Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yadoppsi posted:

Does anyone know how to make disloyal subjects loyal again. The favorable trade deal isn't cutting it. They were a quarter of my fleet power but now won't help in any wars. Relatively, how is relative power of subjects calculated?

If I recall this calculation is totally broken and dumb at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Decrepus posted:

How many more years until they introduce a Balanced Starts option? It is not fun to start the game with zero resources in your home system.

For real. For single player whatever, but multiplayer absolutely needs something like this. A proper empire distribution to avoid crowding in certain areas and huge wide open spaces in others is also needed (I know there's a mod for this, but it absolutely should be in the base game).

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
So I took your advice and built a fleet around Kinetic and wrecked the Unbidden, so the Awakened comes in and gets the last hit on the portal as I'm killing it and gets credit for ending the threat. loving game.

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007

LegoMan posted:

So I took your advice and built a fleet around Kinetic and wrecked the Unbidden, so the Awakened comes in and gets the last hit on the portal as I'm killing it and gets credit for ending the threat. loving game.

This happened in my ironman save and I was livid.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Does it really matter who gets the credit? Or is there an achievement for it, or what.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I wouldn't be too upset, the Unbidden are pretty common now.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Strudel Man posted:

Does it really matter who gets the credit? Or is there an achievement for it, or what.

I believe you get a global diplomatic opinion bonus along with the credit (but it's only +40 and decays at 5 per...year, IIRC - so it's very meh.)

Also there's an achievement.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE
Good News: Not the Unbidden this game.

Bad News: AI Rebellion.

I already wrecked the FEs so I should just abandon this game and start over, right?

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Last time I saw the AI rebellion was before Leviathans, but I thought they were the easiest crisis of all.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
In all my time playing Stellaris I've never seen the AI rebellion.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

TaurusTorus posted:

Last time I saw the AI rebellion was before Leviathans, but I thought they were the easiest crisis of all.

I've twice seen a message about robbits secretly building a ship, but never beyond that.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

TaurusTorus posted:

They're not difficult per se, but the Swarm or Unbidden I could probably stomp in about 2 months while the AI Rebellion will on average destroy each spaceport in your empire before you can research the detection project, which is annoying.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Is there some kind of known bug where, if you're editing difference races before starting a game, the name list menu will just show whatever name list you last selected for some other race rather than the one you currently have selected for the race you're looking at? I'm trying to make an empire of every government type for a big game and find I can't remember what name lists I've already used and it's making it hard to check.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Was Horizon Signal meant to be patched to prevent gaming it by jumping your science vessel in and out of the wormhole until it hits? Because I don't think it is.

My sci ship hit a black hole, jumped out to explore another system, found hostiles so ran straight back into the black hole and the signal event popped up.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Korgan posted:

Was Horizon Signal meant to be patched to prevent gaming it by jumping your science vessel in and out of the wormhole until it hits? Because I don't think it is.

My sci ship hit a black hole, jumped out to explore another system, found hostiles so ran straight back into the black hole and the signal event popped up.

No, I remember people complaining about the event not firing often enough, so it was patched to do the exact opposite of that.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
The patch to fix migration needs to be faster! It's so game ruining.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Taear posted:

The patch to fix migration needs to be faster! It's so game ruining.

At first I thought I didn't get problems with migration, since aliens in my empire migrate with no trouble, but then I notized the way my pops are over-eager to migrate to a new world, even if the new colony is a lot worse. That could be the same bug, or another bug. Anyway, I can understand getting hit with the alien migration bug is incredibly annoying, since I feel the same way every time a pop abandons a building on a perfect Gaia-world for some 70% habitability poo poo heap.

(Seriously, over time most of my older worlds, regardless of habitability, start to fill up with robots since I have to replace all the cowards running away. What is up with this?!)

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Demiurge4 posted:

Case in point.

This is an asteroid colony. I picked the asteroid with 75% mineral bonus, hollowed it out and combined it with 3 empty asteroids through edict decision. This single asteroid produces 156 minerals per month thanks to a prole species I took off an empire with syncretic evolution and gene modded to be industrious and have asteroid preference. I haven't unlocked mining capitals yet but when I do I can combine that with a mining planet designation and this colony will probably produce 500+ minerals per month.

Which is ridiculous.

That is a rare as gently caress asteroid colony FYI. Usually you only get size 7 or 8 asteroids.

