posted:

Done some Googling. The wi-fi connection on my Galaxy S7 is way slower than my computer. I've heard of issues with 7.0 and wi-fi fuckiness. I just totally reformatted my phone. Still no dice.

Is is possible it has to do with my wi-fi? It's just xFinity set up in the default manner. Girlfriend's iPhone and our computers have no trouble with the wi-fi. My S7 connects fine, just runs at "slow" to "typical" on speed tests vs my computer which is "Fast!"

I need to check a friend's wi-fi to see if it's slow on there maybe, if I had friends.

You aren't doing something dumb like using a Comcast​ modem and router combo are you? Because if you are it isn't the phone. Xfinity wifi is really awful.... I just had to add a router to my parents setup after they were having trouble with wifi speeds on their devices

fartzone_42069
Oct 11, 2009

I am using the xfinity modem/router thingy they provided. I'm sure it's not perfect. But it plays nice with my PC and my girlfriend's Apple and iPhone.

Anything I can set, in my router settings? Like, hey Comcast this is my phone, give it more juice!

Although using that speed test app vs using Google is getting me better numbers... I dunno. Still definitely slow and not always so connecty.

e: The Speed test app is connecting to a Comcast server, and giving good numners6.. Maybe it just doesn't like connecting to certain things. I dunno. I hate the future.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Endless Mike posted:

This is the best font

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

fartzone_42069 posted:

I am using the xfinity modem/router thingy they provided. I'm sure it's not perfect. But it plays nice with my PC and my girlfriend's Apple and iPhone.

Anything I can set, in my router settings? Like, hey Comcast this is my phone, give it more juice!

Although using that speed test app vs using Google is getting me better numbers... I dunno. Still definitely slow and not always so connecty.

e: The Speed test app is connecting to a Comcast server, and giving good numners6.. Maybe it just doesn't like connecting to certain things. I dunno. I hate the future.

ISP provided router/modem combos are literal garbage and you'd be well served to disable the routing functions and add your own router to the network. All of your other devices that are running fine would likely see increased speeds as well.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

The only thing that worked temporarily was changing the channel of the wifi. Eventually it would gently caress up. My dad's Samsung worked fine but their other connected devices were unusable like their fire stick and I noticed my Pixel was slow as gently caress as well on their network. Went from 12 MB down to 150 once I added a decent​ router

fartzone_42069
Oct 11, 2009

http://a.co/gkhFBAs

Good? We don't have a lot of bandwidth on our package, so one of the more expensive gigabitty ones seems unnecessary.

I fear the world of routers, because they've sucked and been finicky pieces of temperamental nonfunctional poo poo throughout the course of human history.

The xFinity all-in-one may be a piece of poo poo, but at least it pretty much works. I haven't had to with deal a dedicated router in years. They've always sucked. Do they still suck? (Every single router ever).

Like, I wanna spend my $30, plug it in, and have it work, and work better than before, in under 5 hours. Doable?

e: Just the thought of plugging up a router is triggering my spergs. (But thank you, I am gracious for your help and expertise!)

fartzone_42069 fucked around with this message at 15:09 on May 2, 2017

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

I bought some cheap Netgear router and it worked like what you want so I suppose things are better now?

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Routers are definitely better these days. I have the newer version listed on the link and having wireless ac is pretty nice. Also if you are wanting to pay as little as possible why are you renting a modem from Comcast? $120 a year down the drain. Unless you have a telephone line from them don't use their hot trash equipment

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It's getting harder and harder to bring your own equipment to ISPs. I know my parents' Xfinity endpoint is a combination router, WAP, Modem, and VOIP gateway. The later is the particularly troublesome piece as there's very few pieces of third party equipment or the that will do the function.

If you have FiOS and use their DVRs, you lose functionally if you replace their gateways.

About the only way you can be free and clear nowadays is if you only have internet.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

bull3964 posted:

About the only way you can be free and clear nowadays is if you only have internet.

This is the smartest choice also

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

fartzone_42069 posted:

Good? We don't have a lot of bandwidth on our package, so one of the more expensive gigabitty ones seems unnecessary.

