Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

PierreTheMime posted:

They brought back combat pile-in multiassaults :woop: :cthulhu::hf::orks101:

A few articles ago they mentioned you can only attack what you delare a charge against, so if you milti charge, you'll have to do that before you roll your dice. Everyone can overwatch you as well. Pretty good mechanic overall.

JesusIsTehCool posted:

Seems kind of silly to claim TACTICS if they are still going to keep all the forced movement in the pile in phase. Hope that stuff is gone and you can just move your guys however you want so long as they are still in coherency.

I know what you're getting at, but if you could position your models during combat it would be possible to kite a melee units throughout an entire game.

The Bee posted:

I think that makes sense. Sacrifice mulching a single unit for tying up two or three, and split attacks between them based on how you've divided your unit.

It's an interesting contrast now. Tight gun packets are way easier to be swarmed, but loose gun spreads have less consistent positioning and can be tied up from more angles. Tight melee formations can slip past screens more efficiently, but loose mobs can tie up way more of the enemy.

I'm looking forward to this.

This makes me miss templates even more. Bring pogs to force people to spread out and then charge them because they take up more space. Maybe they'll abstract it somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

For_Great_Justice posted:

An what is good an bad is subjective.

My first instinct was to post dril in response to this because it's pretty clearly wrong

quote:

They seem to have put a ton of effort into shooting then melee feels like an afterthought. 40k has always been a shooting game an it feels like that is how it'll stay which is fine people like that.

the words of someone who never played 3rd edition

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

To be fair 3rd edition was released almost 20 years ago.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

BULBASAUR posted:

A few articles ago they mentioned you can only attack what you delare a charge against, so if you milti charge, you'll have to do that before you roll your dice. Everyone can overwatch you as well. Pretty good mechanic overall.

Hell, if the case is that I can't get attacks on the unit I just locked into combat via pile-in and can instead direct all attacks to crush the main target only to have the others run off and not be able to shoot that's almost better, honestly.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Floppychop posted:

gently caress you, I'm not old YOU'RE OLD

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya
Yeah it is crazy to think I've been playing warhammer for longer than some of the newer players in my group have been alive

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

TheChirurgeon posted:

gently caress you, I'm not old YOU'RE OLD
:corsair:

:smith:

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
The other day I remembered learning 3rd edition on the floor of my brother's bedroom, and sometimes pouring through the rule book on long car trips with my family. Also remember buying my first models, a box of second edition space marines that I found in a shop in Lake Geneva, WI while on one of those said car trips.

One day my brother came home from hanging out with friends with the 3rd edition starter set and a bloody nose. He won the set in a competition this store did where you had to push a giant D20 with your nose around the store and whoever had the best time won the set. He won, got a bloody nose, and decided to build a blood angels army.

Oh, memories.

oh god im old and I thought I left this game behind a decade ago but goddamn it 8th will pull me back in fuckkkkk

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!
I was 8 when it was released so yeah never played it, please don't hold age against what I personally enjoy thank you.

I will retract what I said about good and bad what I should have said what people enjoy vs what others do is subjective.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

For_Great_Justice posted:

I was 8 when it was released so yeah never played it, please don't hold age against what I personally enjoy thank you.

I will retract what I said about good and bad what I should have said what people enjoy vs what others do is subjective.

Solid name/post combo.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Balance is an objective measurement as long as it's what I find fun.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains

Floppychop posted:

No fuckin' way

I'm ready for Orks to be at least playable again. Please don't suck, plastic Ghazghkull

If nothing else, the death of formations and other such bullshit should give them a huge boost

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
I got into 40k aged 13 with the release of Rogue Trader. Got out during 3rd edition and now getting back in to 8th to play with my 11year old son. Weird times

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.
It's been far to long since I had time to pick up a brush but managed to touch up and make some small progress on the canoness tonight. Looking forward to getting her finished and based. I think I am going to re-do the hair.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

Good sister.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
This new tablewar macromat is Ballin

I hope to finish a good amount of genestealer cult models for 8th Edition start

muggins fucked around with this message at 22:14 on May 2, 2017

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains
I feel like there isn't really enough to differentiate 40k and AoS once 8th drops. If they want me to eventually buy into Sigmar then they're gonna need to offer a more divergent experience.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

muggins posted:

This new tablewar macromat is Ballin

I hope to finish a good amount of genestealer cult models for 8th Edition start

The uprising just happened to be on Take Your Daughter to Work Day :3:

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
Lol, I was super inspired by this: http://leskouzes.blogspot.com/2017/02/cult-genestealer-warband-making-of.html?m=1

I am not good enough to sculpt stuff tho

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

I really want to know if they will change the assault rules when disembarking or arriving from reserves (such as summoning and DS)

Also, with the removal of the scatter die, I wonder how deep strike will work.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

OhDearGodNo posted:

I really want to know if they will change the assault rules when disembarking or arriving from reserves (such as summoning and DS)

Also, with the removal of the scatter die, I wonder how deep strike will work.