Alphamod takes a lot of getting used to but once you've played your first game with it most everything clicks. The only things you need to know on a first play through are that it actually enables tall empire building to a point where you can compete with larger empires if you know what you're doing and that it has a gently caress ton of options. A fair number of which are fluff content meant to diversify what sort of empire you're playing and give you more options.

Also the asteroid colonization thing wasn't even a part of Alphamod. Unless it got rolled into the main package as of the 1.5 update (I know he said he was sick and tired of trying to keep the main mod and a bajillion supplementary mods updated.) then it's its own thing.

Also, yes. The mod creator is a bit nuts. Pretty sure you've gotta be nuts to make a mod of that size though so :shrug:.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Libluini posted:

At first I thought I didn't get problems with migration, since aliens in my empire migrate with no trouble, but then I notized the way my pops are over-eager to migrate to a new world, even if the new colony is a lot worse. That could be the same bug, or another bug. Anyway, I can understand getting hit with the alien migration bug is incredibly annoying, since I feel the same way every time a pop abandons a building on a perfect Gaia-world for some 70% habitability poo poo heap.

(Seriously, over time most of my older worlds, regardless of habitability, start to fill up with robots since I have to replace all the cowards running away. What is up with this?!)

Migrating in-empire is fine. Although you're right about people moving instantly to brand new planets for no real reason.

But getting aliens to come to my empire is loving impossible. I managed it on a small planet, weirdly. But no matter what I do nobody's bothered.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Taear posted:

Migrating in-empire is fine. Although you're right about people moving instantly to brand new planets for no real reason.

But getting aliens to come to my empire is loving impossible. I managed it on a small planet, weirdly. But no matter what I do nobody's bothered.

I'm never really looking closely at what happens when I make migration treaties, but I remember in a pre-Utopia game some obnoxious fuckers just flooding my empire. After Utopia I was actually glad nothing like that happened again. Now that I'm thinking about all these complaints about migration not working, I do realize the only time a migration treaty worked after the expansion was with a small empire in the middle of nowhere: They didn't migrate to the couple planets they could, but when I integrated them I found out to my surprise that several of my own pops had migrated to them, weirdly enough.

But yeah, overall a bug fix for all this weirdness would be nice.

Caustic Soda
Nov 1, 2010

Archonex posted:

That is a rare as gently caress asteroid colony FYI. Usually you only get size 7 or 8 asteroids.

Alphamod takes a lot of getting used to but once you've played your first game with it most everything clicks. The only things you need to know on a first play through are that it actually enables tall empire building to a point where you can compete with larger empires if you know what you're doing and that it has a gently caress ton of options. A fair number of which are fluff content meant to diversify what sort of empire you're playing and give you more options.

Also the asteroid colonization thing wasn't even a part of Alphamod. Unless it got rolled into the main package as of the 1.5 update (I know he said he was sick and tired of trying to keep the main mod and a bajillion supplementary mods updated.) then it's its own thing.

Well combining asteroids is intended to produce large asteroids, which is why Demiurge4 has something planet-sized in that screenshot. The asteroid you enact the edict on gets tiles added to it [1:1, I think] in proportion to another asteroid in the system, and the second asteroid then becomes uninhabitable. So if you start in Sol with its five size-5 asteroids, you can end up with a size-25 asteroid if you've the minerals to pay for it. I'm fairly certain habitable asteroids have been part of core Alphamod since sometime around Heinlein. I know for certain that it's been part of the mod before Utopia. However, AFAIK the ability to combine asteroids is new, and makes them a hell of a lot more useful than before. I hadn't seen large natural asteroids before Utopia, though, so that may be new. Sometimes they even have primitives, which is kinda bizarre.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Caustic Soda posted:

. Sometimes they even have primitives, which is kinda bizarre.

For the world is hollow and I have touched the sky.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
I may give Alphamod another try but just to respond to some of the comments based on my playthrough.

1) That asteroid colony is misleading as all hell. I opened my game before I cleared my mods to start fresh and I controlled about a 1/3rd of a 800 star map with only two systems I could find (it's a lot of stars so I might have missed some) that had more than a single asteroid. Now you could replicate that with a lucky roll on another hazardous world so it's not really all that relevant. Honestly since Demiurge had AI tech he could have forgone almost all the other non-mineral buildings (maybe keep the Prioneer farm because that's a planet unique building that generates a critical resource and a couple others I don't recognize so they may be needed) and pumped out a poo poo ton more minerals from that planet using just AI pops. However that screenshot is ignoring all the bullshit spaceport modules, the convoluted building chains that make no sense and you basically need two or three plays just to remember, or the fact that there's half a dozen ways to do one thing that usually amount to just "this building can only be built here, that building there, this building gets you 2 more energy than that building with the same water count but needs to be built at midnight by satanists." Also for Demiurge speciifcally, EXO planetary buildings don't upgrade to the resource capitals, so you won't be able to put a mining capital there.

