Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Those Star Wars reviews were pretty funny and good. None other than noted Prometheus writer and CineD pal Damon Lindelof was heard to remark of the first video in the series:

quote:

"Your life is about to change. This is astounding film making. Watch ALL of it."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 212 days!

Phi230 posted:

You are a joke

Please there are no jokes here on the very serious SA movie talk forum.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Bongo Bill posted:

Hive insects. Bees, ants, wasps, termites. Grumpy ones.
And for in-universe things, the battle droids.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Jewmanji posted:

I'm not sure I understand what the design of the Geonosians is supposed to evoke. Anyone?

Worker bees. They're the lower, blue-collar manufacturing class, directly contrasted with the clean "evolved" Kaminoan greys.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Taintrunner posted:

It's actually about the corporate exploitation of "geekdom" and the consumerist culture that has spawned in mass culture, most specifically the Youtube personalities that get paid to hype up every mass produced reboot and sequel without any critical analysis, and pretend to be excited about getting junk in the mail from blind-box subscription services.

Oh so it's actually about 'nerd blackface' & fake gamer girls.

porfiria posted:

Those Star Wars reviews were pretty funny and good. None other than noted Prometheus writer and CineD pal Damon Lindelof was heard to remark of the first video in the series:

The films are not badly made. The problem is that people get things backwards and say the rape jokes are just a gimmick to liven up the smart&good Star Wars reviews. In truth, the films simply 'found footage' horror about a rapist idiot, using bad criticism as characterization.

The Plinkett character's thesis statement "I don't like things that are different" is inextricably linked to his rape and defilement of women.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

sassassin posted:

Worker bees. They're the lower, blue-collar manufacturing class, directly contrasted with the clean "evolved" Kaminoan greys.

Who are also exploited by the rich, upper class Trade Federation and Banking Clan types, before being genocided by fascists.

Do people still day that Lucas can't criticize the wealthy/capitalism because he is rich and profits very heavily off of his movies?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
remember when RLM did the video about the robot and there was something about political correctness in there and the robot shoots lasers or something i don't remember the rape stuff is bad

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Snooze Cruise posted:

remember when RLM did the video about the robot and there was something about political correctness in there and the robot shoots lasers or something i don't remember the rape stuff is bad

I don't actually, but I do know they've frequently talked about "forced diversity" and such, spending a pretty lengthy amount of time in TFA review complaining about it.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Roth posted:

I don't actually, but I do know they've frequently talked about "forced diversity" and such, spending a pretty lengthy amount of time in TFA review complaining about it.

Well, their opinion is officially entirely irrelevant to me.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Only if you're a blatantly dishonest consumerist liberal who hides behind half-cocked identity politics arguments to avoid the corporatist nightmare that is the popular nerd sphere, full of "Influencers," blind-box subscription services, and countless other hustles of people hawking bullshit for easy money. This post was brought to you by the Halo Legendary Crate, presented to you by LootCrate! For only $12.99 a month you get a random assortment of poo poo we couldn't sell in K-Mart clearance!

But go ahead and be blatantly dishonest even though I didn't say poo poo about "fake nerds."

quote:

The films are not badly made. The problem is that people get things backwards and say the rape jokes are just a gimmick to liven up the smart&good Star Wars reviews. In truth, the films simply 'found footage' horror about a rapist idiot, using bad criticism as characterization.

The films are badly made, this has been stated time and time again to the response of "nuh uh." The problem is people who spend all their time arguing about movies online don't realize that the Plinkett character is making fun of them, and take up an unconsciously defensive posture, afraid that someone else is pointing out the futility and absurdity of wasting hours online arguing about film is little more than an idle pastime to enhance one's enjoyment of film.

quote:

The Plinkett character's thesis statement "I don't like things that are different" is inextricably linked to his rape and defilement of women.

You're leaving out the part from that segment where he says "So if you're not *lists every single auteur film director with an impressive filmography* then don't stray from this structure." He's being blatantly obvious that the rules of film can be bent and broken as need be if the director knows what they're doing and why they're doing it. It's called a "joke," which has it's own rules and structure to be effective, sorry you've never heard of it.

Roth posted:

Yeah, that part was... lame. Bad, even!

Taintrunner fucked around with this message at 01:01 on May 3, 2017

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~

You're making a hell of a leap to avoid thinking that someone you don't like agrees with you that clickbait videos, nerd hype, and Wookiepedia are lame.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Roth posted:

http://redlettermedia.com/gently caress-bot-5000-has-an-important-message/
it had someonthing to do with the daniel tosh thing i remember now

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i used to like red letter media when i was a young influenceable 16 year old, now i am a wise 22 year old

now i read all my movie reviews from the back of the new yorker!

