Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

Real hurthling! posted:

At least most of them say openly that sfv is bad so thats cool.
despite this, capcom is still pretty good at astroturfing support for their games.

S.J. posted:

guess that's why nobody plays fighting games:smith:
yes. a lot of the appeal is gone for most folks. that's why games like sfv need hypemen.

other than there being a lot of other new choices for competitive games now versus the past, there are now much more appealing online games where you can lose much more gracefully (not 1v1, generally)

when fgs were better they were still popular despite competing with games that had passable online play. not even talking arcades, soul cal 1 was a system mover for the dc, and sc2 was huge across the board. tekken had tv shows in Korea (more than once) and was monstrously popular in the us. smash especially was doing huge numbers and melee was crazy competitive, being mlg back in halo days.

personally I think the move to online play was a rough transition for fighters. it was quite a rude awakening for a lot of players to have such easy access to being made aware of exactly how bad they were. max actually plays this guy for a lot of his viewers so they don't have to play and lose. he loses a lot and is good enough to squeak out a couple wins against "good" netbattlers while he screams and makes YouTube thumbnail faces

Zand fucked around with this message at 18:48 on May 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Zand posted:

personally I think the move to online play was a rough transition for fighters. it was quite a rude awakening for a lot of players to have such easy access to being made aware of exactly how bad they were. max actually plays this guy for a lot of his viewers did they don't have to play and lose. he loses a lot and is good enough to squeak out a couple wins against "good" netbattlers while he screams and makes YouTube thumbnail faces

Agreed. Even with perfect netcode, playing a fighting game online just doesn't FEEL the same as it did walking up to a X-Men vs. SF game and putting your quarter on the rail, talking to other players about what was happening, etc.

Nothing was as magical as the day I was playing Mortal Kombat 2 and a smug kid sat down next to me to play, and pulled out a moves list with all the secret babalities, friendships, etc. that he downloaded off a local bulletin board. After I floored him I looked at him and said "Who do you think WROTE that list!"

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
I'll make a Tekken thread but it's not gonna be as long and efforty as the last one.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Brosnan posted:

I'll make a Tekken thread but it's not gonna be as long and efforty as the last one.

Just make sure when you list the core characters instead of using screenshots you use their live action counterparts from the movie.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Medullah posted:

Just make sure when you list the core characters instead of using screenshots you use their live action counterparts from the movie.

drat, Kristen Wiig's looking good.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

in a world where Darksydephil, JackSepticEye, boogie, and jontron exist, I can't muster the energy to hate Maximillian as he's easily one of the least offensive of the youtube game mens by far

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
ninja daggers

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Medullah posted:

I would actually totally do this if it wasn't :effort: (and if all the chars were actually in the movie).

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Brosnan posted:

I would actually totally do this if it wasn't :effort: (and if all the chars were actually in the movie).

Man I haven't watched the movie since it came out, just re-read the summary on Wikipedia and I forgot just how many characters WERE in the movie.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I don't think Max is like, the harbinger of death for the competitive spirit of the FGC, but I do think he's a dude w/ long hair and a goatee who unironically has "d00d" in his name and makes YouTube content for 14 year olds so I also don't feel like I need to bend over backward looking for reasons that he's a Good Thing for fighting games.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

I really don't think Max and his peanut gallery of dumb friends are funny or entertaining in the slightest, but I don't want someone to throw a cinder block at his face or anything.

Brosnan posted:

Use pictures from the dumb anime instead.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Brosnan posted:

I don't think Max is like, the harbinger of death for the competitive spirit of the FGC, but I do think he's a dude w/ long hair and a goatee who unironically has "d00d" in his name and makes YouTube content for 14 year olds so I also don't feel like I need to bend over backward looking for reasons that he's a Good Thing for fighting games.

People sure do go out of their way to give their reasons why he's bad for fighting games though. Like I said initially, the guy gets a bad rap being a Youtube creator and Twitch streamer, but poo poo, that's his job. Viewership is important in that case, and he needs the numbers to support him and his family. I respect the hustle.

teagone fucked around with this message at 19:10 on May 2, 2017

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

teagone posted:

People sure do go out of their to give their reasons why he's bad for fighting games though. Like I said initially, the guy gets a bad rap.

I think he's more chaotic neutral than anything

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Maximillion is awful and like the worst thing about the video content "culture" or whatever you wanna call it

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

teagone posted:

People sure do go out of their to give their reasons why he's bad for fighting games though. Like I said initially, the guy gets a bad rap being a Youtube creator and Twitch streamer, but poo poo, that's his job. Viewership is important in that case, and he needs the numbers to support him and his family. I respect the hustle.

I don't respect the hustle

e: I do respect him for eating these weird snacks on stream while doing commentary once and both he and his commentary partner were like "this is pretty bad"

AnonSpore fucked around with this message at 19:01 on May 2, 2017

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Nodoze posted:

Maximillion is awful and like the worst thing about the video content "culture" or whatever you wanna call it

Jump cut editing is worse imo.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
For some reason these posts about having a bunch of newbies enter the fg scene and be bad at games and that's bad for the community reminds me of the poker boom last decade, where a bunch of newbies entered the scene and were bad at games.

What I'm saying is that the gov should shut down playing fighting games online.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

C. Everett Koop posted:

For some reason these posts about having a bunch of newbies enter the fg scene and be bad at games and that's bad for the community reminds me of the poker boom last decade, where a bunch of newbies entered the scene and were bad at games.

