Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

seiferguy posted:

Question prompt: if you were to quit your job and start your own small business, what would it be? Assume you can make a decent living off of it, and that business itself is (semi) realistic.

I'd love to own a farm that grows some profitable crop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bill Dungsroman
Nov 24, 2006

Artisinal Vape flavors with a generous selection of bespoke vaping....things...pipes. Whatever those idiots use.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

seiferguy posted:

Question prompt: if you were to quit your job and start your own small business, what would it be? Assume you can make a decent living off of it, and that business itself is (semi) realistic.

Either custom water cooled PCs or mentorship for urban youth.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Volkerball posted:

*blows in cartridge and pops it into the nes*

Yep that did it

I've liked working on NES consoles and controllers and Genesis model 1 sets for more or less that reason. The fixes are usually pretty easy and half the time you just need to clean something.

Of course, sometimes that something might be an old spiders nest or a quarter of a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup that somebody somehow got inside their controller.

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

Bill Dungsroman posted:

Artisinal Vape flavors with a generous selection of bespoke vaping....things...pipes. Whatever those idiots use.

the acceptably pedantic term is Robodick

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Sandwich shop. There are so few places that make a good sandwich. I would open a sandwich shop to serve these people. Cash only too.

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

5 RING SHRIMP posted:

Sandwich shop. There are so few places that make a good sandwich. I would open a sandwich shop to serve these people. Cash only too.

I would unironically go to your sandwich shop

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
I have no useful talents and I just want someone to pay me to write about my stupid sports opinions*

*not ESPN

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

A seasonal river tubing operation.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

5 RING SHRIMP posted:

I like a good sandwich shop but lol @ cash only

like who even carries cash any more

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
grown-ups

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
A distillery or brewery in bumfuck Tennessee

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
A fair amount of businesses go cash-only mainly to sidestep the overhead involved in dealing with credit card companies

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Bullshit audiophile equipment company.

Put polished pebbles in a bag and tell people it crystalizes signals when taped to interconnects.

You may think this is a joke, but someone actually did that.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
My own small publishing house, which I might end up doing anyway one day though it'd bankrupt me.

But one devoted to the shittiest fanfiction mankind has ever seen.

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious

seiferguy posted:

Ice cream shop

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I would own a shack on the side of the highway without any signs or markers and all day make hot wings while wearing a giant chefs hat and if anyone stops and asks what I am doing they get to take as many hot wings as they want for free

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Eli Wiggum posted:

A fair amount of businesses go cash-only mainly to sidestep the overhead involved in dealing with credit card companies

it's trivial to pass the costs on to your customers through pricing and it's so easy to use poo poo like Square now that random artists selling their beadwork on the street corner can manage it.

The real reason business conduct business in cash only is to cheat on their taxes.

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Fertilizing threads since 2010
That's sounds like a p funny cartoon

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

The face of the new economy
I would love to own either a barcade or just a hole in the wall corner bar. You know everyone who comes in and just a great place to wash down sorrows or relax after a long day of work.

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

I would run an oldtimey movie theater where tickets are reasonably priced and the popcorn is delicious. Also no movie would ever be shown in 3-D, just glorious 2-D projection.

It would go out of business almost immediately though, but a man can dream.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

MalarkeyToboggan posted:

I would run an oldtimey movie theater where tickets are reasonably priced and the popcorn is delicious. Also no movie would ever be shown in 3-D, just glorious 2-D projection.

It would go out of business almost immediately though, but a man can dream.

Actually there are tons of theatres that do that. The trick is to serve beers and show limited release films.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

The real reason business conduct business in cash only is to cheat on their taxes.

did we not all assume that's what 5 ring was implying

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I would never assume an outspoken fan of the new england patriots might be advocating for engaging in unethical and illegal acts to give oneself an advantage

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

FizFashizzle posted:

did we not all assume that's what 5 ring was implying

Sure but lol because the rate of lost business due to not accepting plastic would likely massively outweigh the savings on taxes. There's a reason every cash-only joint is a seedy filthy piece of poo poo small business that will never grow ever. That "cash only" sign on the register might as well say "our kitchen had 80 health violations the last time we were inspected 9 years ago"

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

im glad for the earnest discussion of a throwaway joke

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
My awesome boss who helped me develope professionally and personally and always walked the line between giving guidance but not being obtrusive is leaving I want to throw myself into the sea.

Nov 6, 2002

Opening up a cash only restaurant is great way to get one of those "enhanced audits" by the IRS.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

oh yeah it's also an invitation to getting robbed

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

me too

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

i'd sell useless garbage to audiophiles for hundreds-to-thousands of dollars

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
I really enjoy Romanian deadlifts..I love how hard they fry your upper back, I want Bob Sanders traps

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

SHOAH NUFF posted:

I really enjoy Romanian deadlifts..I love how hard they fry your upper back, I want Bob Sanders traps

Better than Bob Sanders' knees

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
I'd be an entertainment agent.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

A pizza place where you make your own pie

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Fertilizing threads since 2010

Ernest goes to the small business association

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Ponzi scheme

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Please capitalize and punctuate in this, the Earnest Chat Channel.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Ehud posted:

A pizza place where you make your own pie

Cucumbers?

Nov 6, 2002

We cannot give the people the right to choose any topping they want! Now on this issue there can be no debate!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
There was a fantastic Cuban sandwich shop in Seattle called Paseo that was cash only, lines around the block every day. One day it randomly closed shop, and it turned out the owner owned a bunch of back taxes and faced a lawsuit from previous employees who claimed wrongful termination because of their ethnicity.

It reopened a couple years ago under new management, and accepts card now. But the taste just isn't the same. The new owner seemed to not perfect the sauce recipe, which made the sandwich so good.

• Locked thread