Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

That would be an accurate criticism, but the premise of The Nerd Crew is that the presenters are fake nerds who pretend to like Star Wars. The point of that video is not that fandom is just a cycle of hype-fuelded desire and its temporary satisfaction with novelty

No that's it. You can stop there. That's the entire joke! You've got it! You can stop there!

Bongo Bill posted:

There isn't a single problem with a prequel that isn't also present in an original.

Schwarzwald posted:

You have yet to list one reason why they failed.

They have "brought in new fans" and it's pretty easily provable, as first hand accounts from people within this thread can attest.

I have named numerous reasons throughout this thread why they failed to be good films on a technical and critical level. You may disagree with them, all you like. People were excited for a new Star Wars, and after the initial excitement, they eventually faded. It's a testament to the popularly of the RLM reviews and their autopsy on the trilogy that people enjoy watching those more than the actual Prequels.

No they haven't! You're lying to yourselves! This is purely anecdotal if anything! Nobody is making new lines of Prequel Trilogy toys or books or whatever because nobody loving likes these movies! Hayden showed up at Star Wars Celebration this year and mostly posed with people holding large containers of sand! These movies will be largely forgotten! People like old Star Wars, with Luke and Han and Vader and competent filmmaking and plot that unfolds in a manner which isn't people talking at each other over blank CGI backgrounds, which is the vast majority of the movie! You can still like them! Most people do not, and for good reasons!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Taintrunner posted:

The fact is that the vast majority of the Prequels is blank blue and green walls.

False. Those are behind-the-scenes images. The actual movies feature no visible blue-screens or green-screens.

Taintrunner posted:

No that's it. You can stop there. That's the entire joke! You've got it! You can stop there!

Stopping there would be inaccurate - and deceptive.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 02:15 on May 3, 2017

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Taintrunner posted:

The fact is that the vast majority of the Prequels is blank blue and green walls

[citation needed]

Theres a large amount of practical sets in the prequels

a lot of minatures as well

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

X-Wing fuel can't melt blue screens.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Prequel likers have poo poo taste in film, are dumb (or sick) guys. Bad. Sad.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Taintrunner posted:

I have named numerous reasons throughout this thread why they failed to be good films on a technical and critical level. You may disagree with them, all you like.

I think that there's been some good discussion of the things you disliked about the prequels, but you tended to abandon the point after the first attempt at a rebuttal. Other times you've called things bad (or, sometimes, "lame") without really elaborating on what makes it bad or why it's a bad thing to be the way you described it.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Phi230 posted:

When the prequels brought in new fans, they weren't bringing in their best. Kids, women, minorities! They crossed the border into fandom and ruined our way of lives! Build the Death Star. :sad:

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
I'm sittin' here lmaoing at anyone who complains about the cgi in the prequels and doesn't hate the speeder chase in rotj with the same passion

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Taintrunner posted:

No they haven't! You're lying to yourselves! This is purely anecdotal if anything! Nobody is making new lines of Prequel Trilogy toys or books or whatever because nobody loving likes these movies! Hayden showed up at Star Wars Celebration this year and mostly posed with people holding large containers of sand! These movies will be largely forgotten! People like old Star Wars, with Luke and Han and Vader and competent filmmaking and plot that unfolds in a manner which isn't people talking at each other over blank CGI backgrounds, which is the vast majority of the movie! You can still like them! Most people do not, and for good reasons!

People in this thread are not inventing stories about their kids/cousins/whatever liking the movies.
People in this thread are not lying about themselves liking the movies.

New lines of "Prequel Trilogy toys or books or whatever" are factually being created.

Hasbro has recently produced a new Jango Fett figure
As well as an Obi-wan and Commander Cody 2-pack with a frankly bizarre looking toy gun.
There's also a Anakin and Yoda 2-pack, with the same toy gun.

There's also a new video game where you can fight in battles from the prequel movies: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars_Battlefront_II_(2017_video_game)

This is what I found in about five minutes of googling.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Covok posted:

Alright then, pick any action move made in the last 10 years. Actually, maybe 20 since fake backgrounds existed before CGI.

The Raid :smug:

Even then, though, they're pretending to kill each other with fake machetes, frequently completed with CGI, same for the blood. Maybe that's the right kind of fake, and thus Taintrunner can accept it into the sacred texts of good film making.

Mad Dog is actually that tiny though. That wasn't CGI. I thought it was like Ant-Man.

