Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING

Suspect Bucket posted:

Is it strange that I am not at all bothered and actually strangely comforted by a B# note and the noise of vuvuzelas?

Eh, I prefer the C-natural vuvuzela :smuggo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ignoranus posted:

Eh, I prefer the C-natural vuvuzela :smuggo:

aatrek's vuvuzela was tuned to the key of A minor

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

canyoneer posted:

I missed power stealing and breaker chat, but here's my contribution.

My South African relatives love to share this story/urban legend about a guy who tried to steal power for his lights and TV from the traffic control signal next to his house. He screwed it up, and wired it up in such a way that his TV and lights were constantly switching on and off with the red light/green light cycling. I don't know enough about how those work to know whether or not it's true, but I expect it's probably an urban legend with some dog whistle(vuvuzela) racism added in

This actually is plausible. At least in the US, traffic lights just use 120V line voltage. There are wires going to each signal light, and the control box just closes a relay to turn on the correct light and opens the relay s for the other lights. If you tapped into one of the hot wires going to a traffic light, it would only have voltage when its light was switched on.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
My girlfriend's dad is insane and doesn't believe in deposits or progress payments, only payment on completion. This results in both paying more and less quality work (because it seems only lovely companies accept this form of payment).

The solar power inverter just broke, its a few weeks inside the 5 year warranty but the company that installed no longer exists and the manufacturer of the inverter no longer has a presence in the country.

Before this it was the lovely gates that were made out of recycled material and are just all sorts of wrong.

Before that it was the airconditioning that failed after two weeks and my girlfriend had to get the manufacturer out to fix it because the installers refused (this is illegal btw).

Thankfully she's figured out how to work around his insanity with the patio that's going to be installed, she's loaded up her credit card with the progress payments and will get the money from him after it's done.

For some context, I live with her in an investment property that he owns, and he pays for some home improvements.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Spookydonut posted:

Before that it was the airconditioning that failed after two weeks and my girlfriend had to get the manufacturer out to fix it because the installers refused (this is illegal btw).

In the US?

Spookydonut posted:

Thankfully she's figured out how to work around his insanity with the patio that's going to be installed, she's loaded up her credit card with the progress payments and will get the money from him after it's done.

And what would happen should he not be happy with the quality/timeliness of the work and demand a discount on work she's already paid for? Will she be holding the bag? Sure hope nothing happens to him between now and then.

Spookydonut posted:

For some context, I live with her in an investment property that he owns, and he pays for some home improvements.

Why isn't he paying for all home improvements on an investment property he owns?

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Cindy Shitbird posted:

aatrek's vuvuzela was tuned to the key of A minor
:master:

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

NancyPants posted:

In the US?
In Australia

NancyPants posted:

And what would happen should he not be happy with the quality/timeliness of the work and demand a discount on work she's already paid for? Will she be holding the bag? Sure hope nothing happens to him between now and then.
They have a 100% refund policy if you're not happy, this is why they were the company she went with. There's no regulations for this type of construction so a lot of research was done. Then again, lol this could turn into a massive disaster.

NancyPants posted:

Why isn't he paying for all home improvements on an investment property he owns?
I have no answer for this

JBark
Jun 27, 2000
Good passwords are a good idea.
This is at my house:

To the left is the shutoff valve for our incoming water main, and then the pipe goes back down underground. As you can see, the original owners planted what would become a decent sized tree directly above the water main, and right next to a brick dividing wall. So not only did the tree take out the dividing wall, it also took out the water main. Their fix was to just take out the bottom bricks of the wall, stick in a steel beam to support to top half of the wall, then run the water main back above ground along the wall.

I'm sure at this point the water main is a structural support for the wall.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
House Of Snakes: Dream Home Turns Out To Be A Nightmare

"Several walk-throughs and an inspection of the house yielded no trouble, but 45 minutes after closing on that October day, plenty of it slithered in.

“I brought my first sort of box here to my bedroom and I found a snake,” Whitley said.