What I'm saying is that the gov should shut down playing fighting games online.

it's not that they suck as fighters, it's that they suck as people and community members

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Brosnan posted:

Same. I don't really think he's good for the FGC, nor is he obligated to be. He makes videos that people like to watch. Not me personally, but plenty of people. Can't hate him for that.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I'll never say Max is "good" but his super cheesy ridiculous Marvel vs Capcom videos helped me learn the basics of the game. Before that my MvC experience was "I really like Hulk so I'm going to use him, I also like Sabertooth so he's on the team, and who else, let's just random it up.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Jmcrofts posted:

I don't really think he's good for the FGC, nor is he obligated to be.

I don't think Max feels like he's obligated to be a good thing for the FGC, or sees himself as such. I'm just basing my argument around what positive aspects his influence could potentially generate.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Potentially

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

I usually have streams up on my second monitor while I'm doing stuff on my computer and I'd be more inclined to watch Max if he didn't scream "OH MY GOD THANK YOU DOOD" every 10 seconds when someone tips him $.50 or subs to his channel. This is my opinion about Max.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Meridian posted:

I usually have streams up on my second monitor while I'm doing stuff on my computer and I'd be more inclined to watch Max if he didn't scream "OH MY GOD THANK YOU DOOD" every 10 seconds when someone tips him $.50 or subs to his channel. This is my opinion about Max.

That makes people give more cause theyre sad lonely teens who cant get anyone to say nice things to them for free.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Real hurthling! posted:

That makes people give more cause theyre sad lonely teens who cant get anyone to say nice things to them for free.

Who among us

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Real hurthling! posted:

I understand why he does it and why streamers do it in general. I prefer streamers who don't blast that poo poo all over the screen though. Quill18 is cool because his is just a lowkey beep and he'll say thanks when he gets around to it. Max as a force for good or evil in the FGC? Who gives a poo poo. He's just a guy.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Meridian posted:

"OH MY GOD THANK YOU DOOD"

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Prinnys are cool and good.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Meridian posted:

Prinnys are cool and good.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Not sure if this is appropriate for this thread, but I found out about this today :smith:

quote:

3rd Strike legend, Kuroda, is going through suicidal depression

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1367056&page=1

Originally Posted by dmagara on r/kappa

Most of it is saying how he wants nothing more than to be euthanized, he hates his own face, personality and body, and just seems to be a dark place mentally and writes a lot about self hate and regret about his time spent playing games.

Here are a few rough translations:

"I'm starting to go senile*, so I hope I lose all of my memories of playing games. I suppose I would keep memories of going to Kita-Senju, if anything." (*The term is literally "going senile" but it could refer to a state of being befuddled or losing memory.)

"Instead of people talking about games, people talking about people/human experience is how I communicate. I was never 'being human'." 

"A life where you lie to yourself and do what you don't want to will lead to ruin. I need to stop living a life of self-disdain or I can't even breathe." 

"My clearest memories are of the times I played games and talked about nothing with the regulars at Kita-Senju GAO, and talking with Umehara. I don't give a drat about my memories of playing games. More importantly, I want to learn to communicate better as a human being." <Only semi-positive tweet there

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

I can never knock max. As poo poo and annoying as his fans are at least he is helping keep the scene alive.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Big Scary Owl posted:

Not sure if this is appropriate for this thread, but I found out about this today :smith:

Depression and anxiety fuckin' sucks. Also apparently Kuroda had a hosed up childhood.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
he should go talk to a dude about that, if japan had such a thing

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
http://i.imgur.com/19Wsgsb.mp4

I am so ready for this game

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

dangerdoom volvo posted:

he should go talk to a dude about that, if japan had such a thing

Stigma regarding mental illness in Japan is even worse than it is in America

brian
Sep 11, 2001
I obtained this title through beard tax.

I think a lot of what I said has been a bit extrapolated into stuff I didn't say but i'll just refer you to bears posts as they kinda sum up what i would've replied with anyway but more succinctly and poo poo

edit:

Nodoze posted:

i believe it's called geek culture and nerd culture and it's VERY cool

brian fucked around with this message at 00:35 on May 3, 2017

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MKGy2cg4Wk

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I got the reference because I shitpost in CineD all the time and love Red Letter Media.

[edit]

AnonSpore posted:

Potentially

I said this at the start of this whole Max tangent :shrug:

I can't wait to be on the receiving end of a beating like that.

I think it was this thread where someone posted a link to a Google document or spreadsheet or something, that had listed the level of difficulty each character in Tekken 7 is, along with other info like which character would fit a certain playstyle and whatnot. I thought I bookmarked it, but I guess not. :( Does anyone still have that? Nevermind, my google-fu is stronger than I thought. For posterity:

https://twitter.com/CKT_Fergus/status/803273095880396800

teagone fucked around with this message at 01:40 on May 3, 2017

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Rx Suicide emailed me and all I got was this amazingly awesome forum account.

Tortured By Flan

Brosnan posted:

Being as real as Sanford; I built a computer thanks to the goon thread and it didn't explode, and a strong reason I did well in the first few months of Xrd I played was also in part fueled by goon knowledge. These are both things I was pretty well convinced I could not do on my own, yet somehow did.

Just sayin'. I can't really give credit where credit is due because of my low-tier streamer lifestyle (IE rarely ever post), but goon threads can help. I have no room to criticize a low effort OP, either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

oh hey i didnt know you could fight with a tiger buddy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaLADW6U5sQ