Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Having had some irl experience with what happened this update, when I reached this point in the game I was stunned. I could not and still can not remember a game making me feel this emotionally connected to what was going on as at this point I had come to loathe the bastard enought that I would have been perfectly all right with Joker just carving in his loving skull.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Hang around on the 1st floor of the school and Kamoshida will show up, remind you that you're getting expelled and of course, that you're trash.

The best part is that you can constantly imply that something is gonna happen which makes Kamoshida even angrier.

Anyway, since Kamoshida insists trash doesn't belong in Shujin Academy, let's toss him in the toxic waste container and make the world a better place!

It's do or die.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

GoneRampant posted:

For anyone who seriously wants to claim 'this game has a bad localisation,' I'd direct them to this scene. Kamoshida's scumbaggery is just done so masterfully here; he's legitimately detestable, both in and out of character. In fact, he's a little too good- this may be a spoiler, but none of the villains really hit as many highs as Kamoshida.

Most of the folks complaining about the localization do it professionally or quasiprofessionally, from what I can tell.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Aerdan posted:

Most of the folks complaining about the localization do it professionally or quasiprofessionally, from what I can tell.

No, most of the people complaining about it are random people reblogging a few people who are professional translators with comments like "a professional translator thinks the localization is bad!" because they refuse to think for themselves. Given that the entire point of localization is to create a product that reads smoothly to an average person from another culture, this isn't something that it takes specialized knowledge to judge. If anything, professionals are overly sensitive to it because that extra sensitivity helps them do their job.

I say this as a quasiprofessional who hangs out with professionals who think it's fine, more or less. Could certainly have been improved with another editing pass or two, but given the huge volume of text in the game I can understand that they probably didn't have time to do that. The game was already delayed as it is.

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011
I hope Mishima becomes one of our confidants. He seems like a pretty good fit for the Hanged Man arcana, and the designers already went through all the effort to give him different clothes from generic students.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Clarste posted:

I say this as a quasiprofessional who hangs out with professionals who think it's fine, more or less. Could certainly have been improved with another editing pass or two, but given the huge volume of text in the game I can understand that they probably didn't have time to do that. The game was already delayed as it is.

I am a also a quasiprofessional who occasionally hangs out with professionals. I played the entire game in Japanese when it came out last year (and read all the text too!). Is this translation readable? Sure. Is it good? I wouldn't say so. It has good parts -- Ryuji is consistently great, for example, as is - as has been pointed out - most of Kamoshida's dialogue in this update. But taken as a whole the Japanese prose is consistently so much better that it sometimes hurts me to read what they turned it into. You wouldn't know this without comparing both, of course.

Even if we take all the actual translation errors and the lines that were obviously written by a (likely Japanese) non-native English speaker that should have been found in editing (some of them are right there in the first five minutes of the game!), we're left with an average approximation of the original, and average shouldn't be good enough.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Rawkking posted:

I hope Mishima becomes one of our confidants. He seems like a pretty good fit for the Hanged Man arcana, and the designers already went through all the effort to give him different clothes from generic students.

He's just wearing the high necked uniform shirt without the blazer like Shiho was, right?

It's not exactly a separate fashion statement like Ryuji's yellow logo t-shirt underneath his unbuttoned blazer or Ann's hoodie looking thing, or the stuff that separated your party members' uniforms from those of generic students in Personas 3 and 4, but I can see why it makes him easier to pick out of a student crowd.

Enough for a Social Link (I'm sorry, confidant)? Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
I mean there are certainly mistakes and stuff that just doesn't read well at all in there. But I wouldn't call the localization bad by any means. People who say it's outright garbage are being hyperbolic, because Persona 5 has nothing on localisations of older games, which did tend to fall into unreadably bad. It just falls into mediocrity, which is a bit unfortunate.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I my opinion, it's a decent enough translation made better by PHENOMENAL voice direction.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

That's also true, the voice acting does its best to sell even some of the more awkward lines.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

orenronen posted:

I am a also a quasiprofessional who occasionally hangs out with professionals. I played the entire game in Japanese when it came out last year (and read all the text too!). Is this translation readable? Sure. Is it good? I wouldn't say so. It has good parts -- Ryuji is consistently great, for example, as is - as has been pointed out - most of Kamoshida's dialogue in this update. But taken as a whole the Japanese prose is consistently so much better that it sometimes hurts me to read what they turned it into. You wouldn't know this without comparing both, of course.

Even if we take all the actual translation errors and the lines that were obviously written by a (likely Japanese) non-native English speaker that should have been found in editing (some of them are right there in the first five minutes of the game!), we're left with an average approximation of the original, and average shouldn't be good enough.