“One quickly turned into 3,4,5. Today is 6 months later and I’m about 95 snakes that I’ve found inside my house,” Whitley said.
That’s 95 inside and a few hundred more outside."

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2017/05/01/house-of-snakes-nightmare-home/

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I was going to say that that was old news, but apparently this is an entirely new snake house, and not the one from a few years ago. How often does this happen?

quote:

"One day, we caught 43 snakes in total and that was it. The next morning I almost stepped on one in our house and I had enough, we can't do this anymore," she told ABC News. "I don't know how we stayed there as long as we did.[

(That family actually signed off on a 'snake disclaimer' though)

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
If I ever go house shopping and get a snake disclaimer, I will buy a house as far as possible from the goddamn snake house.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

It kinda depends on what kind of snake. I mean, a house full of garter snakes? I'm pretty okay with that, could be fun, certainly a good ice breaker when you have company over. Hand out snakes as door prizes. Pin the snake on the donkey. Snake garnishes.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009
I'd amend the snake disclaimer to note that any and all snakes may be delivered directly to the seller/realtor in original working order.

Fake edit: looks like I misspelled "may" there; should read "will".

:can:

Fake edit 2: Bullshit, at best I'd enjoy having 'em around, even with the chance that I'll be trading the occasional Jehova's Witness for frothing Pentecostals; at worst, welp, Snakes-By-Mail is a valid business model.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I mean at least you won't have a mouse problem

Spookydonut posted:

Demand a percentage stake in the property for every dollar you spend improving it.

Of course you won't get it and you'll keep doing what you're doing anyway for the sake of familial harmony etc. but at least it'll put it into your father in law's head that you're not a gullible idiot.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Its Minnesota, so garter snakes clump together in hidey holes to hibernate for the winter.
Fortunately they are non-venomous and have a single tiny tooth that is about as hamful as an insulin tester.

I don't think there are any venomous snakes in MN. Not in the northern half anyway.

Polio Vax Scene fucked around with this message at 18:32 on May 2, 2017

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

they probably poo poo everywhere tho

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Bad Munki posted:

It kinda depends on what kind of snake. I mean, a house full of garter snakes? I'm pretty okay with that, could be fun, certainly a good ice breaker when you have company over. Hand out snakes as door prizes. Pin the snake on the donkey. Snake garnishes.

I was thinking it wasn't that big of a deal either but one of the quotes from those articles was "the water started to taste like them" and that's when I decided a snake infestation was too much to deal with.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

ElCondemn posted:

I was thinking it wasn't that big of a deal either but one of the quotes from those articles was "the water started to taste like them" and that's when I decided a snake infestation was too much to deal with.

Like they'd know what snake tasted like...

drat dirty snake-lickers

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Ashcans posted:

I was going to say that that was old news, but apparently this is an entirely new snake house, and not the one from a few years ago. How often does this happen?

(That family actually signed off on a 'snake disclaimer' though)

There's a life lesson in that second article:

quote:

"This is a buyer beware nation," New York City broker Brian Lewis told ABC News. "You have to do your research because if you don't do your research, you end up with a house full of snakes."

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I must have dodged a bullet then, because I didn't do an ounce of snake-related research when buying my house but I've only seen like one in the yard since I've been here. :sweatdrop:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Bad Munki posted:

I must have dodged a bullet then, because I didn't do an ounce of snake-related research when buying my house but I've only seen like one in the yard since I've been here. :sweatdrop:
That was just a scout. Enjoy your new snake house.

YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010

Bad Munki posted:

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
More than half the species of snakes native to my area are venomous, so a snake house would be a dealbreaker for me. :ohdear:

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Polio Vax Scene posted:

Its Minnesota, so garter snakes clump together in hidey holes to hibernate for the winter.
Fortunately they are non-venomous and have a single tiny tooth that is about as hamful as an insulin tester.

I don't think there are any venomous snakes in MN. Not in the northern half anyway.

