Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Halloween Jack posted:

Can someone explain to me the mindset of someone who is genuinely inspired by Hillary, without being a ghoul who has an obvious financial stake in it? The very thought of it is just so sad.

My super old school democrat grandmother legitimately likes Hillary because she feels a parallel between their lives as my grandmother spent most of her life working through the male dominated national hierarchy of the Presbyterian church. She feels that she and Hillary went through many of the same obstacles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

Can someone explain to me the mindset of someone who is genuinely inspired by Hillary, without being a ghoul who has an obvious financial stake in it? The very thought of it is just so sad.

To continue hijacking this thread because I don't want to work: My sister earnestly believes Hillary was going to save us. She was going to sweep in and implement a good healthcare program, balance the budget, and break the republican party. She was going to use technology to make our lives better, and her extensive experience in politics would get everything done perfectly. My sister lives in DC and, exactly like they say in the podcast, loves rules and loves for everything to be neat and orderly. She's a good person, she just doesn't quite understand that capitalism is the cause of, but not the solution to, many of lifes problems.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

A lot of the Republican criticism of her during Bill's presidency was incredibly sexist. She either was a frigid lesbian using Bill for power, or a despicable accomplice in his rapes.

From a not-so political point of view, her taking all that sexist flak and shrugging it off, is really inspiring to a lot of women who have heard a lot of similar poo poo in their own lives.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Maybe if you have never experienced real hardship in your life, and want to maintain the status quo, but you also have a black friend so you can't vote GOP.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Halloween Jack posted:

She never claimed full responsibility for the loss, blames it on Comey and Sexism. And people are just too dumb to know these things. Like they want to talk poo poo about Trump supporters for being stupid, but they are also very stupid.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Halloween Jack posted:

it's largely people for whom the system still works

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Lol the Harvard Crimson spiked an interview a guy did with Chapo after the show there, he had to publish it on Medium:
https://twitter.com/ConcernedMom69/status/859431758546296832

Lots of good stuff in there specifically about some of the stuff that came up here today, how they view irony as a form of care rather than a rejection of it.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Lol the Harvard Crimson spiked an interview a guy did with Chapo after the show there, he had to publish it on Medium:

Lots of good stuff in there specifically about some of the stuff that came up here today, how they view irony as a form of care rather than a rejection of it.

this is really good, got some thoughtful unironic responses on good topics

e: wish Amber had been present tho

emdash fucked around with this message at 22:50 on May 2, 2017

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

quote:

FB: The show wouldn’t work without Will. He has an ability to create a skeleton for the show that’s loose enough that everyone can do their poo poo in, but it’s also defined enough that it’s not just an hour of pointlessness.

BJ: Will’s poo poo is very loose.

WM: No, that’s Virgil.

God drat, I never get tired of Virgil's diarrhea jokes.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Sandweed posted:

Maybe if you have never experienced real hardship in your life, and want to maintain the status quo, but you also have a black friend so you can't vote GOP.

Maintaining the status quo has become a Democratic position.

Not all the Rs want Full Fascism Now, sure. But plenty of Ds would like poo poo to stay just how it is now, thank you very much!

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Holy poo poo I hope they were completely serious about this

quote:

What about when y’all disagree?

FB: We disagree a lot, actually.
WM: We lost the half of the episode about Rogue One that was the worst thing we’ve ever recorded.
MC: We were arguing about whether Rogue One is about Al-Qaeda, and he disagreed — wrongly — but —
VT: Okay, okay —
WM: Let’s not get into this.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

emdash posted:

this is really good, got some thoughtful unironic responses on good topics

e: wish Amber had been present tho

This is good

Felix posted:

There’s nothing loving cool about only talking about matters of life and death, matters of insane wealth, and warfare, and having this clinical disconnect. You don’t give a poo poo. Not giving a poo poo isn’t cool if that’s all you talk about. If you didn’t give a poo poo you’d be doing something cooler than politics. You’d be jet skiing.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Guy Goodbody posted:

Holy poo poo I hope they were completely serious about this

If there is a real cost to their ironic approach, this is it, so many dreams shattered in pursuit of a punchline.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Matt Christman posted:

mean, the entire Ivy League exists as a perpetuator of privilege, obviously, but also as a perpetuator of the fantasy of meritocracy, which is what justifies the privilege

I want to have Matt's babies

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Halloween Jack posted:

Every single HRC lover I know is a baby boomer woman. They got poo poo on by chauvinistic dickheads, so did Hillary, they tied her success to validation of all the misery they endured.