2) Alphamod doesn't give you the option to play tall, it gives you the option to play wide on a small map footprint. You still need a lot of worlds, it's just you have options to have a lot of worlds in very few systems. Several resources come on planet unique buildings so you need planets just for those resources. You need a poo poo ton of water and depending on your available options you may be next to an ocean plan and be flooded in it, or you may only have one or two natural resources and have to find ice to break down (which requires a planetary unique building slot) or maybe you'll find an arid world that you can fill up with 1 energy/1 water producing farms which means you need another planet to support that one just for generating water.

3) The mod gives you a ton of options for play styles, but the problem is all those play styles are pointless in the game. Whether that's a problem with the game at large or the mod is up for debate, but it's a real issue. For example, and this is more of a game problem, you get a lot of buildings, spaceport modules, and chains devoted to making a utopia like empire based on attracting population via migration. Aside from the fact that migration is just broken at the moment there isn't really a point to doing it because you're not going to cripple another empire by setting up a couple large planets to collect alien pops. And they'll come in smaller amounts without it (again, assuming migration gets fixed). And all the poo poo devoted to that purpose just fills up your building and spaceport menus making it much more annoying to go about your normal business.

Edit: Oh yeah, another interesting thing you can do in the mod is exploit natural tile blockers and adjacency bonuses. However every single building devoted to that work is worse than just tearing down the tile blocker and building like normal. In one or two instances it may be useful to get a resource you don't have like biomass if you need it for some other purpose, but you can also do that by tearing down the tile blocker and putting up whatever building generates that resource at a cost you can pay via other means.

4) The mod adds so many techs that you can just get screwed out of entire chains or fairly important options. I was playing a Mechanist race so I was regularly building robotic pops and despite that I never even knew Farming Droids existed until after I had Battleships. They're literally a Tier 1 tech that just never showed up as an option for me, even as I got 3 extra research alternatives over the course of the game. After 130 years I'm still missing two tile blocker techs that I need to fully clear two of my planets.

Honestly despite all my gripping I think it could be an amazing mod, but the number of resources need to be toned down and some buildings need to be merged. For example, the separation of ice and water is just so pointless and frustrating. Yes the creator has created a purpose for each to justify the difference, but it seems like the only reason for doing that was to create that justification. Same thing with biomass and just plain food. Could probably make do with just Natural Fuels and not Actinides on top of that.

There are like 5 different buildings for generating wealth, one that takes research as maintenance, one that reduces the food output of planet by 20%, one with a high energy cost, etc... Options are great, but that could really be just taken down to one or two. Natural Fuels Converters and Nuclear Fusion Plants are two different chains, despite the fact that it's basically a direct path to upgrade from Natural Fuels Converter through it's chain and then into Nuclear Fusion Plants and into its chain. It would make so much more sense to reduce the time and cost to build those and combine those two buildings into a single long upgrade chain instead of two separate buildings. If you can't afford the Nuclear Fusion Plant extra use of Actinides, just stop the upgrade a that point till you can. Memory is getting a bit more fuzzy here but I think there were like three different Society research specific buildings that generate a resource or particular bonus, one devoted to Ambassadors, one to Unrest/Fortification and Intelligence, and one to Migration and Intelligence. Couldn't that just be combined? Ugh, getting frustrated just thinking about it now.

nessin fucked around with this message at 16:27 on May 3, 2017

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

nessin posted:

4) The mod adds so many techs that you can just get screwed out of entire chains or fairly important options. I was playing a Mechanist race so I was regularly building robotic pops and despite that I never even knew Farming Droids existed until after I had Battleships. They're literally a Tier 1 tech that just never showed up as an option for me, even as I got 3 extra research alternatives over the course of the game. After 130 years I'm still missing two tile blocker techs that I need to fully clear two of my planets.

I'm going to go ahead and call this a game problem, not a mod problem.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

GunnerJ posted:

Eh, I dunno. Sounds like there just needs to be a process that adds weight to earlier techs the later in the tree you go

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av
The AI is kind of easy to juke sometimes.

My current game was kind of stagnated, with me and another empire both controlling about half of the galaxy each and a bunch of smaller independent states have defense pacts going on with the huge empire (who I don't want to fight yet) so I couldn't really expand more or get much more leverage. I take a look at the opinions between states, and find that my nearest neighbor who are protected by the large empire have middling to good relations with the empire, mostly trust on positives and not much negatives.