If you felt like putting effort into it, I'd be really interested in like post-update recaps of where you think the translation falls short.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
I don't hang out with any translators, professional or otherwise, but I have seen a lot of Yakuza 0. The Persona 5 translation is definitely competent, but it's still kind of awkward in places. There's a lot of times where you see a sentence and go "ok that is a technically a legitimate English sentence, but no one would ever actually express themselves that way in this situation".

Yakuza 0 is the opposite, where it's clear that the translators weren't shy about rewriting sentences wholesale to make them more natural sounding. If I hadn't seen the Yakuza translation then I wouldn't have consciously noticed any flaws in P5, but when you compare the two there's a definite contrast.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
I'm a native English speaker, and I was too busy enjoying the hell out of the game to notice or care about any of the stuff people have been complaining about when it comes to the English script.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

orenronen posted:

and the lines that were obviously written by a (likely Japanese) non-native English speaker that should have been found in editing (some of them are right there in the first five minutes of the game!)

I personally took that to be "translation-ese", where you intentionally leave a sentence in an awkwardly literal place so that a future editor knows exactly what they have to work with. If you make major changes to have it flow naturally at too early a step in the process, you risk having the line be "translated" through multiple different people's interpretations and end up losing some of the original nuance. It's not a fundamentally bad process, it just didn't work out all the time.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 03:32 on May 2, 2017

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

frajaq posted:

Uhhh drat this poo poo is getting dark fast huh

Here's P5's mantra. "It always gets darker". And best of all? It's all portrayed VERY maturely.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Dr. Fetus posted:

I mean there are certainly mistakes and stuff that just doesn't read well at all in there. But I wouldn't call the localization bad by any means. People who say it's outright garbage are being hyperbolic, because Persona 5 has nothing on localisations of older games, which did tend to fall into unreadably bad. It just falls into mediocrity, which is a bit unfortunate.

I feel like there are two types of complainants on this; people who complain about things like "how blatantly Japanese" the game is who are probably experiencing it as their first Persona game and would prefer Apollo to have his Hamburgers, and don't realise that's part of the charm for a lot of fans (or they just enjoy making GBS threads on Japanese things for god knows what reason), and the people who nitpick a couple lines of overlooked errors in a game that was delayed a lot, and that would be like the length of Lord of the Rings if you wrote it out. Neither of them are particularly wrong, but both are somewhat missing the point.

W.T. Fits posted:

I'm a native English speaker, and I was too busy enjoying the hell out of the game to notice or care about any of the stuff people have been complaining about when it comes to the English script.

Yeah apparently I just skip over most of it like the trick where you rearrange the letters in the middle of a word and it remains legible as long as the first and last are the same, because I didn't notice anything at all.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Cicadalek posted:

I don't hang out with any translators, professional or otherwise, but I have seen a lot of Yakuza 0. The Persona 5 translation is definitely competent, but it's still kind of awkward in places. There's a lot of times where you see a sentence and go "ok that is a technically a legitimate English sentence, but no one would ever actually express themselves that way in this situation".

Yeah - Yakuza 0 and Nier are two recent examples of what a good translation looks like. It's not that I don't have criticism about either at all (in fact, I do), but the general quality is simply higher than P5's.

And as I said, P5's translation isn't horrendous. It's simply stiff and full of bad phrasing and word choices. It's really easy to ignore because it doesn't stand out as much as "all your base" or whatever, but it doesn't mean we don't deserve a better effort - I think the end product loses something and in this particular case - because the game itself is really good even when not taking the prose into account - it's hard to tell if you haven't been playing the original as well.

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Like a recent example was when Kamoshida says "You desire to be killed that much? Fine." It's a bit stiff, but the voice direction in this game eases it a lot because the menace of the character legitimizes the phrasing. Sometimes the stiffness even works in its favor with characters meandering in a way that for me was believable. I never really at any point was really taken out of it until examples were pointed out to me, but I can at least recognize that it could have used the pass.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Well, the thing about voice acting in particular is that you need to the script to be finalized well before the game is actually shipped, because you need to send that script to the recording studio. I wouldn't be surprised if, later in development, they'd realized the problem with some of the lines but couldn't afford to do anything about it with the lines already recorded.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 05:48 on May 2, 2017

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
I had noticed some of the oddly stilted phrasing, yeah. Seemed weird but not weird enough to comment. That said, it does seem a little sad given P4's localization read as naturally and fluidly as something that contained that many instances of the word 'senpai' could read.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

vdate posted:

given P4's localization read as naturally and fluidly as something that contained that many instances of the word 'senpai' could read.
:golfclap:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
My two cents is that some of the most awkward lines are front-loaded("It means they’re holding nothing back and are serious to kill us!" is probably the worst it gets), and the translation gets smoother as you get further along in the game(with some standout parts I'll hopefully remember to point out when we get there). Unfortunately that also means a lot of first impressions came from those awkward translation moments. The translation argument probably wouldn't be a thing in the first place if the intro's localization was rock-solid, even if there was some weirdness later in the game.