It really honestly crushed my heart to see her lose - in part because some family members took it like a sledgehammer to the heart.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 23:54 on May 2, 2017

yoober
Nov 21, 2010

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

It really honestly crushed my heart to see her lose - in part because some family members took it like a sledgehammer to the heart.

whats the other part

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Halloween Jack posted:

Some people want some progress, but not TOO MUCH progress! Moving the needle too far towards 'good' makes it so that the next person in office with a D next to their name has to move it further to the left!

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Halloween Jack posted:

Does liberal twitter have a podcast?

With Friends Like These by the PSA would be what you are looking for.

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Bryter posted:

I think the people in that last 0.1% are powerful and wealthy enough to constitute a separate class though. When occupy was in full swing the whole "1%" thing was put under a microscope and there were tons of "well, actually" articles about how there's massive inequality even within that 1% with money (and power) pooled at the top fraction of a percent.

I probably just find it difficult to think about class in American society without mapping the UK's class structure onto it, but I do think there are strong parallels.
This 100%. People making $200k/year either consider themselves "rich" if they're rural or "professional class" if they're urban, but no matter what they're fully aware they hold no place in the oligarchy that wields actual political power in this country, and it's a depressing realization that calling people "1%ers" vastly underestimates the real problem of wealth inequality in America. There needs to be way more solidarity between everyone who has to work to secure their family's survival, because doing so automatically precludes you from the incomprehensible levels of wealth you need in this country to individually enact change.

quote:

mean, the entire Ivy League exists as a perpetuator of privilege, obviously, but also as a perpetuator of the fantasy of meritocracy, which is what justifies the privilege
I wanna hear Matt talk more about this. As a fellow Midwesterner growing up around suburban moms complaining about how their son has a 4.0 and four trophies from debate class and still couldn't get into an Ivy because he wasn't an ethnic, I never found a decent way to divert their resentment away from minorities and towards an aristocracy that lives thousands of miles away and has done an incredibly good job at making themselves invisible to middle America. The best I could ever do was say "It's ok, Yale is full of stupid rich dipshits anyways", but I know their mental picture of those dipshits is falsely conflated with their well-intentioned, ultimately-powerless-though-unhelpfully-smug middle-upper-class liberal in-laws.

This is the reason why genuinely left candidates like Bernie Sanders have a much better chance of winning than the technocrat hegemony assumes they do; simply moving the main goals of the left away from campus culture and technocracy immediately signal to middle America that leftists are different from the oligarchs that have been driving this country into the ground. It's also why, when the Chapo boys use "retarded" as an insult, it makes me uncomfortable but I don't think they should stop; showing they're uninterested in conforming to politically correct norms immediately signals they aren't beholden to censorship by the ruling class (just to be clear, I am woke and realize George Soros isn't ominously censoring the use of "retard", but I am sympathetic to the fact this stuff can feel like a conspiracy to people who are socioeconomically excluded from conversations about preferred pronouns).

Halloween Jack posted:

It's a genuinely sad thought because it seems to largely be women who have faced very real oppression and latched onto a lovely politician as a symbol of women's liberation. Once you fall into this mindset, legitimate criticisms of Hillary are all converted into signals that the critic doesn't care about women's rights, and the bleak economic reality that underpinned this election gets swept away with bullshit statistics about job growth and the stock market.

snucks fucked around with this message at 00:30 on May 3, 2017

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

yoober posted:

whats the other part

because now every racist alt-righter feels empowered (luckily this isn't working out as badly as I thought) and there's been a lot of snap-bad stuff like the Muslim ban and Jeff "hey police, do whatever you want" Sessions in power

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Speaking of Deray's podcast, leftist Black twitter is going to have a field day with this

https://twitter.com/thoneycombs/status/859508370218377216

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
Im Deray

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Hillary is someone who does have an inspiring story when you strip away the self-aggrandizing 'I'm with her' poo poo that happened this election and a lot of America sympathizes with moments like when she literally was told to shut up and bake cookies for america and all.

That's MAYBE the most infuriating part of this. As a former retard hillaryman and all I know 100% that her story and all was a pretty major draw, but instead of using that as a way to humanize her better she chose to focus on 'marketing' it in the most stupid, incepid, downright offensive, ways like 'haha she's like your abuela right??? I'M DOWN WITH THE HISPANICS YOU SEE' and that absolutely hilarious Rosa Parks in the H logo that 100% had her at the 'back' of that metaphorical bus. Like, I 100% agree A factor in the election was the decades long 'Hillary Clinton is an evil ice queen bitch who's totally got Bill by the balls like all women want to do to men' bullshit, not THE factor but sure, that was a hurdle she had to deal with.

