Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

A Bad Place posted:

i mega-sympathize with the guy who's afraid of painting his psycho zaku though, i'm building mine now and every new page of the manual inspires fresh dread

That's me. Silly question, do you have any pictures of the elbow and knee joints without the tubing on?

It's the one thing I can't find pictures of and it's the only thing I don't really like about the kit.

Probably end up leaving them off but want to get an idea of what it would look like without them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Arcsquad12 posted:

Nothing wrong with doing straight builds. They're just fun to construct.

Yeah! I was just saying that I finally pinpointed what it is I enjoy about them after all these years!

For instance I built the MG Kamen Rider OOO and that thing has a bunch of really subtle moving pieces on it and they're super cool. It's a loving rad kit and I highly recommend it to anybody who likes those karate bugmen.

Xy Hapu
Mar 7, 2004

Puddin posted:

Silly question, do you have any pictures of the elbow and knee joints without the tubing on?

It's essentially a simplified MG Zaku II 2.0 underneath, the joints look the same as that minus the sliding knees and elbows. This build left them off, not sure if they made further modifications to those areas but doesn't look like it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYCPJAGqERA&t=375s

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
I'll probably leave them off the as that looks better.

Also fucken lol that the turntable trying to turn the full kit around.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

I'm planning on picking up an airbrush setup soon, and my first few attempts will be simple recolors. Including Build Strike Rouge.

IronCastKnight
Jul 27, 2013
Airbrushing is one of those things that seems intimidating at first, but once you actually try it's actually really easy and gives way better results for recolors than you could ever get with a brush. Take the second kit I ever airbrushed, a mass production color HG Gundam X:

I think it turned out alright, and I cut so many corners it should have come out looking like a hot dogshit disaster. Basically, what I'm saying is the wise words of Scatman John: If I can do it, you can do it too!

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Kibner posted:

It is fun.

Anyone else build them as a way to relieve stress? Anytime I find myself worrying too much about something, I go and spend an hour or two working on a build. Having to focus on it in order to avoid making mistakes helps me clear my mind and feel better.

That's exactly why I love Gunpla. It's way too easy to have a million things to have to do and to multitask your life. When you're working on a model, you cannot multitask. You cannot read subbed anime, you cannot work, you can have background noise but you are Doing One Thing.

The ability to Do One Thing and only that thing is a rare commodity and a great way to focus.

unpurposed posted:

So when y'all paint your kits, do you prime and then paint the exact same runner color over them if you're not doing a custom scheme? If so, what's the point of it? Not judging, just really interested in how people decide to paint.

I tend to really like kits that follow the original color scheme, but as someone who is scared of painting his kits (I spend hours denubbing, sanding, etc. - I'm scared to ruin it by painting), is there a noticeable difference with a painted kit vs a kit that is just matte/glossy coated over?

I did this with my ReZel and it's as much a feeling of "I painted this" as anything else. Painting does a great job of covering up mistakes and other weirdness, and it's also a great way to have a big amount of progress. Dividing things up into phases: denubbing/sanding, painting, decaling, finishing - is a nice project if you want to undertake it. That's the good thing, that "if" part, because in my recent return to straight seamfilled builds, you appreciate what it takes to make kits look great and the results almost always forgive. Hell, I've got stress marks on one of the GN Archer's big pods. Topcoating forgave most of it. Lesson learned? Absolutely. Still proud of it? Absolutely.

MJP fucked around with this message at 14:46 on May 2, 2017

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

IronCastKnight posted:

Airbrushing is one of those things that seems intimidating at first, but once you actually try it's actually really easy and gives way better results for recolors than you could ever get with a brush. Take the second kit I ever airbrushed, a mass production color HG Gundam X:

I think it turned out alright, and I cut so many corners it should have come out looking like a hot dogshit disaster. Basically, what I'm saying is the wise words of Scatman John: If I can do it, you can do it too!

I'm looking forward to it, mostly just an issue of space to do it and not spending the money I budgeted for it on a hobbywave going out of business sale.

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

I came here to laugh at you.
I finished the upper torso, arms, and head of the frame of my first kit (FM 1/100 Barbatos Lupus). Does anyone else get paranoid that they're going to cut the piece when using the nippers? Also, what do you all do to smooth out bumps from using the nippers?

e:

Beelerzebub fucked around with this message at 23:52 on May 2, 2017

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010
You can sand or use a hobby knife to cut off the left over plastic. If you're feeling saucy you can buy 50 dollar nippers that will minimize the leftover plastic.

It also helps if you cut it in two steps: clip it from the runner leaving a big nub on the piece and then a second clip for the leftover nub.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Beelerzebub posted:

I finished the upper torso, arms, and head of the frame of my first kit (FM 1/100 Barbatos Lupus). Does anyone else get paranoid that they're going to cut the piece when using the nippers? Also, what do you all do to smooth out bumps from using the nippers?

