Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
So the Switch is just collecting roguelikes now, basically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Just flipped an NES classic for a little over $200. Switch coming soon:getin:

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Echophonic posted:

So the Switch is just collecting roguelikes now, basically.

Yes. All 2 of them!

Scratch-O
Apr 27, 2009

My goodness!

LethalGeek posted:

Can pay for a $300 console and $60 games but $20/Year for online is a bridge too far for the same people who paid $10 for a forum account and probably have things like netflix/hulu/etc.

You're looking at it from the wrong perspective. The majority of Pokemon players are kids who don't have disposable income, much less pay for subscription services, and parents who aren't clued into the video game market will absolutely take the stance of "I already bought you the console and the game, why should I pay a monthly fee on top of that? It's already got two controllers, just go play it with your friends." And do you really want to play Pokemon without someone to wonder trade your breeding rejects to, or Splatoon without dumb beautiful and wonderful Miiverse messages?

acksplode
May 17, 2004

It's 2017, are parents still surprised at subscription charges for online console game services?

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
I dunno man there's plenty of children on Xbox Live/PS+

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
taking a break from MK online. Finally after a ton of games my luck was JUST right that I was about to come in fuckingTHIRD and there was a communication error as I was INCHES from the finish line.

SO MUCH SALT RIGHT NOW.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Feenix posted:

I don't claim to be the best Mario Kart racer ever, but I know how to boost, and I know how to drift, etc...

That said, online is loving frustrating me.

It seems like I'm the only person, ever, who is under 1000 points. And I am under 1000 points, because all that ever happens to me is I get hit with 4 things in a row until I'm in 12th place, and then I get pity-power ups and manage to be 7th or 8th.

It's a fun game, but I have played like 30 online games so far and it's always the same drat story.

Who gives a poo poo about points?

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Kashuno posted:

please no. Is there no god?

netflix/hulu/SA tend to work well though.
When I'm actually paying for it then I'll bitch it doesn't work right. Though I'm surprised Mario Kart maintained it's connetion when I docked the machine, though it did so by staying on the wifi instead of jumping on the wired. I had to disconnect completely before it changed the connection type which frankly I can't blame them for doing it that way.

Scratch-O posted:

You're looking at it from the wrong perspective. The majority of Pokemon players are kids who don't have disposable income, much less pay for subscription services, and parents who aren't clued into the video game market will absolutely take the stance of "I already bought you the console and the game, why should I pay a monthly fee on top of that? It's already got two controllers, just go play it with your friends." And do you really want to play Pokemon without someone to wonder trade your breeding rejects to, or Splatoon without dumb beautiful and wonderful Miiverse messages?
This is our generation dealing with our parents who didn't understand gaming one bit. I would hope the current one is a tad more aware of how this all operates and aren't nearly as stupid as you seem to think they are. Like MS & Sony haven't been doing the online gaming charge forever too.

LethalGeek fucked around with this message at 22:42 on May 2, 2017

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

acksplode posted:

It's 2017, are parents still surprised at subscription charges for online console game services?

Yeah, exactly. My parents would be super confused and tell me to go without. They were adamant that I could pause an online game in the 2000's.

I feel like the parents now are pretty aware of how video games and subs work.

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

i learned it from watching you
Found out during my non-rooftop Switch party last night that I have at least 2 joycons out of 4 with desync issues. I will say Nintendo support was extremely helpful in getting me set up for a repair, hopefully they're as effective in actually fixing/replacing these things.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

LethalGeek posted:

When I'm actually paying for it then I'll bitch it doesn't work right. Though I'm surprised Mario Kart maintained it's connected when I docked the machine, though it did so by staying on the wifi instead of jumping on the wireless. I had to disconnect completely before it changed the connection type which frankly I can't blame them for doing it that way.
This is our generation dealing with our parents who didn't understand gaming one bit. I would hope the current one is a tad more aware of how this all operates and aren't nearly as stupid as you seem to think they are. Like MS & Sony haven't been doing the online gaming charge forever too.

Yeah, I'm not too broken up about it not working perfectly right now however it is supposed to be a beta for their upcoming subscription model and it doesn't inspire confidence to have it have issues people have had with Nintendo consoles connecting to internet for two generations now. The issue is that if I have to pay for an internet service that isn't strong AND an app to actually coordinate with people, it's going to suck.

I hope I'm wrong

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Zaphod42 posted:

Who gives a poo poo about points?

Not me. I just find it interesting that I seem to be the only one in all the groups I am put in CONSTANTLY LOSING THE GAME. :p

It should be clear that my points or rank were not the problem I am having. It's that if you are constantly being hosed in the rear end over and over and over and over... it becomes less fun? I don't have a solution to this, at all. It'd just be nice to come even remotely close to winning every once in a blue moon. :)

Feenix fucked around with this message at 22:45 on May 2, 2017

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Feenix posted:

Not me. I just find it interesting that I seem to be the only one in all the groups I am put in CONSTANTLY LOSING THE GAME. :p

It should be clear that my points or rank were not the problem I am having. It's that if you are constantly being hosed in the rear end over and over and over and over... it becomes less fun? I don't have a solution to this, at all. It'd just be nice to come even remotely close to winning every once in a blue moon. :)

Thing is if there's 12 players, that means on average you're only going to come in first 1 in 12 races. So that feels pretty rare... yeah. Its gonna.

