Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I've done one of the three arenas (Desert) and based on that impression alone, barring something extraordinary in the rest of the pack, it's not worth it at the price they're asking for. I'm not especially upset about it probably not being worth it because it's NieR: Automata and what I paid for the full game was a steal.

I'll tag this but there's nothing huge to spoil.
For doing the desert arena, you get A2's outfit (could just be based on who you finish the challenge as), a head item, some nice Facade lore and a butt load of crafting mats and some middling quality chips. Pretty eh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
How long are the arenas? Is it a significant amount of waves or do you rush through it in 5 minutes?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The one I did was a 5 to 10 minute thing, but it was spaced out by character levels so realistically, you are probably supposed to do them as you progress through the game

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

More DLC stuff:

I'm still not sure this is worth the asking price but 2B's arena is by far the best one. It includes a new version of Vague Hope and new enemies.

9S's is unique and fun, but it's not super super great.

A2's is the worst one. It's just bland. The gimmick isn't good either. She got the short end of the stick again :(

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax

Phobophilia posted:

How do I get gud at this game?

Put it on easy and let the game control itself nullifying any need to care about the games biggest glaring weakness - playing it.

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

Kind of a bummer to hear it's not great, but I wasn't really expecting much from silly colosseum DLC. I'm still going to get it because I need something fun to help me level up to Super Secret Superboss level, plus upgrade materials for the last few weapons I have.

If nothing else, I get to play as A2 looking like a huge badass and see if 2B can be more like Kaine.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I finished the DLC (not the bonus boss fights like with the Prezs) and once you do all three arenas there's something cool and imo it makes the entire package worth the purchase cost because it plays greatly to the game's biggest strength.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 13:47 on May 2, 2017

S.D.
Apr 28, 2008
Bittersweet depression?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I finished the DLC (not the bonus boss fights like with the Prezs) and once you do all three arenas there's something cool and imo it makes the entire package worth the purchase cost because it plays greatly to the game's biggest strength.

The one thing you decide not to spoil, huh :T

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I dunno what :T implies, but it's best experienced not knowing what it is or isn't going in first time.

If you gotta know

It's the story of a machine who was made early in the timeline of the Factory who is really bad at everything and it's real good in all the ways NieR's story tends to be.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
:T implies that I'm not gonna buy the DLC till it drops in price because it does not seem worth the money and I wanted to know what the surprise is.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

How much is it?

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
Hell yeah the amazarashi pod. It looks so creepy and so at home in a Taro game

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

Breaking news: Yoko Taro reveals true form on stream, world shocked

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

veni veni veni posted:

How much is it?

About 15 bucks (iirc), 12 pounds, 110 HKD, 1500 yen. Dunno others

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Up on steam now http://store.steampowered.com/app/580600/NieRAutomata__3C3C1D119440927/?snr=1_5_9__205

bit steep and i was hoping for a varied endless mode in their arena for some more substantial combat challenges, but i guess they didn't exactly get to spend much time on this.

also not sure what (or even if) those randomly capitalized description letters (or the faux-hex title) spell out or decode to anything.

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 17:11 on May 2, 2017

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if they make another Nier game and Emil returns, he'll have those bolts on his face.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

I actually really dig the machine arena.

About 15 bucks (iirc), 12 pounds, 110 HKD, 1500 yen. Dunno others

14€ for euro countries.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
Are there achievements in the DLC? I want to see how many people get the Kaine outfit for 2B and then not even bother with the others.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

How high do the level recs go in the challenges? I'm just wondering how high I should grind before actually bothering to put the time and effort into the arenas beyond just the first few rounds

Maxwell Adams posted:

Are there achievements in the DLC? I want to see how many people get the Kaine outfit for 2B and then not even bother with the others.

Nope.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Nina posted:

How high do the level recs go in the challenges? I'm just wondering how high I should grind before actually bothering to put the time and effort into the arenas beyond just the first few rounds

Nope.

