Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

If Portal games taught me anything, it's that a game doesn't need to be longer than it needs to be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

I love when a game turns out to be short but I'm guessing that's just because I'm old and have enough disposable income that I can buy more games than I can play.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
I'm kinda hoping that it sells enough that they do a Kamiko 2 with a bigger team and make it a full fledged 6-8 hour game.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

So for whatever reason, ACA NeoGeo Blazing Star was released on the eShop for Switch today in both North America and PAL regions.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Spellman posted:

If Portal games taught me anything, it's that a game doesn't need to be longer than it needs to be

This but Darksiders 2.

Fremry posted:

I'm kinda hoping that it sells enough that they do a Kamiko 2 with a bigger team and make it a full fledged 6-8 hour game.

Yeah same, it really could be expanded out nicely from the looks of things.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

inferis posted:

I love when a game turns out to be short but I'm guessing that's just because I'm old and have enough disposable income that I can buy more games than I can play.

Yeah, I'm happy to play one (maybe two) 100 hour games a year, but everything else I play pretty much needs to get to the drat point

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Fremry posted:

Kamiko totally has me sitting on a fence. It's really good and polished and fun, but it's so short. It's also only $5 though. I had a good time, but I beat the game with all three characters in under 3 hours. Then again, the characters all play very differently, but the "puzzles" are the same each playthrough.

Basically, I'd say it's worth $5, but you might end up as confused as I am on how to feel about it.

having a game on a nintendo console in australia that's under $10 and not total garbage is a bit rare, so i will pick it up

Mischalaniouse
Nov 7, 2009

*ribbit*

zaepg posted:

I need someone to bitch about Dragon Quest 7, with it's 70+ hour completion requirment.

I burnt out on the original Dragon Quest 7 for PSX grinding for monster class hearts and never actually completed it, so I picked it up for 3DS. I haven't started it yet though. It is an exceedingly long game; the intro sequence before the game proper starts is almost 2 hours.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

irlZaphod posted:

So for whatever reason, ACA NeoGeo Blazing Star was released on the eShop for Switch today in both North America and PAL regions.

What do you mean "for whatever reason"? Blazing Star owns and is the origin of the biggest non-AYB meme on the internet.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Fremry posted:

Kamiko totally has me sitting on a fence. It's really good and polished and fun, but it's so short. It's also only $5 though. I had a good time, but I beat the game with all three characters in under 3 hours. Then again, the characters all play very differently, but the "puzzles" are the same each playthrough.

Basically, I'd say it's worth $5, but you might end up as confused as I am on how to feel about it.

It was worth it to me, even though it's honestly more like 2 hours of gametime (1 hour for the first playthrough, and then 30-or-less for the followup speed runs). The aesthetic is my jam and I want the developer to make more, so it was worth it.

My only sort of complaint is that the "secret" is just a sound test mode. I was expecting some combo-character wrap-up final level or something so that left a bit of a bitter last-minute taste.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Takoluka posted:

What do you mean "for whatever reason"? Blazing Star owns and is the origin of the biggest non-AYB meme on the internet.
Sorry, I meant in terms of the day. Tuesday is an unusual day to release a non-retail game on the eShop.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

irlZaphod posted:

Sorry, I meant in terms of the day. Tuesday is an unusual day to release a non-retail game on the eShop.

Isn't Tuesday the release day for PSN and XBL?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Takoluka posted:

Isn't Tuesday the release day for PSN and XBL?
PSN yeah, I don't have an X-Box so I dunno there. But Thursday is typically the eShop day for NA and PAL regions, even for games which are releasing on other platforms. There's always exceptions, it just seems odd since all the other ACA NeoGeo games have dropped during the regular Thursday drop.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

eShop games have shown up on other days, so who knows.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It seems the rule is third parties can release multiplat whenever they want to be in sync with other consoles, exclusives go on Thursdays, and Nintendo first party games go on Fridays.

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 15:22 on May 3, 2017

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Hamster often drops games early in one region or another and they did it even earlier than usual this week due to a Japanese holiday.

Blazing Star is a great game, by the way.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Tumbleseed owns and the hd rumble makes switch the best platform for it.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I have found tumbleseed needlessly punishing. Pushing you all the way down the mountain if you lose a life is some bullshit 1980s rental design.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

parallelodad posted:

I have found tumbleseed needlessly punishing. Pushing you all the way down the mountain if you lose a life is some bullshit 1980s rental design.

I've only seen brief bit of gameplay but have you not been planting flags?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Overminty posted:

I've only seen brief bit of gameplay but have you not been planting flags?

You go to the flags if you fall down a hole. If you lose your three hearts you gotta start from there very beginning of the area.

tobeannouncd
Oct 2, 2011

The tiger took my family

parallelodad posted:

You go to the flags if you fall down a hole. If you lose your three hearts you gotta start from there very beginning of the area.

You can unlock teleports once you've completed enough quests.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
If other roguelikes/lites with level skipping features is an indication, using those teleports is probably a really bad idea because you'll be underpowered for the area you skipped to

tobeannouncd
Oct 2, 2011

The tiger took my family
I don't necessarily agree. I feel that with better roguelikes (except for BoI), there is value in being able to skip ahead and practice a later section. Sure, you may not have as many upgrades as if you started from the beginning, but since your upgrades aren't consistent, you can use teleporting to grind more difficult levels in order to get better at them for when you do a full, non-teleporting run. In Spelunky, for example, the worlds in order of most to least difficult are 2, 4, 1, and 3. I'm really good at worlds 1 and 3, but world 2 kicks my rear end a lot. When I'm practicing to improve my skill with world 2, I don't want to slog through world 1 every time.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Ugh I didn't really realize this game is a roguelike when I got it but it totally is. I thought it was more a puzzle/physics/platformer. I'm not really into roguelikes since I don't have much time. I enjoy the game mechanics beyond that, but the game requires a ton of patience so when you do mess up the heavy punishment is real rough.