Mario kart is a cruel mistress. You are in 1st the whole race and then you get 2 blueshells and 3 red shells and finish 10th. Meanwhile somebody else starts a race in 1st and maintains a huge lead while you're stuck in 2-5 jockeying back and forth with shells.

Hey man that's just how it is. This ain't no Gran Turismo.

Just gotta chill and take it as it comes. :) Try to cheer other people's successes or other people's losses as much as you cheer your own wins, it'll give you more things to get happy about.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Cut the new age bullshit, man. :p

And yea, I know I can;t win all the time. I don't even want to win most of the time. I just don't want to be the guy constantly in 8th or 9th (or worse place) because the back of the pack is just:

Lightning (1 second) Squid (1 second) Red Shell (1 second) Spun out by another car...

I'm just venting. It feels lovely when that's all that happens in every race you're in.

I'm not hating on the game, or wanting it to be something it's not. I've never thrown a controller... I just verbally vent. :)

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

parents already navigate streaming and digital subscriptions these days, there's no reason to think they'd consider an on-line fee to be a deal breaker.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Feenix posted:

If you feel slighted based on your own perceived skill and get trounced by absolutely everyone else in a match, then you might be unluckily getting lumped in with nothing but Wii U veteran tryhards. There's lots of them out there.

Also, getting stuck in the 3rd - 7th place limbo seems extra lovely now that there are two item slots. Like, you don't want to fall below 3rd place online, ever. You can recover -- I saved a replay the other day where I got hit 4 or 5 times in a row and still came back to take 1st -- but that's pretty reliant on the aforementioned veterans not running perfect lines unhindered.

You can also try what I do when I get hosed by items. I find out which Mii belongs to the guy who won by a landslide and comment on how smug and stupid it looks. Feels good man.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Mom said I can get Online Nintendo if get good grades and reply to her texts once in a while.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

a.lo posted:

Mom said I can get Online Nintendo if get good grades and reply to her texts once in a while.

a good mom

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I've been playing Tumbleseed and the Joycon seems waaaayyyy better for it than the Pro Controller

It's fun but crazy difficult, it's like Nuclear Throne where it's 80% player skill and 20% RNG

Lakbay fucked around with this message at 23:20 on May 2, 2017

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
What do the little X stars things do at the end of races in Mario Kart?

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Nintendo actually finished Mother 3 a decade ago and just thinks it's hilarious to hide it, the entire board goes into hysterical laughing fits whenever it comes up

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
They're gonna release all three Mother games, in English, on a single bargain priced cart, physical release only. They will drastically underestimate demand.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Feenix posted:

Yes. All 2 of them!

There's 3! Isaac, Has-Been Heroes and now Tumbleseed. It just seems like a lot for how early on it is.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Feenix posted:

What do the little X stars things do at the end of races in Mario Kart?

they just indicate how "well" you did in the grand prix. three stars = the full 60 points, two stars = 57 points i think? and one star for slightly less than that.

edit: oh wait i am dumb. you mean pushing the button to 'flag' a race afterwards? it saves it for the Mario Kart TV mode, so it shows up in your saved videos later.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

What does the thing that comes up at the end of individual races do? The thing that's got a counter X/6 next to it? I hit the button once and now it says 1/6 but I don't know what it's referring to?

(i can try to be more vague if that's helpful :v:)

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

iajanus posted:

What does the thing that comes up at the end of individual races do? The thing that's got a counter X/6 next to it? I hit the button once and now it says 1/6 but I don't know what it's referring to?

I also wonder about this.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

iajanus posted:

Replays that you can save.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

went back and edited my post cuz i'm a moron: they save the race for viewing later in Mario Kart TV mode, so you can make an edit reel of your crushing defeats / staggering wins

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

deadwing posted:

There's no reason for VC to not have been talked about yet unless there was some sort of big announcement to go along with it.

this doesn't follow for me
they probably won't have a VC reveal, they'll just put smw on the switch eshop one day and fart out a couple other games every few weeks as usual.

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but trump is president
someday

someday...

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Dr Cheeto posted:

Nintendo actually finished Mother 3 a decade ago and just thinks it's hilarious to hide it, the entire board goes into hysterical laughing fits whenever it comes up

Who's hiding it? It was released. Just not in the NA.

So of course they could release it at any time, they just have to want to.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
The best part of a potential English Mother 3 release is the inevitable fans that claim they hate the official translation. I hope it comes out and they call it Earthbound 2 just so we don't have to call the series Mother anymore.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
So the Switch is still selling like hotcakes? I probably will get one but not until they come out with a thinner and lighter "Switch Lite". I'm kinda hoping they come out with one with a ~5 inch screen, thinner (meaning no stupid cooling fan), and of course lighter with better battery life.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
'Kay

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
See you in three years maybe.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I like the switch size and cooling fan

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

the switch is cool and i am a fan of it

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
My favorite thing about the cooling fan is how it keeps the console from overheating

I guess you could call me a fan haha

Dr Cheeto fucked around with this message at 00:29 on May 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
I would say the switch is cool and good

• Locked thread