The absolute best I saw her try to get over that was that like hour long special of...some news show...that was basically comparing and contrasting her and Trump's stories. It was just a nice clear 'Hillary had to climb her way up a pretty big hill and her first forays into the mainstream were met with just boldfaced 'uh don't you know your place, sweety????' sexism. Just straight up dudes telling her she wasn't being First Lady right by having opinions. Meanwhile Trump got a 'small' loan of a million from his KKK loving father and went on to have life handed to him at every turn despite constantly, constantly, failing and proving himself to be a complete oaf. These are the people in front of you right now.'

That was a really fuckin good thing, and stuff like that does actually inspire people. If she had more of that and less 'I don't want a world where girls are kidnapped and enslaved, I want a world where girls are bold and brave!' robo-bullshit she could have had a near Obama level movement when that gets contrasted with 'local wealthy simpleton thinks we need to nuke china and questions if mexians even feel pain like real humans do to thunderous applause'.

Like, even if you want to be all stupid about this and reduce it down to "SHE WAS THE MOST QUALIFIED PERSON EVER AND IT WAS STOLEN FROM HER FOR SEEMINGLY NO REASON EXCEPT CONSPIRACIES AND PLOTS RATHER THAN PERSONAL FAILING" the response should be "why the gently caress did she choose to show that in the most cold, impersonal, way possible then?"

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

sexpig by night posted:

"why the gently caress did she choose to show that in the most cold, impersonal, way possible then?"

I didn't read this but why are you tone policing her you sexist pig

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

Speaking of Deray's podcast, leftist Black twitter is going to have a field day with this

https://twitter.com/thoneycombs/status/859508370218377216

can't wait to hear their thoughts on DORITOS® Tortilla Chips.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

manyak posted:

Im Deray

Are you excited for Sally of House Yates the Unburnt's testimony?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I like the 1% terminology because it brings inequality back into the "national conversation." But unless you're actually talking about class and the means of production, then 1% comes off just as wealth jealousy. What do I care if some guy is in the top percentile of earners. He worked hard, ill work hard, and maybe I'll get there.

What we mean though is that there is a class of people whose interests are different than those of the rest of us. Not even different, diametrically opposed.

We need to make the case that wealth at the top is "earned" at the expense of everyone else.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-american-airlines-raises-20170427-story.html

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

The real con of the American dream is convincing people at the bottom that if they work really really hard someday they'll make it to the top. The lottery and Vegas exists because of this. And so why put restrictions and punish the rich when you, an ordinary person, could become a millionaire overnight? And so you have the Republicans with "well if we just got rid of the moochers and restrictions prosperity will return!" and the Democrats "We need 5 percent more of the CEOs of billion dollar companies to be minorities" is the same bullshit.

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.
Harvard is a Protector of Free Speech as evidenced by inviting Charles Murray and Martin Shkreli as paid speakers. Harvard is a private organization and is within their right to censor a student calling the university "capitalist" if they want to.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
Vegas is cool

Uranium
Sep 11, 2001

Through constant decay
Uranium creates
the radioactive ray.

Forums Terrorist posted:

listen to discourse collective

It's spelled "The Katie Halper Show"

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

manyak posted:

Vegas is cool

gently caress Off!

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

sexpig by night posted:

Hillary is someone who does have an inspiring story when you strip away the self-aggrandizing 'I'm with her' poo poo that happened this election and a lot of America sympathizes with moments like when she literally was told to shut up and bake cookies for america and all.

That's MAYBE the most infuriating part of this. As a former retard hillaryman and all I know 100% that her story and all was a pretty major draw, but instead of using that as a way to humanize her better she chose to focus on 'marketing' it in the most stupid, incepid, downright offensive, ways like 'haha she's like your abuela right??? I'M DOWN WITH THE HISPANICS YOU SEE' and that absolutely hilarious Rosa Parks in the H logo that 100% had her at the 'back' of that metaphorical bus. Like, I 100% agree A factor in the election was the decades long 'Hillary Clinton is an evil ice queen bitch who's totally got Bill by the balls like all women want to do to men' bullshit, not THE factor but sure, that was a hurdle she had to deal with.

