Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

glowing-fish posted:

My Carhartts lasted four months before I ripped the crotch open. I don't know how I managed to do that.

If you don't mind wearing women's pants Red Ants are pretty drat good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

HEY NONG MAN posted:

What about Filson? Is that too niche for this discussion?

I wish they sold clothes in colors other than brown.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Thinking about malls and conspicuous consumption, you have places like The Galleria in Houston which attracts significant international customers. For The Galleria it is the wealthy and elite from Latin America, mostly Mexico, who'll fly in once or twice a year to be seen conspicuously consuming for a few days before flying back home. Though I don't know how strongly that trend is holding up these days, it used to be such a regularly occurring thing, dropping enough money into the local economy, that it'd get mentioned every now and then in the local news.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Cicero posted:

You seem to know a lot about clothing manufacture, so is there any sizable chain that sells well-made non-niche clothes for reasonable prices?

Also I do most of my clothes shopping at Uniqlo and after reading your post find myself curious how they rank on the third-world-labor-exploitativeness scale.

I wonder about Patagonia's 'sustainability' and 'fair-trade' efforts, and how true to those trumpeted terms they use to sell their clothing is to reality.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Cicero posted:

You seem to know a lot about clothing manufacture, so is there any sizable chain that sells well-made non-niche clothes for reasonable prices?

Also I do most of my clothes shopping at Uniqlo and after reading your post find myself curious how they rank on the third-world-labor-exploitativeness scale.
I at least haven't heard that Uniqlo's any worse than other companies, but honestly if you dig too far into the supply chain for any mass-market good you're going to find horrors :smith: If you're a medium-sized person with normcore fashion tastes I think Everlane is pretty good, and they do a lot with natural fabrics, but they're online-only.

HEY NONG MAN posted:

What about Filson? Is that too niche for this discussion?

What's Filson?

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

I at least haven't heard that Uniqlo's any worse than other companies, but honestly if you dig too far into the supply chain for any mass-market good you're going to find horrors :smith: If you're a medium-sized person with normcore fashion tastes I think Everlane is pretty good, and they do a lot with natural fabrics, but they're online-only.

What's Filson?

I think Filson makes outdoor stuff, I think they are from Seattle not sure on if they have a presence elsewhere. Most of the clothing companies besides Nike out of the Northwest seem like while not perfect are better than the industry as a whole.

REI & Columbia seem pretty decent and I get my limited number of jackets and some boots from them

I know as an acquaintance someone who graduated a year or two before me and she audits factories Columbia contracts production of clothes too. In order to make sure they meet some sort of international labor standards, at least thats what her profile on Linkedin says. I wonder on how often she finds things, and if the company actually acts on any abuses she finds.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 05:04 on May 3, 2017

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
I'm a woman's size 8 and I have boobs bigger than "flat" and finding clothes is a nightmare because I'm way smaller than plus sized but way too big for fancy fashion to look good on me. I'm in the Goldilocks zone of everything looking like poo poo; I went two years without owning a pair of pants. :argh: anyway, long story short, retail is bullshit.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

I'm in an awkward period of weight loss where my old clothes don't fit right anymore but I can't afford new ones/don't want to buy them until I'm at my goal weight so my sewing skills are coming in real handy. being able to customize the fit of my clothes has made it a bit easier.

my husband's work t-shirt was too big for him, so I took it in on each side to make it fitted, and somehow that got him talking to a customer/friend of his boss about it. which led to her asking if I could alter her work scrubs?? it's not the first time I've been asked to fix or alter clothing by complete strangers, and I wouldn't consider myself amazing with sewing either, just the basics.

I've never had something tailored professionally but all of my clothes aren't worth the price of that just because they're relatively inexpensive AND I've been able to do it myself so far. a lot of people don't have the time or skills to do it themselves, though.

lots of pants are too long or awkwardly baggy, so I take in the legs and hem the cuff or whatever. I had a really comfy pair of jeggings from torrid that were several sizes too large and I made them nearly skin-tight by stitching up the sides. sure, the rear end pockets are a bit wall-eyed now (this could be fixed by taking in the rear end-seam) but who cares, I have a pair of pants I don't need to waste and they'll get me through a few more months.

snoo fucked around with this message at 07:42 on May 3, 2017

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Xibanya posted:

:argh: anyway, long story short, retail is bullshit.