The final 2B challenge has level 130 enemies, so 99 is basically mandatory for that

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

The final 2B challenge has level 130 enemies, so 99 is basically mandatory for that

With the old level grinding method removed all I can say is well gently caress. I'm not sure if I have the patience for that

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

CJacobs posted:

:T implies that I'm not gonna buy the DLC till it drops in price because it does not seem worth the money and I wanted to know what the surprise is.

Idr the last time DLC itself went on sale other than a complete GOTY edition v:v:v

Where are the hairsprays and can I use them on everyone?

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
I haven't seen this posted in thread, but someone released a full translation of one of the two novella's from the Automata World Guide Book, The Memory Cage

Really big spoilers for the game. Elaborates on a plot point I thought wasn't properly fleshed out. If the development team had a bit more money or time or whatever, it would've been cool to see some of this stuff after A2 gains 2B's memories. Maybe something like the Devola/Popola story or a short, playable flashback. Oh well.

Does anyone know anything about the other novella from the guide book, Orbital Base Station "Bunker" – Observation Diary? —EDIT: Now translated— And what's the deal with story stuff being in the concert?

Orb Crabmelt fucked around with this message at 15:20 on May 3, 2017

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I don't believe there are any translations of the Bunker book though the site that is on may be the best bet of seeing it.

There's supplemental story stuff in the concert things because Taro is like that, basically.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Is there a way to raise the camera higher while sprinting without it going back down? For whatever reason it just hugs and clips into the ground whenever sprinting and it's kinda frustrating if you want to see where you are going.

Edit: Nevermind I think I fixed it by making the vertical auto adjust down to 0.

I'll just use this post to then say that this game is getting really close to just being a bunch of health-sponge bosses that take way too long to fight.

Ularg fucked around with this message at 22:50 on May 2, 2017

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Can you repeat earlier challenges at will to grind?

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012

Ularg posted:

I'll just use this post to then say that this game is getting really close to just being a bunch of health-sponge bosses that take way too long to fight.

Wait what? If anything the bosses melt way to quick and/or are scripted on a timer rather then pure HP dmg. Unless you're talking about DLC bosses which I have yet to touch any of it, so I cant comment on any super boss that is added there.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Ok how the gently caress do you do Rank 6 of 9S's thing

Holy poo poo it's so long

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Ularg posted:

You're probably underleveled. If an enemy's defense is too high for your current attack stat, your attacks are going to be doing jack poo poo compared to if you get a couple more levels.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Ularg posted:

Way to have the opposite problem that I had towards the end of my playthrough

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Maybe I'm way too early then, because I ran into a tank in the desert that was just a couple levels above me and it took for loving ever to kill.

(I pulled this image of it off google, I'm on my first playthrough and was only level 21-22 when I fought it)

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Lmao that's one of the golden enemies

They are deliberately HP sponges

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

did you remember to hack it?

edit: oh missed your first playthrough note; yeah if something takes as long as that to kill, it's a clue that you shouldn't be trying to kill it right now

Irony.or.Death fucked around with this message at 00:17 on May 3, 2017

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Irony.or.Death posted:

did you remember to hack it?

He said he's still on his first playthrough so he doesn't have that yet

But yeah they're definitely something to save for route B

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Ularg posted:

Maybe I'm way too early then, because I ran into a tank in the desert that was just a couple levels above me and it took for loving ever to kill.

(I pulled this image of it off google, I'm on my first playthrough and was only level 21-22 when I fought it)

Oh god yeah gently caress those things.

XainZero
Feb 16, 2011

Regy Rusty posted:

Ok how the gently caress do you do Rank 6 of 9S's thing

Holy poo poo it's so long

Use the Small Stubby with a Gun. They are much more powerful than their size suggests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Well poo poo. I was all reared up to get the DLC but it really doesn't sound worth it all/ I don't think I could even finish it before doing a ton of grinding I don't want to do since I finished at lvl 50. Bummer. I was imagining some cool horde mode kind of deal.