Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

The other benefits to cutting the races short is you could bring in Sunday night racing. If its a 2.5 3 hour race which they would be, drop the green at 7p eastern and its over by 10 - 10:30 which is still earlier than Sunday night football.

That helps address an issue brought up by someone about Richmond. It was over 90 loving degrees. Now you aren't fighting with Saturday night short tracks or college football in the south. Your only real competition is what ever poo poo primetime game the NFL scheduled. Packers v Jags isn't compelling tv and thats what they would be up against.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Incoming hot takes from yours truly:

Nuke the chase/playoffs/whatever. The classic point system is what got them into the glory days, not some convoluted bullshit.

Cut down on Busch Whacking. Limit drivers in NXS and MECS to 5 crossovers between the two series. If it's a track that only that series does (such as NXS only doing RA), it does not count towards these 5. Daytona 500 also doesn't count towards this limit. Crossover to Trucks is fine because we're talking two completely different type of cars here.

Keep on promoting the 500 as your big race, and allow open qualifying for it because of it's nature (taking a page from Indy here).

Stages are... good? They're not terrible, because they do accomplish something that was needed: a way to make the middle of the race interesting. Just make it so the two early stages are a quarter of the total points, and the last half. Rewards consistent driving over a race as well.

Race length is a problem. Cut down on some of the three hour races down to two. The most historic races can maintain the length.

Cut down on repeat tracks and return to some of the more historic tracks that have been ignored. Add another road course. Use NXS to judge potential fan reaction to a race there. If a race is successful, consider bringing the big show along as well.

Cut back ticket prices, or try to anyway.

The charter system was good intentions that failed. Having massive teams is not healthy, and I understand that. It needs some work.

Limit the number of paint scheme changes per year per car. Say 3, maybe 4 different ones (regular, Daytona 500, Darlington throwback, and a special one off for a specific race).

Above all else: stop chasing casual fans and shore up your existing fanbase. It's easy to grab attention, but to hold it after that is the tricky part. You're falling at the latter, NASCAR.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

Genocide Tendency posted:

Get rid of the truck series.

1 point per position

Truck series: It's great.

1 point per position: Of all the changes they've made the last few decades, I hate this the most. NASCAR: a system of multiple types of points classes and elimination rounds are fine but graduated points has been deemed confusing. :crossarms:

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

mactheknife posted:

Yeah, I'd keep the plate tracks and I guess the Coke 600 long - maybe Bristol too?

I just can't justify spending an entire Sunday afternoon watching this poo poo anymore. Feel the same way about the NFL.

The only reason I still watch the NFL is Red Zone. Without that the games are unbearable. Too many stoppages, too many ads. NASCAR has the same problem.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

The points scaling is a god drat disaster

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

The problem with ads is it's a universal plague here in the US. TV shows have gotten shorter and shorter as networks sell more ad space.

The problem with racing is they don't have logical breaks in the action for ads like other sports (except association football), except drag racing, but that's a very hard type to broadcast live anyway. I mean yeah, cautions/FCY/SC is probably the best time to do it, but if you don't show ads, the sponsors get bitchy.

And if the sponsors get bitchy, they threaten to pull out.

Given almost every company these days are solely there to turn a profit, guess what they choose.

iospace fucked around with this message at 18:43 on May 2, 2017

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

iospace posted:

The problem with ads is it's a universal plague here in the US. TV shows have gotten shorter and shorter as networks sell more ad space.

The problem with racing is they don't have logical breaks in the action for ads like other sports (except association football), except drag racing, but that's a very hard type to broadcast live anyway. I mean yeah, cautions/FCY/SC is probably the best time to do it, but if you don't show ads, the sponsors get bitchy.

And if the sponsors get bitchy, they threaten to pull out.

Given almost every company these days are solely there to turn a profit, guess what they choose.

Yeah but with TV we virtually all have ways to watch it without ads, either with a DVR or like Hulu. You could do this with sports, but most people don't like time-shifting live sports, and you still miss some of the action.