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Snooze Cruise posted:

http://redlettermedia.com/gently caress-bot-5000-has-an-important-message/
it had someonthing to do with the daniel tosh thing i remember now

I can't watch their video at the moment, but I'd be surprised if someone was telling Daniel Tosh that he was being too PC considering his comedy style is purposefully edgy.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Covok posted:

I can't watch their video at the moment, but I'd be surprised if someone was telling Daniel Tosh that he was being too PC considering his comedy style is purposefully edgy.

It came out after the Tosh did the bit in the comedy club where he said wouldn't it be funny if a woman heckler (a heckler who was heckling because he was doing rape jokes) would get rape right now.
The video is defending it in a roundabout way by saying other offensive things are allowed to be funny.

e: the reason why i am bringing up the video is its silly to go into this crazy in depth conversations on why plinkett is a rapist, when its the same sort of busywork they did to defend Tosh saying a woman heckler should get rape.

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 01:18 on May 3, 2017

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

ThePlague-Daemon posted:

You're making a hell of a leap to avoid thinking that someone you don't like agrees with you that clickbait videos, nerd hype, and Wookiepedia are lame.

The problem with those things is not that 'geekdom' is being exploited. Like as if there's an authentic consumerism that's under attack.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Pretty much all you need to know about the prequel debate is that the people who enjoy or appreciate the prequels in this thread have provided wonderfully diverse disquisitions as to what makes them good, what they mean, etc. Whereas, most of the people who hate the prequels just emerge every 5 pages to repeat the same pablum from the RLM reviews almost verbatim, even when pretending that these are inviolable truths about the films that pre-dated RLM. Such as the theory that Lucas is actually just an "ideas man" whose life's work was brought into this world in spite of his terrible instincts and all thanks to his collaborators, and that the prequels revealed him for the hack that he always was. The fanatical erasure of Lucas from the OT is all you need to know about how unserious anti-prequel criticism tends to be.

Needless to say, there are people who dislike the prequels for legitimate and subjective reasons. We just tend not to hear from them as much.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I dislike the prequels because i don't think they have the magic of the original movies and think a lot of the stuff is not good but I appreciate them because they have a ton of good ideas and I am glad the thread open my eyes to some of that stuff, even though I do think most of you are insane.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

The problem with those things is not that 'geekdom' is being exploited. Like as if there's an authentic consumerism that's under attack.

For those of you who may be interested in supporting authentic consumerism, you may do so by purchasing the official Red Letter Media merchandise.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Jewmanji posted:

Pretty much all you need to know about the prequel debate is that the people who enjoy or appreciate the prequels in this thread have provided wonderfully diverse disquisitions as to what makes them good, what they mean, etc. Whereas, most of the people who hate the prequels just emerge every 5 pages to repeat the same pablum from the RLM reviews almost verbatim, even when pretending that these are inviolable truths about the films that pre-dated RLM. Such as the theory that Lucas is actually just an "ideas man" whose life's work was brought into this world in spite of his terrible instincts and all thanks to his collaborators, and that the prequels revealed him for the hack that he always was. The fanatical erasure of Lucas from the OT is all you need to know about how unserious anti-prequel criticism tends to be.

Needless to say, there are people who dislike the prequels for legitimate and subjective reasons. We just tend not to hear from them as much.

I mean, it's not like we don't have legitimate criticisms too. Personally, AotC is rather boring.

The Phantom Menace has charm and is, like ANH, kind of self-contained so you can just watch its on its own and enjoy it as a dopey sci-fi movie and Revenge of the Sith is actually a pretty alright movie, but AotC just feels bland when compared to the other two. Hayden Christien is not a bad actor, but he puts in a mediocre performance and Natalie Portman is kind of weak in that role despite her normally stellar career, leaving Ewen McGregor and Christopher Lee to hold up the movie by themselves. The story isn't paced as well as it could be, as evidence by the factory scene which feels really tagged on. As Sam Witer put it, that scene "felt like a level in a video game." Overall, I wouldn't say its a bad movie, but it commits that sin of being bland, a rather severe one.

Why bring this up after pages of prequel hate? To prove we aren't some fanatics who think the movies are sacrosanct, just that we can tell when some criticism are kind of parroted b.s.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jewmanji posted:

I don't care that people like the Prequels or what have you. This all started because a few people started insisting that the general public somehow thinks they're good movies, when that has never been the case. They never resonated with people beyond the initial releases and nobody took anything away from them. There's never going to be a nostalgia boom for the Prequel Trilogy, because they were vastly inferior and poorly constructed movies. Lucas has always been an ideas man since before the OT - it was the people around him that he has spent so hard erasing from the history books and through dumping bad CGI over the re-releases of the Original Trilogy to try and make them "his" masterpiece. Our cinematic auteur culture put all of the achievement on his shoulders, and when given unlimited budget and resources and all-star actors like Liam Neeson and Ewan McGregor, he made absolute schlock. Sure, people can go through this thread and explain the plot and write in some subtext which would have made for a better movie if it was actually on screen, but they're ultimately forgettable and nobody's making Prequel games or side-stories or whatever because they critically bombed.

