Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

I don't have enough points to get anything of value from the UBW vendor, but the two copies of Archer's swords that we got from whatever FB event was going on let me craft a 5* version, so I'm rather pleased with that at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003
Wolfgang is a matk based ranged, unlike Momji and Ranco who are both physical. This gives a good alternative if you need to load up on matk for a specific connect boss. He was much stronger when Hemidal was everywhere in pvp, but he is still a good candidate for the connect Bow whose name eludes me atm.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
Welcome back star party... I spent way more than I intend ever telling anyone but I finally got Odin. I also got the new girl, Mia, because she looks like being the hard counter to all those annoying buggers making healer teams in the arena. Along the way I got a reforge knife too which let me 5 star Excalibur X.

There's been so much on lately it feels like overload. Some quiet time without too many events would be nice to 'digest' all this stuff from the last month or so.

That TV unit is a waste of time too I feel. There's no hero quest for it so have fun grinding 100 souls to complete it.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Did a 10-pull, got a dupe 3* weapon and dupes of the only two base 3* charaters that I've already brought to 5*. Christ, the RNG really hates me right now

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
Finally got Luca to round out my Ymir connect team for the very distant future. I do like how upgrading the eligible heroes gives you enough rings to turn them into 5* versions.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

I must have complained enough about my luck because I did a 300 diamond pull out of desperation and got Odin. :woop:

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

Ratzap posted:

That TV unit is a waste of time too I feel. There's no hero quest for it so have fun grinding 100 souls to complete it.

I'm just trying to unlock it so I can make it my player icon and be the coolest guy in anime Valhalla, two souls to go

Also did two star party pulls and didn't get anything good :hellyeah:

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Dial-a-Dog posted:

I'm just trying to unlock it so I can make it my player icon and be the coolest guy in anime Valhalla, two souls to go

Also did two star party pulls and didn't get anything good :hellyeah:

Yeah I did enough of the strikes to unlock it (it seems a lot rarer than the normal ones too or that could be just confirmation bias). That also made enough points to get 3 swords and make a 4 star version but a 2 star caster isn't terrifically exciting.

I used up the last of my stam packs getting more units to purple frames (only 11 still blue) then spent a couple of hours doing mana summons to get through the resultant mana pile. It's a pity hero quests take so drat long to get units up to snuff but given the drop rate in pulls, you'd need literally thousands of dollars spent to get them done quicker.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

U-DO Burger posted:

I must have complained enough about my luck because I did a 300 diamond pull out of desperation and got Odin. :woop:

Uh apparently single pulls are the way to go because I just spent my last 300 diamonds and got Skadi :psyduck:

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
Speaking of getting soul crystals, is there a "penalty" of any sort for quick-ticketing your daily soul farm? I kind of suspect not, but I was still wondering.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Nope, drop rates are unaffected. They're just really bad

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

U-DO Burger posted:

Nope, drop rates are unaffected. They're just really bad

This. Being stuck on 49/50 day after day is excruciating. I'm not looking forward to how long it'll take to get Mia to 5 star. I need her right now to break the prevalent meta of Luca + Balr/Urd turtle teams. You'll have noticed these in guild battles too, with the bonuses they are drat near impossible to kill. But realistically, it'll be 2 or 3 months of daily HQ to get her done.

I wonder if (like us) no-one had been bothering to do guild battles lately what with everything else on and the current event is to get it going again? Instead, today no-one is doing connect battles. I'll have to get my daily done with 10 stam quickies.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

The RNG is just loving with me now. I did 5 10-pulls on the UBW banners and 1 10-pull on Star Party and got nothing but poo poo. I've been doing single pulls on Star Party as quickly as I can by grinding the arena and climbing Valhalla and my results are, IN ORDER:

-Odin
-Skadi
- new 3 star weapon
- another new 3 star weapon
- a 2-star Welver that gave me just enough souls to bring him to 5*
- Luca dupe (YESSSSS)
- Vali dupe

That's 6 out of 7 of my single pulls being 3 stars. Oh, and my free 30-hour pull this morning was a Momiji dupe. what the gently caress you guys

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009
drat, can anyone tell me why in the arena teams with the same or sometimes less power rating as me keep spanking me. I keep getting wrecked over and over I feel perpetually stuck in the 400's in ranking.