Goes back to what I was saying in the IndyCar thread about giving me a way to pay for it and watch it commercial free on whatever device I want, but that means these companies accepting that the wild amounts of money they used to make isn't coming back. It's about them accepting a little long-term pain (in the form of less TV rights money) in exchange for building/rebuilding an audience.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
Chase: Kill it

Points: More points per position for top 5 and top 10 like it used to be, maybe 5 points per position for 1-5, 3 points for 6-10, 2 points for 11-20 and 1 for 21-30, gently caress below 30th.

For races, maybe more like 100 miles for trucks, 200 for 2nd tier, 300 for cup, with exceptions for Daytona, Charlotte, keep Bristol/Martinsville 500 laps. Stages are good, also makes the bonus points mean something (obviously killing the chase removes the bonus bonus points for winning)

More short tracks. Short tracks own. Super hot take: Kill Indy, go to IRP instead.

Add another road course, or replace Sonoma, the tracks the trucks and 2nd tier go to are better than it.

Just in general, unfuck the schedule. Too lazy to check, but isn't it like 20 of the races are 1.5 cookie cutters?

To address some of the other points

Remove trucks? Remove yourself from this thread.

Reduce the stands? Why? This only makes cost of attending MORE expensive.

Remove official sponsors. This would be better long term for NASCAR, but would be disastrous short term, should happen, won't until they go bankrupt.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

If you kill a series, kill NXS. Offer some sort of displacement incentive for at least some of those teams to move to Trucks or Cup.

Cut the length of all races except plate races, short tracks, and any track which has one date. (If we're going to run Atlanta once, at least give them their 500 miles).

Give us fewer companion races- NXS and Trucks need to run more short tracks like it was in the late '90s. Don't bullshit me about "We can't sell seats for those races!" because you're not selling NXS seats as it is. You could probably get more people to go to Myrtle Beach on a Summer Saturday night for an NXS race than you would at Texas. Eldora draws a nice crowd for Trucks and it's on a Wednesday night (and starts later this year because apparently nobody going to that race has to go to work the next day :downsbravo:).

Genocide Tendency posted:

In theory the financial goal needs to be getting costs down for teams so they can go back to 1 primary sponsor for the entire season. Trying to guess what loving color car your driver is in this week is annoying. I use to be able to turn on the tv and look for the black 3 with Goodwrench written on it. It use to be a big rear end deal when a sponsor changed or paint scheme was switched. Now you need a loving livery guide for every god drat race. Also cutting costs would likely allow for full fields. Lets not point fingers at charters being a problem when we aren't even running full fields.

I agree with the "go back to one or two paint schemes" notion, but it'll never happen because probably somebody in NASCAR realizes that's more diecasts to sell.

NASCAR had full fields until the Charter system came along.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Slickdrac posted:

Super hot take: Kill Indy, go to IRP instead.

Is this really a hot take? I'm from Indy and most fans I know hate NASCAR at the Speedway and would love this.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

Fauxhawk Express posted:

Is this really a hot take? I'm from Indy and most fans I know hate NASCAR at the Speedway and would love this.

Pretty sure if you had any media credentials, they'd be removed and you'd be barred from future passes if you attempted to suggest that and NASCAR got wind of it.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
The stage racing system is a half-solution to the main problem of most of the races being too drat long. NASCAR should consider doing what (V8) Supercars does in Australia. Take the races and break them up into two or three races throughout the weekend, and/or immediate back-to-back races on the same day.

If you have NXS and Cup at Atlanta, for example, you can do NXS Race #1 for 200 miles Saturday morning, qualify Cup immediately after, then go right into NXS Race #2 for 200 miles Saturday afternoon, then have Cup Race #1 in a 100 mile Saturday night "feature race." On Sunday afternoon you have the "main event," with Cup Race #2 for 200 miles, a bonafide "halftime break" of 30-45 minutes for TV and car adjustments, and then Cup Race #3 for the last 200 miles, which would determine the overall winner of the "Atlanta 500." Each race would get full race points toward the season championship, no playoffs needed.

