Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

ThinkTank posted:

I was super disappointed in him this year because he doubled his career penalty minutes from 4 to 8 in 237 games.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Is it possible Lou re-signed Smith with the idea of leaving him unprotected?

Not a goon, not protected. ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Is it possible Lou re-signed Smith with the idea of leaving him unprotected?

He's absolutely eligible for the expansion draft, but this will be his third year with the team and there's no reason to think Babs won't play him. Framing it as a sly way to get around exposure requirements and nothing more is ignoring history.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

A smart team would take the better players that are unprotected.

McPhee might be smart enough to avoid Smith.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Drunk Canuck posted:

A smart team would take the better players that are unprotected.

McPhee might be smart enough to avoid Smith.

TBH, I have no idea what McPhee's rep is but I assume it isn't too bad because it's one of the few things SAS hasn't roasted the gently caress out of Vegas for since things got rolling with them.

Since this draft isn't all that deep I'm curious to see what Vegas does with their 1st pick since they didn't get a great one. Maybe Makar or Tippett?

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 19:50 on May 2, 2017

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

TBH, I have no idea what McPhee's rep is but I assume it isn't too bad because it's one of the few things SAS hasn't roasted the gently caress out of Vegas for since things got rolling with them.

Since this draft isn't all that deep I'm curious to see what Vegas does with their 1st pick since they didn't get a great one. Maybe Makar or Tippett?

gently caress GM McPhee, he traded away Forsberg and can still kiss my rear end for that.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

McPhee's had his issues but as NHL GMs go you can do a whole ton worse.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

No, he's still under contract in Tampa.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Yaya posted:

N: Zaitsev gets 7 years/4.5m per.
V: Somewhere, Don Cherry is furious.

there aren't too many D who have gotten 7-year contracts recently, this seems kind of crazy

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Yaya posted:

N: Zaitsev gets 7 years/4.5m per.
V: Somewhere, Don Cherry is furious.

https://twitter.com/IgorEronko/status/859462328739393537

This Zaitsev guy seems alright.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Holy poo poo, somebody fax this to don cherry, i wanna see him lay into those dirty russians again.

No class.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Worth every penny

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I think I like Nikita Zaitsev now.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Zaitsev probably wears t-shirts and track pants to games.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
good thing he's not playing for the Jets then

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Seven years is kinda goofy for Zaitsev. Hope it doesn't bite them but, well, yeesh.

Koopa Kid posted:

He's absolutely eligible for the expansion draft, but this will be his third year with the team and there's no reason to think Babs won't play him. Framing it as a sly way to get around exposure requirements and nothing more is ignoring history.

I'll spend the offseason telling myself that they extended Byron Froese then banished him so hope's not dead.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

He's not wrong.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

https://twitter.com/mirtle/status/859507889471332352

https://twitter.com/mirtle/status/859507510126014464

See the god drat problem here is that we don't have prime years Martin Brodeur in net. Though interesting he talks about the kids which means Hunlak is potentially over.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

I just hate the idea that the Leafs are paying out a pretty rich contract over 7 years speculatively. I wish Zaitsev had another year under his belt. As it stands it just seems too risky to assume that he'll be worth it 3 years from now, and I don't like how much the org seems to have fallen in love with the guy considering how hard he struggled once Rielly got hurt.

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
lmfao

https://twitter.com/MitchMirsky/status/859493299798892544

(tim murray and the recently-fired doug whaley)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

https://twitter.com/leahysean/status/859508026860081152

:downs:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

whatis posted:

lmfao

ahaha that's great

less great

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I

I what.

Yes, all of four people watch it. Uh huh. It's totally not the biggest hockey tourney ever because NOPE, NO ONE WATCHES HURRRRRRRRRRRR.

Go gently caress yourself.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The 2010 gold medal game is still the highest rated TV broadcast in canada of all time.

Half of the country watched the whole game, over 80% watched at least part.

That is how hockey gains fans.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Powershift posted:

The 2010 gold medal game is still the highest rated TV broadcast in canada of all time.

I though the final THP concert unthroned it

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Powershift posted:

None of them make Jeremy Jacobs money or things for his horse to jump over.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Is it possible for Jeremy Jacobs or Eugene Melnyk to open their mouths without saying something stupid?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Ginette Reno posted:

Is it possible for any sports owner to open their mouths without saying something stupid?

No.

Actually, let me

No.

Also fixed that for you.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

bunnyofdoom posted:

I though the final THP concert unthroned it

That was only 4.33 million people.

The gold medal game was 16.67 million.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Once again, gently caress the Bruins.

Arabian Jesus
Feb 15, 2008

We've got the American Jesus
Bolstering national faith

We've got the American Jesus
Overwhelming millions every day

Seven years for Zaitsev only works if he becomes a top defender so that the team doesn't have to worry about him being due for a big payday around the time Matthews, Marner and Nylander need to be resigned. I don't know how I feel about this deal and won't have any strong feelings on it anytime soon.

Ben Smith though ugh, why? I'd rather see them resign Boyle and rotate between him and Gauthier on the fourth line.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Powershift posted:

Aww you just reminded me about everyone taking their pee breaks at once

How was this 7 years ago :negative:

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

whatis posted:

lmfao

Darn, came here to post that pic (because it owns)

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

I'm sorry our stupid, jerk, cheap, lovely owner is a stupid, jerk, cheap, lovely owner. :( :sigh:

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Jeremy Jacobs is firmly against NHL going to Olympics: '[hissssss] Joy must perisssssh'

Arabian Jesus posted:

Seven years for Zaitsev only works if he becomes a top defender so that the team doesn't have to worry about him being due for a big payday around the time Matthews, Marner and Nylander need to be resigned. I don't know how I feel about this deal and won't have any strong feelings on it anytime soon.

It "works" if he continues to be a mildly above average D for the seven years, but to be honest I think that's actually a worse bet than hoping a top D continues being a top D over an extended stretch. Like, if a top pairing guy starts to flag, you can still have an above average player. In an average player starts to flag... the team is faced with fewer good contingencies.

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/859786786033283073

botterill is the only person thus far to have a return visit to buffalo

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
ha ha ha!

quote:

By season’s end, Ryan Miller was the only Canuck to play more even strength minutes than Sbisa’s 1334. The next closest Canucks skater was Alex Edler at 1258 minutes of even strength ice-time.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

To be fair, a lot of that had to do with the fact that he played the entire season while the rest of the defence missed large stretches. He was 6th on the back end for even strength TOI per game.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I like the guy posting that he's not a Sbisa fan but who do you replace him with?

Uhh....literally anyone else?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Ginette Reno posted:

I like the guy posting that he's not a Sbisa fan but who do you replace him with?

Uhh....literally anyone else?

It's gonna be an issue next season with Tryamkin gone, unless Juolevi or Pedan is ready to play full time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks

grack posted:

It's gonna be an issue next season with Tryamkin gone, unless Juolevi or Pedan is ready to play full time.

Aaron who works in accounting is gonna get signed to play 2nd pairing minutes before the Canucks will call up Subban.

• Locked thread