Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Hopper posted:

Just in case I will also order removable stickers so I can play with my GF and reset the game when necessary.

I don't have the game, but I heard it works fine if you've got more than one group playing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Gonna post a better AAR but I felt really smug at my boardgaming convention when in a game of Dungeon Petz + Expansion I scored a pet for 30 points. Only for one of my opponents to score his pet for 36 points.

EDIT: Also Wreckie (see left) was available but everyone was too scared, and thus he sat unloved and was sent to the "retirement farm"

Tekopo fucked around with this message at 15:36 on May 2, 2017

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Tekopo posted:

Gonna post a better AAR but I felt really smug at my boardgaming convention when in a game of Dungeon Petz + Expansion I scored a pet for 30 points. Only for one of my opponents to score his pet for 36 points.

EDIT: Also Wreckie (see left) was available but everyone was too scared, and thus he sat unloved and was sent to the "retirement farm"

How is the expansion for Dungeon Petz? I've seen it floating around but I barely play the original (as much as I love it) and wonder if it's worth grabbing?

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

FulsomFrank posted:

How is the expansion for Dungeon Petz? I've seen it floating around but I barely play the original (as much as I love it) and wonder if it's worth grabbing?

It expands on the base game by giving you additional options for increased risks/rewards (additional needs accessories for pets, etc), along with in general making it a more difficult game. Think dungeon lords xpac, or Space alert, where it's basically just more of what you probably like about the base game.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I like the xpac for Dungeon Petz more than the one for Dungeon Lords because the difficulty is "opt-in", so it's easier for newbies. Sure, you can load up your pet to make him harder to look after/get the difficult pets etc and you'll score more points, but you don't have to. The xpac gives you 4 additional actions, which is counter-balanced by giving the players more imps/money at the start. Also I kind of like the expansion more because it can allow all players to get a pet in the first turn (even though the eventual winner in our game didn't get a pet until the second turn). The xpac also lengthens the game by one round, which is nice.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I like the Dungeon Lords expansion a lot but gently caress Paladins.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Bottom Liner posted:

I like the Dungeon Lords expansion a lot but gently caress Paladins.

That's when you manipulate your evilness enough to send them after someone even less prepared for it

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Sloober posted:

That's when you manipulate your evilness enough to send them after someone even less prepared for it
No, that's when you stop giving a poo poo, get 2 dragons and a demon and go full evil and reap those sweet, sweet Paladin points. The only way to play.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Tekopo posted:

No, that's when you stop giving a poo poo, get 2 dragons and a demon and go full evil and reap those sweet, sweet Paladin points. The only way to play.

Until you hit max evil and need to take the Kindness action (or whatever it's called) a bunch, so you can pay your vampire and ghosts.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

nimby posted:

Until you hit max evil and need to take the Kindness action (or whatever it's called) a bunch, so you can pay your vampire and ghosts.

That's why you grab the Press Room.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

God I love dungeon lords so much.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Some Numbers posted:

That's why you grab the Press Room.

You have no idea how disappointed I was when the press room function didn't turn out to be manufacturing adventurer based beverages.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is there a decent board game for 12 people? I've got a party coming up and I'm not so sure in my ability to scale up Imperial Assault for that many people.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
I bought Dungeon Lords (Anniversary Ed) on Tabletop Day... last year ...and still haven't learned/played it. :(

I really need to get on that.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Taintrunner posted:

Is there a decent board game for 12 people? I've got a party coming up and I'm not so sure in my ability to scale up Imperial Assault for that many people.

You're probably either looking to break people up into smaller groups or playing 2 Rooms and a Boom. I don't think even most social deduction games go to 12.

If you have to resort to doing Cards Against Humanity, you've likely failed as a gaming host and possibly as a human being.

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo

Taintrunner posted:

Your options are really limited, but if everyone is serious about playing games then splitting into two or three groups is the way to go. If people don't want to split because its more of a social gathering then Codenames or Wits and Wagers are your only real options. If one or two people cancel then The Resistance, One Night Ultimate Werewolf, and Space Cadets Dice Duel w/ expansion can all seat 10 and Panic on Wall Street can seat 11.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Taintrunner posted:

Outside of social deduction games, not really. It would be an utter slog to subject yourselves to. Two groups of 6 is much better, and at that point you can break out Sushi Go Party and other things like that.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Monikers = good charades.

Wits and wagers is game show dressed up trivia and betting where you DO NOT need to get a single answer right to win. Poker chip fun. Use teams.

12 is a lot even for party games. Its just hard to get 12 people physically around a table to look at board. Codenames is infinite teams but you need to physically get around a board. So 2 rooms and a boom or some werewolf style game...which aren't exactly board games in the sense of an imperial assault if that's what you are looking for.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
If we had 12 I would recommend 3 groups of 4 and split them into people that want to play light/medium/heavy stuff. 6 is still hard to do much with other than party games and fillers.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

You can play Codenames with 12 but I have no idea what else you'd want to play other than two rooms and a boom.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
Telestrations goes to 12 I think

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

Merauder posted:

I bought Dungeon Lords (Anniversary Ed) on Tabletop Day... last year ...and still haven't learned/played it. :(

I really need to get on that.

Yeah, I bought it ages ago and haven't got round to it. I'm intimidated by the size of the the Anniversary Edition box :v:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Dead Last goes to 12, and ONUW with expansions can be forced out to 12 if you don't mind total chaos.