None of this would be a problem if our bullshit Victorian capitalism society didn't force us to buy clothes.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
How is it that even with retail as an industry collapsing, a chain like Ross Dress for Less is not only still around, but growing? I've had the misfortune of wandering in to 2 of their stores, and I've never understood how they get by on a business model that seems to be "like a garage sale, except with a storefront."

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Baronash posted:

How is it that even with retail as an industry collapsing, a chain like Ross Dress for Less is not only still around, but growing? I've had the misfortune of wandering in to 2 of their stores, and I've never understood how they get by on a business model that seems to be "like a garage sale, except with a storefront."

They are pretty cheap.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Every time I go into Marshall's (it's like a Ross) I find a few things that are decently priced but then I see there are 15 people in the cashier line and I just leave.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Baronash posted:

the former middle class who are being squeezed into poverty but don't want to admit it by shopping at goodwill/salvation army

ISeeCuckedPeople
Feb 7, 2017

by Smythe

Baronash posted:

Because they sell a wide assortment clothing for affordable prices? Their stuff is usually higher quality than Old Navy or JC Penney for that matter.

If you're low income, or want to buy things at rock bottom prices, there aren't a whole lot of options.

Wal-Mart's clothing quality went in the shitter ages ago. JC Penney isn't that much better despite their constant sales. Old Navy is a step above these two, but their fits are very specific and if their clothing doesn't fit you? You could go to Kohl's but you'll pay more than at the Marshall's, Ross, Tj Maxxs of the world.

And they carry so many brands and cuts you will likely find something that will fit you there.

I personally like Burlington Coat Factory. Although it depends on the location. Some can be very bad. But generally they seem to carry a lot nicer things than most of these discount stores. Although I've ran into Marshall's that will be stocking Brooks Brothers and Ralph Lauren Purple Label.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I think some of that varies from location to location. Like, Kohl's stores are generally pretty orderly except at the end of the summer and winter when they have a lot of surplus to dump from the overcrowded clearance racks. But I went into one outside Philadelphia that was just heaps and piles of crap everywhere.

Clothing stores like Old Navy and Kohl's operate on a weird model, though, based on constant sales designed to make you a) think you're getting more for less and b) get you to engage with the brand more.

I don't think I've ever bought anything from either store at full price (a Kohl's shirt is not worth $40 but I've never paid more than $10), and of course they have these weird programs and coupons where they send you mailers with coupons, they have days when spending $50 nets you $10 in store credit that you can only spend on certain days, etc.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 19:34 on May 3, 2017

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Baronash posted:

Discount stores like Ross, Nordstrom's Rack, TJ Maxx, etc. are pretty much the only success stories in clothing retail right now. Partly it's increased price sensitivity as people spiral into poverty, and partly it's - and I know I harp on this a lot, but it's seriously a thing killing retail - they carry extended sizes. Also for a lot of people I talk to shopping at a store like that is just more fun, a "thrill of the hunt" kind of thing. People are also way more likely to overspend when they're getting a deal, so those places are hotbeds of impulse buying.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

There's illogic on the manufacturer side too, largely focused on who they want to dress and what they want their customers to think about the brand. The vast, vast, vast majority of clothing brands want to sell to slim young white people and no one else. Even if you point out that they could have another niche of the market virtually to themselves, they won't touch it. Brands would rather sell a lot of things to a small market than a few things to a large market.
Wasn't there some backlash a while back when the CEO of Abercrombie flat-out said that they don't want ugly uncool poors wearing their clothes? And then there was a donation drive to give A&F clothes to the homeless?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Discount stores like Ross, Nordstrom's Rack, TJ Maxx, etc. are pretty much the only success stories in clothing retail right now. Partly it's increased price sensitivity as people spiral into poverty, and partly it's - and I know I harp on this a lot, but it's seriously a thing killing retail - they carry extended sizes. Also for a lot of people I talk to shopping at a store like that is just more fun, a "thrill of the hunt" kind of thing. People are also way more likely to overspend when they're getting a deal, so those places are hotbeds of impulse buying.

I cannot shop for my shoe size in your pathetic human stores.

If you're paying $10-$20 for a shirt or a pair of jeans in a lower-end clothing store, you're basically paying fair price. These things never go for their totally meaningless MSRP.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

dont even fink about it posted:

I cannot shop for my shoe size in your pathetic human stores.