I fear the world of routers, because they've sucked and been finicky pieces of temperamental nonfunctional poo poo throughout the course of human history.

The xFinity all-in-one may be a piece of poo poo, but at least it pretty much works. I haven't had to with deal a dedicated router in years. They've always sucked. Do they still suck? (Every single router ever).

Like, I wanna spend my $30, plug it in, and have it work, and work better than before, in under 5 hours. Doable?

e: Just the thought of plugging up a router is triggering my spergs. (But thank you, I am gracious for your help and expertise!)

I've had an amazing experience with my Apple Time Capsule (RIP) but you aren't going to find those for $30. Every router that cost half as much mirrored your experience, though. Now that Apple's given up on hardware I'll probably just cry when it finally dies. :(

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Wrap it up boys. AP says you shouldn't buy a Pixel. Samsungs for everybody!

This article reads like it was written solely to troll Google purists.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

fartzone_42069 posted:

My S7 had zero problems getting full wifi speeds. Use a better router.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I have the original onhub and it works very well. It's the ultimate "set it and forget it" router.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

RZA Encryption posted:

I have the original onhub and it works very well. It's the ultimate "set it and forget it" router.

Same.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Desk Lamp posted:

This article reads like it was written solely to troll Google purists.

It does, but Ruddock brings to light all the reasons that I haven't run out and bought a Pixel yet.
I don't think the bluetooth problem was necessarily a global issue though.

I asked a couple pages back if it's still a good time to get a Pixel and the consensus was 'yes' but I'm still skeptical. Rather, maybe not skeptical, but certainly in a position where I can possibly wait until the Pixel 2, provided some act of God doesn't separate me from my horrid Samsung S4.

fartzone_42069
Oct 11, 2009

Would adding this be an upgrade to the xFininity all-in-one unit?

I have a modest 50down/10up connection. The internet is revealing that my Arris TG862 (all-in-one-flashy-light-thingy) that Comcast provides is apparently a total piece of poo poo. :aaa:

I guess what I'm asking is, does is function like a halfway decent modem? It just doesn't want to talk to my Samsung?

I know I'm getting into "wrong thread" territory. But, that router I linked, with the less futuristic 2.4GigakHz and 802.11n... it would definitely be a performance upgrade, right? I can't imagine this Comcast shitbox having any more modern specifications than that.

I'm sick of using all my data because my wi-fi and phone don't play nice. Is the router a good plan, or should I talk to xFinity to see if they have a less lovely device we can rent? They're worthless, so I doubt that. I'm overthinking this.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

People seem to think that price is the end all to smartphones, completely forgetting that Galaxys are near the top of the price chain but boy oh boy will they sure defend the OnePlus phones for being a great value!

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

fartzone_42069 posted:

Would adding this be an upgrade to the xFininity all-in-one unit?

I have a modest 50down/10up connection. The internet is revealing that my Arris TG862 (all-in-one-flashy-light-thingy) that Comcast provides is apparently a total piece of poo poo. :aaa:

I guess what I'm asking is, does is function like a halfway decent modem? It just doesn't want to talk to my Samsung?

I know I'm getting into "wrong thread" territory. But, that router I linked, with the less futuristic 2.4GigakHz and 802.11n... it would definitely be a performance upgrade, right? I can't imagine this Comcast shitbox having any more modern specifications than that.

I'm sick of using all my data because my wi-fi and phone don't play nice. Is the router a good plan, or should I talk to xFinity to see if they have a less lovely device we can rent? They're worthless, so I doubt that. I'm overthinking this.

It should be fine, and if not you have thirty days to return it

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Get this, go into your Xfinity shitbox settings and disable the router features, just use it as your modem, and put the new router on the network and let it handle everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fartzone_42069
Oct 11, 2009

Okay! Thanks so much guys. I post a lot, and in a wordy way like I even have a retard accent when I type.

For fun, at the time I was eligible for a discount by the ever-benevolent technological overlords of Best Buy and VerizonCorp, January, 2017. What phone should have I bought?!