Races at Daytona, Talledega, Charlotte, Bristol, and other historically big tracks can keep one of their races at full distance. So you'll have the Daytona 500 but the summer race will be 400 miles over 3 balls-to-the-wall races. The Coke 600 will remain NASCAR's "endurance" race, but the 500 miler at Charlotte can have the two longest "short" races on the calendar. And so on.\

This needs to happen in the next few years. Society's attention spans aren't long enough for a typical NASCAR race, but I think doing things this way will give viewers more entrance and exit points to follow the series and give fans attending the races (literally) non-stop on-track action.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
either one of trucks or nationwide should be cut, i think. I'd cut Nationwide because it may be the worst racing series on the planet.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I don't like cutting race lengths because it seems to be trying to fix the symptoms (the racing post-COT is very boring, so make the races shorter) rather than the cause (the cars don't provide good racing, though the latest Gen6 improvements have helped)

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Honestly, I think Xfinity can be saved, but the problem is the crossover from the main series. While forcing people to only get points for one series, Busch Whacking is strangling the series. End Busch Whacking before we say kill the series.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The loss of shitloads of the small Busch-only teams killed the series, which may have been a result of buschwhacking. I don't know how to fix that, though, other than drastically reducing the cost it takes to run competitively in Xfinity.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

mactheknife posted:

Yeah, I'd keep the plate tracks and I guess the Coke 600 long - maybe Bristol too?

I just can't justify spending an entire Sunday afternoon watching this poo poo anymore. Feel the same way about the NFL.

Bristol's races are only 250 miles long

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

Peanut President posted:

Bristol's races are only 250 miles long

266½ miles long :eng101:

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

WindyMan posted:

266½ miles long :eng101:

I'm gonna kick your rear end 266 and one half times, fucker

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.
don't kill any series but make Xfinity turbocharged 4 cylinders with a shorter wheelbase and narrower track, move the pony car bodies to Cup and leave them V8's, and don't touch the Trucks

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

WindyMan posted:

The stage racing system is a half-solution to the main problem of most of the races being too drat long. NASCAR should consider doing what (V8) Supercars does in Australia. Take the races and break them up into two or three races throughout the weekend, and/or immediate back-to-back races on the same day.

If you have NXS and Cup at Atlanta, for example, you can do NXS Race #1 for 200 miles Saturday morning, qualify Cup immediately after, then go right into NXS Race #2 for 200 miles Saturday afternoon, then have Cup Race #1 in a 100 mile Saturday night "feature race." On Sunday afternoon you have the "main event," with Cup Race #2 for 200 miles, a bonafide "halftime break" of 30-45 minutes for TV and car adjustments, and then Cup Race #3 for the last 200 miles, which would determine the overall winner of the "Atlanta 500." Each race would get full race points toward the season championship, no playoffs needed.

Races at Daytona, Talledega, Charlotte, Bristol, and other historically big tracks can keep one of their races at full distance. So you'll have the Daytona 500 but the summer race will be 400 miles over 3 balls-to-the-wall races. The Coke 600 will remain NASCAR's "endurance" race, but the 500 miler at Charlotte can have the two longest "short" races on the calendar. And so on.\

This needs to happen in the next few years. Society's attention spans aren't long enough for a typical NASCAR race, but I think doing things this way will give viewers more entrance and exit points to follow the series and give fans attending the races (literally) non-stop on-track action.

I guess I can't see "Watch one race, go do something, then come back for another later" working. It turns a three-hour experience into an all-day ordeal.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

The loss of shitloads of the small Busch-only teams killed the series, which may have been a result of buschwhacking. I don't know how to fix that, though, other than drastically reducing the cost it takes to run competitively in Xfinity.