Phi230 posted:

Are you having a stroke?

Taintrunner posted:

This all started because a few people started insisting that the general public somehow thinks they're good movies, when that has never been the case.

It started with a discussion about prequel hate dying down, which it absolutely has.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Taintrunner posted:

No they haven't! You're lying to yourselves! This is purely anecdotal if anything! Nobody is making new lines of Prequel Trilogy toys or books or whatever because nobody loving likes these movies!

Actually, the most probable reason no new prequel lines are being made is because TFA characters and toys are being sold at the moment. While the prequels where airing and while the Clone Wars cartoon was airing, every toy prop, every Halloween costume, every lego set focused on them.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Also the Clone Wars show continued until 2012, then Netflix produced another season as recently as 2014. Obviously there was enough interest in prequel stories to keep the show going 7+ years after the movies came out.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Phi230 posted:

Star Wars is awesome because it also acts as a gateway drug for all the classic films and film makers that inspired them. I don't think I would have gotten into Akira Kurosawa if it wasn't for Star Wars.

But you're right about one thing, I have had a cold for the past couple days.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

El Burbo posted:

Actually, the most probable reason no new prequel lines are being made is because TFA characters and toys are being sold at the moment. While the prequels where airing and while the Clone Wars cartoon was airing, every toy prop, every Halloween costume, every lego set focused on them.

This is purely anecdotal, but there's still heaps of Darth Maul merch everywhere.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Bongo Bill posted:

There isn't a single problem with a prequel that isn't also present in an original.

child actors

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

Jewmanji posted:

Someone post that video of Carrie Fisher on Letterman talking about how it's not hard to act in front of a green screen so we can euthanize this dumb argument for the Nth time before we get to page 1000.

It's a good interview, Carrie was cool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuXw3e1Hll8#t=131s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuXw3e1Hll8#t=232s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuXw3e1Hll8#t=445s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuXw3e1Hll8#t=530s

Definitive proof that the prequels are good in less than 20 seconds:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKKwjUhM1AE

Prolonged Panorama fucked around with this message at 02:31 on May 3, 2017

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Taintrunner posted:

Dude, there was a 5 season television show about it that got high as gently caress ratings made almost 8 years after the movies aired...one of the last books before the Legend/Canon split was Kenobi and told a story from the PT...there are tons of toys being made...one of the selling points of BF 2 is being about to play in the Prequel trilogy...

Covok
May 27, 2013

The loving Darth Maul comic they literally just announced a month or two ago

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~

Taintrunner posted:

I'm not saying they didn't use green/bluescreen in those movies, or in many successful movies. The fact is that the vast majority of the Prequels is blank blue and green walls. In the second and third shots you can clearly see walls or a cockpit or something to help illustrate the location. You're dishonestly framing the criticism to avoid the reality of it, which wouldn't explain why the acting was so stilted and cringeworthy (it's because of the director and the choices they made in making the film, as well as the poorly scripted and now memeworthy dialogue).

I considered that, but photos I've seen from the sets of the prequels usually had some sort of context to them. These two in particular are the same idea:

But even with certain contexts, the actors in the original movie still worked without very important context. They were all sitting in the Millennium Falcon cockpit set when they're approaching the Death Star, but Alec Guinness still did a good read on the "that's no moon" line.

I think the idea with the prequels is the stuffy upper class talk and act a certain way, and they're who you see the most. Young Anakin doesn't talk that way, and neither does his mother. I don't remember Padme's acting being stilted when she's not being the queen, and I wouldn't say the aliens not connected to the senate like Watto or the gungans talk in a stilted way. Padme's thing kinda ties back to original, where Leia drops her formal speech patterns and mannerisms when she isn't talking to Tarkin or Vader.

As a whole, it doesn't really work for me, personally, and I'm not a big fan of the prequels, but I don't think the CG sets are to blame. I've seen plenty of CGI-filled movies after that these criticisms don't apply to. It just feels like a convenient scapegoat because it's something that's perceived as something different between the two trilogies, and new in modern filmmaking when a lot of the same explanations for why it supposedly negatively affects newer movies should apply to a lot of older effects and movies, too.

ThePlague-Daemon fucked around with this message at 02:35 on May 3, 2017

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Snowman_McK posted:

This is purely anecdotal, but there's still heaps of Darth Maul merch everywhere.