The reason those RLM reviews blew up like they did, after lengthy reviews of the Star Trek films, was because they took these movies nobody had thought about in years and years outside of being a massive disappointment or something dumb they liked when they were kids who didn't have the brains to appreciate film on a deeper, more critical level and riffed on them in such a definitive manner that broke down nearly every single element of the films and their production, and how they failed. You may not like that, or disagreed, but they're just as much as "legitimate" as whatever you've written on a message board you pay to post on.

quote:

You have these amazing actors and make them stare blankly into CGI seas of green and blue as they talk at each other in shot-reverse shot format for plot development. The CGI is overabundant and drowns the screen in pointless messes of imagery that adds nothing to the experience. The lightsaber fights are overchoreographed and have no weight to them. For a war that is supposedly raging across the galaxy, you never see the actual effects of it on the setting itself. The characters act like idiots in a pointless manner when they're supposed to be smarter than this, to the effect that this is actually a line of dialogue spoken out loud. I could go on all day, there are plenty of "legitimate" and even objective reasons that one would believe the Prequels are a bad series of films.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Taintrunner posted:

You have these amazing actors and make them stare blankly into CGI seas of green and blue

So, actors are expected to be able to act without seeing the environment, like Princess Leia in her holo-message scene and pretty much any scene where they look on an environment (as that will always be fake).

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~

Yeah, to be fair I wouldn't have described the videos that way. It's been awhile since I watched them, but they didn't seem too different from the criticism of nerd hype I've seen on here. One of the videos is just them hyping themselves up about The Force Awakens, and then ending on this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HaGe8XcMHA&t=399s

Whether or not it's funny is one thing, but it's criticizing nerds for treating the consumerism of anticipating each successive entry as an ends unto themselves. Meanwhile, when the movie finally arrives and it's right in front of them, they have nothing to say.

The other one I remember was just them reading stuff off Wookiepedia because it has a lot of goofy poo poo on it compiled from the decades of EU novels.

ThePlague-Daemon fucked around with this message at 01:43 on May 3, 2017

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Taintrunner posted:

I don't care that people like the Prequels or what have you. This all started because a few people started insisting that the general public somehow thinks they're good movies, when that has never been the case. They never resonated

I'm telling you that lots and lots of people liked the prequels, and always have, the vast majority of whom do not frequent this thread. In fact, in each case, the movies received more positive reviews than negative, made an absolute fortune one after the other, and continue to bring in new fans of all ages. You can reconcile yourself with those inarguable facts however you would like. But it would make this thread much more enjoyable if you would do so in the privacy of your own thoughts.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Covok posted:

So, actors are expected to be able to act without seeing the environment, like Princess Leia in her holo-message scene and pretty much any scene where they look on an environment (as that will always be fake).

So, they've certainly done this in other movies plenty of times with no problem. But that's one scene! This is majority of the films:

In the Original Trilogy there were enough actual sets and props and what not built to fill in the universe and clue the actors into the world their characters inhibit. Or maybe, perhaps... George Lucas is... a bad director?

Look, I like lots of bad movies myself. Twice a year I watch the 1995 Tom Berenger class The Substitute, a bizarre riff on subsitute teacher teaches the inner city kids morales and values stereotype - by making a trained mercenary, Shale, the lead character. By any critical scale, it's a bad movie. However, the absurdity of the premise, the characters, and the world they inhabit make it an absolute riot. The best part is the twist: [spoiler]The loving principal is running drugs through the school![/spoil] I'm not going to sit here and argue it's a "good" movie, with all it's flaws, but I certainly love and adore it.

Jewmanji posted:

I'm telling you that lots and lots of people liked the prequels, and always have, the vast majority of whom do not frequent this thread. In fact, in each case, the movies received more positive reviews than negative, made an absolute fortune one after the other, and continue to bring in new fans of all ages. You can reconcile yourself with those inarguable facts however you would like. But it would make this thread much more enjoyable if you would do so in the privacy of your own thoughts.