I took a world I had from integrating a vassal completely inside in the large empire's territory and gave it to the neighbor, who gladly accepted such a generous gift.
Border friction immediately shot up to -150 between the two and the empire cancelled their defense pact immediately. Cue me dropping on the neighbor like a ton of bricks to plunder a bunch of their planets. :getin:

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

GunnerJ posted:

It's a both problem. Due to the way the game handles techs, a mod that introduces new techs should take that into account.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Argas posted:

It's a both problem. Due to the way the game handles techs, a mod that introduces new techs should take that into account.
This is the correct opinion. :colbert:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think that's a poor characterization of tile blockers in alphamod, some blockers are non removable and serve to give pretty significant bonuses to adjacent tiles, others enable specific buildings like forestries (which are one of the only ways other than exo colonies to get natural fuels without reducing habitability on your planet)

Also a major point is that you don't need to demolish the blocker to get the bonus, meaning that building around blockers is great for per-pop efficiency and early expansion, that you may eventually wish to demolish the blocker and develop the land is not a problem with the idea of giving blockers utility.

E: How the hell did I just roll alien pets on my homeworld?

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 21:33 on May 3, 2017

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Other blockers can vary in adjacency utility a great deal, true, but slamming some Geothermal Plants next to a volcano is crazy good.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

OwlFancier posted:

How the hell did I just roll alien pets on my homeworld?

Congrats on your dog equivalents. Focus more on the pet part

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
Good lord, the End of the Cycle is nigh-impossible to get. 5% chance of the 'pick a patron' event, 50% chance of successful contact, 2% chance of it being the end of the cycle means you only have a 0.05% chance per shroud adventure of getting it - or an average 1,386 attempts over 6,930 in-game years to have a fifty-fifty chance.

GlyphGryph posted:

Congrats on your dog equivalents. Focus more on the pet part
You don't put dogs in zoos.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Strudel Man posted:

Good lord, the End of the Cycle is nigh-impossible to get. 5% chance of the 'pick a patron' event, 50% chance of successful contact, 2% chance of it being the end of the cycle means you only have a 0.05% chance per shroud adventure of getting it - or an average 1,386 attempts over 6,930 in-game years to have a fifty-fifty chance.

You don't put dogs in zoos.

You do if they're alien dogs.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Argas posted:

You do if they're alien dogs.
If they're on your homeworld, they're not alien dogs. :colbert:

edit: I think the shroud would feel less frustrating if the unique events just removed their weighting once you've seen them, instead of redirecting to the generic event. Then instead of the generic thing getting more and more common over time, you'd have an increasing chance of seeing the other uniques, at least until you'd gotten them all. After which it would be all generic.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Strudel Man posted:

You've never seen a Thylacine.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Strudel Man posted:

Doesn't mean they're native.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
Has anyone seen the tree/fountain of life anomaly spawn lately? I saw it a few times on release, but I've played Utopia for a while and it hasn't cropped up.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

I Said No posted:

The AI is kind of easy to juke sometimes.

My current game was kind of stagnated, with me and another empire both controlling about half of the galaxy each and a bunch of smaller independent states have defense pacts going on with the huge empire (who I don't want to fight yet) so I couldn't really expand more or get much more leverage. I take a look at the opinions between states, and find that my nearest neighbor who are protected by the large empire have middling to good relations with the empire, mostly trust on positives and not much negatives.

I took a world I had from integrating a vassal completely inside in the large empire's territory and gave it to the neighbor, who gladly accepted such a generous gift.
Border friction immediately shot up to -150 between the two and the empire cancelled their defense pact immediately. Cue me dropping on the neighbor like a ton of bricks to plunder a bunch of their planets. :getin:

The AI is super, super easy to bait.

Leave some Troop transports in their territory sitting on the system's sun.
Have a fleet in the next system, ready to jump.

They'll dedicate everything they have to killing the transports. As soon as they enter the system start moving the transports to the area in the system your fleet will jump into.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Strudel Man posted:

Has anyone seen the tree/fountain of life anomaly spawn lately? I saw it a few times on release, but I've played Utopia for a while and it hasn't cropped up.

I've seen it my last two post-Utopia games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

ulmont posted:

I've seen it my last two post-Utopia games.
Guess I've just been unlucky, then. Nothing looked obviously amiss in the files for it, but those can be a bit opaque.

• Locked thread