Makes sense, he was a major character in the Clone Wars cartoon and in the current Rebels cartoon

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

I just don't get the "actors can't act when there's nothing there" thing. Like, you know when the camera is zoomed in on their faces in literally every movie ever, the person they were playing off/the item that triggered the reaction/the scary monster/whatever isn't wearing the camera like a GoPro, right? That, by virtue of their training and skill as professional fakers, they make you think that they are reacting to a thing?

I have no doubt that it's harder for some when there's less there. I have no doubt that poor Ian McKellen would rather act against people. These people are highly-paid professional pretenders, though, and they can look happy or sad or bored or turned on even when they aren't feeling that.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
gently caress, Sin City came out the same year as ROTS, and showed that you can absolutely get good performances out of good actors on blue/green screen. poo poo, you can even get good performances out of Devon Aoki.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

child actors

I don't think that child actors are a problem.

Covok
May 27, 2013

If Darth Maul from Rebels fought Darth Maul from the PM, who would win?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Snowman_McK posted:

Darth Maul is still one of the best character designs in the franchise so that really does make a lot of sense.

E: ^Trick question, they both learn to meet halfway on things thanks to Kenobi

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Thanks to my hoarding nature I have some of-the-time stuff

Guess what movie came out 2005.

Well Goblet of Fire but also

But I guess since the marketing machine is focusing on something else right now that proves no one cares

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Nobody is dressing up as prequel characters

The movies you fanatically defend are all but forgotten. Even turned into jokes.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Phi230 posted:

The movies you fanatically defend are all but forgotten. Even turned into jokes.

You don't go to conventions do you?

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Phi230 posted:

What's the threshold for minimum number of cosplayers before we can consider a film worthy of discussion?

Hansen85
Nov 11, 2009
I bet you were personally offended when the entire Celebration hall cheered for Hayden Christensen last month.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Phi230 posted:

No one is doing anything fanatically here except you.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
There's a cool moment in the commentary track for TPM, during the scene where Qui-Gon is disemboweling the blast doors of the Trade Federation ship, where Lucas said he wanted to Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon to evoke a kind of unstoppable force in that moment, akin to Godzilla. Lucas' depiction of the Jedi in the prequels is so wonderfully disorienting.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Snowman_McK posted:

Even then, though, they're pretending to kill each other with fake machetes, frequently completed with CGI, same for the blood. Maybe that's the right kind of fake, and thus Taintrunner can accept it into the sacred texts of good film making.

It's a basic argument for immersion. Tantrunner wants to imagine himself being on the set and, like, touching all the props. Smelling the props.

The anti-greenscreen argument is convoluted because people are not actually saying what they mean. Tantrunner will insist that green screens prevent the actors from acting, but what he actually means is the opposite: that green-screens force the actors to act. The argument is that Mark Hamill wasn't acting - that he was simply talking to Yoda, who was really there, and that it is impossible for any actor to replicate that experience.

And again, this is doubly deceptive because Tamtrunner is not actually referring to Mark Hamill's acting. He is referring to himself, and his ability to imagine himself on that set alongside Hamill - immersed in the animatronic funhouse experience.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Phi230 posted:

There are a lot of Padme cosplayers. and I see a lot of Clone Wars era Obi Wan too

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

E: Well that's weird, the Awful app erased this post.

Lord Hydronium fucked around with this message at 03:42 on May 3, 2017

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

My favorite part of the prequels is C3PO and R2 being at Darth Vaders wedding. Remember that? Doesn't that make the OT better? Knowing C3PO was the best man at Darth Vaders wedding?

Just awful awful stuff

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

It's not the green screens. It's the director working with the actors. The PT is not a well-directed trilogy, even the scenes on real sets have issues.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Yaws posted:

My favorite part of the prequels is C3PO and R2 being at Darth Vaders wedding. Remember that? Doesn't that make the OT better? Knowing C3PO was the best man at Darth Vaders wedding?
The fact that R2 is the only one who knows the entire story of the saga, and is the one least able to communicate it, is one of the best jokes of the saga. Even TFA continued it!

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Lord Hydronium posted:

The fact that R2 is the only one who knows the entire story of the saga, and is the one least able to communicate it, is one of the best jokes of the saga. Even TFA continued it!

I don't think you know what a joke is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Yaws posted:

Just awful awful stuff
Anakin is not Darth Vader.

They were owned by Leia's mom and then were passed on to Leia's adoptive father.

• Locked thread