Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Floppychop posted:

Got a Nob finished up. Of course after I got him all done I made the decision that I'm going to rebase the bastard on a 32mm before I go too far painting many more. They just don't fit well on a 25mm.

I've never rebased a mini before, so here's hoping I don't end up messing up the paint too bad.

Yeah, about rebasing, how are you planning to do it and what do people typically do when they do so? I'm going to have to rebase some minis since it was easier to put the minis on corks first. Do you just seal the mini then create the footprint on the base and paint and seal the base separately, then attach them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Airbrush+compressor came in today, what primer do you guys like? When do I use thinner? What kind of that do you like?

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Vallejo Surface Primer, Vallejo Airbrush Thinner. They work great. I just found out about the thinner recently. It really helps, and no it isn't just water.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
Badger Stynylrez primers and Liquitex airbrush thinner are also good and slightly more available if you're going through Amazon.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Chill la Chill posted:

Yeah, about rebasing, how are you planning to do it and what do people typically do when they do so? I'm going to have to rebase some minis since it was easier to put the minis on corks first. Do you just seal the mini then create the footprint on the base and paint and seal the base separately, then attach them?

I'd pull them off, find where the feet are, paint the base, glue them on. I've never felt the need to seal a base before.

I also use these for models that I've already painted, they're a lifesaver:

http://eccentricminiatures.com/adapterrings.html

They're especially useful if you have a slotta base.

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Speaking of Vallejo; Ausgoons, where the hell do you get their paints? The Combat Company is ,more or less, out of stock and the local games store i used to go to blew up =(

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

mango sentinel posted:

Airbrush+compressor came in today, what primer do you guys like? When do I use thinner? What kind of that do you like?

Badger Stynylrez primer, goes on beautifully, super nice surface to paint on, needs no thinning to apply unlike others. I've previously used rattle cans and Vallejo, both are not as good.

For thinning I use Vallejo Airbrush Flow Improver and water.

Most airbrush thinners have a drying accelerant, so will create tip dry faster than flow improver, which has a mild retarder in it. (good for airbrushing).

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Irate Tree posted:

Speaking of Vallejo; Ausgoons, where the hell do you get their paints? The Combat Company is ,more or less, out of stock and the local games store i used to go to blew up =(

Vallejo is always a pain in the rear end in Australia, as they only ship to distributors twice a year, and once it's gone, it's 6 months until they get more.

I'm in Melbourne, so I use Combat Company, Metro Hobbies, and House of War in Ringwood.

But these days I'm moving away from Vallejo into Scale 75 more and more.

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Welp, that's me on Citadel for a while longer, i guess.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Chill la Chill posted:

It depends on your exact base configuration but I personally would probably just pull the mini off its temporary base, paint the base, glue the mini to its base, pin if necessary, maybe drybrush a little of the base's colors on the mini's feet/boots (representing dust/mud/whatever, tie them together a bit) then seal the whole mini at once. That's more or less what I did for my Grey Knights.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

darnon posted:

Badger Stynylrez primers and Liquitex airbrush thinner are also good and slightly more available if you're going through Amazon.

Yeast posted:

Badger Stynylrez primer, goes on beautifully, super nice surface to paint on, needs no thinning to apply unlike others. I've previously used rattle cans and Vallejo, both are not as good.

For thinning I use Vallejo Airbrush Flow Improver and water.

Most airbrush thinners have a drying accelerant, so will create tip dry faster than flow improver, which has a mild retarder in it. (good for airbrushing).

Adding my voice to the Badger Stynlrez > Vallejo choir.

I used Vallejo for a long time as I use pretty much everything else from them, but I tried Stynlrez on a whim and ended up buying a white/grey/black triad straight away. It is amazing stuff.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
Here in Germany that stuff seems to be north of 20€ for a 120ml/4oz bottle which is more than twice of what i'm paying for Vallejo.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Bistromatic posted:

Here in Germany that stuff seems to be north of 20€ for a 120ml/4oz bottle which is more than twice of what i'm paying for Vallejo.

wtf :stare:

They're roughly the same in the UK.

