Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

howe_sam posted:

You'd think I would know this, but ABC isn't in the mix for the Super Bowl because MNF is on ESPN, right?

Correct. It's always been rotating schedule between the over the air networks, and set years in advance just like the Super Bowl location itself. NBC will do this year, then CBS the year after, then Fox, then NBC, and so on until the time when/if the current tv rights change, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?

Crazy Ted posted:

You should see the bitching that occurs when a local network affiliate breaks away from primetime shows to cover severe weather. Holy poo poo it's infuriating.

Back in the day I griped on twitter about one of our pompous weathermen cutting into a season finale of Lost for what amounted to a light shower. I didn't even at him, just made a little casual remark on Twitter. He spotted it and challenged me to a fight. Anyway I felt pretty good about that.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

IMB posted:

Back in the day I griped on twitter about one of our pompous weathermen cutting into a season finale of Lost for what amounted to a light shower. I didn't even at him, just made a little casual remark on Twitter. He spotted it and challenged me to a fight. Anyway I felt pretty good about that.

Didn't know Zach Lowe used to be a weatherman

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

howe_sam posted:

You'd think I would know this, but ABC isn't in the mix for the Super Bowl because MNF is on ESPN, right?

Correct, the Super Bowl is only on the broadcast networks and ABC doesn't broadcast NFL games anymore.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Crazy Ted posted:

But usually the bitching that I see here is more along of the lines of THAT TORNADO WAS A WHOLE THREE loving MILES FROM MY NEIGHBORHOOD IT WASNT EVEN CLOSE HOW DARE YOU PRE-EMPT NCIS

I remember hearing about people bitching that the local affiliate where I lived cut in and it was precisely this. Like, tornado sirens were going off and we were in the loving downstairs bathroom. This can get really confusing since we live on the border of two towns and two counties so we never know which one it's for. It wasn't a bad tornado, I think it was an EF-0, which is enough to take down some branches and maybe a frail tree, but it's still a tornado on the ground.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

And tornados can go from relatively harmless to OH gently caress in a minute.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Seriously, please do not gently caress with tornadoes.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

ESPN is hiring Woj as expected

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I flew to Dallas yesterday and it was the scariest landing of my life. I don't know how the gently caress the plane hit the ground straight.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
Right, I'm listening to Bomani Jones's radio show and they're doing an ad break and loving hell, the advert for Screaming A Smith's show is like double the volume of every other advert I've listened to

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause

DJExile posted:

Seriously, please do not gently caress with tornadoes.

quoting this for when your house blows away with you inside because you were too busy getting mad about a basketball game

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

A TV station in Cincinnati is calling for fans to boycott the Bengals, citing the Joe Mixon draft choice and they basically went scorched earth on them.

They're a local ABC affiliate so they're not showing them anyway, (and you can't help but wonder if this same message would come if they were a CBS or Fox affiliate) but it's pretty rare to see something like this.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

DJExile posted:

A TV station in Cincinnati is calling for fans to boycott the Bengals, citing the Joe Mixon draft choice and they basically went scorched earth on them.

They're a local ABC affiliate so they're not showing them anyway, (and you can't help but wonder if this same message would come if they were a CBS or Fox affiliate) but it's pretty rare to see something like this.

I live in Cincy now.

It's kinda unusual that the Bengals are kinda met with shrugged shoulders versus the Reds, CBB (UK, UL, XU, Dayton, UC) honestly. I'm not meaning that as an insult to Bengals goons who are loyal as gently caress, but it's a different sports culture than where I'm from in Cleveland where the local media will talk about the Browns 12 months out of year.

My acquiescent down here for example when I asked him about whom they drafted really was "meh" about it? While in Cleveland? it's an impassioned November through April conversation.

Cincy is great bttw. I've never felt more at home away from home. :unsmith:.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah Cincinnati is definitely a CBB market before it's an NFL market.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

iospace posted:

And tornados can go from relatively harmless to OH gently caress in a minute.

That's not how tornadoes work

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Metapod posted:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_El_Reno_tornado

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I think he was saying there's no such thing as a safe tornado. That one just happened to go from small and bad to big and really bad very quickly.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Relative is also the key word in my original statement.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

DJExile posted:

Yeah Cincinnati is definitely a CBB market before it's an NFL market.

I lived in Cincy for like 6 years, most recently in like 2012. This was not my experience at all. I feel like people only cared about the Bengals. As a diehard Reds fan (and Bengals hater) it really pissed me off.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Grittybeard posted:

I think he was saying there's no such thing as a safe tornado. That one just happened to go from small and bad to big and really bad very quickly.