If you're paying $10-$20 for a shirt or a pair of jeans in a lower-end clothing store, you're basically paying fair price. These things never go for their totally meaningless MSRP.

Hey I feel you. Do you have any idea how hard it is to find tiny, perfectly circular shoes? Especially two matching pairs at a time?

Halloween Jack posted:

Wasn't there some backlash a while back when the CEO of Abercrombie flat-out said that they don't want ugly uncool poors wearing their clothes? And then there was a donation drive to give A&F clothes to the homeless?

Yes and for extra hilarious context, this is Abercrombie guy:

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Hey I feel you. Do you have any idea how hard it is to find tiny, perfectly circular shoes? Especially two matching pairs at a time?

I have a friend who's about 5'2 but kind of built like the pillsbury doughboy who has to shop in the kids' pants section.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Halloween Jack posted:

Isn't he the guy who looks like the emperor from star wars after he got his face melted?

That's him yeah.

:lol:

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 20:00 on May 3, 2017

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

OwlFancier posted:

Isn't he the guy who looks like the emperor from star wars after he got his face melted?

That's him yeah.

:lol:

Why whatever do you mea-

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

No, that's clearly Gary Busey after he got stung by all the bees.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Mike Jeffries, now former CEO of A&F, is one of those high-functioning psychopaths you hear about, a bizarre narcissist with some interesting sexual hangups.

http://www.salon.com/2006/01/24/jeffries/

He was undone by the gradual collapse of the brand--it wasn't enough that he was becoming a bigger and bigger magnet for bad PR. When his pay was tied to business performance in 2013, that was the beginning of the end of his era.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

dont even fink about it posted:

Mike Jeffries, now former CEO of A&F, is one of those high-functioning psychopaths you hear about, a bizarre narcissist with some interesting sexual hangups.

http://www.salon.com/2006/01/24/jeffries/

He was undone by the gradual collapse of the brand--it wasn't enough that he was becoming a bigger and bigger magnet for bad PR. When his pay was tied to business performance in 2013, that was the beginning of the end of his era.

Even before he torpedoed the brand's goodwill A&F was one of those mall stores I couldn't believe was still in business. They never updated their look, ever. Even after skinny jeans became staples and color trends went to darker palettes and higher contrast, they stuck on with that rumpled laundry look. I could understand that if they were aimed at middle-aged people, but why on earth would a fourteen-year-old walk into a store that sells clothing 17 years out of date? They couldn't even manage to tap into the retro 90s grunge revival, because that's not who they sold to back then.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

Baronash posted:

Same reason why Nordstrom Rack is like Mecca.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Even before he torpedoed the brand's goodwill A&F was one of those mall stores I couldn't believe was still in business. They never updated their look, ever. Even after skinny jeans became staples and color trends went to darker palettes and higher contrast, they stuck on with that rumpled laundry look. I could understand that if they were aimed at middle-aged people, but why on earth would a fourteen-year-old walk into a store that sells clothing 17 years out of date?
A&F was the result of Mike Jeffries singular vision. Unfortunately, that vision included a fantasy of being college-age in the late 90s forever.

My guess is that a big part of the appeal was that walking into their stores was like walking into a different world. But people eventually got used to it, so that it was no more exciting than walking into a McDonald's Playland, and then it was like "Wait, why are we doing this? I hate it here."

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Nordstrom Rack is fascinating because they slyly transitioned from being an overstock/seconds outlet to having actual clothing lines specifically made for them while still convincing people that they were buying luxury goods at a discount rate.

Outlet malls did the same thing I think but since the rack is less of a destination shopping experience, it's almost more impressive.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Nordstrom Rack is fascinating because they slyly transitioned from being an overstock/seconds outlet to having actual clothing lines specifically made for them while still convincing people that they were buying luxury goods at a discount rate.

Outlet malls did the same thing I think but since the rack is less of a destination shopping experience, it's almost more impressive.

I did some holiday temp work at a Nordstrom's distribution center. My job was to unpack boxes of shoes, take out the packing material, put the shoes back in their box, slap on a price tag, and put them back in the case they came in. The thing that got me was the price tag I was putting on, the only price tag on the shoes, was a sale price for 50% off the made up normal price. So you'd have shoes that were for "sale" at nearly $150, down from a made up original price of $300.