It was Buschwacking in part because why should Monster spend money on Ricky Carmichael's attempt at a NASCAR career when they could get a steep discount on sponsoring Kyle Busch in NXS?

At this point, I think our best hope for NXS are competitive Cup teams fielding cars for Cup washouts (Sadler, Gaughan, Allgaier, Regan Smith) and up-and-coming drivers and getting Cup guys out of the series once and for all.

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
who finish in the position
you never want

kidcoelacanth posted:

nascar is very quickly coming to a crossroads where if they don't look inwards and make wholesale changes to how they run their poo poo, this sport is completely hosed. it's an increasingly grim conversation. more than ever i'm worried that they've buried their heads in their own bullshit too far to pull back out at this point. as someone who's pretty much dedicated my life to this godforsaken traveling circus, both in my own time and in my career, it's utterly maddening that no one who has the power to fix things seems to give a poo poo.

even making all the right moves and putting together a perfect gameplan for saving nascar would be a hail mary at this point because they've bled their audience away to such an incredible degree.

i am sad about cars

I'm with kidc. To me, NASCAR's devolution is like someone took a crap in the middle of a room, but the homeowner won't clean it up. They seem to notice the smell, but the response is always "Let's move the furniture" or "Let's repaint the walls" or "Let's knock down this wall and put in a dance floor." Now it's not just a matter of fixing the original problem, there's a whole lot of other stuff that needs to be un-done. And some of those things are irretrievably broken.

A tortured metaphor to be sure, but come on, only NASCAR could look at the response to Eldora and say "A second race in Las Vegas? Sure!"

Edit: holy crap two pages of posts

LASTCAR fucked around with this message at 22:10 on May 2, 2017

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
There is no saving NASCAR. There are too many entrenched interests that will block any meaningful change.

Instead, they should invest in a lot of new series and see what sticks. (GRC for exampled)

Captain Dickweed
Mar 3, 2003

Yes, that kitty is probably the head of a multi-national conglomerated business...uh...thing.

keevo posted:

NASCAR just needs Vince McMahon.

Funny you should mention that.

http://www.racer.com/nascar/item/140125-rir-taps-wwe-marketer-for-promotional-campaign

RACER.com posted:

Richmond International Raceway was in need of an advocate. Paul Heyman happens to make a living being such an individual.

The sharp-witted and bombastic advocate for the current WWE Universal champion Brock Lesner, Heyman also runs a viral marketing agency, Looking 4 Larry, alongside business partner Mitchell Stuart. The two were the perfect answer to Richmond's idea of breaking the mold with its promotional work in hopes of making its September race weekend a must-attend event.

The track plays an important role in setting the lineup for the NASCAR playoffs, but all involved admit attendance has been less than stellar. A confessed NASCAR fan, Heyman thrives on challenges and was excited to hear Richmond wanted to discuss radical, disruptive ways to garner attention for its event.

"The goal is always to provide the client satisfaction on all the items they want addressed," Heyman (pictured) told RACER of what he wants to accomplish. "Number one, attendance is a crucial issue. Public image, in and around the event, is another issue. Branding the event to the racetrack, again, to an outsider what is the difference between Richmond and Bristol? What is the difference between Bristol and Daytona? What's the difference between Daytona and Richmond?"

It will take a three-pronged approach to conquering those issues.

"A, it's a matter of branding and marketing the actual event itself," Heyman said. "B, it's incorporating the fact that even if you don't come to this particular event the weekend of September 8th and 9th, hey, if you're ever in town, this is a great place to come by. And C, here's why the event needs to be in Richmond; here's what you can do in Richmond; here's how we get the entire community behind the event and lure people into joining the community, as the community gets involved with more participation.

"I think as you go down a few miles from (the track) to the University, there's a whole campus culture that is unaware of the fact there is a huge race in town. There is a loss of communication to that demographic and identifying that loss and repairing that loss and building the bridge to that audience, as far as I can see, is a major component of luring in new fans. Because I don't know if you're going to convince fans who have moved on to other pursuits to come back. It's a revolving turnstile of life."