We've got some rattlesnakes in the far South Eastern corner of the state. "2" species, one of which hasn't been seen in 50 years. The other is pretty chill:

During a twenty-year period, from
1982-2002, 31 snake bites from Timber Rattlesnakes were reported in
Minnesota. However, only five of these were considered “legitimate”
bites, in which a person inadvertently encountered a rattlesnake and
was bitten. The other 26 bites involved captive snakes or people who
deliberately handled rattlesnakes, and most victims were under the
influence of alcohol. No fatalities due to Timber Rattlesnake bites
were reported during this time frame (Keyler, 2005

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Just don't leave your doors open, and they can't get in,

I've got a Snake Problem

https://vid.me/qfxL

Simple.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I really appreciate that they deliberately separate the people who got drunk and decided to pee on a rattlesnake or something from the regular statistics. No Jeff, gently caress you, I'm not counting your bite because you had it coming.

shortspecialbus posted:

There's a life lesson in that second article:
Now when I go house shopping, I know to put a snake contingency alongside the regular inspection one. Fooled me once, shame on your, fool me twice, I'm not going to get snaked again.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Spookydonut posted:

In Australia

They have a 100% refund policy if you're not happy, this is why they were the company she went with. There's no regulations for this type of construction so a lot of research was done. Then again, lol this could turn into a massive disaster.

Well, thanks for answering my questions. I hope that company doesn't suddenly become insolvent or something.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Leperflesh posted:

they probably poo poo everywhere tho

If they're like rat snakes they only poo poo once a week.

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."
One summer in Texas we filled a 50-gallon barrel with rattlesnakes from the crawl space under the house.

This wasn't even newsworthy, but it sure as poo poo explains why we don't have basements in Texas.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Cocoa Crispies posted:

If they're like rat snakes they only poo poo once a week.

Yeah so if there's 100 snaks making GBS threads once a week that's 100 shits a week or an average of over fourteen and a quarter snak shits daily in under and around your house

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Lime Tonics posted:

Just don't leave your doors open, and they can't get in,

I've got a Snake Problem

https://vid.me/qfxL

Simple.

"That's bad" :lol:

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Leperflesh posted:

Yeah so if there's 100 snaks making GBS threads once a week that's 100 shits a week or an average of over fourteen and a quarter snak shits daily in under and around your house

How much snake poo poo does it take to secure my motorcycle?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

High Lord Elbow posted:

One summer in Texas we filled a 50-gallon barrel with rattlesnakes from the crawl space under the house.

This wasn't even newsworthy, but it sure as poo poo explains why we don't have basements in Texas.

What did you do with the barrel?

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

tomapot posted:

How much snake poo poo does it take to secure my motorcycle?

Exactly 400 pounds :colbert:

bend
Dec 31, 2012
Used it to secure his motorcycle obviously

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Secure your motorcycle with a fifty gallon barrel full of rattlesnakes.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009
gently caress the motorcycle, just train the snakes up to pull your carriage.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Bad Munki posted:

Another innocent player rolls the dice in Snakes and Property Ladders...

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

JBark posted:

This is at my house:

To the left is the shutoff valve for our incoming water main, and then the pipe goes back down underground. As you can see, the original owners planted what would become a decent sized tree directly above the water main, and right next to a brick dividing wall. So not only did the tree take out the dividing wall, it also took out the water main. Their fix was to just take out the bottom bricks of the wall, stick in a steel beam to support to top half of the wall, then run the water main back above ground along the wall.

I'm sure at this point the water main is a structural support for the wall.

I'm going to assume that you live where there is no cold.
That poo poo would freeze up solid even her in TX, in the winter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

NancyPants posted:

Well, thanks for answering my questions. I hope that company doesn't suddenly become insolvent or something.

They've existed longer than any other currently existing company that does this kind of work and exist because of the founder's early experiences in the industry. They pay and treat their installation crews well and as a result they stick around a long time and perform superior work (so they claim, but the ones I've looked at were built very well).