Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

TheGamerGuy23 posted:

It seems like no one entertains the idea that Jack killing Aku in the Past will simply cause a split timeline. One where Aku sends him to the future and one where he's defeated in the past.

I don't entertain it because it's a copout and takes the safest, least interesting route to wrap things up. That isn't to say it won't happen, but I sure hope it doesn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

RareAcumen posted:

I was kinda hoping that Jack would stay looking like a bedraggled hobo even once he got the sword back.

Same, I'm mildly disappointed. And I normally hate beard-os.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Ending with a split timeline copout is literally the worst possible storytelling that the show could have. Genndy Tartakovsky isn't perfect and the show has missteps sometimes, but something that fuckin awful seems outside the realm of possibility.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

RareAcumen posted:

I was kinda hoping that Jack would stay looking like a bedraggled hobo even once he got the sword back.

Well it's a shame about the beard, but at least he won't stay dressed for long. It's a staple of Samurai Jack that his clothes get destroyed and he winds up in his underpants by the end of practically every fight.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

RareAcumen posted:

I kinda wanted a scene of him shaving the thing himself for ~Symbolism~

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

TwoPair posted:

Well it's a shame about the beard, but at least he won't stay dressed for long. It's a staple of Samurai Jack that his clothes get destroyed and he winds up in his underpants by the end of practically every fight.

Like how he got hit in the flashback and his shirt spontaneously exploded.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Jack getting his clothes obliterated is funny as hell and am glad they kept it in this last season.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Also, the fresh haircut probably means the Guardian's time portal has been put on ice now, I guess? Since the vision of Jack at the very end of that episode obviously way more closely resembles himself at the start of S5 than it does now.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
Does anyone seriously think Jack is going back to the past? Literally every episode is foreshadowing his death.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Ghetto Prince posted:

Does anyone seriously think Jack is going back to the past? Literally every episode is foreshadowing his death.

I am pretty sure he's going to get back to the past. Samurai Jack.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Getting tired of Ashi, not gonna lie.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Ghetto Prince posted:

They got rid of the phantom who was doing that. Then they got rid of the other phantom who was suggesting that.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Oxxidation posted:

Glad I'm not the only one. She's taking up way too much of the spotlight for a ten-episode series finale.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Oxxidation posted:

I blame Gendy and the terrible sense of pacing this show seems to be suffering from. Gendy, for the strange clothing decisions to have a cool assassin character be dressed in nothing but body paint and now fresh cut flowers. The pacing, for including scenes that are supposed to be cool but are actually anticlimactic while focusing too much on dialogue which either needs more time to make feel natural, or just to be axed in general.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Counterpoint: Ashi owns and I'm glad her fighting style is still "flipping the gently caress out fueled by raw hatred" even after she got new gear.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

EagerSleeper posted:

I blame Gendy and the terrible sense of pacing this show seems to be suffering from. Gendy, for the strange clothing decisions to have a cool assassin character be dressed in nothing but body paint and now fresh cut flowers. The pacing, for including scenes that are supposed to be cool but are actually anticlimactic while focusing too much on dialogue which either needs more time to make feel natural, or just to be axed in general.

Calling scabs body paint is weird as heck dude.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Ashi rules.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make

RareAcumen posted:

Calling scabs body paint is weird as heck dude.

It is paint though; otherwise, she'd have never been able to chip it all off. Speaking of Ashi, I actually do REALLY like her character; I like how she's nice, but still manages to be legitimately frightening in combat.

If I blame the pacing on anything, it's on Genndy only asking for 10 episodes. I mean, if interviews are any indication, Mike Lazzo (executive of Cartoon Network) was pretty eager to have Samurai Jack revived (to the point where he doesn't want the final episode spoilied for himself till it airs on TV), so it doesn't sound like he would have objected to more.

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

I predict that at the end of these episodes Scaramouche's decapitated head will play us out ala porky pig as the camera zooms out and fades.

The Ashi-vs-army fight was terrible. We spent 2 or 3 episodes establishing that she's some kind of super ninja, but then instead of flying around dexterously and kidney stabbing, she picks a dude up and brute strengths him down a mountain, knocking everyone off. What a poo poo way for Genndy to declare that this fight doesn't matter and he just wants to move the story along with the minimum amount of effort. "Yeah, I dunno, lets just have her knock all them off somehow. gently caress it."

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
So Scaramouch is totally going to tell Aku that Jack lost his sword, dudes going to rush in like a maniac with a fresh will to live, and get straight up bodied by Jack, right?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Thats the obvious route yes.
The other route is that hes just as depressed as before, but takes the time to meditate and defeat Sad Aku.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Lotta bad opinions in this thread about Ashi, who is cool.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Fionordequester posted:

It is paint though; otherwise, she'd have never been able to chip it all off.

Are we sure it's paint? All I'm willing to say is that it's not exactly useful in any easily discernible way. He killed one of them with their own sword so it's not like it really protected them in anyway. I don't think it did anything besides make them all look completely the same.

Gawain The Blind posted:

The Ashi-vs-army fight was terrible. We spent 2 or 3 episodes establishing that she's some kind of super ninja, but then instead of flying around dexterously and kidney stabbing, she picks a dude up and brute strengths him down a mountain, knocking everyone off. What a poo poo way for Genndy to declare that this fight doesn't matter and he just wants to move the story along with the minimum amount of effort. "Yeah, I dunno, lets just have her knock all them off somehow. gently caress it."