Casual fans experiencing an event is also key. For this, Heyman points to the WWE as having mastered that better than any company or sport. Every year the week leading up to its biggest occasion, WrestleMania, there is "WrestleMania Axxess," an interactive fan experience taking place over the course of a few days. Fans can meet WWE superstars, take in memorabilia exhibits, experience interactive displays and more.

"You don't have to be a WWE fan to enjoy WrestleMania week," said Heyman. "There's so much to do; there's so much interactive participation. There's so much to please their fan base – but also an audience outside of their fan base that it's not just a spectacle, it's not just a mega-event, it's a happening. And if you miss it, then you missed out on something. I think that's one of the keys to our campaign for September; we need to create awareness for the community of Richmond, Virginia. It's almost as if we're acting as a de-facto Chamber of Commerce, and it's about driving people to come here, to where the race is actually secondary to those who are not fans. And maybe some of those people will be hooked by the excitement and exhilaration and the thrill of it all, but even if they're not inclined to become race fans, is a fan of the event."

For the Richmond race weekend, the agency will hit its task from all angles. There have been talks about non-conventional billboards, television advertising, and a radio presence. Of course, there will also be a heavy push on social media.

Stuart started pre-production work by visiting Richmond a few times before NASCAR rolled into town last weekend. Both he and Heyman were then attendance for the Toyota Owners 400, taking in the environment as they began their work for the fall race. Heyman spent time doing interviews, including one with Dale Earnhardt Jr. More importantly, he was able to get a feel for the culture.

With his schedule in the WWE of going from city to city, hotel to hotel, and arena to arena, Heyman has often joked Paris, France, is the same as Detroit, Michigan. If it a point of interest isn't within eyesight, he doesn't experience it. In Richmond, Heyman had the chance to embed in the community.

"It's fascinating to me because I get a chance to talk to everybody in the community and find out, 'Are you excited about this race and if so, why?'" Heyman said. "We'll know what works, and, 'Oh, you haven't heard about it, I wonder why not?, and identifying the root cause of the break in communication or the lack of communication to me will be a major component in addressing how we can help the racetrack reach out further and deeper into the community, since the cultural habits of this community have changed dramatically in the past couple of years, as with many other major southern cities."

So, what can Heyman do for Richmond? There is one client Heyman points to as an indication of the Looking 4 Larry agency's success.

"I think our turnover at the Hard Rock Hotel and Casino Las Vegas exceeded even our expectations, which are usually pretty lofty," Heyman admitted. "When we walked in it was no secret their pool parties were dead ... By the second event we went to they were already selling out the pool party, by the third event they were selling out the pool party, the cabanas and they bungalows. By the fourth party – and we only did four – we sold out the pool party, the cabanas, and the bungalows. The bottle service got sold out, we sold out the VIP party on the Friday night before, and we filled the steakhouse and the restaurants in the club for Thursday and Friday night. It demonstrated we had collaborated on a turnaround for the casino even we couldn't have anticipated."

As Heyman settled in high above Richmond for the start of Sunday's race, there was a simple analogy that came to mind about the job ahead.
"There is an election coming up in Richmond the weekend of September 8th and 9th," Heyman said, "and if the people don't come to the polls, we lose the election."

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.
eagerly awaiting the dumpster at the track gate where people can put road signs they stole and the drivers use later to hit each other with while this blasts on the track PA

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

daslog posted:

There is no saving NASCAR. There are too many entrenched interests that will block any meaningful change.

Instead, they should invest in a lot of new series and see what sticks. (GRC for exampled)

I'm not so quick to write them off personally, given everyone thought AOWR was dead after The Split. It's still kicking. A shadow of it's former self maybe, but it's good, the racing is good, and people are having fun.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Does NASCAR/ISC still have a stake in IMSA from the Rolex days? I know they got ownership of Road Atlanta in the ALMS/Rolex merger.