My team is Thor, Heim, Gullveig, Freya, Cannon. All lvl 50, all purple, all except gull at five stars.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

power ratings don't account for abilities on gear, status ailments, elemental resistance, and so on. Boost your gear ability ranks, or get better gear. Remember that the item equipped at the top of the gear list gets used first, so put the important abilities in that slot.

I place consistently in 500-700 in the arena and when I get destroyed by people around my power rating it's usually because I either get waylaid by status ailments, or I get stonewalled by a Luca I was unable to kill before Self-Sacrifice triggered.

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
yeah you can have a killer power rating but if your team synergizes like poo poo or you run a team of aesir against aesir killers you're still going to lose. i actually notice my team doing better against higher power levels within a ranking range because they tend to have shittier compositions

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
I'm stuck at 228 at the moment for the same reason but I know why. Like the to guys above said, you need synergy in your team and you need the right gear properly leveled. My team is brute force and gets spanked by smarter well made teams. So why don't I improve mine you are probably thinking - I am, it just takes a long time to get everybody leveled and so on. Some other things you may or may not be aware of for arena:

Purple and max level are good but orbs make the deal. The difference is huge with just one missing set of orbs.
You need purity rings on your female melee and of course prioritise using female melee for this reason.
You want stun, paralyse, darkness, sleep - watch the fights. Teams that shut you down tend to win.
If you have gear problems, go for SPD items. If you get in first you can often win even if you do way less damage.

Once I get the units leveled and ready I'll be trialing two teams:

Saber, Mia, Odin, Urd, Verdandi
Luca, Saber, Mia, Odin, Verdandi

I have the units, I have their special gear. Orbs and getting all the 5 star will take another 2 to 3 months but at least on paper they should make a disgustingly deadly team.

I mean Saber is just obscene even at 4 star. I ran Onslaught yesterday from floor 83 to 104 with the same team: Luca, Saber, Freya, Urd, Nautica. No recovery needed the whole time. Saber steam rolled everything (MVP 100% of the time - she has a star pendant and purity ring. God help me if some bugger charms her but within seconds the first Excalibur! goes off - 18-26k in your face other team.) and Urd kept the lot healed no bother.

Jim, your team in particular is going to suffer from the current common counters. Thor - no ring so he gets charmed a lot. All but cannon are Aesir so damage bonuses all round. Your only CC is Freya which the rings can counter and Cannon is decent DPS but slow to get going. A SPD team, anti-Aesir or common CC team will eat that alive.

Nearly forgot, U-Do, I had some spare diamonds so I threw them into the pintsize thing today. 3 rounds of sweet gently caress all including one 10 pull of no 3 stars. The 4th one dropped Kili in my lap along with Arnaud. Not super units but hey, less to collect and she rounds out my dwarf team.

Ratzap fucked around with this message at 01:03 on May 3, 2017

fullTimeLurker
Nov 10, 2010

Can someone explain to me why Verdanni is rated higher than Wolfgang on the Tier list? Is it purely stats? Because Wolfgang seems to have the better skill. Unless you're running multiple archers or something strange like that.

fullTimeLurker fucked around with this message at 22:30 on May 4, 2017

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

fullTimeLurker posted:

Can someone explain to me why Verdanni is rated higher than Wolfgang on the Tier list? Is it purely stats? Because Wolfgang seems to have the better skill. Unless you're running multiple archers or something strange like that.

The skill she has is superb, Wolfgang shoots kinda randomly based on the highest SPD,ATK,DEF so you don't really know what you're going to hit. Verdandi does light damage to the 3 furthest enemies with a 20% boost to airborne (so Urd, fairy etc). The ATK buff for your back row is pretty superfluous to be honest but you could make a team to use it. Mainly it's because she hits the back row consistently and her weapons also have specials which do 130% light ATK to the furthest 3 enemies again with airborne bonus. The 2 weapons only differ in stats, not the skill so you hit their back row every 2 rounds with the skill bar one as icing on top. Wolfgangs weapons only hit the single highest MATK enemy.

fullTimeLurker
Nov 10, 2010

Ahh Ratzap that makes a lot of sense. I thought Wolfgang attacked all 3 and didn't take into account his weapon skill only attacking one person. That makes everything a lot clearer

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
The maids are back I see but not worth making a huge effort for. The orb packs might make them some cash from people sick of tapping to make them but I'd prefer to see stamina packs again.