In AoS you just can't appear within 9 inches of an enemy unit when you get summoned, and that's it. I imagine it'll be the same.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
random charge distance and overwatch seem real dumb together

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

SRM posted:

In AoS you just can't appear within 9 inches of an enemy unit when you get summoned, and that's it. I imagine it'll be the same.

Can you charge/move out of a Deep Strike, or do you need to wait a turn first?

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

SRM posted:

Can they assault when summoned? I always took issue with arriving in deep strike with an assault unit and just sitting there taking it a whole turn before hopefully having enough dudes to move and assault with.

VolatileSky
May 5, 2007
i'm gay thx
I wanted practise working with sheet styrene for other projects, so came up with a project for my space Barbies for things i want but will never actually buy. Much detailing left, but the main structures are all the finally there)

Yay or nay? I kinda really like the missile launcher reliquary look, and will probably incorporate that shape onto the valdor I'm building. Unless everyone thinks it's too doofy and then I'll cave to ham peer pressure.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Munchables posted:

Alright, I'm back again. Here's my current design for my space marine chapter's emblem, as well as the current color scheme I'm thinking of running with:

Late to the party but two-tone helmets are the only way to paint marines.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

muggins posted:

Lol, I was super inspired by this: http://leskouzes.blogspot.com/2017/02/cult-genestealer-warband-making-of.html?m=1

I am not good enough to sculpt stuff tho

This mega rules

Some sick conversions

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
My wife upon hearing there's a new edition coming out; "Oh is Warhammer the thing now?"

I have a history of hyper focusing on one thing at a time.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

My wife upon hearing there's a new edition coming out; "Oh is Warhammer the thing now?"

You and me both brother :cheers: I'm real bad about hopping around rotating between my various hobbies.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Floppychop posted:

My socks are older than your entire civilization.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I wonder if they pointed out mcs with this in mind:

quote:

They lose movement, attacks, and depending on the critter, to hit, to wound, leadership, reduced special rule effectiveness, and so on. And all it takes to ding the statline is usually 2 or 3 wounds, or, one lascannon.

It's not bad in aos where most armies are primarily cc. However in 40k, everyone has a gun, and everyone overwatches, and none of the mc's will take a single CC swing at their starting value, ever. So no matter how they balance out points values, mc's will be (globally) overpriced due to a statline that won't be used after opponents turn 1.

So to answer your question, it's acceptable for AoS mcs, it's the worst possible approach for 40k mcs.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

Probably not. AoS style feels bolted on in regards to mc. It'll probably be the same for vehicles.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

VolatileSky posted:

I wanted practise working with sheet styrene for other projects, so came up with a project for my space Barbies for things i want but will never actually buy. Much detailing left, but the main structures are all the finally there)

Yay or nay? I kinda really like the missile launcher reliquary look, and will probably incorporate that shape onto the valdor I'm building. Unless everyone thinks it's too doofy and then I'll cave to ham peer pressure.

Are these Exorcists? If so, hard "Yay."

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

So in the end the whole thing is still dependent on a random charge range. As cool as everything else sounds I just can't understand why GW thinks it's acceptable for charging to be random when shooting has a fixed range. Imagine how ranged armies would respond if every game was played using night fighting rules.

I mean it's not the end of the world, but it's a major turn off and definitely something that makes me reconsider getting back in.

it's annoying because they have a chance to rebuild the game from the ground up and fix silly things like this but just chose not to

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

muggins posted:

I wonder if they pointed out mcs with this in mind:

I trust in Mike from Nova and the Frontline guys to make sure that nothing major is going to be wrong.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I give you permission to play dolls with your friends, honey

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Look at it this way, at least it's not as bad of an idea as Star Citizen.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Moola posted:

it's annoying because they have a chance to rebuild the game from the ground up and fix silly things like this but just chose not to

yeah, pretty disappointing. Hoping they'll be open to changing it after a year or so. :-\

Eifert Posting posted:

Late to the party but two-tone helmets are the only way to paint marines.

:agreed:

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I love Chain of Command and it has random movement distance, but it works because it's baked into the system. It's not a measure of how far you run, but how far you can run before the next initiative iteration.

But that's an overall function of the game. You don't have fixed movement rates that turn into random ones when it becomes important. I... don't see this ending well, or understand why they went this way. Is pre-measuring allowed under 8th? Is it to throw a wrench into that predictability of " guaranteed charges by turn 2 (or whatever)?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

BULBASAUR posted:

I give you permission to play dolls with your friends, honey

• Locked thread