Oh yeah, that really long built up and anticipated battle against 'an army of zombies that just showed up out of the blue'

Those guys mattered about as much as the beetle droids from the first episode.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP
I can see most of the criticisms, agreeing with them, but I don't really think they're that bad. The battle against the throw-away army was fine, I don't know what else you'd want from that, and I liked the pacing and contrast between that over-the-top ridiculous energy with Jack's terrible tea making, got a big laugh when I that dude said it was terrible; I wonder if Jack actually does need his angry self at all, like it said, obviously not letting it consume him but surely he'll need the angry red dude in a small, balanced capacity.

Overall it's all really enjoyable to me and it may not be perfect, but it's still a drat good top tier show for me.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

I'm personally a sliver's inch away from giving up on the show,at this point. The finale better be loving mindblowing.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Gawain The Blind posted:

Yeah, I kinda saw that fight as a metaphor or a visionary sequence or something. Ashi may be a badass but there's no way she can beat an entire army with zero effort. Granted Aku's henchmen are pretty poo poo, but still.

A dude posted:

Are we sure it's paint? All I'm willing to say is that it's not exactly useful in any easily discernible way. He killed one of them with their own sword so it's not like it really protected them in anyway. I don't think it did anything besides make them all look completely the same.

The Daughters went swimming so it's more than just ashes, but it scrubbed off so it's not scars. I dunno, maybe we're overthinking it. Maybe it's just Aku Magic. (or fan service.)

Gynovore fucked around with this message at 13:47 on May 2, 2017

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
The army was silly, and that's fine because jack is still a kid's show at heart

The show doesn't need to be pure grimdark and art, didn't this episode literally talk about needing balance?

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
Dag, goons who hate samurai jack all of a sudden, wtf flipped the switch that makes goons go from fawning to fuming???

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Martha Stewart Undying posted:

Dag, goons who hate samurai jack all of a sudden, wtf flipped the switch that makes goons go from fawning to fuming???
The first three episodes were loving spectacular, and since then the show's had problems.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
Yeah, the first 3 episodes were so fantastically done that they kind of set a precedent. They were so tight and atmospheric it was unbelievable. The following episodes are not that. They're more of a return to the show's roots, but in comparison that almost seems like regression.

I think people were expecting a 1-2 episode lull, before more like the first 3, but then more came out and they weren't.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Gynovore posted:

I dunno, maybe we're overthinking it.

tviv.txt

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Gynovore posted:

Yeah, I kinda saw that fight as a metaphor or a visionary sequence or something. Ashi may be a badass but there's no way she can beat an entire army with zero effort. Granted Aku's henchmen are pretty poo poo, but still.

Jack's also beat down entire armies of lovely henchmen multiple times before, so don't see too much problem here.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Jack even beat an entire army with quite literally zero effort, because they took themselves out while he was waiting for them. All he did was stand there and an entire army fell to Looney Tune style comedic misfortune.

Honestly, I wish the season was longer and included more stand alone and silly stuff, especially if it meant some more of both Jack and Ashi on their own, entire episodes with one of them and the other almost or entirely absent and focusing more on weird vignettes and genre homages like the older seasons. The first three episodes were cool, but they also didn't feel very appropriate to the show at times, so I'd prefer the cast and crew make a new show in that style and with that tone after Samurai Jack, rather than making the entire season that.

Also, Ashi's new design is generally cool but I really like the asymmetrical design touch of the single branch on her left shoulder. The length of her chin freaks me out a little when she's in profile at a right angle though.

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

I'm mad at one scene. Other than that it's been great. There were scenes in the first go-around that I wasn't thrilled with either.

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.
I really loved that we got to see Jack go through an LSD journey for wisdom and wholeness, while the show cut back to Ashi brutally slaughtering a whole army. While the final fight could of been more intense I forgive the show just for the idea cutting back and forth between calm and violence.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

idk cuz the last episode was fine, and everyone going "oh god i'm about to drop it" just seems like mindlessness

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
It's a completely different level of quality. I'm still gunna watch it but I get the people who wouldn't.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Personally, the episode where Ashi finds out about Jack's past is SUPER fanservicy. Fun at parts, but the Demongo scene was pushing it. Felt like filler, though I get why they did it. They did it so she wasn't just puffing hot air when she saves Jack from himself. It could have been better paced. Maybe two episodes with it requiring more active partiptant on her part, instead of her being an observer?

But, overall, still a solid revival.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make

tsob posted:

Jack even beat an entire army with quite literally zero effort, because they took themselves out while he was waiting for them. All he did was stand there and an entire army fell to Looney Tune style comedic misfortune.

Now that I think of it, that's something of a staple in Gendy's work. The Clone Wars cartoon also has a ton of moments where someone takes out armies upon armies of opponents without so much as a scratch.

RareAcumen posted:

Yeah, well...Ashi's Mom isn't exactly the sharpest tool in the shed, is she? Her big "plan" requires 20+ years of investment on her part without any guarantee of payoff, she doesn't teach her daughters any important skills besides how to fight, she never teaches them how to fight in the wilderness, her "training" could've easily paralyzed or permanently injured any one of her seven daughters, and she quite literally sends them off all on their own despite being a powerful fighter herself.

If she had any sense in her head, she would have gone with her daughters precisely to avoid situations like Ashi being coaxed to the good side, or Ashi wondering why Aku's letting bad men into their world, and why two deers are touching noses in an odd way.

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 18:51 on May 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Fionordequester posted:

Now that I think of it, that's something of a staple in Gendy's work. The Clone Wars cartoon also has a ton of moments where someone takes out armies upon armies of opponents without so much as a scratch.

I'm familiar with this clip where Mace Windu does that, but never really got around to watching all of the episodes.

• Locked thread