Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

MMF Freeway posted:

I feel confident in saying that bloodborne has by far the toughest start of the series. If there is ever a time to grind for vials its almost certainly gonna be sometime before the third boss.

I must really be an outlier because I found Bloodborne base campaign the easiest of the series, I got Gascoigne and BSB first time and didn't hit a real roadblock until Shadows of Yharnam. DS3 on the other hand, I think I died to Bort like five or six times?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Weirdly enough giascogne gave me trouble but I have never once died to shadows of yarnham, they just felt like three slightly stronger mobs with a few scary but dodgeable attacks

I think re-adapting my habits from DS to a more aggressive style of play was the biggest hurdle, trying to work methodically through central yarnham will get you slaughtered because it's not that kind of game

If you do manage to make it to giascoigne without adapting to the new style of combat, oh boy does he push your poo poo in over and over again until you learn that backing away = bad

The fact that DS3 largely kept this combat style was a little disappointing as DS is supposed to feel different, meatier, almost clunkier but hey 200 hours later, I enjoy it for what it is

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
You will never play Bloodborne in glorious G-Synced 60fps, or be able to cheat yourself a Burial Blade or Rakuyo at the beginning of the game

:smith:

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

multijoe posted:

I got Gascoigne and BSB first time

Ayup that's an outlier. Also I feel like even though cleric beast isn't very hard a new player will likely run into him first and try to slog through the fight with a +0 weapon which is a pain.

Sapozhnik posted:

You will never play Bloodborne in glorious G-Synced 60fps, or be able to cheat yourself a Burial Blade or Rakuyo at the beginning of the game

Never say never. In like ya know a decade or two who knows where ps4 emulation will be

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

if i could somehow swap out the weapon systems in the three souls games with the trick weapon system of bloodborne i would do it in an instant, because having 10 of each kind of weapon is stupid when roughly half at the least are going to be worthless

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

a lot of bb weapons are functionally the same though.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Rubellavator posted:

a lot of bb weapons are functionally the same though.

look at how wrong this post is

(saw cleaver and saw spear are basically the same. that's about it though)

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Tallgeese posted:

The problem with all this handwringing about rare drops is that we're talking about Dark Souls 2, which is far and away best played on PC where no rare drop is ever an issue.

We're talking about a game where it was standard procedure to have someone mule you 99 red orbs.

Still have to kill hundreds of sunken knight guys for their glove on pc.

The point I was trying to say with that one post is no one gives a gently caress about the pitch fork, so I don't really count it as a problem. Who is inconvenienced by the wooden hammer not being on a corpse? Though honestly bizarre that the heavy crossbow exists at all, on one enemy. And yeah that they still do it at all is still lovely. I'm sorry for implying I think otherwise. But the large majority of items can be found or bought. They're getting better about it, and better in the dlc than the main game, which I appreciate.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Sapozhnik posted:

look at how wrong this post is

(saw cleaver and saw spear are basically the same. that's about it though)

and even then they're intentionally made to be similar, just differing in how they handle a bit

not just 'it's literally the same thing with mildly tweaked stats'

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Johnny Joestar posted:

not just 'it's literally the same thing with mildly tweaked stats'

They're not literally the same though; they look different (and often a lot so).

To a lot of us, that's an important part of the enjoyment. Sure it would be nice if they could all also have different moveset and stuff, but eh you take what you can get. v:shobon:v

There's nothing more :geno: to me than games that only have "The Dagger" and "The Sword" and "The Axe".

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

multijoe posted:

Honestly, I think this is a trash mechanic and huge regression on DS1's healing system in itself. As long as you're willing to spend the souls there's effectively no consequence to getting hit any number of times that won't kill you and there's no mechanical reason not to be constantly hooked up on lifegem heals any time you're in battle. Bloodborne's Rally feels like a much more thoughtful take on a similar concept by turning non-flask healing into a risk/reward mechanic that incentivises bold, aggressive play so it's not like the idea is inherently bad, but DS2's implementation is crude as heck compared to the options in all the post-DeS Miyazaki games.