At the time, sure. It's "Star Wars." It's bound to make money. People like space fantasy-adventure. Critically, in a forum about discussing film on a critical level, they failed, for countless and specific reasons. They certainly do not "bring in new fans of all ages" and to claim that's an inarguable (and also unprovable!) fact is blatantly dishonest.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Taintrunner posted:

So, they've certainly done this in other movies plenty of times with no problem. But that's one scene! This is majority of the films:

In the Original Trilogy there were enough actual sets and props and what not built to fill in the universe and clue the actors into the world their characters inhibit. Or maybe, perhaps... George Lucas is... a bad director?

Look, I like lots of bad movies myself. Twice a year I watch the 1995 Tom Berenger class The Substitute, a bizarre riff on subsitute teacher teaches the inner city kids morales and values stereotype - by making a trained mercenary, Shale, the lead character. By any critical scale, it's a bad movie. However, the absurdity of the premise, the characters, and the world they inhabit make it an absolute riot. The best part is the twist: [spoiler]The loving principal is running drugs through the school![/spoil] I'm not going to sit here and argue it's a "good" movie, with all it's flaws, but I certainly love and adore it.

You should see the sets of Marvel Films.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Couple of pages back but the argument that 'the boring shots are deliberate and help sell the themes of the movie' only goes so far for me when I'm going to sit and actually watch it.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Covok posted:

You should see the sets of Marvel Films.

Yeah I actually hate those movies. I think they're mostly poor!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Much like the prequels, The Substitute is a pretty good movie.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Taintrunner posted:

Yeah I actually hate those movies. I think they're mostly poor!

Alright then, pick any action move made in the last 10 years. Actually, maybe 20 since fake backgrounds existed before CGI.

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~
I like these bad movies:

edit:
Not blue, but I like this bad movie also:

ThePlague-Daemon fucked around with this message at 01:56 on May 3, 2017

Covok
May 27, 2013

ThePlague-Daemon posted:

I like these bad movies:

God, how could these movies be good? How can these actors act in this blue void!? It's not like theaters often have bullshit drawings for backgrounds!

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I enjoyed the prequels when I was younger because I had no standards. Everything was cool to me then, even Spawn. Now I feel the prequels are poorly made films, but I still find them entertaining in some ways. That's my contribution to prequel talk.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ThePlague-Daemon posted:

I like these bad movies:

I'm not saying they didn't use green/bluescreen in those movies, or in many successful movies. The fact is that the vast majority of the Prequels is blank blue and green walls. In the second and third shots you can clearly see walls or a cockpit or something to help illustrate the location. You're dishonestly framing the criticism to avoid the reality of it, which wouldn't explain why the acting was so stilted and cringeworthy (it's because of the director and the choices they made in making the film, as well as the poorly scripted and now memeworthy dialogue).

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

ThePlague-Daemon posted:

Yeah, to be fair I wouldn't have described the videos that way. It's been awhile since I watched them, but they didn't seem too different from the criticism of nerd hype I've seen on here. One of the videos is just them hyping themselves up about The Force Awakens, and then ending on this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HaGe8XcMHA&t=399s

Whether or not it's funny is one thing, but it's criticizing nerds for treating the consumerism of anticipating each successive entry as an ends unto themselves. Meanwhile, when the movie finally arrives and it's right in front of them, they have nothing to say, .

That would be an accurate criticism, but the premise of The Nerd Crew is that the presenters are fake nerds who pretend to like Star Wars. The point of that video is not that fandom is just a cycle of hype-fuelded desire and its temporary satisfaction with novelty, but that real fans would have something to say. Real fans would, perhaps, make a two-hour video about how Force Awaken's marketing was corrupted by multiculturalism.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 02:01 on May 3, 2017

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Taintrunner posted:

At the time, sure. It's "Star Wars." It's bound to make money. People like space fantasy-adventure. Critically, in a forum about discussing film on a critical level, they failed, for countless and specific reasons. They certainly do not "bring in new fans of all ages" and to claim that's an inarguable (and also unprovable!) fact is blatantly dishonest.

You have yet to list one reason why they failed.
(You have stated that the films contain shot/reverse shot, blue screens, and that Grievous and Darth Vader are two separate characters.)

They have "brought in new fans" and it's pretty easily provable, as first hand accounts from people within this thread can attest.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 02:04 on May 3, 2017

Hansen85
Nov 11, 2009
Somebody should show him the green screen work in non action movies like Zodiac.

I will say though, my least favorite show in ROTJ is the blue screen shot of Han and Lando in front of the Falcon. But that's got nothing do with the acting, I just always thought the painting looked super fake.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

There isn't a single problem with a prequel that isn't also present in an original.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Someone post that video of Carrie Fisher on Letterman talking about how it's not hard to act in front of a green screen so we can euthanize this dumb argument for the Nth time before we get to page 1000.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
But Ian McKellen cried that one time.

• Locked thread