EDIT: £5.40 for 60ml of Badger vs £5.99 for 60ml of Vallejo.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I'm playing a Halfling Bard who has a pet Mastiff in a new D&D campaign.

I had zero motivation to paint the Halfling mini as I already painted an Elf to use but was displeased with my PC being larger than the dog, so I bought one of WOTC's pre-primed D&D minis.

I like how his cloak came out for the most part, though.

poo poo photos as I'm at work :v:

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Cross posting my (nearly) completed Space Marine Terminators.

The Doom Cogs! The Sergeant isn't done yet, I still have to do his war skirt.

These guys are an allied CAD to my AdMech army. I have 20 Tactical and 10 Terminators. Still gotta get 2 drop pods and an HQ.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains
Hi can anyone recommend a good lamp, I ditched my old one when I moved house as it was too big but Ive got the painting bug again.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.
It's been far to long since I had time to pick up a brush but managed to touch up and make some small progress on the canoness tonight. Looking forward to getting her finished and based. I think I am going to re-do the hair.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Miles O'Brian posted:

Hi can anyone recommend a good lamp, I ditched my old one when I moved house as it was too big but Ive got the painting bug again.

I use this one for painting, it's pretty nice: https://www.amazon.co.uk/TaoTronics...CCV7SJVKWFQTQRP

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains

Cool thanks, gonna get this one.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
I'm a big fan of IKEA Tertial + daylight lamp of choice.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
http://www.models-workshop.com/2016/light-arch-part-1/

Be part of the one true lighting solution, The Light Arch!

Here is mine:

dexefiend fucked around with this message at 23:47 on May 2, 2017

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I use this. Good enough for Eavy Metal, good enough for me.

It's excellent.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
It better be for £150 :popeye:

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I paid less than that from some dedicated online store. But yeah, loving awesome.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

dexefiend posted:

http://www.models-workshop.com/2016/light-arch-part-1/

Be part of the one true lighting solution, The Light Arch!

Here is mine:

This is pretty smart

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

big_g posted:

It's been far to long since I had time to pick up a brush but managed to touch up and make some small progress on the canoness tonight. Looking forward to getting her finished and based. I think I am going to re-do the hair.

I haven't found time to paint this model due to having 100 Emperor's Children crying at me for paint, but this is loving rad. My gf also bought me a little squad of sisters to go with her.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

I paid less than that from some dedicated online store. But yeah, loving awesome.

This isn't the end. Justify your extravagant lighting purchase to me further.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

TTerrible posted:

This isn't the end. Justify your extravagant lighting purchase to me further.

Every time he meets other Hams he gets to say "You know, I use the same lamp as the official Games Workshop painters :smuggo: "

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Actually, some of them still use the model with a bulb. So i actually have a better light than some Eavy Metal painters. Your move bulbailiures. :smug:

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Seriously though, don't look at the LEDs, it's like a brighter sun.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
I'm using two lamps across from each other -

but I'd like to invest in something better.

I should take a new photo since I bought a whole bunch of expensive :smug: paint racks

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
What's the bird's eye camera for?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
WiP dick pics.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Yeast posted:

I should take a new photo since I bought a whole bunch of expensive :smug: paint racks

That poo poo is so orderly what the gently caress.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Extreme Macro lens.

MasterSlowPoke posted:

What's the bird's eye camera for?

I'm beginning commission work, and in the lead up to putting up a site, I've been recording some 'how-to's' to just have on the page as neat little vids to add some content. Basing, small techniques, weathering etc :)

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

JBP posted:

That poo poo is so orderly what the gently caress.

Movie Magic*

*Terrible, terrible lies.

Warboot
Dec 13, 2012

Snuff films...Ya know, for kids!

I'm thinking about using a bone color fro the trim, but I'm unsure as it may blend in too much with all the horns and crud popping out of chaos gubbins. Any suggestions?

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Warboot posted:

I'm thinking about using a bone color fro the trim, but I'm unsure as it may blend in too much with all the horns and crud popping out of chaos gubbins. Any suggestions?

I'd recommend using bronze/brass/gold as trim. Unintended bonus- you can wash it with purple too to age it.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
I kinda like the idea of the trim also being bone but would have to see it to know if it was too much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

Yeast posted:

SPY