The other thing that was an awakening to how lovely you're treated when you're working a no skill $9/hour temp job.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

SimonCat posted:

I did some holiday temp work at a Nordstrom's distribution center. My job was to unpack boxes of shoes, take out the packing material, put the shoes back in their box, slap on a price tag, and put them back in the case they came in. The thing that got me was the price tag I was putting on, the only price tag on the shoes, was a sale price for 50% off the made up normal price. So you'd have shoes that were for "sale" at nearly $150, down from a made up original price of $300.

The other thing that was an awakening to how lovely you're treated when you're working a no skill $9/hour temp job.

Was it Nordstrom's Rack or regular Nordstrom's?

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Times today:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FwMkzpT4hsTAPPg

Heliogabalos
Apr 16, 2017
you can still key in codes for the cheapest of item (for example, celery instead of organic whatever) and no one pays any attention and it saves me a fuckton of money on organic produce
Has there been any discussion of mom-and-pop retail that has been successful (obviously financially) at rebranding in the digital/experience-focused new shopping paradigm?

I am going back to sports retail management in a new city and I am noticing two trends in the niche I'll be working in: one, stores layering access by expanding to web stores and Amazon and constantly re-assessing brands and constantly testing/selling new product in small batches (and implementing classes or in-store or store-related grass-roots activities or whatever). The second trend is not currently adapting due to sunk cost fallacy and assuming a loyal customer base will remain loyal and also outsourcing grassroots stuff to affiliate groups that don't bear the name or logo of the store proper (sigh)

I've just been hired by the latter, a store still experiencing growth despite a lack of adaptation, and I want to start pushing new ideas but I want something quantifiable to link back to other than "everyone is doing it."

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Heliogabalos posted:

Has there been any discussion of mom-and-pop retail that has been successful (obviously financially) at rebranding in the digital/experience-focused new shopping paradigm?

I am going back to sports retail management in a new city and I am noticing two trends in the niche I'll be working in: one, stores layering access by expanding to web stores and Amazon and constantly re-assessing brands and constantly testing/selling new product in small batches (and implementing classes or in-store or store-related grass-roots activities or whatever). The second trend is not currently adapting due to sunk cost fallacy and assuming a loyal customer base will remain loyal and also outsourcing grassroots stuff to affiliate groups that don't bear the name or logo of the store proper (sigh)

I've just been hired by the latter, a store still experiencing growth despite a lack of adaptation, and I want to start pushing new ideas but I want something quantifiable to link back to other than "everyone is doing it."

What do you mean about the grassroots stuff? I'll admit I buy all my sporting equipment on the internet, but that's mostly because I do a male-dominated sport and stores don't carry equipment for it in female sizes.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
One needs to remember that most of the fabled "mom and pop stores" out there that failed, were those located in dying small towns and rural areas. And they die mostly because ongoing rural depopulation means they simply can't manage enough business, hell entire towns can't really manage enough business to keep going after people have continuously left them for 100 years.

Heliogabalos
Apr 16, 2017
you can still key in codes for the cheapest of item (for example, celery instead of organic whatever) and no one pays any attention and it saves me a fuckton of money on organic produce

What do you mean about the grassroots stuff? I'll admit I buy all my sporting equipment on the internet, but that's mostly because I do a male-dominated sport and stores don't carry equipment for it in female sizes.

I do too (buy online), because I'm a poor cheapskate, but hopefully not for much longer. Grassroots stuff would be like MEC (Canadian version of REI) starting its trail race series and other running events, in particular Running Room having its bi-weekly group runs and clinics which was a huge part of their success and expansion. Also, "brand" days where demo stuff can be tried out en masse and there's food and whatnot.

e: I am talking about "mom and pop" stores that are one offs, or have two or three spinoff locations in the same city and comfortably make money or small gains every season, not small town/dying city businesses.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Was it Nordstrom's Rack or regular Nordstrom's?

Rack.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

I really don't like how these horrible CEO psychos actually prove poo poo like judging people as bad because of their weird as poo poo face is correct in this instance. Because, no really, WHAT IS WRONG WITH HIS FACE?!

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Crabtree posted:

I really don't like how these horrible CEO psychos actually prove poo poo like judging people as bad because of their weird as poo poo face is correct in this instance. Because, no really, WHAT IS WRONG WITH HIS FACE?!

Botched face lift and over use of botox.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

duz posted:

Botched face lift and over use of botox.

And loooooots of fillers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Literally all I can see.