I got the new connect soul on my 5th hosting and thought of this for you to hum while farming yours:

Faf the magic dragon lived by the sea / And frolicked in the autumn mist in a land called Gatcha-lee ...

Is there a reason we're not doing guild battles much or should we scout someone out?

fullTimeLurker
Nov 10, 2010

I don't have Fafnir unlocked yet, but I read that he's a terrible tank because his numbered order is so bad, most melee heroes are in front of him. I really don't get why we can't put characters in our own order.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Ratzap posted:

Is there a reason we're not doing guild battles much or should we scout someone out?

We're not doing battles because scouting takes effort and we're lazy.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

U-DO Burger posted:

We're not doing battles because scouting takes effort and we're lazy.

Ok, I'm on a fair number of times over the course of the day so I'll try to remember to look for an easy-ish victim. We seem to be defending ok now though because I've had some defence rewards in the mailbox recently.

fullTimeLurker posted:

I don't have Fafnir unlocked yet, but I read that he's a terrible tank because his numbered order is so bad, most melee heroes are in front of him. I really don't get why we can't put characters in our own order.

The connect bosses are just piss easy to collect so they come under 'why not?' for me. The daily needs connects anyway so I just do the 4 star ones till I get a soul, open the hero quest and forget about it till it grows up. My fafnir team in case someone wondered:

Saber, Liesa, Fei Lang, Rin, Nautica

Loads of light and fire damage, several multi attack units and Nautica blows the orbs up. I'd change it for anything over 4 star mind.

I've nearly finished getting Verdandi and Urd orbed up now but run out of bloody quick tickets again. I wish the HQs would give me more Mia souls, the amount of double tanked healer turtle teams is getting silly - I need that special.

Jehuti
Nov 19, 2010
Yeah after going hard during the FATE event and getting sweet FA during the star party I'm a little burned out, so I haven't been starting guild battles. Anyone with co-jarl don't be afraid to scout and start one though.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Jehuti posted:

Yeah after going hard during the FATE event and getting sweet FA during the star party I'm a little burned out, so I haven't been starting guild battles. Anyone with co-jarl don't be afraid to scout and start one though.

I found a likely target and started a war. It looks like we'll win at least - the crystal is half dead at the moment but grinding their last guard down cost me all my good units. I only got one run at the crystal after a refresh.

With no quick tickets to speak of, I'm watching videos and grinding through orbs without them. Not very fast or exciting but it's getting there and I don't need to pay attention. Long term plan now is to get the dozen or so units I use (or plan on using) fully orbed and use the mana from that to improve gear. I went through and reforged a whole bunch earlier today so I have much less gear but higher quality. My grand arena team is mostly naked now but I'm sure they understand ;)

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
The game updated today, new story missions, level cap raised, swimsuit aesir added. I did a pull on the new summon and got the catgirl and summer time Hel, all very anime

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Dial-a-Dog posted:

The game updated today, new story missions, level cap raised, swimsuit aesir added. I did a pull on the new summon and got the catgirl and summer time Hel, all very anime

Yeah I did the cheap pulls and got both Summer Hel and Skuld. Interesting eventually as water damage units but for now back burner. They will both be rare soul trader units sometime too so no sweat if you miss them now.

They seem to have a habit of raising the level cap any time they add new story. This is the second time now and each time it's 2 extra chapters and 5 additional levels. I finished 23 and into 24 just now. It's hard to gauge the difficulty to be honest because my main team are all pretty good now. I failed a couple on timers, checked resistances and re-did the stages with appropriate damage types. The nice part about the new chapters is they seem to have thought about which orb shards are the worst to get and added them to the new stages. For example I did 40 QTs of Pride shards yesterday and got a total of 3 hits (9 shards). Bring QTs though because you don't want to grind these out the hard way.

There was also a change to the way crits work. Units that are petrified, paralysed or asleep now take the first damage to hit them as and automatic crit (+30%). You'll see this in the arena probably, my Saber got petrified and then just vapourised in one hit (32k hp).

Stam packs are back - hurrah! That'll get my orbing done and some levels too.

fullTimeLurker
Nov 10, 2010

Dial-a-Dog posted:

Are cat girl or either of the summer packs any good?