Mascarade can hold thirteen, and we actually managed it once.

Mecharasputin
May 30, 2009

Ultra Carp
Deeption: Murder in Hong Kong goes up to 12, but I haven't the slightest idea whether that'd be any fun. The biggest group I played was eight, and that was a blast so maybe..

Thanks for the Mechs vs Minions comments, I'll jump on that the 2nd edition of that one in June, and try to grab a retail copy of Gloomhaven 2.0 once that's out too :]

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Ironically since KSing Anniversary Edition I have played Dungeon Lords very few times. Transporting the box is a pain and I don't have a good solution for it. It's a shame.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

I don't think, even if they support it, most games would be good with 12. Set up a heavy game like imperial assault and get some light games you can get going and run themselves for other people standing around. Or go for games designed for all those people.

I love Eldritch Horror. I would never play with max played count of 8. If there was an expansion or house rules to go to 12. I would run screaming. Its just not good for that.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Get Captain Sonar and make three teams. Winners stay, losers rotate out.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Gort posted:

I don't have the game, but I heard it works fine if you've got more than one group playing it.

One thing we started which I'd recommend to anyone is after new locations are revealed I jot down a quick note on the party sheet about which location is what. E.g. "clear oozes from the privy (29) or help them find a new home (66)"

That helps a lot in managing what's going on.

Also marking poo poo done is via a dab of red sharpie. Easily visible yet leaves it open to re-marking in a darker color for future playthroughs / alternate campaigns. I figure if we need even MORE than that then it's just time to buy a new copy :v:

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Taintrunner posted:

Three good 4 player games.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

At that size I'd just say play Two Rooms and a Boom or Mafia/Werewolf if they demand not to be split up. At those counts no matter what you play it'll be more socializing than playing anyway.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Taintrunner posted:

Talisman: The Magical Quest game can support a theoretical unlimited number of players. 12 out of the box without expansions is doable!

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

CommonShore posted:

Get Captain Sonar and make three teams. Winners stay, losers rotate out.

Losers get sent into space.

(Play Space Alert)

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Taintrunner posted:

Diplomacy with teams of 2.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Tekopo posted:

Ironically since KSing Anniversary Edition I have played Dungeon Lords very few times. Transporting the box is a pain and I don't have a good solution for it. It's a shame.

I just got the anniversary upgrade stuff, so everything fits in the base game box. Unfortunately one friend now believes the game got too hard and my last 2 player game With GF ended with such a blowout I'm afraid it won't hit the table again soon. I lost 2 tunnels total, while bagging a paladin in year 2, while she lost 8 tiles or something.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

nimby posted:

I just got the anniversary upgrade stuff, so everything fits in the base game box. Unfortunately one friend now believes the game got too hard and my last 2 player game With GF ended with such a blowout I'm afraid it won't hit the table again soon. I lost 2 tunnels total, while bagging a paladin in year 2, while she lost 8 tiles or something.

It is not a game for those unwilling to see bad repercussions for mistakes

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Yeah I got the upgrade and new box since I had the game and expansion already.

Who's interested in PBP of High Treason! The Trial of Luis Riel? Two players wanted.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Playing codenames with 12 people is on my bucket list

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Codenames isn't even great past like 8 people.

If you have 12 people that are coming over for social interaction, play homemade Monikers/Fish Bowl/Triples where each person submits their own word or phrase. That is the extent of gaming that most people envision when you mention it.

If you have 12 people coming over with the explicit intent to play board games, split up into 3 4P games.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
A friend of mine recently purchased "Fake Artist Goes to New York" for what feels like a ludicrous amount of money for what's inside the box. The idea of the game is so good, so maybe the maker deserves it.

So how it goes: You have a game-master, who comes up with a theme (public), and a word that matches the theme (not public). The game-master is incentivised to make the word easy to guess, because that's how he "wins". For N players he writes the word on N-1 little cards, and an X (or an illegible scribble) on the last card. People now get one card each. The person who got the X is the "fake artist" and it's his job to camouflage the fact that he doesn't know the word. Each player is given a pen, ideally in a different colour, and a notepad goes around the table twice. When the notepad reaches you, you may draw a line on it, the idea being that the group, together, draws the word that was given. After the drawing is done, everybody votes simultaneously on who they think is the fake artist. If a majority of votes is correct, the fake artist and game master lose, and the rest of the group win.

The idea may not sound *that* interesting, and I thought it would be boring, but then I actually played it and it felt magical. When it's your turn to draw you must be very careful to show to others that you know the word, without making it too obvious for the fake artist, so it's actually quite tricky. Things get *really* magical when players interpret what they want to draw differently (example: theme "location", word "left") and then it's just chaos. The game plays fast, and even in larger groups I don't think the downtime would be bad, because you're watching what every person is drawing.

Since the game basically only requires pen and paper, you might want to give it a shot with your 12 person group. The box comes with 9 dry-erase cards, so maybe it's only intended for so many, but that doesn't have to matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
All the Oink Games I've played rule, fave at the moment is Startups which is set collection where payout is dependent on a lot of non-majority shares being in play, so the tension is in trying to build as many majorities as possible or dropping liabilities. I mean, they're all very expensive when viewed as components, but it's small print runs in an inconvenient country. I mean if you really can't stomach it, Fake Artist is just a brilliant game you can play w/ paper and pens.