Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Pushbullet equivalent - doesn't exist any more, pushbullet cant get the proper permissions on iOS to be worth a drat

Really? I primarily use Pushbullet for copying stuff between my iPhone and my Chromebook, and it works just fine but I guess it's not as good without texting via desktop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Red Oktober posted:

Citymapper is amazing for getting round London

That looks good thanks, I didn't know that it had a map view. It's mainly that I know where I'm going once I'm on the tube but often don't know where the nearest station is!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

rngd in the womb posted:

Really? I primarily use Pushbullet for copying stuff between my iPhone and my Chromebook, and it works just fine but I guess it's not as good without texting via desktop.

It works fine Android -> Mac but the way Apple walls off iMessage, you can't reply to iOS messages via Pushbullet (I mean if you're on a Mac you might as well just use iMessage anyway)

For copying files I guess it's good but for Notifications it's totally hobbled for iOS.

It used to be SUCH a good app, back when I had an Android and my MacBook paired, it was perfect for replying to texts.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Android.

Serious answer:
Podcasts - Overcast
Alarm - No idea what a prealarm is, the default Clock app is good
Weather - Dark Sky
Shopping list - Wunderlist
Twitter - default
Pushbullet equivalent - doesn't exist any more, pushbullet cant get the proper permissions on iOS to be worth a drat
Llama equivalent - No third party apps can change settings but you could try workflow
Workout tracker - no idea
Wunderlist is being deprecated, so that's not a good option. I don't really have a better one for a shopping list other than that Paprika includes that function which I use and Paprika is a fantastic app.

Tweetbot is a better Twitter client than the official one.

vtlock
Feb 7, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

Wunderlist is being deprecated, so that's not a good option. I don't really have a better one for a shopping list other than that Paprika includes that function which I use and Paprika is a fantastic app.

For shopping lists, we use anylist -- https://www.anylistapp.com -- which is cross-platform, supports comments & pictures, stores, pricing, etc. Recommended.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Josh Lyman posted:

I switched away from TWC because the cache grew too large.

Sorry maybe I missed this in the thread but what does this mean? Holds on to old weather too long or it physically takes up too much memory?

I don't have a 16GB poverty phone so is that what's helping me out?

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

Endless Mike posted:

Wunderlist is being deprecated, so that's not a good option.

What's your source for this?

E: I see: https://blogs.office.com/2017/04/19/introducing-microsoft-to-do-now-available-in-preview/

beefnoodle fucked around with this message at 17:30 on May 1, 2017

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014

Red_Fred posted:

OK I am taking the plunge, 6s should arrive this week. From using my 5c over the weekend I know I need at least the following apps:

Podcasts - I used Pocketcasts on Android, is it still good here?
    Alarm - need something that can do pre-alarms and change the next alarm without messing with the normal schedule
    Weather - assuming the default is not great
    Shopping list - could maybe start using Keep for this though
    Twitter - assuming the default is not great
    Pushbullet equivalent - shows notifications for message on your computer (I don't use a Mac)
    Llama equivalent - can toggle settings based on location
    Workout tracker - to track weights etc.

Can anyone recommend anything for me?

Also I notice that some apps are not available in my region (NZ), is that pretty common? It's not something I've ever experienced with Android.

Podcast - Pocketcast
Alarm - Default
Weather - I use Weatherline and forecast.io (Canada, so Dark Sky is not accessible)
Shopping List - Omnifocus for personal lists, Anylist for shared with the wife
Twitter - Tweetbot

Don't use any of the others, so I can't vouch.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
I just started using Strong based on a recommendation from the Apple watch thread. Experiencing some slight bugs but reached out to the developer on and hoping he can clarify. Other than that it is a great workout tracker. Recommend that one for the Android OP.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

TraderStav posted:

I just started using Strong based on a recommendation from the Apple watch thread. Experiencing some slight bugs but reached out to the developer on and hoping he can clarify. Other than that it is a great workout tracker. Recommend that one for the Android OP.

He is super awesomely customer-focused, and he will most likely implement your feedback as long as it isn't dumb. He implemented a couple of my requests over the years!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

bobfather posted:

He is super awesomely customer-focused, and he will most likely implement your feedback as long as it isn't dumb. He implemented a couple of my requests over the years!

Good to know. This is straight up bugs though, not features. Apple watch app isn't showing up (in watch app) and anytime I try to click something that is user account specific (send feedback, export, etc) I get an error that there isn't a user with my email address even though I verified.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
apple reminders is good for shopping lists, just make a shared one with your spouse/mom

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

Josh Lyman posted:

I switched away from TWC because the cache grew too large.

