Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

That was a really great episode! Very intrigued to learn more. The next episode can't come soon enough.

Also, I finally bought all the live episodes on Bandcamp and started listening to them. Most definitely loving them... apart from the crowd noise. Jesus Christ it's like the gates to hell open and a thousand tortured souls scream in agony every time something happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

AstroZamboni posted:

So is Huntokar the woman who oversees the men with the crates in the desert? Is the underground city partially resulting from the reality split that the lady in the physical sciences building experienced?

Can't wait to see where this is going.

No she's the deer mask woman who has complained about the men with crates stealing miniature buildings

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Mokinokaro posted:

No she's the deer mask woman who has complained about the men with crates stealing miniature buildings

Which episode was that? I want to go back and listen to the clues.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

Jurgan posted:

Which episode was that? I want to go back and listen to the clues.

The episode is "The 12:37"

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Double post

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

I loved all the difference with the two Night Vales, it was neat to see the second Night Vale was kinda normal - no Blood Space War, no angels, no irrational hatred of Steve, an actual weather report, etc., aside from worshiping Huntokar. Huntokar has always cracked me up, since she was basically made up by Cecil and then he turned out to be entirely correct.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
I honestly wouldn't be surprised to find out Huntokar's just a weird real estate agent.

Dark Grapefruit
Jun 3, 2006

All cans are welcome and equal in your city, regardless of can content, and whether empty or full.
I saw All Hail last night and it was fantastic. Maybe the best live show yet (although I haven't gotten a chance to listen to Ghost Stories yet). Cecil was so animated and played up the energy of the crowd a ton. It's a totally different experience than listening to the podcast at home, even listening to the other live episodes. Definitely go see this one live if you can, as long as you're not averse to doing a lot of chanting and pointing.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Dark Grapefruit posted:

I saw All Hail last night and it was fantastic. Maybe the best live show yet (although I haven't gotten a chance to listen to Ghost Stories yet). Cecil was so animated and played up the energy of the crowd a ton. It's a totally different experience than listening to the podcast at home, even listening to the other live episodes. Definitely go see this one live if you can, as long as you're not averse to doing a lot of chanting and pointing.

Please give Ghost Stories a listen.

New Ep:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q12gm5hg91k

This is the most worried for Night Vale I've ever been :ohdear:

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Wait wait wait wait. How have I missed there's 1) a European tour 2) A DATE IN HELSINKI????

God drat, I'm excited!

edit: Ok that was one :stare: of an episode

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 06:55 on May 15, 2017

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

What the gently caress? This is actually unsettling.

Ghost-Slug
Feb 21, 2011

Feeding Tigrex
one Hunter at a time

Lipstick Apathy
I'm catching up on Night Vale this week after taking a short break from podcasts and these comments are getting me excited for the next few episodes!

Dark Grapefruit posted:

It's a totally different experience than listening to the podcast at home, even listening to the other live episodes.

Absolutely this! I've gone to see the live shows every time Night Vale came to London and they've all been great fun! Ghost Stories was my favourite - there's something special about being made to feel tense and alone in a hall filled with ~2000 people and also Eliza Rickman was wonderful. People who only listen to the recordings are really missing out on the atmosphere and interaction of the shows and I would really recommend going to one if you can (although the recordings are still good!).

I'm really looking forward to seeing All Hail in October! :dance:

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

What the gently caress? This is actually unsettling.
I don't think I've been this worried about Night Vale since the Strex takeover.

No, not worried. Concerned.

Pencils R Cool
Feb 16, 2011
This current season has been vintage Night Vale, I've loved every episode (except maybe the Zookeeper one which was a bit hit and miss).

The Dark Planet, Lit By No Sun is a bowling ball isn't it?

Next episode needs a shoutout to my man Larry Leroy, feels like it's been forever since he was last mentioned. Hopefully his rocking beard is doing ok.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Pencils R Cool posted:

The Dark Planet, Lit By No Sun is a bowling ball isn't it?

Oh dear Jesus gently caress :aaaaa:

Although I guess a bowling ball wouldn't have forests, mountains and oceans...

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

I don't know, the first time I recall hearing of The Dark Planet was in A Story About You which has to be in Upper Night Vale since You are responsible for moving the crates of miniature Night Vale. I always took it as a straight metaphor for death, or at least what you see before you die.

LASER BEAM DREAM fucked around with this message at 21:20 on May 16, 2017

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Normally, my favorite episodes in each arc are the early ones where things are more weird driven than meta story driven, with the least favorite being the arc finishers in May and June.

But this arc has been fantastic and has kept that night vale touch throughout. I bet the next couple episodes will be amazing

Dark Grapefruit
Jun 3, 2006

All cans are welcome and equal in your city, regardless of can content, and whether empty or full.

Kazy posted:

Please give Ghost Stories a listen.

I did, it's fantastic. And I'm glad I didn't listen in public because it had me tearing up a little.

Ghost-Slug
Feb 21, 2011

Feeding Tigrex
one Hunter at a time

Lipstick Apathy
I'm catching up this week and listened to "What Happened at the Smithwick House" over lunch. It really reminded me of House of Leaves and now I want to read it again!

I'd listened to the pre-season parts of Alice isn't Dead before but it was a good reminder hearing them on the end of the Night Vale episodes. Alice is definitely next on my catch-up list. :)

Edit: Just listened to "The Missing Sky". :stare:

So, is what we heard a false/alternate memory for us, the listener, or is it real and there's a mini alternate reality Night Vale within Night Vale? If the latter, then could there be an alternate reality Night Vale within the alternate reality Night Vale and so on?