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

fullTimeLurker posted:

Are cat girl or either of the summer packs any good?

Nah, as far as I can tell they're all "alright" tier, but nobody worth whaling for and even when the summon is gone you can eventually get any of them from the soul stone store (the holiday units are pricey though). The only standout in the summer units seems to be gullveig, who ranks right around the same spot as normal gull, maybe higher because there's no resist item for her freeze

Edit: and gull isn't available yet, I don't think, there's a summer freya coming too that's way worse than normal freya because she loses her CC.

Dial-a-Dog fucked around with this message at 00:43 on May 12, 2017

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
amaterasu is up now, she's supposed to be super good, like odin or young ymir tier. Of course, just like those two, i failed utterly in pulling her, i'll see you all in hell

stratego
May 6, 2007

I went hard at the fate event and didn't get much. Most recent Star party gave me garbage, the latest discount banner gave me one rainbow per pull (dupe Mani and then cat lady).

My Odin had been at 47 souls out of 50 for almost a month now. It's all harming my interest in the game.

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

stratego posted:

I went hard at the fate event and didn't get much. Most recent Star party gave me garbage, the latest discount banner gave me one rainbow per pull (dupe Mani and then cat lady).

My Odin had been at 47 souls out of 50 for almost a month now. It's all harming my interest in the game.

jesus, i've had a rough week or so capping a 5 star, but that's nuts. sucks to be on the wrong side of the RNG i guess

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Dial-a-Dog posted:

amaterasu is up now, she's supposed to be super good, like odin or young ymir tier. Of course, just like those two, i failed utterly in pulling her, i'll see you all in hell

I got her on the 4th pull. I wasn't going to bother what with having so many units to build up already but I read how good she'll end up being and used the diamonds I had left over. Purple framed her and she can join the others in the HQ hell (aka quick ticket bonanza).

stratego posted:

That's harsh. Everyone gets blocks of 'gently caress you, nothing today' that persecute the one unit you really want to get going but that does seem pretty unlucky. I got a bunch of units at the same time and the disparity after a month is quite marked. I think the HQ system is one of the places they could do with making improvements. Like guarantee at least one soul a day if you do all 3 tries - it'd still be a long time for a 3 star base unit but it'd be a hell of a lot less frustration knowing you were getting some progress.

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003
I just applied to somethingSmorboll as SacSquid, it looks like you guys have 2 spaces and I am missing the perks of being in a guild.

It probably goes without saying but those summer connect items are p.sweet, regen fort all and lots of hps for mages.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Fenris13 posted:

It probably goes without saying but those summer connect items are p.sweet, regen fort all and lots of hps for mages.

They're like the half price (500 connects only) and half effect (5% instead of 10%) versions of the helmet and niflung ring. Host the connects yourself if you can afford the stam - more tokens and chances to get Vidofnir. But being connect items they're costly to reforge. But for someone starting out they're ideal.

I got a chance to use Mia in anger for the first time today. She's 3p5 now which is ok but I'm stuck waiting for the hero quests to improve her much more. One of the arena guys above me had a defence team that was set up for turtle (win by timeout). I know I'd lost to him before because he runs luca, thor, baldr, urd, ranco. So I went with luca, saber, mia, urd, verdandi - Mia survived long enough to land curse on his luca twice and his healers killed her for me :) Then Saber waded in and slaughtered the fucker. I can barely wait to get these units maxed out.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
That receive all on the missions screen was sorely needed. All they need now is another tier of orb and exp quests. I did the summer Skuld/Hel pull twice and the first round I felt I got robbed but got summer Skuld on the second.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Marogareh posted:

That receive all on the missions screen was sorely needed. All they need now is another tier of orb and exp quests. I did the summer Skuld/Hel pull twice and the first round I felt I got robbed but got summer Skuld on the second.

The biggest missing feature for me is either a much bigger inventory with a new UI or gear sets saved per unit and fight situation (so for arena, orbs, connect and so on). Gear for arena is not what I want for a connect but it's too much hassle to swap and I just don't have space for everything. If I can have all these units, I should at least be given enough space to give them all something to wear right?

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
Yeah it gets pretty bad when you want to gear like 45+ guys. Also the annoyance of of having to go the the hero screen to unequip something so you can forge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jehuti
Nov 19, 2010
I would kill for an 'unequip all' button.

• Locked thread