My mom managed to blow through her 3 gig data limit last month, and The Weather Channel was somehow 80% of her historical data usage. If its cache also grows out of control, I'd really try to find something else

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Mad Wack posted:

apple reminders is good for shopping lists, just make a shared one with your spouse/mom

I have had nothing but issues with shared Reminder lists so switched to AnyList.

The free version is fine, the paid subscription is good but a little pricey.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do
My wife and I have been using OurGroceries for years and it's been great.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Facebook must REALLY be proud of their in app sounds (beeps and bloops). I turn them off and every time the app updates the toggle turns itself back on. loving why.

:reject:

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I use google keep for shopping lists.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
My girlfriend keeps those sounds on and keyboard clicks. I almost broke up with her over this when we started dating.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

bobfather posted:

TraderStav posted:

Good to know. This is straight up bugs though, not features. Apple watch app isn't showing up (in watch app) and anytime I try to click something that is user account specific (send feedback, export, etc) I get an error that there isn't a user with my email address even though I verified.

He reached out and helped me. Turns out if you don't have a Mail.app account set up you get the errors that I was. Also, I was a dummy (and am traveling) and didn't realize that I had to put my watch on the charger to start installation of new apps. Once I did that I was on my way.

Quality stuff. Can't wait to train with this app on the watch.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

hotsauce posted:

Facebook must REALLY be proud of their in app sounds (beeps and bloops). I turn them off and every time the app updates the toggle turns itself back on. loving why.

:reject:

Use Safari instead. I miss having the notifications, but it wasn't worth keeping the app around for just that.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Also, you can block ads with Safari.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

What's the best grocery list app? I don't need cloud sync but a barcode scanner and not looking like total rear end would both be nice.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
While we are on that subject. Is there a wishlist app?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Overcast still getting flushed from the RAM really quickly 🙄

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Overcast still getting flushed from the RAM really quickly 🙄
I've had the opposite since the most recent updates to Overcast (or maybe the iOS beta updates) - it's holding for a super long time now. Maybe it's an iOS issue that the upcoming version will fix.

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

I keep seeing Tweetbot recommended. What are its big features that make it preferable to the default app? The reviews and screenshots I see make it sound like it does all of the exact same things in basically the same way. I ask because I've never personally had an issue with default Twitter that would make me want to switch.

Same question regarding MacOS Tweetbot, too.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

tankadillo posted:

I keep seeing Tweetbot recommended. What are its big features that make it preferable to the default app? The reviews and screenshots I see make it sound like it does all of the exact same things in basically the same way. I ask because I've never personally had an issue with default Twitter that would make me want to switch.

Multiple account support with fast switching and simple analytics for your tweets if you're into that sort of thing.

Never used the MacOS version though.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Also it blocks all ads and has a dark mode if that's your thing.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!
In addition to the above, it also maintains a pure chronological timeline, has better and more fully featured mute functions, simple gestures for interacting with tweets that can be customized, interactive push notifications that actually work...

The only thing Tweetbot currently doesn't do is let you interact with polls, now that they added images in DMs.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
The official app also supports multiple accounts and a dark mode.

Though I'd be tempted to check out Tweetbot just for avoiding ads.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Tweetbot owns.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I prefer the official app to tweetbot. I like its interface more and I'd miss notifications on it. I'd consider it again though once Twitter has more ads.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

tankadillo posted:

For me, lists are the most important feature. Tweetbot makes them easy.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

LOL at paying $10 for a Twitter client if you're not a journalist/celebrity.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

Josh Lyman posted:

LOL at paying $10 for a Twitter client if you're not a journalist/celebrity.

Indeed, it is foolish to pay for features I use daily that don't exist in the official client for the social network I use the most

What's next, paying for someone to cook me authentic ethnic foods? Poppycock!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

LOL at anyone paying :10bux: to chat online.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Legs Benedict posted:

Indeed, it is foolish to pay for features I use daily that don't exist in the official client for the social network I use the most

What's next, paying for someone to cook me authentic ethnic foods? Poppycock!
Twitter is a social network is the same way that the NFL is a participation sport.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

Twitter is a social network is the same way that the NFL is a participation sport.

You paid $10 to participate on this forum with your dumb opinion.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

cage-free egghead posted:

You paid $10 to participate on this forum with your dumb opinion.
Yeah but even this dead gay forum is a much better social network than Twitter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

Josh Lyman posted:

Yeah but even this dead gay forum is a much better social network than Twitter.

They're about on par with each other, don't be silly.