In any case, lifegems aren't really a solution to the issue I raised anyway, which is that there are a ton of bullshit cheap death hazards in the game and there's a good number of enemies who are always going to be a nightmare to approach regardless of healing options.

I think Bloodborne's take is better, but DS2's is not by any means bad. The windup time for Lifegems and the Estus Flask, as well as the HoT nature of both, means that you have to carefully pick a time to heal if you're hoping to use them in battle. This is what I mean by encounter-to-encounter management taking priority: you have to play each fight well and can't simply chug if you're in danger. DS1 and DS3 both see their difficulty curves take a nosedive once you get a sufficiently large number of Estus charges (either via Kindling or Shards), because the fast speed of the Estus flask is balanced around the assumption of you having far more limited charges than what the game gives you. Conversely, even once you've maxed out your Estus charges in DS2, you can't simply chug whenever your health dips, because enemies and bosses frequently have long-reaching attacks meant specifically to punish chugging.

What bullshit cheap death hazards are in the game, and what enemies are a nightmare to approach, in your opinion?

Vermain fucked around with this message at 00:20 on May 3, 2017

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The thing that keeps me from doing a permadeath run of any Dark Souls game is I know I would just fall to my death. I actually died try DS1 permadeath and you know where one run ended? At Moonlight Butterfly. Not because I died to the boss but because I managed to slip off the staircase leading up to the divine ember and fell.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Internet Kraken posted:

The thing that keeps me from doing a permadeath run of any Dark Souls game is I know I would just fall to my death. I actually died try DS1 permadeath and you know where one run ended? At Moonlight Butterfly. Not because I died to the boss but because I managed to slip off the staircase leading up to the divine ember and fell.

The biggest danger in DS2 is getting sloppy on the Rotten if you're farming him to get past Shrine of Winter. The only danger you're in past that point is if you stray off of Amana's main path for some weird reason.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Sapozhnik posted:

A small price to pay for keeping it away from PC players.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Well, I don't know about that. There are plenty of tricky spots in a no-death DS2 run.

Watcher Defender can mince you shockingly quickly if you over-extend even a tiny bit
Giant Lord's opening run is hazardous; the mortars do some serious damage, there's black smoke everywhere, and the Giant Lord himself has an extremely fast downward smash in the runup that can end you (which does not play well with said black smoke)
A Forlorn could ruin your day, especially if you get the one with the scythe
Shrine of Amana, obviously
That loving Manikin ambush when you activate the big castle elevator
Old Iron King can trap you between lava death and slowly advancing laser death
poo poo even the Ruin Sentinels can end a run if you eat a couple of hits and lose your nerve waiting for an opportunity to heal. Yeah they're optional but tbf the poo poo you have to dodge through if you choose not to fight them is no walk in the park either.

There's a couple of annoying occasions like that in DS2 where you have to drop into some lovely mosh pit that you have no way to retreat from until everything in it is dead. That's one design feature I'm glad that we didn't see more of. I guess maybe those rats at the bottom of Settlement count? But cmon, who gets killed by those guys. There's the two Pontiff Beasts too but I think they actually got patched so only one of them will aggro on you at a time.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Your Computer posted:

I do this on nearly every playthrough :negative:

I've never been one for cheevos, but I can't just see a shiny and not pick it up. And what if I want that item I know is past this optional area later? Better pick it up, it only costs me a couple of minutes!

There are some things I skip (the chaos gem past the crabs in the smoldering lake, because sheesh) but I've just gotten so used to the "route" of picking everything up that I do it without thinking about it.

:spergin:

It's ok, my OCD compels me to pick up all the items every time too.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Still have to kill hundreds of sunken knight guys for their glove on pc.

You mean Sanctum Knights? Have someone drop it for you.

As an aside, I love those guys. I abused their enemy effect to keep my Blue Sent aura in human form.

Of course, it led to a rumor that I had infinite poise because that's what they had until I removed that bit. That was a problem.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 01:25 on May 3, 2017

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Tallgeese posted:

You mean Sanctum Knights? Have someone drop it for you.