The absolute best I saw her try to get over that was that like hour long special of...some news show...that was basically comparing and contrasting her and Trump's stories. It was just a nice clear 'Hillary had to climb her way up a pretty big hill and her first forays into the mainstream were met with just boldfaced 'uh don't you know your place, sweety????' sexism. Just straight up dudes telling her she wasn't being First Lady right by having opinions. Meanwhile Trump got a 'small' loan of a million from his KKK loving father and went on to have life handed to him at every turn despite constantly, constantly, failing and proving himself to be a complete oaf. These are the people in front of you right now.'

That was a really fuckin good thing, and stuff like that does actually inspire people. If she had more of that and less 'I don't want a world where girls are kidnapped and enslaved, I want a world where girls are bold and brave!' robo-bullshit she could have had a near Obama level movement when that gets contrasted with 'local wealthy simpleton thinks we need to nuke china and questions if mexians even feel pain like real humans do to thunderous applause'.

Like, even if you want to be all stupid about this and reduce it down to "SHE WAS THE MOST QUALIFIED PERSON EVER AND IT WAS STOLEN FROM HER FOR SEEMINGLY NO REASON EXCEPT CONSPIRACIES AND PLOTS RATHER THAN PERSONAL FAILING" the response should be "why the gently caress did she choose to show that in the most cold, impersonal, way possible then?"

this is the black gay hitler argument

if she were capable of being obama-level charismatic, she wouldn't be running because she'd have won in 2008.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

sexpig by night posted:

Are you talking about Frontline's The Choice 2016? That was pretty good.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
The use of retard, autistic, etc makes me a bit uncomfortable too and does sometimes come across as punching down. At the same time, it's their brand (for better or worse), and the transgressiveness of the Dirtbag Left is seen as liberating by some people (and off-putting for others; it does stop me from discussing it with a lot of people for fear they won't appreciate ~doing irony~). I guess it's a matter of whether it's permissible within the "performance space" of the podcast - we know they're sympathetic to those groups despite their language, but an outsider to the podcast clearly might not agree.

Of course, I'm a white cis neurotypical male who listens to (and enjoys) Cum Town, so obviously my opinions on this are from someone who's only really been called gay.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

The Narrator posted:

The use of retard, autistic, etc makes me a bit uncomfortable too and does sometimes come across as punching down. At the same time, it's their brand (for better or worse), and the transgressiveness of the Dirtbag Left is seen as liberating by some people (and off-putting for others; it does stop me from discussing it with a lot of people for fear they won't appreciate ~doing irony~). I guess it's a matter of whether it's permissible within the "performance space" of the podcast - we know they're sympathetic to those groups despite their language, but an outsider to the podcast clearly might not agree.

Of course, I'm a white cis neurotypical male who listens to (and enjoys) Cum Town, so obviously my opinions on this are from someone who's only really been called gay.

liberal hyper-pc culture is annoying because it genuinely takes a lot of time to understand and develop ideas about political ideology and the specific implementation of differing philosophies of socialism into public policies and strategies, but any loving moron on twitter with a brain cell and a half can be the bad word police and fart out a trillion words about why they think people shouldn't say retard.

I think reactions to their language are entirely overblown exactly because it takes 0 brainpower to create the argument of "word bad"

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

theflyingexecutive posted:

liberal hyper-pc culture is annoying because it genuinely takes a lot of time to understand and develop ideas about political ideology and the specific implementation of differing philosophies of socialism into public policies and strategies, but any loving moron on twitter with a brain cell and a half can be the bad word police and fart out a trillion words about why they think people shouldn't say retard.

I think reactions to their language are entirely overblown exactly because it takes 0 brainpower to create the argument of "word bad"

so who told you not to say retard on twitter

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
I don't think autistic people saying "when you make jokes treating autism as a punchline, it makes me uncomfortable" requires much theoretical research to understand

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

sexpig by night posted:

Hilarys story is inspiring, but her politics where the opposite of inspiring. Since she was running against literal Grimace from Macdonaldland her team thought she could surf on not being Tromp and goodwill from Obamas presidency. The alternative would be to expose her neoliberal lovely politics to the people and lol nobody could be inspired by that.

We know now that she could just pull a Trump and boldfaced lied, since nobody who matters would have called her on it later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Didn't Felix emerge from the depths of FYAD? Doesn't that make it our fault as Goons that he makes these jokes?