I find it hard to believe (or maybe just unfathomable) that this will completely come to an end, but they need to get one of their ideas right fast.

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN...MY NAME IS PAUL HEYMAN, AND I AM THE ADVOCATE, FOR THE GREATEST RACE DRIVER OF ALL TIME.... DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALE EARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRNHARRRRRRRRRRRRRDT, JUNIOOOOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRR.

MY CLIENT...HAS ONE LAST CHANCE, AT A TITLE. AND, TO ACHIEVE IT, HE WILL BE TAKING ON REIGNING CHAMPION JIMMIE JOHNSON (slight boos), NUMBER ONE CONTENDERS KYLE "ROWDY" BUSCH (boos), AND JO-EY...LO-GANO (boos).

BUT, REST ASSURED, AT THE END OF THE DAY, HE WILL TAKE THE COMPETITION...TO JUNYER CITY.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I think so? Both NASCAR and IMSA have links to each other on their sites way on the bottom, and Jim France (same family as NASCAR) is the chair.

On that note, I think part of why IMSA has been thriving instead of wasting away is because DPi is a fantastic way to get factories involved without spending the loads of cash that a LMP1-H needs. They also never had the following NASCAR has so they know they're a niche racing type, so there's no need to go full on ham-fisting gimmicks into it.

:sigh:

I also miss the days of #24 having the rainbow scheme, but that's a different matter.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

IMSA is owned outright by NASCAR.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Cygni posted:

IMSA is owned outright by NASCAR.

It's scary how well run IMSA is compared to NASCAR.

Then again, as I just said a post above yours, one is a niche type of racing (though I don't get why more people don't want to watch the classic slugfest of Corvette vs Ford GT vs Ferrari vs Porsche), so there's no need to try to recapture the lightning it once had, which is exactly what NASCAR is doing.

I think they correlate the fact that ratings still went up after they implemented the chase as a sign it was a good thing.

The problem is, no other series does point gimmicks that extreme. Both major open wheel series have, or still do in Indy's case, done double points for the last race (and the 500 for Indy for the obvious reasons). Beyond that, I can't think of anything even remotely close to the chase/playoffs/this loving thing in racing.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
British Superbikes do a chase for the title.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

NHRA does an elimination style championship but it fits a bit better with the sport since every weekend is an elimination race. The name The Countdown is dumb af though.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

algebra testes posted:

big nipples big life posted:

NHRA does an elimination style championship but it fits a bit better with the sport since every weekend is an elimination race. The name The Countdown is dumb af though.

Ah, thanks for letting me know!

And yeah, it does fit for NHRA just by the nature of the normal weekends.

Then again, NHRA is a bit of a niche sport too, which is probably why that flew under my radar.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
To be fair to the NHRA, more people participate in drag racing than any other form of motorsport in the country.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

algebra testes posted:

They started doing that after Nascar right?

Iirc, there's is a straight "x number of races" chase rather than the elimination clusterfuck and they seem to make it work.

I still have the view you can't have playoffs in a competition where the eliminated competitors are still there and can still affect events.

It'd be like a Denver-Seattle superbowl but we've got 3 players from the 49ers on the pitch and offered money for field goals if they can steal the ball and make one, it just doesn't make sense as a concept.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

WEC does I think double points for Le Mans, I think Blancpain GT does quad points for the 24 hours of Spa with full normal race points awarded at 6 and 12 hours and double points at the finish.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

VikingSkull posted:

To be fair to the NHRA, more people participate in drag racing than any other form of motorsport in the country.

You can drag race any car! (Except a new dodge demon because it is unsafe).

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I had deep suspicions on IMSA being owned by the Frances, mainly because of how effectively they killed AMA, but then again, Grand-Am always generally seemed like a well-run series.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

Elephanthead posted:

You can drag race any car! (Except a new dodge demon because it is unsafe).

any car that is faster than 10.99 IIRC is banned :ssh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Paul Heyman is a horrible businessman.

• Locked thread