Ah yes outsourcing the menial chore, the American dream

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Sapozhnik posted:

Well, I don't know about that. There are plenty of tricky spots in a no-death DS2 run.

There's a couple of annoying occasions like that in DS2 where you have to drop into some lovely mosh pit that you have no way to retreat from until everything in it is dead. That's one design feature I'm glad that we didn't see more of. I guess maybe those rats at the bottom of Settlement count? But cmon, who gets killed by those guys. There's the two Pontiff Beasts too but I think they actually got patched so only one of them will aggro on you at a time.

honorary mention goes to the horrible dog pit after the Belfry Gargoyles if you want the Dragon Tooth

even on any other run, they put like a dozen dogs down there along with the invader

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Ds2 seems to have the least sweeping of weapon animations on top of that. But I might be full of poo poo on that one. Tracking is comical garbage, but free aiming a katana is also trash.

I'm trying out powerstance black steel katanas. It's cool. It takes a lot of stamina though. In ds2 my health and stamina always linger much lower than the others. Im like lv 100 with 25 20

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

A small price to pay for keeping it away from PC players.

I think all games should be given jolly cooperation across all platforms. Everyone deserves to play Demons's Souls. Everyone deserves to play Mario. I think this is gaming communism.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

God drat the Demon Prince has a lot of health.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

RBA Starblade posted:

Use a Black Knight weapon.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Node posted:

Use a Black Knight weapon.

My precious baby character hasn't gotten one yet. We've almost got it, though.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

Welcome to the ringed city, rear end in a top hat!

The bosses assume you have 10+ estus and as sure are endurance matches

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Welcome to the ringed city, rear end in a top hat!

The bosses assume you have 10+ estus and as sure are endurance matches

I had 9 and a +6 weapon on my alt, meaning my phantom had 4 for helping out my buddy through it. It took us a while! Pretty satisfying to finally kill though.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
warden twinblades absolutely destroyed both phases of demon prince. Dorhys' Gnawing probably also demolishes him

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Apparently, despite them being mega fire resistant, Lothric's sword does mega damage to the demon prince (for lore reasons I guess )

e

\/\/

yes. i posted at like...4 am

or 7am according to the timestamp??? I don't remember

Quantum of Phallus fucked around with this message at 11:44 on May 3, 2017

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Do you mean Lorian's sword?

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Yeah cause Lorian murdered the Demon Prince with his Greatsword.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
If you wear Lorian's armor, the fight goes straight into phase 2 when you enter the boss chamber.

oh wait wrong game :smith:

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

What's that a reference to?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

What's that a reference to?

If you wear any of Velstadt's stuff, Fume Knight will skip his first phase.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

DS2

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Maybe the demon in pain is always in on mode if you're in lorian cosplay did anyone try it? (I doubt it works)

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle
It's that the sermon lorian beat?

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

KingSlime posted:

I agree, central yarnham is almost too sprawling and overwhelming for an opening area, especially if players haven't had the time to learn about pebbles, parries, viscerals, etc

Maybe adding a short intro area that forces you to pull of a visceral or something like that would have helped ease players into the main game. As-is, I think Central Yarnham has got to be one of the absolute best levels in the series, but it is extremely unfriendly towards brand new players and does not make for a great "first level"

I totally see the prototype for the design philosophy that went into the better levels in DS3, so that's kinda cool.

It has the opening werewolf who is best killed with a visceral using your bare hands else that character is NOT WORTHY.

:v:

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

HaB posted:

It has the opening werewolf who is best killed with a visceral using your bare hands else that character is NOT WORTHY.

I killed the werewolf with my bare hands and then went through most of Central Yharnam wondering when the hell I was going to get a weapon :shobon:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

HaB posted:

I think it says a lot about your character that they're immediately ok with shoving their hand up a wolf butt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

I killed the werewolf with my bare hands and then went through most of Central Yharnam wondering when the hell I was going to get a weapon :shobon:

you just walked past the first lamp post or something?

Augus fucked around with this message at 14:49 on May 3, 2017