The best way is to do two cuts. Your cut away from the piece and just take it off the sprue. Then you cut the second time with the nippers flush on the part. Just be careful and you should be fine. It come like second nature later on.

As for the bump you sand it down with some sandpaper. I usually go 400 then to 600 grit and work your way up.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
I knew I wanted to get into painting the kits even at the most basic level when I did a simple job of the black part of Zengar's big sword. Just a simple black with matte topcoat made it look so much better than the bare plastic with a little swirl that I knew I'd be a paint man. BUT the great thing about gunpla compared to other model kit hobbies is that stuff looks good completely naked too! You can go as deep as you want! I really recommend giving bare plastic a clear matte topcoat because even that little bit makes a difference in how the kit looks, especially so with anything with a lot of stickers because it normalizes the finish. Or just leave it however you want, its fun and good, I've got a special backlog of stuff that doesn't need painting hell yeah. Gunpla is good.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Yeah I just threw three more HGs onto my already large Hobby wave order with the idea of maybe trying to kitbash. To be frank I'll likely crumble and look into an airbrush setup this month since I know I can afford it.

I want custom kitbash colors and easy paintjobs, drat it.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
When I was painting my Hugo I did all the frame and accent parts by hand and it took a long time of off and on again painting.

When it came to the main parts I just hit it with a Tamiya rattle can and was done in a few hours.

If nothing I can see it would save me a long time and get a more uniform coverage, the only thing holding me back is the space for it.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
The absolute madmen

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Guy Goodbody posted:

The absolute madmen

I always wanted a gunpla built out of jagged edges that falls apart at the slightest breeze. I think the RG Zeta has a new competitor for flimsy fiddly tiny bits.
Still waiting on my RG Gouf and RX-79

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Guy Goodbody posted:

The absolute madmen

Sweet Jesus :stare:.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Which model is it?

E: It's a Unicorn right?

Puddin fucked around with this message at 07:37 on May 3, 2017

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.
I mean, they've made a bunch of MGs at this point, all they have to do is scale that down and not gently caress it up, right?

:negative:

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Read the tag as "excitement embiggen"

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Guy Goodbody posted:

The absolute madmen

The parts density will be so high it collapses into a micro-singularity before exploding into trillions of plamo shrapnel

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I guess this is the reason why the Twilight Axis Tristan and Zaku III Kai suits are so half assed. They need all hands on deck to do the Unicorn RG and the ZZ Ver Ka.

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!

unpurposed posted:

So when y'all paint your kits, do you prime and then paint the exact same runner color over them if you're not doing a custom scheme? If so, what's the point of it? Not judging, just really interested in how people decide to paint.

I tend to really like kits that follow the original color scheme, but as someone who is scared of painting his kits (I spend hours denubbing, sanding, etc. - I'm scared to ruin it by painting), is there a noticeable difference with a painted kit vs a kit that is just matte/glossy coated over?

For me it's about finding a better while trying to stick with the default. Like painting inner frames metallic silver or light gun-metal is better than the default gray. Or for kits like MG Aegis the armor looked like raw salmon, so I gave it a nice mica red. Or I'll mask and paint a part to avoid a sticker.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Guy Goodbody posted:

The absolute madmen

If they have any sense at all, that won't transform.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

TaurusOxford posted:

It's a Real Grade. It will transform.

Sense is for the little people who don't design tiny plastic robots for a living.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Guy Goodbody posted:

The absolute madmen

I was so confused by that until I realized that the suit is facing away from you.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
There's going to be so many versions of that. Waiting for the Banshee with the teal psychoframe here.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

RG Shrapnel Grenade :v:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

TaurusOxford posted:

I'm down for a RG non-Destroy Unicorn, because it looks quite nice when not in Destroy mode.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
RG Unicorn Destroyed Mode

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Guy Goodbody posted:

The absolute madmen

loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

<gasp>

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Well at least it will be an easy build.
Just nip and sand the parts, throw them down in a pile; done!

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Luminaflare posted:

I was so confused by that until I realized that the suit is facing away from you.

I want a Gundam that is piloted in reverse and no one catches on, and the big transformation scene is it just turning 180 degrees and everyone being really shocked

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zodack posted:

I want a Gundam that is piloted in reverse and no one catches on, and the big transformation scene is it just turning 180 degrees and everyone being really shocked

What, you've never heard of Turn A Gundam?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Zodack posted:

Yeah, they've already done that

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

Guy Goodbody posted:

Yeah, they've already done that

Came here to post this. I love the Reborn Gundam so much, it's such a weird design but kinda really works. A shame nobody ever modified it in Build Fighters to fire all its weapons forward or something.

aqu
Aug 1, 2006

But Mooooooooom

Zodack posted:

your dreams have come true

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
They essentially can in gundam mode. All fine fang funnels or whatever. Bizarre hybrid reference to the Guncannon and Nu Gundam.