Or maybe I just got used to it and stopped noticing the occasional odd phrasing. :shrug:

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Kemix posted:

Here's P5's mantra. "It always gets darker". And best of all? It's all portrayed VERY maturely.

I am now worried for my goofy, sleepy cat friend.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Kemix posted:

these are both entirely false statements

mojitomojitoman
Apr 27, 2017

Hunt11 posted:

This intro is very good at doing one thing. Making you want to strap Kamoshida to the back of a car and drive until there is nothing left of the bastard.

There are definitely worse issues for a game to have then the intro is just too good.

Danganronpa had the same "issue" for me. The first case does a wonderful job of getting you invested and seeing what you're up against and no other case in the game managed to top it IMO.

GhostStalker posted:

He's just wearing the high necked uniform shirt without the blazer like Shiho was, right?

It's not exactly a separate fashion statement like Ryuji's yellow logo t-shirt underneath his unbuttoned blazer or Ann's hoodie looking thing, or the stuff that separated your party members' uniforms from those of generic students in Personas 3 and 4, but I can see why it makes him easier to pick out of a student crowd.

Enough for a Social Link (I'm sorry, confidant)? Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised.

I feel like a lot of social link/confidants get more distinguishable appearances if not in their outfit choice than in the fact that they have a face. I remember multiple students being sl's and the teacher "Maya" from Persona 3. Given how much focus the teacher for the class in Persona 5 (Ms. Kawakami?) and the bruised up student get it's a safe bet that either or both will become Confidants in the future.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I didn't notice any of the awkwardness that people are referring to in the translation. I'm sure it's there, but I followed this game's development for two years. When I start playing I think my brain just sort of drifts past them on a tide of endorphins. (I'm on May 9th, for what it's worth.)

One thing that helps, something that doesn't necessarily come through in screenshots, is just how smoothly the game plays. Once you have a full party and few more tricks in your bag, infiltrating a palace is a joy in its own right. Explore-stealth-ambush-battle-weakness-victory-explore... You just flow from one step to another. I loved Persona 3 & 4 too, but at least when it comes to the dungeons themselves Persona 5 is the best by far.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.
Special shoutout in that scene goes to the kids who, discovering that one of their classmates tried to commit suicide, decided to pull out their phones and take pictures. It's the little things that really make you dislike the faceless NPCs that populate this world.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Blastinus posted:

Special shoutout in that scene goes to the kids who, discovering that one of their classmates tried to commit suicide, decided to pull out their phones and take pictures. It's the little things that really make you dislike the faceless NPCs that populate this world.

Sadly that is all too realistic.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Blastinus posted:

It's also possible that they could be sending that information to friends and/or family in different schools.

Anyway, wow is this game more immediately interesting than 3 and 4. Without even making the dungeon the part that you're most excited about.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Blastinus posted:

the world today just nuts

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
I mean poo poo worldstar would probably pay a pretty penny for that footage

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Rangpur posted:

the world today just nuts

TMZ and Periscope and World Star

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Blastinus posted:

I am frankly shocked nobody took a selfie.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
I will say I am surprised that Arist did not pick the 'gently caress yes let's do this' options with Ryuji after talking with Ann. Kamoshida was skeevy enough beforehand; I can't help but feel that that little revelation should have been enough to tip Joker over the edge. I suppose he's already been burned on the 'good deed' front?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I'm starting to think Kamoshida isn't all that nice

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

vdate posted:

I will say I am surprised that Arist did not pick the 'gently caress yes let's do this' options with Ryuji after talking with Ann. Kamoshida was skeevy enough beforehand; I can't help but feel that that little revelation should have been enough to tip Joker over the edge. I suppose he's already been burned on the 'good deed' front?

Alls I know is, I certainly couldn't hit the "He deserves it" button hard enough after the powwow with Ann ( would have used a jackhammer if any harder). But I suppose I can see where Arist is going here; killing somebody (or potentially turning them into a vegetable forever) might weigh on his conscience, especially if his new label by society as a neer-do-well might drive him to never, ever do a bad deed again out of spite.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

Really Pants posted:

Just a titch. Irrespective, at this point he presents enough of a threat to our heroes that hollowing him out is less 'a risk we have to take' and more 'heads we win, tails he loses'.

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

Really Pants posted:

*Norm MacDonald voice* Y'know, the more I learn about that Kamoshida guy, the more I don't care for him.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Really Pants posted:

He does seem to be a bit of a naughty boy, yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
He seems an unpleasant fellow.