I really do like the core mechanic and the music though so I'll probably power through.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I'm surprised you missed that because the devs keep marketing it as "TumbleSeed: a rolly roguelike"

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I have only been exposed to Nintendo's marketing of it. They are my only source of news. I'm just lucky Bill Trinen talks about science on Twitter a lot.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Here's this week's eShop Drop.

Switch

ACA NeoGeo Blazing Star | NA | PAL | ($7.99 / £6.29 / €6.99) (May 2)
Tumbleseed | NA | PAL | ($14.99 / £11.99 / €13.99) (May 2)

WiiU
Bonk's Revenge (TG-16) | NA | ($5.99)
Citadale - The Legends Trilogy | NA | PAL | ($9.00 / £7.25 / €7.49)
FIFTEEN | NA | PAL | ($1.49 / £1.39 / €1.49)
Triple Breakout | NA | PAL | ($4.99 / £4.99 / €4.99)
WinKings | NA | ($9.99)

3DS
Infinite Golf | NA | ($1.99)
Triple Breakout | NA | ($4.99)

DLC
Blaster Master 0 (EX Character: Gunvolt) | ($? / £? / €1.99, free until May 17)

Bonk's Revenge (TG-16 VC on WiiU), WinKings, Infinite Golf and the 3DS version of Triple Breakout are NA-only for now.

irlZaphod fucked around with this message at 16:11 on May 4, 2017

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Cool. Bonk's Revenge is the best Bonk.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...

irlZaphod posted:

Here's this week's eShop Drop.

Switch

ACA NeoGeo Blazing Star | NA | PAL |

BONUS! BONUS! BONUS! BONUS! BONUS! BONUS! BONUS! BONUS! BONUS! BONUS! BONUS! BONUS! BONUS! BONUS! BONUS! BONUS! BONUS! BONUS! BONUS! BONUS! BONUS! BONUS! BONUS! BONUS! BONUS! BONUS! BONUS! BONUS! BONUS! BONUS! BONUS! BONUS!

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Here's a partial drop for this week. I really wish they'd put out a PR.

Switch

ACA NeoGeo Garou: Mark of the Wolves | NA | PAL | $7.99 / £6.29 / €6.99
Dark Witch Music Episode: Rudymical | PAL | £ ? / € ?
Minecraft: Nintendo Switch Edition | NA | PAL | $29.99 / £ ? / € ?
NBA Playgrounds | NA | PAL | $19.99 / £ / €19.99 (May 9)

WiiU
Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove | PAL | £ ? / € ? (free upgrade for owners of Shovel Knight)
WinKings | PAL | £ ? / € ?

3DS
Elliot Quest | NA | PAL | $1.99 / £ ? / € ?

DLC
Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment | PAL | £ ? / € ? (free update for owners of Shovel Knight)

Both NBA Playgrounds and Minecraft are hitting the Switch eShop this week. Also Hamster are continuing to fill the eShop line-up with NeoGeo ports, which is good.

The Dark Witch Music Episode is a port of a stand-alone smartphone rhythm game which was originally a mini-game in Legend of Dark Witch 2. It's hitting the PAL Switch eShop this week apparently, no word about NA though.

Spectre of Torment is out stand-alone on WiiU in PAL regions this week also. And the Zelda 2-esque Elliot Quest is coming to 3DS.

irlZaphod fucked around with this message at 17:41 on May 8, 2017

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

mk8 deluxe reminded me that donkey kong invented dabbing look it up

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

That Specter of Torment apparently isn't coming out on EU Wii U and 3DS eShops at the same time really loving baffles me.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I'd like Minecraft on Switch but for $29.99?

Also the more I look at NBA Playgrounds the more I detest its art.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

KennyMan666 posted:

That Specter of Torment apparently isn't coming out on EU Wii U and 3DS eShops at the same time really loving baffles me.
Well it might be (unless you know more than I do), but like I said there's no PR and I forgot that it was on 3DS.

Beastie posted:

I really don't like the big heads but I dunno. If the gameplay is fun I might pick it up.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

zaepg posted:

I need someone to bitch about Dragon Quest 7, with it's 70+ hour completion requirment.

It's not the length, it's the poorly paced and constant backtracking and grind heavy job system

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Beastie posted:

I'd like Minecraft on Switch but for $29.99?

And good luck ever seeing that on sale. I don't think it's ever gone on sale on any console.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Ineffiable posted:

And good luck ever seeing that on sale. I don't think it's ever gone on sale on any console.

It hasn't on PC either since it left beta.

Does Minecraft Switch use the touch screen in any way?

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Ineffiable posted:

I think the only way I got a "sale" was when I moved from 360 to Xbox One. I think they offered it for $10-$15.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

SeANMcBAY posted:

It hasn't on PC either since it left beta.

Does Minecraft Switch use the touch screen in any way?

The Wii U version didn't even use the touch screen, so it would be surprising if the Switch edition would.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Microsoft has to make back 2.5 billion somehow