This

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Fair enough then. I take tornadoes seriously.

My dad, on the other hand, does not for dumb reasons.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Californians literally laugh at like 95% of earthquakes.

And the 5% we don't laugh at, we can't watch come to tear our town apart. They just... happen. Gimme earthquakes

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

iospace posted:

Fair enough then. I take tornadoes seriously.

My dad, on the other hand, does not for dumb reasons.

Like i said earlier if you live somewhere that has them regularly you get desensitized in a hurry unless one like actually hits your immediate area. Our reaction was always to go outside and see if we could spot them. We didn't actually take cover in the basement unless it looked like it might be heading for us and the sirens were going off.

Spoeank posted:

Californians literally laugh at like 95% of earthquakes.

And the 5% we don't laugh at, we can't watch come to tear our town apart. They just... happen. Gimme earthquakes

The first time I was in one I didn't figure out what was actually happening until it was over and I remembered that California did that sometimes. I thought there was like a truck driving by or something. Most of the ones we've had since I moved here happened at night and I just slept through them. I can only remember one that was even kinda impressive.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause

Metapod posted:

That's actually pretty much exactly how tornadoes work

e: I didn't read enough but still. Tornado Warnings Are Important Sports Are Not. I understood what iospace was trying to say: Tornado causing weather can go from 0-100 in a loving instant, and once tornadoes touch down, they can be incredibly unpredictable.

e2: Anecdotally, there are such things as "safe tornadoes" they're called dust devils, (white) people jump into them for fun

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 12:32 on May 3, 2017

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

oh my

https://twitter.com/PSchrags/status/860476748902920192

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

:getin:

Cutler is actually pretty smart when it comes to football though. And was pretty funny those brief moments people saw him kinda open up about stuff in Chicago.

He could be really good at it.

https://twitter.com/JeffDarlington/status/860484453378011136

Dexo fucked around with this message at 15:17 on May 5, 2017

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Apparently ESPN laid off Sara Walsh while she was on maternity leave

T___A
Jan 18, 2014

Nothing would go right until we had a dictator, and the sooner the better.

sportsgenius86 posted:

Is that even legal?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

T___A posted:

Is that even legal?
In most situations, yes.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
It looks like they let her go on her first day back from maternity leave. Her children had been born three months earlier:

https://twitter.com/Sara_Walsh/status/860158545374871552

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
If she sued then ESPN would have to prove that they didn't lay her off because of her maternity leave, which quite frankly would be pretty easy to prove considering the number of other people who were laid off. Probably not worth it for her.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
"TOUCHDOWN PACKERS! What a throw by Rodgers."

*Cutler takes long cigarette drag* "Whatever"

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Benne posted:

"TOUCHDOWN PACKERS! What a throw by Rodgers."

*Cutler takes long cigarette drag* "Whatever"

Alternately, "yeah, that's okay I guess, but I'd imagine it's easy when you have a functioning loving o-line."

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Thaddius the Large posted:

Alternately, "yeah, that's okay I guess, but I'd imagine it's easy when you have a functioning loving o-line."

That's gonna be the best part. It will be a huge toss and catch and all Cutler is going to do is complement the line's blocking, the running back chipping, and the passing tight end displaying his versatility with a text book execution of stopping a pass rush.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Kibner posted:

That's gonna be the best part. It will be a huge toss and catch and all Cutler is going to do is complement the line's blocking, the running back chipping, and the passing tight end displaying his versatility with a text book execution of stopping a pass rush.

So, the highly essential but even more so under appreciated parts of the game?

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

sportsgenius86 posted:

She was Russillo's neighbor and her husband was his best friend. Poor guy.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Real talk I think Cutler will be good in the booth, maybe even better than Romo. By all accounts he has a deep love and knowledge of the sport, and probably won't devolve into sniffing his own farts like most ex-player analysts do.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I have no doubts that Cutler is knowledgeable. I'm more unsure of his ability to sound remotely upbeat or energetic.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

sportsgenius86 posted:

I have no doubts that Cutler is knowledgeable. I'm more unsure of his ability to sound remotely upbeat or energetic.

A legitimate concern, given that he's only taking this job because no team wanted to sign him. Still, something tells me he's eager to shed his reputation and work extra hard in the booth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

first game he's doing is a bears/titans preseason game, i look forward to his observations on mike glennon's techniques and seeing how many of his former teammates he can recognize