Ghost-Slug fucked around with this message at 17:13 on May 17, 2017

Pencils R Cool
Feb 16, 2011

Ghost-Slug posted:

So, is what we heard a false/alternate memory for us, the listener, or is it real and there's a mini alternate reality Night Vale within Night Vale? If the latter, then could there be an alternate reality Night Vale within the alternate reality Night Vale and so on?

The tiny civillisation under lane 5 of the Desert Flower Bowling Alley and Arcade Fun Complex (from all the way back in Season One) is the alternative Night Vale. It ties in with the whole Huntakar / A Story About You plotline wherein the tiny houses are being packaged into crates and shipped off into the desert.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Pencils R Cool posted:

The tiny civillisation under lane 5 of the Desert Flower Bowling Alley and Arcade Fun Complex (from all the way back in Season One) is the alternative Night Vale. It ties in with the whole Huntakar / A Story About You plotline wherein the tiny houses are being packaged into crates and shipped off into the desert.

I don't think that Tiny Night Vale is the same one that was destroyed by nuclear war in 1983 (which is where Cal came from, I think). I think there are lots of Night Vales.

Ghost-Slug
Feb 21, 2011

Feeding Tigrex
one Hunter at a time

Lipstick Apathy

Pencils R Cool posted:

I understood this was what the episode was getting at. I just think that after a few episodes of people talking about having memories from alternate realities and even interacting briefly with people from alternate realities, it becomes difficult to take things at face value.

docbeard posted:

I don't think that Tiny Night Vale is the same one that was destroyed by nuclear war in 1983 (which is where Cal came from, I think). I think there are lots of Night Vales.

Yeah, I agree with this. I thought it would be pretty funny if mini Night Vale had their own mini Night Vale and so on. I don't think mini Night Vale is the same as the post-war Night Vale as mini Night Vale seems to exist in the same reality as Night Vale,

Incidentally, what's the policy on spoilers in this thread? I assumed talking about anything that wasn't the current episode was fair game?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Ghost-Slug posted:

Yeah, I agree with this. I thought it would be pretty funny if mini Night Vale had their own mini Night Vale and so on. I don't think mini Night Vale is the same as the post-war Night Vale as mini Night Vale seems to exist in the same reality as Night Vale,

Well, yeah. Mini NV's war was the war vs the giant surface NV.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I absolutely love that pretty much everything that's happening is a callback to/logical extension of stuff that happened earlier (sometimes a lot earlier) in the series.

I don't think they're planning on ending the show (right, guys? Guys? Right?) but this would be exactly how to do a series finale for Night Vale if they were.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

docbeard posted:

I absolutely love that pretty much everything that's happening is a callback to/logical extension of stuff that happened earlier (sometimes a lot earlier) in the series.

I don't think they're planning on ending the show (right, guys? Guys? Right?) but this would be exactly how to do a series finale for Night Vale if they were.

The only detail I really want to see come back at this point is Cecil saying "we were all scientists once" in the first episode

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Ghost-Slug posted:

I thought it would be pretty funny if mini Night Vale had their own mini Night Vale and so on. I don't think mini Night Vale is the same as the post-war Night Vale as mini Night Vale seems to exist in the same reality as Night Vale,

The Night Vales are arranged like my avatar.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Jurgan posted:

The Night Vales are arranged like my avatar.

Each night vale expanding to immense size and relative to the other night vales that are also expanding in a fractal tesseract and over your right shoulder, no beginning

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

MariusLecter posted:

Each night vale expanding to immense size and relative to the other night vales that are also expanding in a fractal tesseract and over your right shoulder, no beginning

They're not really changing size, the camera is just zooming in infinitely.

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

I liked the tiny differences in mini-Night Vale, like the fact that there was no Blood-Space War, etc., that you could only pick out if you were paying attention.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!

OneTwentySix posted:

I liked the tiny differences in mini-Night Vale, like the fact that there was no Blood-Space War, etc., that you could only pick out if you were paying attention.

Calling it right now: the distant prince is another alternate Cecil.

Also remember, the inhabitants of desert bluffs are doubles of Night Vale citizens too. There's a lot of alternate Night Vales out there.

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
I'm enjoying the show and the weirdness, but very confused on what's going on this season. The bit about Dana and her father though, that really hurt, since I've had my grandfather on my mind a lot since his passing.

Much like Cecil, I will muddle through it though. But I'm very worried for everyone :ohdear:

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

RedMagus posted:

I'm enjoying the show and the weirdness, but very confused on what's going on this season. The bit about Dana and her father though, that really hurt, since I've had my grandfather on my mind a lot since his passing.

Much like Cecil, I will muddle through it though. But I'm very worried for everyone :ohdear:

If it helps, everything that's happening appears to be a callback to something from earlier in the series.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

docbeard posted:

If it helps, everything that's happening appears to be a callback to something from earlier in the series.

It is kind of recommended that you start from episode 1 if you wanna understand all the callbacks.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

docbeard posted:

Yeah this season appears to be entirely about going back to the underground city and the woman from Italy and that surrounding nonsense, if you haven't listenes to the first two seasons it isn't going to work

I did lose the plot halfway through last season and need the wiki to help catch me up though

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

One of my favorite things about Alice Isn't Dead continues to be the musical outros. Really liked the one on the new episode with the eastern European sounding mandola (I'm guessing that's what the instrument was) groove. Very nice.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

I wonder if the person in the hoodie is the fake police officer

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

I had wondered that myself. Also wondered if it might be Alice.

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer

BigRed0427 posted:

It is kind of recommended that you start from episode 1 if you wanna understand all the callbacks.

Been following since the first few episodes, but considering the length of time I guess a re-listen is required at this point?

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
:aaaaa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Holy fuckshit